Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuck Michael Jordan

+20
Nordic
Watch Out Pylon!
GRR Spartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Rocinante
aualum06
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
NigelUno
duffy munn
DWags
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
Senior Dickfist
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
24 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 Empty Re: Fuck Michael Jordan

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-13, 10:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The 'Fuck (___fill in Blank___) is one of my signature thread titles. It shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Fuck you Steve. No

Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-05-13, 11:52

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105801/ranking-top-74-nba-players-all-nos-10-1

30.1 PPG, 22.9 RPG, 4.4 APG

"Chamberlain was truly ahead of his time. His numbers -- including scoring an NBA-record 100 points in a single game and averaging 50 points per game for an entire season -- are mythical. The only reason he doesn't rank higher on lists of the all-time greats is he won "only" two NBA championships."

I wish there was more footage of him. I'd love to see what kind of stuff he had in his prime. I remember taking a deep dive into all of his accomplishments and he is a freak of nature in terms of an athlete. All his track and field accomplishments, his bench press, the amount of three somes he was in to his basketball game there's no question the guy was a Bo Jackson level genetic freak of nature.

Wilt basically just overpowered people. He also had a great touch around the rim and was an outstanding passer. ( when he wanted to be).
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-13, 12:33

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I wish there was more footage of him. I'd love to see what kind of stuff he had in his prime. I remember taking a deep dive into all of his accomplishments and he is a freak of nature in terms of an athlete. All his track and field accomplishments, his bench press, the amount of three somes he was in to his basketball game there's no question the guy was a Bo Jackson level genetic freak of nature.

Wilt basically just overpowered people. He also had a great touch around the rim and was an outstanding passer. ( when he wanted to be).

Is there a good source of footage to watch him in his prime?

I watched an interview with Kareem on the Dan Patrick show because of this thread. Dan said in terms of being the GOAT he feels like he gets short changed in the discussion. Kareem said he was like Roberto Clemente, he made it look too easy and because of his height people didn't appreciate how hard he worked at it. He also said his main passion was baseball and he wanted to be a pitcher. Would be something else to watch someone even taller than Randy Johnson on the mound.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-13, 13:39

Max is back. Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600

[ig]B_c3aYpA2BN[/ig]
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-13, 13:48

Is that the kid from those funny rap videos about John Starks?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-13, 13:57

Froggy Fresh?

No. This Max kid does impression videos. Has some pretty funny Zion content.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-13, 14:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Froggy Fresh?

No. This Max kid does impression videos. Has some pretty funny Zion content.

Yeah. That's it. This is the video I kept thinking of while watching that.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-05-13, 16:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Max is back. Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600

[ig]B_c3aYpA2BN[/ig]

OTPT > Max > James
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-05-13, 16:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Max is back. Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 502811600

[ig]B_c3aYpA2BN[/ig]

These dudes do some real good stuff

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-05-13, 16:39

First of all, I don't have a problem MJ. He's a jerk at times, of course. He competes and he wins. He's a basketball player. Competing and winning is their job.

That said.. can we talk about the bloodshot eyes? What's up with that?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-15, 08:07

Michael Jordan Faced Better Competition Than LeBron James
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/michael-jordan-faced-better-competition-than-lebron-james/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-05-15, 09:52

duffy munn wrote:Wilt basically just overpowered people. He also had a great touch around the rim and was an outstanding passer. ( when he wanted to be).

Size, strength and athleticism.  In athletics, sometimes an athlete comes along that is simply at a different level in this regard.  Golf is easy to see in this regard as both Jack and Tiger were simply different compared to the field.  It's harder to notice in team sports.  Magic was unique because he was this great point-guard in a forward's body. Unique.  James and Jordan, great athletes and players, not game-changing, but just better.  Wilt was simply different than anyone in basketball.  There were big men, but none combined that size with his power and athletic abilities. There was no matching his abilities, at least until the field itself started to change.

Think of this - the NBA record for most rebounds in a game is 55 set by Chamberlain.  Impressive, right?!   He did it against Bill Russell.  That says everything I need to know about Wilt......
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 10:16

Turtleneck wrote:Michael Jordan Faced Better Competition Than LeBron James
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/michael-jordan-faced-better-competition-than-lebron-james/

I hope some day there's a time machine invented so I can watch Lebron's teams and the Warriors teams destroy the Bulls.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-05-15, 10:23

LMAO
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 10:42

aualum06 wrote:

LMAO

That's what I thought. I think people are looking back on that era with rose colored glasses. Yes, Jordan was unbelievable but all of a sudden a 10 part doc comes out and suddenly he's on a different planet from everyone else. It's like okay pump the breaks a little.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-15, 10:57

Steve and Alum, can you address the flaws in the methodology and how you would measure it differently?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 11:05

Turtleneck wrote:Steve and Alum, can you address the flaws in the methodology and how you would measure it differently?

How many Dynasties did Jordan go up against? Maybe Lakers and Pistons but both teams were running on bald tires at that point. Lebron beat the Spurs, and Warriors.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-05-15, 11:08

Turtleneck wrote:Steve and Alum, can you address the flaws in the methodology and how you would measure it differently?

The depth of the league and the way the game has changed. You have 8-9 guys on the floor that can score from anywhere in every game every night in the league now. I'm not saying the Bulls wouldn't compete now they would but they would be totally blown away by the scoring depth on every team.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 11:10

aualum06 wrote:

The depth of the league and the way the game has changed. You have 8-9 guys on the floor that can score from anywhere in every game every night in the league now. I'm not saying the Bulls wouldn't compete now they would but they would be totally blown away by the scoring depth on every team.

Today's bigs shooting would pull Rodman and Horace Grant away from the basket and take away their rebounding edge. Also, Rodman would get whistled with flagrant fouls and face ejections.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-05-15, 11:13

steveschneider wrote:

How many Dynasties did Jordan go up against? Maybe Lakers and Pistons but both teams were running on bald tires at that point. Lebron beat the Spurs, and Warriors.

The NBA in the Jordan Bulls years was watered down by expansion. 1988 - Hornets and Heat. 1989 - Timberwolves and Magic. 1995 - Grizzlies and Raptors. There hasn't been expansion since 2002 and what we've seen in recent years is the coordinated movement of elite players seeking to form super-teams to compete. It's not a watered down league anymore but a stratification approach where fewer teams are able to compete. It's not a deep league these days like the Celtics, Lakers and Pistons faced in the 80s as the expansion in the 70s had settled down. But it's also not the Globetrotters-Generals dynamic that the Bulls had either....
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 11:29

It is inane shit but I like how arguments about GOAT is so prevalent to NBA hoops. You never hear for MLB, if Kofax was here he'd have an 18-0 record. Or Babe Ruth would have 90 HRs a year. Or Stengal's Yankees would destroy the Astros. Only the NBA. They even have hot takes shows that go over the same old 'What if' and 'Goat arguments' every fucking year.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-05-15, 11:32

steveschneider wrote:It is inane shit but I like how arguments about GOAT is so prevalent to NBA hoops. You never hear for MLB, if Kofax was here he'd have an 18-0 record. Or Babe Ruth would have 90 HRs a year. Or Stengal's Yankees would destroy the Astros. Only the NBA. They even have hot takes shows that go over the same old 'What if' and 'Goat arguments' every fucking year.

That's because in every other sport people admit that the players are bigger faster and stronger
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 11:54

aualum06 wrote:
steveschneider wrote:It is inane shit but I like how arguments about GOAT is so prevalent to NBA hoops. You never hear for MLB, if Kofax was here he'd have an 18-0 record. Or Babe Ruth would have 90 HRs a year. Or Stengal's Yankees would destroy the Astros. Only the NBA. They even have hot takes shows that go over the same old 'What if' and 'Goat arguments' every fucking year.

That's because in every other sport people admit that the players are bigger faster and stronger

True that. I also get sick of this 'he's a psycho with a killer instinct that no one today could match' but then you see guys like Duncan, Kareem and Shaq with a shit load of rings and all are great guys.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heathens '87 2020-05-15, 11:57

aualum06 wrote:

Correct. It's clearer in other sports. Golf, basketball and boxing tend to lend themselves to ignoring the progression in athletic ability in such arguments.
Heathens '87
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-15, 12:25

Heathens '87 wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Wilt basically just overpowered people. He also had a great touch around the rim and was an outstanding passer. ( when he wanted to be).

Size, strength and athleticism.  In athletics, sometimes an athlete comes along that is simply at a different level in this regard.  Golf is easy to see in this regard as both Jack and Tiger were simply different compared to the field.  It's harder to notice in team sports.  Magic was unique because he was this great point-guard in a forward's body.  Unique.  James and Jordan, great athletes and players, not game-changing, but just better.  Wilt was simply different than anyone in basketball.  There were big men, but none combined that size with his power and athletic abilities.  There was no matching his abilities, at least until the field itself started to change.

Think of this - the NBA record for most rebounds in a game is 55 set by Chamberlain.  Impressive, right?!   He did it against Bill Russell.  That says everything I need to know about Wilt......

Wilt was clearly the best rebounder of his era, but I'm not entirely sure how impressed we should be by it. Look at this leaderboard. It's all in the 50s and 60s. I think guys just chucked up whatever shot they felt like back then. The teams were putting up 160 (Wilt's team scored 169 when he hit 100, I believe). What I'm picturing in my head is kind of hilarious.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-05-15, 12:56

Michael Jordan and the Tragedy of the Bully

"One does not need to be “like Mike” to achieve greatness. Just ask Bill Russell."
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-15, 14:12

Heat Miser wrote:Michael Jordan and the Tragedy of the Bully

"One does not need to be “like Mike” to achieve greatness. Just ask Bill Russell."

Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 1486952199 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 1486952199 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 1486952199 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 1486952199 Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 1486952199
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-05-17, 13:47

Fun MSU twitter content. Miles is ready to take on his boss.

[tw]1261895627518226432[/tw]

Charlie tells him to sit the hell down.

Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 Ieeqxw3
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-17, 14:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Fun MSU twitter content. Miles is ready to take on his boss.

[tw]1261895627518226432[/tw]

Charlie tells him to sit the hell down.

Fuck Michael Jordan - Page 6 Ieeqxw3

I love it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-17, 14:36

aualum06 wrote:

We covered that 200 posts ago...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-17, 14:50

Because Anybody who doesn’t say Willie Mays was the best that ever lived isn’t worth talking to. Just ignore and move on. As I will if anyone wants to try to say Ruth Gehrig Cobb Wagner. There is Mays and then there is all the others you can romance about.

Period
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-05-17, 14:58

Turtleneck wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

We covered that 200 posts ago...

Also people care less about MLB

Also fewer players + better singular player marketing = more impact = more discussion over goat status
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-17, 15:07

DWags wrote:

Because Anybody who doesn’t say Willie Mays was the best that ever lived isn’t worth talking to. Just ignore and move on. As I will if anyone wants to try to say Ruth Gehrig Cobb Wagner. There is Mays and then there is all the others you can romance about.

Period

You’re so dumb. The answer is Bobby Higginson. Prove me wrong. You can’t.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-05-17, 15:26

DWags wrote:

Period

Baseball writers should honor Willie Mays wish and put Barry Bonds in the HOF. Long over due.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-17, 15:41

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:

Period

Baseball writers should honor Willie Mays wish and put Barry Bonds in the HOF. Long over due.

Willie Mays a ability vs his judgement of others are separate things
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-05-17, 16:26

[tw]1262073401855934466[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-17, 16:31

First of all, the numbers say Barry Bonds was the greatest player ever.

Second of all, it's worth noting that Babe Ruth had a career 2.28 ERA and won 20+ games twice. If he had played against non-white players, it would be hard to argue anyone but Ruth.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-17, 16:36

Cameron wrote:First of all, the numbers say Barry Bonds was the greatest player ever.

Second of all, it's worth noting that Babe Ruth had a career 2.28 ERA and won 20+ games twice. If he had played against non-white players, it would be hard to argue anyone but Ruth.

Glad you agree it’s Mays Cameron

No more need to discuss it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-05-17, 16:42

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:First of all, the numbers say Barry Bonds was the greatest player ever.

I didn't mention Willie Mays at all.

I would like to modify my statement about the numbers and Bonds, however. I would rephrase it to say that the numbers show Bonds reached the highest peak ever (without regard for whether or not the league was integrated). If we exclude pre-integration, then Bonds's career numbers as a whole are the best. Otherwise it pretty much has to be Ruth.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-05-17, 16:48

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

I didn't mention Willie Mays at all.

I would like to modify my statement about the numbers and Bonds, however. I would rephrase it to say that the numbers show Bonds reached the highest peak ever (without regard for whether or not the league was integrated). If we exclude pre-integration, then Bonds's career numbers as a whole are the best. Otherwise it pretty much has to be Ruth.

Agree. It’s Mays.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next