Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose

+33
Bill Cain
tanfan!
Blanch32
tTito
Wally Fairway
StylesGShmooth
Nordic
SpartanMikey
Chitown_Badger
Cosmo_Kramer
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
Larry Kazamias
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Cym Jim
beal99
SpartanInNH
Code_Warrior
Brock Middlebrook
Gomer
By-Tor
SawGreen
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
CheesySpartan
NigelUno
pulling69
P Rob
Turtleneck
Rodeo Burger
37 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose - Page 2 Empty Re: Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-11, 10:39

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
At one point I did a Grand Blanc to Detroitish commute. I-75, bumper to bumper got into the 90s.Then everyone slams on their brakes and angles toward the median to avoid certain firey death.... only to crawl for 2 miles (and 30 minutes) because a cop pulled someone over or a hot chick got a flat tire... or there was an actual flaming wreck of death. Then back to 90.

Rubbin', son is racing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose - Page 2 Empty Re: Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-08-11, 10:42

So racing got trashier, huh?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer 2014-08-11, 11:05

Darwin Award for the kid. Hey, let's run on a race track and yell at people who are exceeding speeds of over 60 MPH! Dumb.
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-11, 14:07

I think stewart was intentionally trying to scare the kid or get real close on purpose. You can hear his engine and see him accelerate right before hitting him (and you can see the back of his car slide out). I have a hard time believing that one of the greatest drivers in the world was unaware it was a yellow flag situation (and should have therefore slowed down like everyone else) and that he was unable to avoid the kid.

Drivers charging onto the track to act like badasses is ridiculous and dangerous, but that doesn't make it ok for other drivers to hit them and kill them.

I doubt he'll get charged, but I would not be surprised if a civil suit wasn't already underway.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-11, 14:23

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Drivers charging onto the track to act like badasses is ridiculous and dangerous, but that doesn't make it ok for other drivers to hit them and kill them.

I'm going to hell cause I laughed at this.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-08-11, 14:30

DWags wrote:

I'm going to hell cause I laughed at this.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be stressed to race car drivers.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-08-11, 14:38

Chitown_Badger wrote:I think stewart was intentionally trying to scare the kid or get real close on purpose. You can hear his engine and see him accelerate right before hitting him (and you can see the back of his car slide out). I have a hard time believing that one of the greatest drivers in the world was unaware it was a yellow flag situation (and should have therefore slowed down like everyone else) and that he was unable to avoid the kid.

I doubt he'll get charged, but I would not be surprised if a civil suit wasn't already underway.

The back right of his car didnt slide out until after he made contact with the kid. Watch it closely.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-11, 14:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

This is the sort of thing that needs to be stressed to race car drivers.
Tony Stewart has actually done this before. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-08-11, 14:58

SpartanMikey wrote:
Tony Stewart has actually done this before. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

Hit dudes? Is this known by racers? Cause if it is, it makes what this dumb kid did doubly stupid.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-11, 14:59

By-Tor wrote:

The back right of his car didnt slide out until after he made contact with the kid.    Watch it closely.    

A body wrapped around your tire will do that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-08-11, 15:20

LooseGoose wrote:

Yes it will. But there is a lot of talk that the reason Stewart fishtailed was because he floored it when he saw Ward and his theatrics.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-08-11, 15:31

SpartanMikey wrote:

please elaborate...
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-11, 15:39

Chitown_Badger wrote:I think stewart was intentionally trying to scare the kid or get real close on purpose. You can hear his engine and see him accelerate right before hitting him (and you can see the back of his car slide out). I have a hard time believing that one of the greatest drivers in the world was unaware it was a yellow flag situation (and should have therefore slowed down like everyone else) and that he was unable to avoid the kid.

Stewart knew they were under yellow and he was going the same speed as everyone else, so I don't know where you are going with that.

Regarding the engine rev, there is actually plausible explanation. Those cars don't turn for shit unless they they are under power. Like a boat, if you need to make a quick evasive move, you have to hit the gas to get it to turn.

No one knows but Tony if that was the case or if he was trying to scare the kid. I'm going with the former. He almost got hit by the car 3 in front of Tony because he was in a higher line. He almost got hit by the car in front of Tony. You can see his car wiggle, so it looks like he didn't see him to the last minute either.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-11, 17:32

CheesySpartan wrote:

please elaborate...
He walked right into the middle of the track to throw his helmet at another driver's car a couple years back.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-08-11, 17:35

SpartanMikey wrote:
He walked right into the middle of the track to throw his helmet at another driver's car a couple years back.

This? Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose - Page 2 502811600

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-11, 17:39

That appears to be it...
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-11, 17:43

Or this one in 1999. Go to 1:04

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-11, 17:48

NigelUno wrote:Or this one in 1999.  Go to 1:04

Except the kid is an idiot and Tony is not, apparently.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-11, 17:54

SpartanMikey wrote:

Tony is an idiot for getting out of his car too, what is your point?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-11, 17:54

SpartanMikey wrote:

Tony is a little childish. About the worst thing that could have happened to him is getting his toes run over.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-11, 18:07

Nordic wrote:

Stewart knew they were under yellow and he was going the same speed as everyone else, so I don't know where you are going with that.

Regarding the engine rev, there is actually plausible explanation. Those cars don't turn for shit unless they they are under power. Like a boat, if you need to make a quick evasive move, you have to hit the gas to get it to turn.

No one knows but Tony if that was the case or if he was trying to scare the kid. I'm going with the former. He almost got hit by the car 3 in front of Tony because he was in a higher line. He almost got hit by the car in front of Tony. You can see his car wiggle, so it looks like he didn't see him to the last minute either.

The guy in front of stewart was far enough ahead of him that you can't convince me Stewart couldn't have avoided him. That other car also had no issues driving around him and didn't need to gas it for any reason.

I still believe stewart was going to send a message to the kid and he fucked up and killed him. Or you can suggest that those other drivers are somehow better than Stewart, which I'm not believing either.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-11, 18:08

NigelUno wrote:

Tony is a little childish.  About the worst thing that could have happened to him is getting his toes run over.  

The only other people who are bigger pussies when it comes to making a scene like a tough guy and fake fighting are baseball players.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-11, 18:23

Chitown_Badger wrote:

The guy in front of stewart was far enough ahead of him that you can't convince me Stewart couldn't have avoided him. That other car also had no issues driving around him and didn't need to gas it for any reason.

I still believe stewart was going to send a message to the kid and he fucked up and killed him. Or you can suggest that those other drivers are somehow better than Stewart, which I'm not believing either.

He wasn't as close to the other cars. He was higher up the track.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-08-11, 18:24

Only Tony knows IMO.  Nobody here can know what he was looking at.  The kid kept moving down the track, and to me had to step out of the way of the 45 car (which on a curve could have easily obstructed his view).  And, I agree, I didn't see movement in Tony's car until after contact was made.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-11, 18:33

Nordic wrote:

Tony is an idiot for getting out of his car too, what is your point?
That nobody pointed it out until I did.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-08-11, 18:37

LooseGoose wrote:

Nascar driver Tony Stewart reportedly ran over another driver on purpose - Page 2 Wonder%20woman
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-11, 19:40

Chitown_Badger wrote:

The car in front of Tony is a on a slightly lower line which is why he missed him/didn't need to punch the gas to steer the car as drastically. But he did turn the wheel at the last minute as well as it looks like his car wobbles, which tells me he didn't see him and wasn't expecting him to be there either. There is basically 1 second between him and Tony. Not a lot of time miss someone standing in front of your car. When I watch the video, to me it looks like he hits with the front tire first, not the back.

And before you go with Tony was too high, see the car 3 in front of Tony. He is much higher. Now did Tony stay in that line or move? Impossible to tell from that video. That's the problem. The camera guy follows the blue car so you only get a split second of Tony before the collision.

The last second acceleration is not damning evidence. You can make an arguement for it either way.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-11, 19:42

SpartanMikey wrote:
That nobody pointed it out until I did.

Cool, gold star for you.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2014-08-11, 20:01

It seems pretty obvious that he was trying to buzz the kid and teach him a lesson and fucked up and clipped him. To say he can't turn without gassing it is ridiculous, they're cruising under caution, handling isn't really an issue at that speed.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-12, 00:03

Nordic wrote:

Cool, gold star for you.
That's what she said.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey 2014-08-12, 00:06

Nordic wrote:

Cool, gold star for you.
He's done the same thing himself multiple times, you mean to tell me he didn't see the guy?
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-08-12, 01:47

SpartanMikey wrote:
He's done the same thing himself multiple times, you mean to tell me he didn't see the guy?
I saw the vid posted above of Stewart chucking his helmet and the two situations couldn't be more different.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2014-08-12, 06:09

By-Tor wrote:
I saw the vid posted above of Stewart chucking his helmet and the two situations couldn't be more different.

...and the other video right below it?
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-12, 07:20

StylesGShmooth wrote:

...and the other video right below it?

I don't think Tony put himself in danger (other than maybe his toes getting run over).

There's a big difference between racing in the day (or at night on a well-lit NASCAR track) as opposed to a poorly lit dirt track.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-12, 10:28

By-Tor wrote:
You are right, because Tony Stewart throwing his helmet knows that there is nobody as stupid as Tony Stewart who is going to try to send a message to him to get off the track.

I seriously think that Tony Stewart may have thought he was going to kick up some dirt at the kid; there is no way he meant to hit him - but either the kid was closer than Tony thought or the back end broke loose earlier than he thought. Tony is pretty much a red ass, and he wasn't going to let some punk ass kid get of his car and go all red ass on him.
My contention will never be able to be proven.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-12, 10:30

NigelUno wrote:

I don't think Tony put himself in danger (other than maybe his toes getting run over).  

There's a big difference between racing in the day (or at night on a well-lit NASCAR track) as opposed to a poorly lit dirt track.  

Tell us more, Russ Wheeler.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-12, 10:34

I'm certainly not a NASCAR driver.. but I would think that when you exit your car and start walking across the racetrack that there is an implied assumption of the risk involved..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-12, 10:35

Wally Fairway wrote:
You are right, because Tony Stewart throwing his helmet knows that there is nobody as stupid as Tony Stewart who is going to try to send a message to him to get off the track.

I seriously think that Tony Stewart may have thought he was going to kick up some dirt at the kid; there is no way he meant to hit him - but either the kid was closer than Tony thought or the back end broke loose earlier than he thought. Tony is pretty much a red ass, and he wasn't going to let some punk ass kid get of his car and go all red ass on him.
My contention will never be able to be proven.

Spot on in my opinion. First part was pretty funny, but so true. Second part makes total sense, and the acceleration, back end sliding out, no need for him to be that close but still being there all support it.

That being said, if the case could be made that that is in fact what happened, what kind of charge would that be?

Last edited by Chitown_Badger on 2014-08-12, 11:08; edited 1 time in total
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-08-12, 10:44

I witnessed a fatal car crash several years ago. A car stalled in the center lane of a 55 mph three lane road. A car came up behind it and swerved into the left lane to avoid. The car behind the car that swerved had no chance to brake or avoid the stalled car and hit it hard, killing the driver of the stalled car.

I wonder if Stewart's view was blocked by the car in front of him, and that car swerved to avoid Ward, leaving Stewart with no time to avoid striking him? One possibility, I suppose.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-12, 10:47

tTito wrote:I witnessed a fatal car crash several years ago. A car stalled in the center lane of a 55 mph three lane road. A car came up behind it and swerved into the left lane to avoid. The car behind the car that swerved had no chance to brake or avoid the stalled car and hit it hard, killing the driver of the stalled car.

I wonder if Stewart's view was blocked by the car in front of him, and that car swerved to avoid Ward, leaving Stewart with no time to avoid striking him? One possibility, I suppose.
it's hard to say and I don't think there is any way anyone will ever know.. all of the speculation and conjecture is of interest to some people, naturally - but given the dark conditions of the track, visibility issues, the fact that the dude that got killed was wearing all black, Stewart coming into or going out of a curve, etc.. so many factors that nobody will ever truly know..

that said, I'm pretty sure a civil suit is likely.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next