Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus?? We gone?

+30
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Cameron
duffy munn
Heat Miser
MSU addict
InTenSity
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
Nordic
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
The Pantry
34 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 Empty Re: Coronavirus?? We gone?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-16, 00:43

I can't speak to the older guys, but I think for Gen X/Y like myself and Nordic, this is absolutely a cataclysmic life defining event. Second only to, if not up there with 9/11. I don't know what kind of shit y'all went through with Vietnam and whatnot.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 00:43

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Nothing is 100% private. Example: think you own your home? Stop paying property taxes and see what happens.

True but in this case the "private" business owner didn't do anything wrong. Hell, even if a home owner stops paying property tax it takes a minute to evict them.

We are all going in a 2-week lockdown. Everyone.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 00:44

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I can't speak to the older guys, but I think for Gen X/Y like myself and Nordic, this is absolutely a cataclysmic life defining event. Second only to, if not up there with 9/11. I don't know what kind of shit y'all went through with Vietnam and whatnot.

Yes
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-03-16, 01:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I can't speak to the older guys, but I think for Gen X/Y like myself and Nordic, this is absolutely a cataclysmic life defining event. Second only to, if not up there with 9/11. I don't know what kind of shit y'all went through with Vietnam and whatnot.

In my life, most earth shattering events that changed the world, our nation, myself.

1. I’m assuming the virus
2. 9/11
3. Nixon resigns
4. Columbine
5. Vietnam
6. Kennedy assassination.
7. Jets beat the Colts in the Super Bowl announcing to the world this upstart league is just as good as the NFL.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-16, 01:02

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I completely get why these actions are being taken. But on the other hand I don't get how the government can just shut down a private business.

Nothing is 100% private. Example: think you own your home? Stop paying property taxes and see what happens.

True but in this case the "private" business owner didn't do anything wrong. Hell, even if a home owner stops paying property tax it takes a minute to evict them.

There are all sorts of rules about when & how private businesses can conduct their business. Those rules are subject to change. Hell, you have to have a business license just to open the doors. You are permitted to run a private business. That permission can be revoked at the discretion of the permitting authority.

Now...if you were to choose to ignore the directive & remain open, I doubt the cops would come and chain your doors & arrest you. However, they could do something like direct your customers to disperse (public health risk) under threat of arrest and/or issue citations with fines to the business that would offset any potential profit from remaining open. Longer term, they could revoke your business/liquor license.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-03-16, 01:34

DWags wrote:Vivid spelled backwards is divoc. What divoc is happening?

Autocorrect made you look stupid.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-03-16, 07:54

Heat Miser wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

There are all sorts of rules about when & how private businesses can conduct their business. Those rules are subject to change. Hell, you have to have a business license just to open the doors. You are permitted to run a private business. That permission can be revoked at the discretion of the permitting authority.

Now...if you were to choose to ignore the directive & remain open, I doubt the cops would come and chain your doors & arrest you. However, they could do something like direct your customers to disperse (public health risk) under threat of arrest and/or issue citations with fines to the business that would offset any potential profit from remaining open. Longer term, they could revoke your business/liquor license.

I owned my own place for 24 years and still have family in the business so I understand the rules and regulations. In this case, it's an emergency order from the governor and it's unprecedented. It's nothing like a health code or liquor law violation.

According to the director of the MLBA, there is nothing the establishments can do to fight it.

Crazy times.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-16, 08:15

[tw]1239523270417960960[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-16, 08:37

Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1239523270417960960[/tw]

Shit is getting real.

MI joins IL, OH and NYC in the Takeout only move.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-16, 08:39

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I owned my own place for 24 years and still have family in the business so I understand the rules and regulations. In this case, it's an emergency order from the governor and it's unprecedented. It's nothing like a health code or liquor law violation.

According to the director of the MLBA, there is nothing the establishments can do to fight it.

Crazy times.

In times of emergency, governments absolutely can institute restrictions on people and businesses. Plenty of precedent for this.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-03-16, 08:52

MiamiSpartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Crazy times.

In times of emergency, governments absolutely can institute restrictions on people and businesses. Plenty of precedent for this.

I'm not saying there isn't a good reason for this or that it's over-reaching. But in my lifetime (57 years) this is most certainly unprecedented. At least for this industry.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-03-16, 09:19

Home quarantine will be next.

All these moves are necessary, and I get it. But I feel awful for small business owners. And everyone who is afraid of not getting a paycheck. My heart just aches for everyone.

The government HAS to do something for the majority of the people. Whst sucks is it will take too damn long for that to happen, and only after the banks and wall street peeps get their assistance.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-16, 09:27

duffy munn wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm not saying there isn't a good reason for this or that it's over-reaching. But in my lifetime (57 years) this is most certainly unprecedented. At least for this industry.

Yeah, the F&B industry has probably been largely immune to things like this, except maybe night time shut downs during blackouts in WWII, or maybe localized shut downs during hurricanes, but that's just a day or two.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-16, 09:31

Dendrobates wrote:Home quarantine will be next.

All these moves are necessary, and I get it. But I feel awful for small business owners. And everyone who is afraid of not getting a paycheck. My heart just aches for everyone.

The government HAS to do something for the majority of the people. Whst sucks is it will take too damn long for that to happen, and only after the banks and wall street peeps get their assistance.

Exactly. They kept saying yesterday that the recent bill passed is just the 2nd inning, and there is a lot more to do. There needs to be. The effects will be long-reaching.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-16, 09:45

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 Coronavirus-5
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-16, 09:52

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 5e6a58e684159f61963287a2
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 09:55

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Crazy times.

In deed. I hope it is only needed for a short period.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-16, 09:59

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Home quarantine will be next.

Exactly. They kept saying yesterday that the recent bill passed is just the 2nd inning, and there is a lot more to do. There needs to be. The effects will be long-reaching.

My good friends opened a new restaurant literally opened in February and they are already talking about shutting down. They had a large kitchen staff, bar staff, and took on a huge expense to renovate the place. They had an incredible business model and the place was doing well just had the most unbelievable bad luck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-16, 10:04

Stocks down another 8%. Trading halted. I don't understand Wall St. Think long term you fuckers. The profits are still going to be there in 60 days.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-16, 10:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:Stocks down another 8%. Trading halted. I don't understand Wall St. Think long term you fuckers. The profits are still going to be there in 60 days.

I think this will spark a global recession that will take at least 2 years to recover from. There won't be any profits in 60 days. The cost of this will be measured in trillions.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-03-16, 10:17

Officially sent home for the foreseeable future. Working from home until who knows when.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-03-16, 10:22

So my two cousins that have been texting “it’s a hoax, media, name one person you know who has it”..... one of their brothers (my cousin obviously) is a diabetic waiting for a kidney donor, has a fever of 101 and been puking all morning.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-16, 10:24

Heat Miser wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Stocks down another 8%. Trading halted. I don't understand Wall St. Think long term you fuckers. The profits are still going to be there in 60 days.

I think this will spark a global recession that will take at least 2 years to recover from. There won't be any profits in 60 days. The cost of this will be measured in trillions.

I’m thinking worse than recession.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-16, 10:25

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 Etglju10

Actual ad/poster from the UK during WWII (credit @RealTimeWWI).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-16, 10:26

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Officially sent home for the foreseeable future. Working from home until who knows when.

Your colleagues finally figured out a way to get you out of the office. Meanwhile, they’ll all be at work dancing and drinking and having a blast now that you’re gone. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-16, 10:56

kingstonlake wrote:So my two cousins that have been texting “it’s a hoax, media, name one person you know who has it”..... one of their brothers (my cousin obviously) is a diabetic waiting for a kidney donor, has a fever of 101 and been puking all morning.....

Name one person you know who has it. Dumbfucks Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-03-16, 11:08

Crazy the reaction to this seems to go straight along party lines.

Conservative: It's a hoax manipulated by the left wing media to incite panic. Or communist china plot to crash the US economy. Best one is it's a giant conspiracy to bring down Trump.

Liberal: The world is ending. Everyone get into your bunker and prepare to die.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-16, 11:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:So my two cousins that have been texting “it’s a hoax, media, name one person you know who has it”..... one of their brothers (my cousin obviously) is a diabetic waiting for a kidney donor, has a fever of 101 and been puking all morning.....

Name one person you know who has it. Dumbfucks Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600

Given the shortage of test kits the "Name one person who has it", a deniers go to statement will be gone in a few weeks.

Kent County hinterlands is nearly unscathed......so far.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-03-16, 11:13

Whitmer's full announcement. It actually goes beyond bars and restaurants. We're all going to have skip the regularly scheduled Tuesday night meeting at the hookah bar.

[tw]1239568128805416961[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-03-16, 11:23

tGreenWay wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I’m thinking worse than recession.

I think so too.

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-16, 11:32

duffy munn wrote:Crazy the reaction to this seems to go straight along party lines.

Conservative: It's a hoax manipulated by the left wing media to incite panic. Or communist china plot to crash the US economy. Best one is it's a giant conspiracy to bring down Trump.

I haven’t heard anyone say either of those things. Is this on twitter or rcmb?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-03-16, 11:33

Yeah those texts have the potential to age very badly

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2020-03-16, 11:34; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-16, 11:34

duffy munn wrote:Crazy the reaction to this seems to go straight along party lines.

It's real and I blame Fox News. Also, sort of related see my post in the Valenti thread.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 11:40

kingstonlake wrote:

Yeah those texts have the potential to age very badly

Most are starting to come around. Last Thur I was still getting the standard issue flu/common cold txts from people. That mindset is changing quickly. But there are still going to some that don't get.

People need to realize it is not about them, but those that could have issues.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 11:41

With everyone working from home, Skype/WebEx is getting tasked hard this morning.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-03-16, 11:42

People still use Skype? Slack all day.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-16, 11:52

We switched to MS Teams last year and it's typically pretty great.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-16, 11:54

steveschneider wrote:

It's real and I blame Fox News. Also, sort of related see my post in the Valenti thread.

It's only real on the far extremes. I know plenty of people on the right who are freaking out, and the only person on the left that I know that is at all close to "end of the world" mode is you, steve.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-16, 11:58

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-16, 11:59

steveschneider wrote:

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 3 294152859

Stay off Twitter Steve
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next