Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus - The Political Side

+28
TrapperGus
Green money
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
Motown Spartan
Dendrobates
msugolfguy
I.B. Fine
Heat Miser
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
Jake from State Farm
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
AvgMSUJoe
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Rocinante
Watch Out Pylon!
NigelUno
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
DWags
MattyFresh
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
32 posters

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Coronavirus - The Political Side - Page 22 Empty Re: Coronavirus - The Political Side

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-01, 09:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:serious question: does this angry, violent "anti-mask", "anti-vaccine", the "virus is a hoax" movement ultimately hurt the GOP?

I feel like we think these people are a majority, only because they have such a social media/mainstream media microphone. However, I suspect a majority of average folks sitting around at home looks at them like they're death-starved lunatics being embraced by the mainstream GOP, thereby turning off the folks at home just trying to stay healthy and keep their kids healthy in hopes of returning to some form of 'normal'.

not to mention, the GOP is killing their own base/electorate.

am I believe overly naive here? It's happened before.

This is all about getting these people to send in the $50 donations every week, and to that end it works very well.

The issues that these people care about, the anti-mask, anti- vax, anti-abortion stuff are not the main issues for the Republican politicians, though they are very happy to pass laws in support, because many of them don't care about these issues. The issues they do care about are serving their corporate overlords interests, cutting taxes and government to give more power to there overlords.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus - The Political Side - Page 22 Empty Re: Coronavirus - The Political Side

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-01, 09:49

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:serious question: does this angry, violent "anti-mask", "anti-vaccine", the "virus is a hoax" movement ultimately hurt the GOP?

I feel like we think these people are a majority, only because they have such a social media/mainstream media microphone. However, I suspect a majority of average folks sitting around at home looks at them like they're death-starved lunatics being embraced by the mainstream GOP, thereby turning off the folks at home just trying to stay healthy and keep their kids healthy in hopes of returning to some form of 'normal'.

not to mention, the GOP is killing their own base/electorate.

am I believe overly naive here? It's happened before.

This is all about getting these people to send in the $50 donations every week, and to that end it works very well.

The issues that these people care about, the anti-mask, anti- vax, anti-abortion stuff are not the main issues for the Republican politicians, though they are very happy to pass laws in support, because many of them don't care about these issues. The issues they do care about are serving their corporate overlords interests, cutting taxes and government to give more power to there overlords.

I think its a good strategy too to keep your politicians in power. Say a rep says Biden won the election, in a gerrymandered district you can just primary that guy with a lunatic, or someone that can say all the right cultural war BS/lunacy and odds are good you'll get someone else in that will serve your interests even better.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-01, 09:56

steveschneider wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

The issues that these people care about, the anti-mask, anti- vax, anti-abortion stuff are not the main issues for the Republican politicians, though they are very happy to pass laws in support, because many of them don't care about these issues.  The issues they do care about are serving their corporate overlords interests, cutting taxes and government to give more power to there overlords.

I think its a good strategy too to keep your politicians in power. Say a rep says Biden won the election, in a gerrymandered district you can just primary that guy with a lunatic, or someone that can say all the right cultural war BS/lunacy and odds are good you'll get someone else in that will serve your interests even better.

Given that the real owners of the Party, aka the Billionaires,  goal is the destruction of the existing form of government in favor of a form where they have all the power having all these dysfunctional nuts in Congress is a complete win.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-07, 00:02

Well this really will be funny. Over under on how many dumb asses go get vipers

[tw]1433220650169159683?s=21[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 07:52

DWags wrote:Well this really will be funny. Over under on how many dumb asses go get vipers

[tw]1433220650169159683?s=21[/tw]

The Hill has always been hugely a rwnj media outlet, however snake handling is hardcore.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 11:09

Republician State Government enacts Death Panels.

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-idaho-db21f9a14254996144e78aafb1518259
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-07, 12:13

TrapperGus wrote:Republician State Government enacts Death Panels.

https://apnews.com/article/business-health-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-idaho-db21f9a14254996144e78aafb1518259

Not surprising. I recently had a mini-stroke and was turned away from three hospitals. Only got into the fourth one because the EMT knew someone in the emergency room.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-07, 16:50

Jake from State Farm wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:Republician State Government enacts Death Panels.

Not surprising. I recently had a mini-stroke and was turned away from three hospitals. Only got into the fourth one because the EMT knew someone in the emergency room.

You all good bro?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-07, 17:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

You all good bro?

Yeah, I'm fine. Scared the crap out of me though. Driving north on 127 just north of St Johns. Lost all my vision and my wife had to tell me where to steer to get off the road. Luckily traffic was light and the road was straight. I did miss a guard rail by a couple of inches. My vision came back on the ride to the hospital and doc said there's nothing they could do for me that I wasn't already doing.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-07, 18:25

You all good bro?

Yeah, I'm fine. Scared the crap out of me though. Driving north on 127 just north of St Johns. Lost all my vision and my wife had to tell me where to steer to get off the road. Luckily traffic was light and the road was straight. I did miss a guard rail by a couple of inches. My vision came back on the ride to the hospital and doc said there's nothing they could do for me that I wasn't already doing.

My dad had several of those. I don't think he ever lost vision, but I think would get blurry vision. Also, sometimes it would be slurring his speech, dizziness, or I think tingling in his arms/hands. It wouldn't always be the same symptoms when one started.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-07, 18:30

You all good bro?

Wow, glad you’re better. My brother had what sounded like the same thing. He’s doing fine. Glad to hear you’re doing well.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-08, 07:36

Migraine headaches are something like that.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-09-08, 08:06

You all good bro?

damn, that's terrifying. Glad things are okay.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-08, 22:40

You all good bro?

Geez. Glad you're OK.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-08, 22:59

Wishing you good health Jake.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-09, 14:28

That’s scary AF, Jake. Very happy to hearing you’re better. Are you on a blood thinner now?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-09, 16:33

tGreenWay wrote:That’s scary AF, Jake. Very happy to hearing you’re better. Are you on a blood thinner now?

Thanks. Yep on blood thinner and have been for several years now. Even need to be bridged with lovenox if I need surgery or anything like that. I'm figuring this time the clot came from being on prednisone for a bad case of poison ivy. Side affect of prednisone is dislodging little pieces of plaque from your arteries, either that or the Moderna shots I got Wink
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-10, 20:00

Florida had 1200 Covid deaths in a single day. 😬

A single day. What a tragedy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-10, 20:17

Meh, what's the big deal with requiring vaccinations: Measles cases halt Afghan evacuee flights from two key bases
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-11, 08:03

steveschneider wrote:Florida had 1200 Covid deaths in a single day. 😬

Fucking steve. There were over 1200 deaths REPORTED on Thursday (the 9th). On the 2nd (one week earlier) there were over 1300, but you must have missed that sensationalist tweet. But the context is that there were only 7 the day before that. And 0 a couple if days before that. And 3 yesterday. There were also a couple of days in the 300-600 death range in the last week.

In other words, they list them for the day they were reported, not the day they died. And they get reported in batches. 7 day average is between 300-400, I believe (still absolutely awful and preventable).

Context matters. Of course, every one of those (that week and other weeks) is a horrible tragedy, and DeathSantis is responsible for most of them. But for as much as you get on the media, don't then buy into the sensationalism just because the headline is negative about someone that you disagree with politically.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-14, 07:47

[tw]1437543320402628609?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-14, 07:53

steveschneider wrote:[tw]1437543320402628609?s=21[/tw]

The 2021 version of "Get a brain! Morans"

Coronavirus - The Political Side - Page 22 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-14, 07:56

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Florida had 1200 Covid deaths in a single day. 😬

Fucking steve. There were over 1200 deaths REPORTED on Thursday (the 9th). On the 2nd (one week earlier) there were over 1300, but you must have missed that sensationalist tweet. But the context is that there were only 7 the day before that. And 0 a couple if days before that. And 3 yesterday. There were also a couple of days in the 300-600 death range in the last week.

In other words, they list them for the day they were reported, not the day they died. And they get reported in batches. 7 day average is between 300-400, I believe (still absolutely awful and preventable).

Context matters. Of course, every one of those (that week and other weeks) is a horrible tragedy, and DeathSantis is responsible for most of them. But for as much as you get on the media, don't then buy into the sensationalism just because the headline is negative about someone that you disagree with politically.

Thank you. I was fed an inaccurate conclusion to the data. Glad to have it right now.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-14, 08:02

Floyd Robertson wrote:
steveschneider wrote:[tw]1437543320402628609?s=21[/tw]

The 2021 version of "Get a brain! Morans"

Coronavirus - The Political Side - Page 22 502811600

It’s a funny image but in the spirit of Miamispartans post about context the back side of the sign has this message as well.

[tw]1437544630992637958?s=21[/tw]

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-14, 08:50

I’m gonna assume it’s just a coincidence that Grand Rapids Christian on the high school side, and Northwood on the college side, lead the state in covid outbreaks in the last two weeks?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2021-09-14, 10:01

kingstonlake wrote:I’m gonna assume it’s just a coincidence that Grand Rapids Christian on the high school side, and Northwood on the college side, lead the state in covid outbreaks in the last two weeks?

Nope.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-14, 10:16

msugolfguy wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I’m gonna assume it’s just a coincidence that Grand Rapids Christian on the high school side, and Northwood on the college side, lead the state in covid outbreaks in the last two weeks?

Nope.

All glory to god.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-09-15, 14:27

Now in from the coronavirus real irony of the week:

Conservative radio host Pastor Robert "Bob" Enyart, who swore off Covid-19 vaccines, has died from complications due to the virus, his co-host announced on social media Monday.
"It comes with an extremely heavy heart that my close friend and co-host of Real Science Radio has lost his battle with Covid," said co-host Fred Williams on Facebook.
In October, Enyart won a lawsuit against the state of Colorado over its Covid-19 restrictions, CNN has reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/media/bob-enyart-death-covid/index.html

Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:06

According to data from Johns Hopkins University, more than 353,000 coronavirus deaths have been reported this year, topping the 352,000 recorded in 2020.

Vaccines were supposed to be the answer. We don't need to have restrictions on restaurants or entertainment, we don't have to wear masks everywhere, and everybody can go back to work in person. Business as usual. Just wash your hands, ya filthy animals.

But we're seeing more people die than we did last year when we were just getting started with vaccines and overcoming the idiocy of a presidential administration turning science in to politics.

And no one seems to be all that fussed about it.

Are we burned out? Entrenched? Afraid to rock the boat now that our president is someone else?

Am I the only one that finds this curious?
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-13, 10:15

President Biden's approval ratings have dropped, mostly due to the ongoing pandemic, and there is an ongoing effort by the Conservatives to make this the number one political issue in this country, so not seeing the "nobody seems all that fussed about it."

On a positive side, MSU & UofM have mandated vaccinations and it has caused a 10 fold reduction in covid infections, even with higher infection rates in the surrounding areas and much higher in person class attendance.

As to why vaccines are not cutting the numbers, well it is because Conservatives are trying to kill as many people as \possible by running a 24/7 anti-vac campaign. With the R number for the Delta version we need 90% plus vaccination rates and a 65% rate doesn't drop the numbers, although those who are vaccinated are mostly safe from serious illness.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:21

TrapperGus wrote:President Biden's approval ratings have dropped, mostly due to the ongoing pandemic, and there is an ongoing effort by the Conservatives to make this the number one political issue in this country, so not seeing the "nobody seems all that fussed about it."

On a positive side, MSU & UofM have mandated vaccinations and it has caused a 10 fold reduction in covid infections, even with higher infection rates in the surrounding areas and much higher in person class attendance.

As to why vaccines are not cutting the numbers, well it is because Conservatives are trying to kill as many people as \possible by running a 24/7 anti-vac campaign. With the R number for the Delta version we need 90% plus vaccination rates and a 65% rate doesn't drop the numbers, although those who are vaccinated are mostly safe from serious illness.

I'm about as pro-vax as you can get. These anti-vax idiots need to FOAD. That being said.... how do the number of deaths INCREASE when we have more people vaccinated at this time than we did last year?
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2021-10-13, 10:22

Bredo Morstoel wrote:According to data from Johns Hopkins University, more than 353,000 coronavirus deaths have been reported this year, topping the 352,000 recorded in 2020.

Vaccines were supposed to be the answer. We don't need to have restrictions on restaurants or entertainment, we don't have to wear masks everywhere, and everybody can go back to work in person. Business as usual. Just wash your hands, ya filthy animals.

But we're seeing more people die than we did last year when we were just getting started with vaccines and overcoming the idiocy of a presidential administration turning science in to politics.

Are we burned out? Entrenched? Afraid to rock the boat now that our president is someone else?

Fussed? We're still seeing reports of hospitals overflowing and people are still pissed. We literally have private business trying to do the right thing and states trying to over turn business.

What planet do you live on where it's not a fuss. School boards are being harassed over possible masks.

Grow up.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2021-10-13, 10:23

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:President Biden's approval ratings have dropped, mostly due to the ongoing pandemic, and there is an ongoing effort by the Conservatives to make this the number one political issue in this country, so not seeing the "nobody seems all that fussed about it."

I'm about as pro-vax as you can get. These anti-vax idiots need to FOAD. That being said..... how do the number of deaths INCREASE when we have more people vaccinated at this time than we did last year?

Delta is spreading faster and is slightly more deadly. It's been reported.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:26

Additionally, I believe COVID will be the least of Biden's issues in the near future. Covid, Afghanistan, and the boarder will all be secondary to the coming recession. Inflation, "supply chain issues," (whatever their cause may be, I use the term generically) and an unraveling labor market are going to ultimately lead to stagflation right about the time the Democrats are looking to get re-elected.

As the great James Carville once said, "It's the economy, stupid."
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-13, 10:27

Bredo Morstoel wrote:

I'm about as pro-vax as you can get. These anti-vax idiots need to FOAD. That being said..... how do the number of deaths INCREASE when we have more people vaccinated at this time than we did last year?

The "original" covid has about an R rating of 1 to 2 while the Delta version has an R rating of about 4 to 6.

The R rating is a measure of how many people a person who has covid will give covid to, so now one person with covid infects 4 to 6 other people when last year one person with covid would infect 1 to 2 other people. This all means that it takes many fewer infections now to spread covid at the same rate.

All the data is showing that we are having an pandemic of the unvaccinated. The people who are refusing to vaccinate are the ones' who are getting sick and dying.

As the numbers from MSU & UofM show, vaccinations work.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:28

msugolfguy wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:According to data from Johns Hopkins University, more than 353,000 coronavirus deaths have been reported this year, topping the 352,000 recorded in 2020.

Fussed? We're still seeing reports of hospitals overflowing and people are still pissed. We literally have private business trying to do the right thing and states trying to over turn business.

What planet do you live on where it's not a fuss. School boards are being harassed over possible masks.

Grow up.

Businesses are open.

People are being asked to return to offices.

There are very few mask "mandates" anywhere.

Governors aren't holding weekly press briefings any longer.

You can quip "Grow up" but there is a marked difference from 2019 and 2020. America is "over it" and I can't understand why.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:29

msugolfguy wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

So if that's the case, why aren't some of the measures enacted during 2019 and 2020 being enacted now? Why are elected officials sitting on their hands and everybody is acting like it's business as normal?
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-13, 10:36

Bredo Morstoel wrote:Additionally, I believe COVID will be the least of Biden's issues in the near future. Covid, Afghanistan, and the boarder will all be secondary to the coming recession. Inflation, "supply chain issues," (whatever their cause may be, I use the term generically) and an unraveling labor market are going to ultimately lead to stagflation right about the time the Democrats are looking to get re-elected.

As the great James Carville once said, "It's the economy, stupid."

To start with in reply, a recession is when the country's GDP goes down.

Although most reports I have seen say that the GDP growth for 2021 might not hit the 6 to 8% expected at the beginning of the year it will be in the 4 to 6% range.

To predict a recession with that level of growth in 2021 seems to me to be unlikely.

The number one issue for Biden is still covid, which continues to cause issues. It is the reason we are seeing ups and lesser ups in the economy. However, Biden is taking steps, such as mandates & help for the shipping, to improve the situation. When covid is under control the economy will settle down.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-lifestyle-health-covid-19-pandemic-travel-4826edefa498139ebd37684e4f64d553
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2021-10-13, 10:38

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

So if that's the case, why aren't some of the measures enacted during 2019 and 2020 being enacted now? Why are elected officials sitting on their hands and everybody is acting like it's business as normal?

Legislation has been passed to limit governments power. We aren't issuing emergency orders.

Yet we still see reports of hospitals being overwhelmed. You see administration begging for help and most states are we can't because our hands our tied.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel 2021-10-13, 10:42

msugolfguy wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

Legislation has been passed to limit governments power. We aren't issuing emergency orders.

Yet we still see reports of hospitals being overwhelmed. You see administration begging for help and most states are we can't because our hands our tied.

That's an excuse, not a reason.

If we were treating this seriously, those with their hands tied would be making a bigger fuss.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next