Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 portal mega thread

+22
CaptainSlow33
steveschneider
Tyler Durden
kingstonlake
Zurn
Wally Fairway
gomersbro
DWags
Rick Saunders
Heat Miser
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
Nordic
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
26 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

2023 portal mega thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 2023 portal mega thread

Post by DWags 2023-11-30, 13:00

NigelUno wrote:I think we need a QB.  

This is the year, where I would ask why would we need an experienced quarterback? Especially one that’s going to be leaving right away. the dumbass staff from last year were in their fourth year and you would think they would want one to try to win some ball games. When you are in a rebuild having an experience quarterback always helps, but is that what you really want?

I hope everybody’s patient with this guy. He sounds like he wants to build a winner. He sounds like he’s willing to do it the right way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-30, 13:18

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:I think we need a QB.  

This is the year, where I would ask why would we need an experienced quarterback? Especially one that’s going to be leaving right away. the dumbass staff from last year were in their fourth year and you would think they would want one to try to win some ball games. When you are in a rebuild having an experience quarterback always helps, but is that what you really want?

I hope everybody’s patient with this guy. He sounds like he wants to build a winner. He sounds like he’s willing to do it the right way.

Coach gets a year added to his contract (at close to $8 million) if he wins 7 games.

Just Win (Now) Baby!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-30, 13:34

I'm not sure there has ever been a coach who didn't care about winning games.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2023-11-30, 14:30

Trapper Gus wrote:I'm not sure there has ever been a coach who didn't care about winning games.

By the end I would say it was questionable with Tugger.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-30, 15:32

Dante Moore in da portal.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-11-30, 17:20

Read a short article. The Nebraska coach, Rhule, said a qb costs 1-1.5 million in the portal for a good one...
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-30, 17:25

InTenSity wrote:Read a short article. The Nebraska coach, Rhule, said a qb costs 1-1.5 million in the portal for a good one...

That's a steal.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-11-30, 17:54

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Read a short article. The Nebraska coach, Rhule, said a qb costs 1-1.5 million in the portal for a good one...

That's a steal.
Really? I'm out of it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-30, 18:06

Saw that. I don’t doubt there a few that will get that. But Rhule is also ‘selling’ a bit too.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-30, 18:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:DJ Ukulele is entering the portal.

I just strolled over to tRCMB. We are gonna need to by stock in therapy dogs because that place is going to burn down when DJU doesn’t come to MSU.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and CaptainSlow33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-30, 19:34

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:DJ Ukulele is entering the portal.

I just strolled over to tRCMB. We are gonna need to by stock in therapy dogs because that place is going to burn down when DJU doesn’t come to MSU.
2023 portal mega thread - Page 3 502811600

I'm ready to just sit back and watch it all develop with a high degree of ambivalent intrigue.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-11-30, 20:05

Can’t follow the portal players without a spread sheet

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/TransferPortalPositionRanking/

Psst
Think Coach Smith will find a QB
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-30, 21:13

GRR Spartan wrote:Can’t follow the portal players without a spread sheet

Psst

Next week we will see even more. Last year 98 QBs entered the portal. I bet it will be double that this year.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-11-30, 22:22

OK, so even if we get 1qb, don't we need a couple more? Or just hoping for no injuries?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-11-30, 22:48

InTenSity wrote:OK, so even if we get 1qb, don't we need a couple more? Or just hoping for no injuries?

There will be recruiting and signing dates are 12/20 thru 12-22 2023 then 02/07 thru 04/01/2024.  

JUCO signing is 12/20/23 thru 01/15/2024

Coach Smith was a walk-on at Oregon State, began starting half way thru his freshman redshirt season and started the next 3.5 years.

There are HS senior  QB's with MAC offers who could switch to a Big Ten offer from MSU.  Way back there was this QB from Holland Christian who did that.  Worked out pretty well for both parties.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-01, 06:42

InTenSity wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That's a steal.
Really? I'm out of it.

I meant in the big picture...if you could get a good QB for a $1 million...it would pay dividends worth more than that.

I'm a little skeptical of some of the numbers that get thrown around.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-01, 08:23

it would be interesting if there was a metric to determine how satisfied players who enter the transfer portal are/were with their decision.

if they just want to play, I get it - I think of maybe Rocky Lombardi. But I suspect that not every player who enters the portal ends up being K9, Bo Nix, the dude from Wake Forest who ended up at Notre Dame (can't think of his name), as their career trajectory takes off exponentially and undoubtedly impacts their draft status (in a positive fashion).

of course, I have no idea what Noah Kim, Leavitt and Houser are thinking their value is but I suspect at least one or two of them are skewed a bit from the reality of the situation. And I also bet they're not alone in this category.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-01, 08:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it would be interesting if there was a metric to determine how satisfied players who enter the transfer portal are/were with their decision.

if they just want to play, I get it - I think of maybe Rocky Lombardi. But I suspect that not every player who enters the portal ends up being K9, Bo Nix, the dude from Wake Forest who ended up at Notre Dame (can't think of his name), as their career trajectory takes off exponentially and undoubtedly impacts their draft status (in a positive fashion).

of course, I have no idea what Noah Kim, Leavitt and Houser are thinking their value is but I suspect at least one or two of them are skewed a bit from the reality of the situation. And I also bet they're not alone in this category.

Kim is a grad transfer, probably makes sense.

Leavitt is for personal reasons, regardless of if you agree that is understandable.

Houser is more head scratching, lack of an offensive line, perhaps?

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-12-01, 08:38

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Really? I'm out of it.

I meant in the big picture...if you could get a good QB for a $1 million...it would pay dividends worth more than that.

What are the players getting paid? I guess I don't get the value of maybe getting 1 year out of someone. I would think something around $250k. Do they even have to school while they are there? I'm not solving any of these issues and this board probably doesn't have much sway with the NCAA in enacting regulations.
Going back to the paying dividends, I see that the school would benefit, but how do the donor's keep up? What do they get out of it? I mean theoratically, they should be promoting something, but my understanding is that schools like TAMU are just basically playing the players. Does Nike sponsor all the players at Oregon?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-01, 08:45

InTenSity wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

What are the players getting paid? I guess I don't get the value of maybe getting 1 year out of someone. I would think something around $250k. Do they even have to school while they are there? I'm not solving any of these issues and this board probably doesn't have much sway with the NCAA in enacting regulations.
Going back to the paying dividends, I see that the school would benefit, but how do the donor's keep up? What do they get out of it? I mean theoratically, they should be promoting something, but my understanding is that schools like TAMU are just basically playing the players. Does Nike sponsor all the players at Oregon?

Getting the final pieces, like a KWIII, to take a team to a higher level makes sense.

The donor's get ego pride & maybe some local ads on the TeeVee.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2023-12-01, 08:54

GRR Spartan wrote:Can’t follow the portal players without a spread sheet

Psst
I will be ok with this if he can pull DJ Uiagalelei or Arch Manning
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-01, 09:02

InTenSity wrote:

Don't know the answers to most of these (good) questions, but there was a recent OSU QB who bragged about the fact that he never stepped on campus except for football, and this was pre-COVID/Zoom.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-01, 09:04

Zurn wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Don't know the answers to most of these (good) questions, but there was a recent OSU QB who bragged about the fact that he never stepped on campus except for football, and this was pre-COVID/Zoom.

He transfers to some school in Texas, right? He was also like the top QB in his high school class, so sort of an outlier.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-01, 09:05

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:it would be interesting if there was a metric to determine how satisfied players who enter the transfer portal are/were with their decision.

Leavitt is for personal reasons, regardless of if you agree that is understandable.

I've read/heard some folks that say it's possible for one of them (if any, it would be Houser) to sort of test the waters, maybe have conversations with Coach Smith, etc - and decide to come back.

If that were to happen, I'd want him fully committed to MSU and that might be a hard sell to teammates after entering the portal.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-01, 09:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I've read/heard some folks that say it's possible for one of them (if any, it would be Houser) to sort of test the waters, maybe have conversations with Coach Smith, etc - and decide to come back.

If that were to happen, I'd want him fully committed to MSU and that might be a hard sell to teammates after entering the portal.

There was a player during the year who did that. CHB had the team vote on accepting him back.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-01, 09:09

Testing the portal waters and then returning is not all that uncommon. Our own Simeon Barrow did that and during the season!
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-12-04, 08:39

Happy portal day! The portal is officially open.

Ohio State QB Kyle McCord and Minny QB Athan “The Greek” Kaliakmanis Rifle have officially entered. Along with all our QBs.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-04, 08:42

Hope the nil has been squared away. Get the billionaires onboard with the rebuild.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-04, 08:44

Nordic wrote:Happy portal day! The portal is officially open.

Ohio State QB Kyle McCord and Minny QB Athan “The Greek” Kaliakmanis Rifle have officially entered. Along with all our QBs.

Andrew Schorfhaar, too? Andrew Schorfhaar will lead MSU to glory (if he is not in the portal).
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-04, 09:13

SIAP MSU DL Derrick Harmon to da portal.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-04, 09:18

Oklahoma QB Dillon Gabriel in the port hole.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-12-04, 09:47

kingstonlake wrote:Oklahoma QB Dillon Gabriel in the port hole.

Heard the rumors last week. He’s already at Oklahoma. Obv a good fit. Where the fuck is he gonna go? NIL grab obv, but Ok has boosters.

NIL is gonna be a boon for guys like Ward, DJU, Gabriel, Howard, etc. Limited NFL potential. Extend college ball as long as possible.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-12-04, 10:13

This morning it was announced Ohio State starting QB Kyle McCord is going The Portal route.  Started all 12 games this season.

He was a 5* Class of ‘21 recruit who was #2 on the depth chart QB for 2 years behind CJ Stroud. Has 1 year of eligibility left.

Probably getting a nudge from Brian Day, then new NIL deal and chance to start.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2023-12-04, 10:45; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-04, 10:35

Nordic wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Oklahoma QB Dillon Gabriel in the port hole.

Heard the rumors last week. He’s already at Oklahoma. Obv a good fit. Where the fuck is he gonna go? NIL grab obv, but Ok has boosters.

NIL is gonna be a boon for guys like Ward, DJU, Gabriel, Howard, etc. Limited NFL potential. Extend college ball as long as possible.

OSU? Who knows. What I do know is that these high profile quarterbacks have already been contacted by schools they’re interested before today. They aren’t doing this blindly. They are using the portal for a better fit or a better NIL.

Thorne and Coleman had already spoken to FSU and Auburn before declaring. I guarantee it.

It’s the Wild West. Had the NCAA just allowed payments to players and health care, it wouldn’t be as crazy. There is no stopping this snowball from going down hill. I guess if you don’t let it frustrate you it’s pretty entertaining
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-04, 10:42

Oregon State QB Aidan Chiles plans to enter NCAA Transfer Portal
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-04, 11:06

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

OSU? Who knows. What I do know is that these high profile quarterbacks have already been contacted by schools they’re interested before today. They aren’t doing this blindly. They are using the portal for a better fit or a better NIL.

Thorne and Coleman had already spoken to FSU and Auburn before declaring. I guarantee it.

It’s the Wild West. Had the NCAA just allowed payments to players and health care, it wouldn’t be as crazy. There is no stopping this snowball from going downhill. I guess if you don’t let it frustrate you it’s pretty entertaining

With the huge amounts of money sloshing around for college sports I'm all in on this craziness so some of the players can pick up bundles of cash. It also uncovers the under the table stuff that went on in football & basketball, so we all can see who has the best team with the highest payroll.

I also like the athletes who are go getters taking advantage of this like that gymnast from LSU.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-04, 11:09

NigelUno wrote:Oregon State QB Aidan Chiles plans to enter NCAA Transfer Portal
we're gonna win so much.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2023-12-04, 11:28

It is kind of like the NBA hot-stove season or the MLB winter meetings (which coincidentally are this week and seem to be taking a back seat) on steroids. But unlike the NBA or MLB, I have a bad feeling that most of these NIL deals won't be fully guaranteed multi-year deals. For that reason, go get as much money up front as you can boys.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-12-04, 11:34

Losing a guy with 45 tackles for loss will be a big hit…..

2023 portal mega thread - Page 3 Img_1412
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-12-04, 11:42

I think that we should let aden know that if he comes here whenever we’re on offense the whole student section will sing 🎵 baby back baby back baby back baby back chillleeesss baby back ribs Chiles baby back ribs barbecue sauce 🎵 I bet he would think that would be so cool because ya know his name and the restaurant and stuff
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next