Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elon Musk and Twitter

+29
InTenSity
gomersbro
msugolfguy
TravelinMan
Jake from State Farm
MiamiSpartan
Wally Fairway
steveschneider
Pervis Muldoon
sεяεηιτλ
tGreenWay
aualum06
PennSpartan
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Rick Saunders
Bredo Morstoel
Motown Spartan
Cameron
NigelUno
RQA
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
NumbersDude
33 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Elon Musk and Twitter - Page 9 Empty Re: Elon Musk and Twitter

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-11, 11:01

This must be a plan to destroy twitter for a tax write off.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-11, 11:09

Trapper Gus wrote:This must be a plan to destroy twitter for a tax write off.
I wouldn’t have a problem with that. As much as I feel for the employees, that platform has become a cancer (before Musk) and needs to go. Good riddance.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-11, 11:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:It’s an absolute shitstorm over there right now. Elon is even talking about bankruptcy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/twitter-elon-musk-not-great_n_636d2ae2e4b0343861412df7
wait a second..

some whiny, rich, insecure, white guy can't run a lemonade stand without fucking it up? I don't believe it. Elon Musk and Twitter - Page 9 502811600

Some of the fake accounts are tweeting some funny stuff.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Robert J Sakimano and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2022-11-11, 12:30

I doubt that was the plan. He may say it later to save face, though.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-11, 12:41

Pervis Muldoon wrote:

I doubt that was the plan. He may say it later to save face, though.

Plan? I doubt there was, or is, a plan.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-11, 15:48

One takeaway from the Q documentary on HBO is just how horrible actual free speech is. At certain point guidelines and moderation becomes necessary.

Rutherford, NJ has a free speech issue that's developing the Nazi Gavin McCines wants to hold an event at a venue and the mayor shut it down. He was advised by the police that it would be a problematic event. I'd also be willing to be that any bar or restaurant close to the venue supports the mayors decision.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-12, 10:54

steveschneider wrote:One takeaway from the Q documentary on HBO is just how horrible actual free speech is. At certain point guidelines and moderation becomes necessary.

Rutherford, NJ has a free speech issue that's developing the Nazi Gavin McCines wants to hold an event at a venue and the mayor shut it down. He was advised by the police that it would be a problematic event. I'd also be willing to be that any bar or restaurant close to the venue supports the mayors decision.

Free Speech is that the government cannot put you in jail because of what you are saying.

It has morphed into the idea of being able to say anything, anywhere, at any time.  Which is not correct.

Stating opinions verses taking physical actions are not the same things.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 15:17

Trapper Gus wrote:
steveschneider wrote:One takeaway from the Q documentary on HBO is just how horrible actual free speech is. At certain point guidelines and moderation becomes necessary.

Free Speech is that the government cannot put you in jail because of what you are saying.

It has morphed into the idea of being able to say anything, anywhere, at any time.  Which is not correct.

I was on twitter the other day and I saw an account impersonating the McDonald's corporation. I'm sure some companies legal counsel is going to send a letter to Twitter at some point. Letting Vijaya Gadde go was a mistake.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 15:27

steveschneider wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I was on twitter the other day and I saw an account impersonating the McDonald's corporation. I'm sure some companies legal counsel is going to send a letter to Twitter at some point. Letting Vijaya Gadde go was a mistake.

Not seeing one thing Musk has done with twitter, starting with the initial offer which hasn't been a mistake.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-11-14, 15:46

Musk has taken and is taking too many Federal dollars while many of his businesses operate under aegis of DOT and FTC to get too cheeky.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 15:51

Trapper Gus wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Not seeing one thing Musk has done with twitter, starting with the initial offer which hasn't been a mistake.

And the damage he's done to his own company Tesla. I intend to purchase an EV when my beloved Prius reaches the end of it's life and it won't be a Tesla.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-11-14, 16:08

It’s the new normal that when rich people make fools of themselves it must be a conspiracy from “elites” or some nonsense. He’s a fucking clown.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-11-17, 21:27

Down the drain it heads?

[tw]1593427480051822592?t=vcXkElLZI3WeUj4geVFZUw&s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-18, 09:30

“ Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. […] If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.
Gene Roddenberry

You contrast Gene Rodenberry’d vision of the Star Trek future vs where we are at 55 years later the tech future is rife with greed and stupidity and a bunch of toxic white libertarian billionaire morons. To put shit in perspective the Washington Commanders are estimated to be worth 5.6 billion dollars. Elon could have bought a division or two of nfl teams for the amount he paid for Twitter. He lit forty four billion dollars just to platform a bunch of Nazis and conspiracy theorist. What a fuckin clown.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-18, 10:16

I will post some twitter links with the full expectation that twitter will not last until December.

Here is a link about Musk lying about his education, also detailing that he is an "illegal" immigrant.

[tw]1593307541932474368[/tw]

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-18, 11:15; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-18, 10:22

Twitter may literally shut down as soon as Monday. That’s not hyperbole. Yesterday Musk, who already fired half the staff, gave an ultimatum to the other half telling them that they had until 5pm today to agree to his new, draconian terms of employment or they were out w/3 months severance. This evening multiple sources are reporting that hundreds of the ~3,700 remaining employees—and potentially up to ¾ of them—have told Musk to go to hell and are bailing.

[tw]1593399704636620800[/tw]
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 10:48

Guess we should have taxed that guy

Really though, I think it’s probably worth talking about how a guy can buy a service that millions of people use and where things like political or economic movements and unions can have the space to grow and Bud into something in the real world, then just crater it directly into the ground.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-18, 11:07

steveschneider wrote:“ Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. […] If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.
Gene Roddenberry

You contrast Gene Rodenberry’d vision of the Star Trek future vs where we are at 55 years later the tech future is rife with greed and stupidity and a bunch of toxic white libertarian billionaire morons. To put shit in perspective the Washington Commanders are estimated to be worth 5.6 billion dollars. Elon could have bought a division or two of nfl teams for the amount he paid for Twitter. He lit forty four billion dollars just to platform a bunch of Nazis and conspiracy theorist. What a fuckin clown.

The "Star Trek" Citizen of the Universe is a long way away from our abilities today.

We are all too willing to join up with like-minded people and exclude people who are different.

Part of what we lack is the willingness to avoid talking about issues which divide us that really do not matter much.

The old adage of "avoid religion & politics at the dinner table" still holds true for all of us.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-18, 11:11; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-18, 11:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Guess we should have taxed that guy

Really though, I think it’s probably worth talking about how a guy can buy a service that millions of people use and where things like political or economic movements and unions can have the space to grow and Bud into something in the real world, then just crater it directly into the ground.

If twitter was the primary communication tool for unionization, then I begin to see a motive for the billionaires to buy it and shut it down.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-18, 11:14; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 11:13

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Guess we should have taxed that guy

If twitter was the primary communication tool for unionization, then I begin to see a motive for the billionaires to buy is and shut it down.

It’s not, well maybe not? I mean I dunno I’m aware of Starbucks across the country trying to unionize entirely because of Twitter. Otherwise I would not know anything about the activities of 10 baristas in Albany.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2022-11-18, 12:42

Live view of twitter
Elon Musk and Twitter - Page 9 Fhyr-XDo-WIAIVPHU
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-18, 12:53

Trapper Gus wrote:

Really?

Twitter has record usage since the Musk acquisition.   Should eventually lead to increased ad revenue.   Musk plays the long game.

Last edited by RQA on 2022-11-18, 12:59; edited 1 time in total
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-18, 12:55

steveschneider wrote:One takeaway from the Q documentary on HBO is just how horrible actual free speech is.

That's what a fascist would say.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 13:10

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Really?

Twitter has record usage since the Musk acquisition.   Should eventually lead to increased ad revenue.   Musk plays the long game.

Banks in 1929 “man look at all this record usage our lobbies are getting”

It’s not going to shut down overnight, I’m not sure why people seem to think that’s how this is going to work. But with no engineers to maintain the platform, or not enough, bugs are going to increase, outages increase, usage drops, etc etc. it’ll slowly devolve into being unusable unless they hire the people required to maintain such a thing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-11-19, 21:12

Trump is back
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-19, 21:24

aualum06 wrote:Trump is back
A lot of that going around lately.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-19, 21:35

Isn’t capitalism great!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-11-20, 01:03

Whelp, Musk did it. He restored trumps Twitter account and proclaimed " the people have spoken" after a poll he posted came back 52% in favor. A poll easily influenced by bots and duplicate accounts.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/19/business/twitter-musk-trump-reinstate/index.html
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 05:32

RQA wrote:
steveschneider wrote:One takeaway from the Q documentary on HBO is just how horrible actual free speech is.

That's what a fascist would say.  

The dark web is a horrible place and you are free to go there if you want. I’ll pass.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-11-20, 07:53

sεяεηιτλ wrote:Whelp, Musk did it. He restored trumps Twitter account and proclaimed " the people have spoken" after a poll he posted came back 52% in favor. A poll easily influenced by bots and duplicate accounts.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/19/business/twitter-musk-trump-reinstate/index.html
If the news, corporate world left (let alone MSU's official social media) then Twitter would just become "truth social"....
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 08:00

Trapper Gus wrote:
steveschneider wrote:“ Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. […] If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.
Gene Roddenberry

The "Star Trek" Citizen of the Universe is a long way away from our abilities today.

We are all too willing to join up with like-minded people and exclude people who are different.

Part of what we lack is the willingness to avoid talking about issues which divide us that really do not matter much.

The old adage of "avoid religion & politics at the dinner table" still holds true for all of us.

True,

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/arrests-at-penn-station-thwart-developing-threat-to-nyc-jewish-community-nypd/3965066/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/11/20/colorado-springs-lgbtq-clubq-shooting/

Good thing we have Elon a tech billionaire libertarian to open up Twitter to hate mongering, platforming Nazis and to further distort reality by promoting conspiracies.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 08:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:Whelp, Musk did it. He restored trumps Twitter account and proclaimed " the people have spoken" after a poll he posted came back 52% in favor. A poll easily influenced by bots and duplicate accounts.

If the news, corporate world left (let alone MSU's official social media) then Twitter would just become "truth social"....

CBS News left the platform and others will follow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-20, 08:47

steveschneider wrote:

The dark web is a horrible place and you are free to go there if you want. I’ll pass.

I don't know anything about the dark web, but I do support free speech as does Elon Musk. Evidently contrary to most Swill posters.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-20, 08:59

steveschneider wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

True,

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/arrests-at-penn-station-thwart-developing-threat-to-nyc-jewish-community-nypd/3965066/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/11/20/colorado-springs-lgbtq-clubq-shooting/

Good thing we have Elon a tech billionaire libertarian to open up Twitter to hate mongering, platforming Nazis and to further distort reality by promoting conspiracies.

The "founders" didn't understand the "Pandora's Box" they were creating with the "Free Speach" amendment, but they soon found out. Thomas Jefferson was the first to attempt to limit people lying in the media, his attempt was ruled unconstitutional.

It is hard to see how allowing lies to be what voters make their choices on serves the intent of Free Speach, regardless of its being the literal interpretation.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 09:31

RQA wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I don't know anything about the dark web, but I do support free speech as does Elon Musk. Evidently contrary to most Swill posters.

If you saw speech you didn’t like you’d be the first to complain. Btw your hero and champion of free speech is cracking jokes about antisemitism growing On his platform.

https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1594206340909613057?s=21&t=zMyulZRVlk5v4bY14roKWg

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-20, 10:16

Musk wants free speech for himself, no one else.

Investigations of where the money came from to buy twitter suggests that the new owners are all about limited the speech of their political opponents.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 10:43

Trapper Gus wrote:Musk wants free speech for himself, no one else.

Investigations of where the money came from to buy twitter suggests that the new owners are all about limited the speech of their political opponents.

Silicon Valley ceos (Jobs, Gates, Musk etc) have been quite comfortable doing business with China for decades. The whole free speech thing is disingenuous. The real aim imo is unraveling western governments esp Europe where they are regulated. It’s about being unconstrained.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-20, 10:51

steveschneider wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Musk wants free speech for himself, no one else.

Silicon Valley ceos (Jobs, Gates, Musk etc) have been quite comfortable doing business with China for decades. The whole free speech thing is disingenuous. The real aim imo is unraveling western governments esp Europe where they are regulated. It’s about being unconstrained.

I would think it is more about shuting down communication for their opponents in the free world. China places huge restraints on social media.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-20, 11:00

Trapper Gus wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Silicon Valley ceos (Jobs, Gates, Musk etc) have been quite comfortable doing business with China for decades. The whole free speech thing is disingenuous. The real aim imo is unraveling western governments  esp Europe where they are regulated. It’s about being unconstrained.

I would think it is more about shuting down communication for their opponents in the free world.  China places huge restraints on social media.
Exactly my point. If they cared about free speech then why not fight for it in China? I also buy in destroying the town square holds value. And another aspect it’s a good tool for Trump I saw a thread that outlined how whenever Fox turned on trumphe wins over their audience via Twitter and then Fox pivots back to him. I’m just saying the Elon is a free speech warrior is complete BS. This is Thiel and Elon trying to get a political edge and take down regulation. Being unconstrained by governments regulators  is the goal. B
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-20, 11:22

steveschneider wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

CBS News left the platform and others will follow.

I think you might be right. Musk may have underestimated that impact.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next