Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caitlin Clark

+24
DWags
steveschneider
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Robert J Sakimano
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
Pervis Muldoon
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
gomersbro
Nordic
aualum06
MSU addict
InTenSity
Bert Savoy
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Jake from State Farm
28 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 Empty Re: Caitlin Clark

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:36 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't know how it works, but she has to be on the Olympic team this summer, right?

Apparently not a given, and schedule not in her favor. Gonna be some backlash if she's not on the team.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:46 am

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't know how it works, but she has to be on the Olympic team this summer, right?

Apparently not a given, and schedule not in her favor.  Gonna be some backlash if she's not on the team.  
can't imagine how they could keep her off (unless she just needs a break and it's her decision.. which is 100% understandable).

even if she's not one of the best 15 or so players in the country....scratch ... or one of the top 2-3 point guards/shooting guards in the country..  scratch  ... seems like it would be a great storyline, narrative, and PR, etc., for USA Women's Basketball.

I suspect if she was on the roster, it might be met with resistance because.. it's what America has become..  [waves arms in direction of 'everywhere']....

gotta tell ya, no idea how the rest of the season is gonna play out (they might not even be a FF team), but I believe if I was her, I'd disappear for a month or two when the season ends, regardless of her decision for next year. This entire winter leading into March, early-April has been/will be exhausting for her.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:03 am

I could see WNBA jealousy coming into play. She has more draw then their entire league.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:14 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I could see WNBA jealousy coming into play. She has more draw then their entire league.

I don’t watch WNBA or have any idea how to compare her to pros. But, I could see there being 5-6 players better than her at the guard spot. Straight shooting? She has to be one of the best. I could be wrong.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:20 am

NigelUno wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:I could see WNBA jealousy coming into play. She has more draw then their entire league.

I don’t watch WNBA or have any idea how to compare her to pros. But, I could see there being 5-6 players better than her at the guard spot. Straight shooting? She has to be one of the best. I could be wrong.

Agree. And guess what? I’ve also never watched the WNBA. But guess what I will do once he is drafted? And I’m just average American old guy, curious about how she’ll do. If the suits at network aren’t considering that and guys like me, they’re foolish. They should be having meetings about this right now. How do we keep the interest of old guy in America because for the first time ever we will have old guys eyes on our product

Should be meetings on this every day
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:27 am

she could be the Christian Laettener of the 1992 Dream Team.. carrying bags, etc. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:29 am

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Agree. And guess what? I’ve also never watched the WNBA. But guess what I will do once he is drafted? And I’m just average American old guy, curious about how she’ll do. If the suits at network aren’t considering that and guys like me, they’re foolish. They should be having meetings about this right now. How do we keep the interest of old guy in America because for the first time ever we will have old guys eyes on our product

Should be meetings on this every day
if she left for the WNBA, I could see me keeping an eye on the scroll at the bottom of ESPN for her first season, just to see how she's doing etc.

Can't imagine me tuning into a game in the way I would tune into an Iowa women's game now. I dunno, just not the same vibe.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:10 am

Don’t think Clark to the WNBA is a fait accompli.

Current estimates are Clark’s 23-24 NIL agreements with HyVee, Gatorade, H&R Block, Bose, Buick, Topps, State Farm, Shoot-A-Way (ball feeder machine) most recently Nike are at least $818K.

The WNBA max rookie for ‘24 is $76,563, $78K in ‘25, $85,800 for ‘26 and year 4 option of $95,682.

Those corporations are buying exposure the same way HyVee did when Clark was a freshman and relatively unknown outside of Iowa and basketball circles.  

In terms of exposure, Clark going to the WNBA for the ‘24 season is trading a 5 month Iowa season that will get national coverage with BTN and its partners (CBS/Peacock) and ESPN for tournaments compared to WNBA 36 game schedule and tournament that gets fewer viewers than Iowa’s games this season.

If I’m advising Clark, it would to stay at Iowa and get another year of NIL money.  She’s already got a good list of sponsors and suspect there would be others in line  to join for the 24-25 season.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:20 am

NigelUno wrote:

I don't watch it either but have to believe she will be a star there. 35ft jumpers are unguardable at any level. And some of the great passes she throws at this level are fumbled by her college teammates. She's not just a shooter.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Unless Clark is certain she can double her current NIL money by signing with a WNBA team and that $72K rookie pay scale she should stay at Iowa.

She'll get better speed/strength/nutrition coaching / training in Iowa City.

Anyone who thinks leaving Iowa for the Indianapolis Fever (they have the #1 draft choice) is a step up can probably be convinced Jordan Poole got the clean end of the stick when he got traded from Golden State to the Washington Wizards.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:00 pm

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I don't watch it either but have to believe she will be a star there. 35ft jumpers are unguardable at any level. And some of the great passes she throws at this level are fumbled by her college teammates. She's not just a shooter.

I think it would be idiotic not to have her on the team. If the WNBA wants to promote/market their game, they better do everything in their power to get her on the team. No idea how much of a role they play in that (if any), or who the coach is.

12 women on the team. Is she immediately one of the best 5-6 guards in the league and deserving of a spot? Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 2599972566

I could see her inclusion rubbing some people the wrong way.

If I was running USA Basketball, I'd put her on the team today and start selling jerseys.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Don’t think Clark to the WNBA is a fait accompli.

Current estimates are Clark’s 23-24 NIL agreements with HyVee, Gatorade, H&R Block, Bose, Buick, Topps, State Farm, Shoot-A-Way (ball feeder machine) most recently Nike are at least $818K.

The WNBA max rookie for ‘24 is $76,563, $78K in ‘25, $85,800 for ‘26 and year 4 option of $95,682.

Those corporations are buying exposure the same way HyVee did when Clark was a freshman and relatively unknown outside of Iowa and basketball circles.  

In terms of exposure, Clark going to the WNBA for the ‘24 season is trading a 5 month Iowa season that will get national coverage with BTN and its partners (CBS/Peacock) and ESPN for tournaments compared to WNBA 36 game schedule and tournament that gets fewer viewers than Iowa’s games this season.

If I’m advising Clark, it would to stay at Iowa and get another year of NIL money.  She’s already got a good list of sponsors and suspect there would be others in line  to join for the 24-25 season.

She can do commercials for all of those companies if she turns pro.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm

NigelUno wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Don’t think Clark to the WNBA is a fait accompli.

Max salary in the WNBA this is is $235K. According to On3, Caitlin Clark's NIL deals are worth approximately $739,000.

No way of knowing what is true and what isn't. But on the surface it looks like a $500K difference. I know that's probably not accurate. I'm sure she will have reasonable agents who will maximize her earnings.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:36 pm

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Max salary in the WNBA this is is $235K. According to On3, Caitlin Clark's NIL deals are worth approximately $739,000.

No way of knowing what is true and what isn't. But on the surface it looks like a $500K difference. I know that's probably not accurate. I'm sure she will have reasonable agents who will maximize her earnings.

I've seen stories where she'll make more with Nike once she turns pro. She might lose some Iowa (market) NIL deals, but seems like she'd more than make up for it with local Indy businesses (Fever have #1 draft pick).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:48 pm

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

I've seen stories where she'll make more with Nike once she turns pro. She might lose some Iowa (market) NIL deals, but seems like she'd more than make up for it with local Indy businesses (Fever have #1 draft pick).

I hope she understands that there are about 5 million girls in grade school, middle school, and high school that would kill to wear the shoes she's wearing. I'm thinking that contract with NIKE will be in the 8 figures. It better be.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:14 pm

Is the WNBA going to change its rules for Clark and give her the same max salary they give their established players?

If Clark is sick of school and her NIL sponsors (like Nike) advise her they will increase her NIL contracts I don't blame her but at this time I see the WNBA as a step down from a marketing standpoint.

The league needs her. Clark doesn't necessarily need the WNBA to maintain or increase her Q score that determines the amount of her endorsement deals.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:29 am

Jay Williams on College GameDay just said Clark is not great. Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 502811600

He is going to get roasted.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:37 am

NigelUno wrote:Jay Williams on College GameDay just said Clark is not great. Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 502811600

He is going to get roasted.

She's better than he ever was
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:05 am

Mr Motorcycle Jay Williams who ended his NBA career after 2 seasons on a Yamaha street bike?

He’s ESPN’s basketball Desmond Howard.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:02 pm

The Caitlin Clarkeyes are tipping off vs #14 Indiana on Peacock at 8:00 est.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:17 pm

shutting Clark down pretty well so far, and she seems a little frustrated.

17,000+ in attendance.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:52 pm

Iowa down 11 at the half.

Clark has 20, but it feels like a quiet 20 (if that's a thing).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:58 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

17,000+ in attendance.

Any rappers sitting behind the bench?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:25 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

17,000+ in attendance.

Any rappers sitting behind the bench?
Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 502811600

Not that I can tell.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:42 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:shutting Clark down pretty well so far, and she seems a little frustrated.

17,000+ in attendance.

Playing for the first time since she broke the NCAA women’s career scoring record, Clark finished with 24 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds but struggled from the field. She was 8 of 26 overall and 3 of 16 on 3-pointers while scoring just four points in the second half.

one rebound away from a triple double and the headline is how you 'struggled' - which, by her usual scoring standards, she did.

I think it's this reason why Iowa might not get out of, say, the Sweet Sixteen. While Clark is clearly the best player the women's game has seen in some time, without her operating on all cylinders, I feel like the Iowa women are slightly better than average.

Coaches around the country are watching film from last night to see how Indiana held her in check. As I mentioned, it wasn't just a cold night for her. She seemed legit frustrated at times, missed some free throws, some uncharacteristic turnovers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:48 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:shutting Clark down pretty well so far, and she seems a little frustrated.

17,000+ in attendance.

Playing for the first time since she broke the NCAA women’s career scoring record, Clark finished with 24 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds but struggled from the field. She was 8 of 26 overall and 3 of 16 on 3-pointers while scoring just four points in the second half.

one rebound away from a triple double and the headline is how you 'struggled' - which, by her usual scoring standards, she did.

I think it's this reason why Iowa might not get out of, say, the Sweet Sixteen. While Clark is clearly the best player the women's game has seen in some time, without her operating on all cylinders, I feel like the Iowa women are slightly better than average.

Coaches around the country are watching film from last night to see how Indiana held her in check. As I mentioned, it wasn't just a cold night for her. She seemed legit frustrated at times, missed some free throws, some uncharacteristic turnovers.

Didn't watch, but maybe IU came up with the Clark rules. Read that they faceguarded her, and did some box and one defense. Big game for IU. They want to get a 4 seed, and host first round games in the tournament.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:55 am

We  forget that those girls are on scholarship too.  MSU had them on the mat too.  There are some great athletes on many teams.  When they play Iowa , the Hawkeyes are getting their best shot.  

Most teams, whether we like it or not, play in front of a half empty stadium.   When they play Iowa., the stadium is packed and Electric.  It has to get your adrenaline flowing.  I think it might prepare Iowa better than most teams for the tournament.  

Anyway, I’m happy that the women’s game is getting so many more, eyeballs.  Unfortunately, we’re going to need another Caitlyn  Clark or two.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:50 am

Bracketology moved IU to a 4 seed (host site), and dropped Iowa to a 2.

(We remain at 7.)
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:56 am

Will Caitlin Clark mania carry forward to the WNBA or will it end when she graduates?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:49 pm

steveschneider wrote:Will Caitlin Clark mania carry forward to the WNBA or will it end when she graduates?

Only if she "marries" MC Glock (or Shia the Buffalo)...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:55 pm

steveschneider wrote:Will Caitlin Clark mania carry forward to the WNBA or will it end when she graduates?

WNBA Draft is mid-April. Season starts a month later. I would guess a huge marketing push would create some buzz.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:57 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Let’s just hope she doesn’t have to play in Russia or some other foreign hostile power.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:00 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Caitlin Clark  - Page 11 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:16 am

She’s about to break Pistol Pete’s scoring record. I thought only a man could break that but I guess I was wrong.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:19 am

Juju Watkins (USC FR) might break all the records, and is coming to the Big Ten next year.

She dropped 42 on a good Colorado team last night. Broke Cheryl Miller's record for 30 point games in a season.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:55 am

NigelUno wrote:Juju Watkins (USC FR) might break all the records, and is coming to the Big Ten next year.

She dropped 42 on a good Colorado team last night. Broke Cheryl Miller's record for 30 point games in a season.

The future is bright for women’s college hoops. I hope it carries over to the wnba. It would be fun to see the next level generate more excitement.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:01 pm

Tipping off right now on FS1.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:34 pm

Not a big day scoring for Clark so far, but is distributing the ball well. Playing better as a team today.

Iowa has 40 pts and Caitlin has only 9.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:00 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Not a big day scoring for Clark so far, but is distributing the ball well. Playing better as a team today.

Iowa has 40 pts and Caitlin has only 9.

If Iowa is going to make a run in the tournament, they need more people to be able to step up besides her.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:33 am

Caitlin Clark is tougher than Filipowski.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next