Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.

+10
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
TravelinMan
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
Trapper Gus
DWags
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   Empty Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.

Post by DWags 2024-04-26, 07:03

I think we’re at the point where we should separate them from the Israel Gaza thread, the atrocities that are happening there should imo have their own thread.

I also think they’re more important than being put in the political hodgepodge or the police thread.

We have senators who disagree with each other within their own party as to how to handle it.

Cam, that tweet about the professor getting arrested would be good here if you want to repost.

Anyway, I think it deserves its own thread.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   Empty Re: Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 09:24

The people paying for the protests are getting what they want, they think, attention on the conflict between Israel & Palestinian.

Except that is not the narrative in the US, as it is being overshadowed by the conflict between the keeping of public order and the protesters.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   Empty Re: Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.

Post by DWags 2024-04-26, 09:30

USC shutting down main stage graduation due to safety concerns.

Do the math here. Those kids parents. 2020 covid steals the high school graduation. 20/4 unrest on campus does.

As much as I hated my own graduations, I loved my daughters and was lucky to see them. I’m thinking those parents are pretty disappointed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-04-26, 09:37

DWags wrote:USC shutting down main stage graduation due to safety concerns.

Do the math here. Those kids parents. 2020 covid steals the high school graduation. 20/4 unrest on campus does.

As much as I hated my own graduations, I loved my daughters and was lucky to see them. I’m thinking those parents are pretty disappointed.

They should have known better and not graduated in 4 years.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 09:40

DWags wrote:USC shutting down main stage graduation due to safety concerns.

I'm agreeing with those who are saying the leaders, probably mostly Gen-X and Millennials, are over reacting. If only they were babyboomers who have seen this story before.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-26, 10:05

Trapper Gus wrote:The people paying for the protests are getting what they want, they think, attention on the conflict between Israel & Palestinian.

Except that is not the narrative in the US, as it is being overshadowed by the conflict between the keeping of public order and the protesters.

Who is paying for the protests? Whom are they paying? Where is this protest money going? Is the earth actually flat? Will the shadow government finally let me be happy? Was anti plankton banned because he was too close to the truth that the MODS don’t want you to hear?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:05

DWags, I don't think it gets way worse, aka Vietnam War protest levels, just because many fewer students have personal skin on the line.

If the college administrators keep their cool and political forces with their own motivation for escalating the situation shut up this just becomes an ongoing noise.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:08

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:The people paying for the protests are getting what they want, they think, attention on the conflict between Israel & Palestinian.

Who is paying for the protests? Whom are they paying? Where is this protest money going? Is the earth actually flat? Will the shadow government finally let me be happy? Was anti plankton banned because he was too close to the truth that the MODS don’t want you to hear?

😆

You know I posted the links to who is funding in a different thread, if I come across it while not posting from my phone I will put it here, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-26, 10:09

Trapper Gus wrote:DWags, I don't think it gets way worse, aka Vietnam War protest levels, just because many fewer students have personal skin on the line.

If the college administrators keep their cool and political forces with their own motivation for escalating the situation shut up this just becomes an ongoing noise.

Your second paragraph, first sentence, strikes me as the most frightening

Oh hey. look at the police officers being snipers on top of buildings at Indiana University yesterday

[tw]1783827807409438901?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-26, 10:10

No one could possibly be expected to read every single trapper Gus post without deleting the internet off of their phone and wandering off to live in a hut in the woods for the remainder of their natural life.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan, Cameron and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-04-26, 10:17

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:DWags, I don't think it gets way worse, aka Vietnam War protest levels, just because many fewer students have personal skin on the line.

Oh hey. look at the police officers being snipers on top of buildings at Indiana University yesterday

Not there for the protests. The snipers were waiting for the busses of immigrants.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:No one could possibly be expected to read every single trapper Gus post without deleting the internet off of their phone and wandering off to live in a hut in the woods for the remainder of their natural life.

I'm sure a sharp programmer could write the code to pick them off the board and let them scroll by...

I'm just defending my posting probity, poor as it probably is, from specious comments.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-26, 10:24

I don’t care I’m just joking please repost your link about who you think is paying for this. I looked in the other threads, can’t find it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:25

Motown Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Not there for the protests. The snipers were waiting for the busses of immigrants.  

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   1966794946

The police are no longer trained to do their jobs, correctly, we have a whole thread about that.

One wonders if they even stock rubber bullets in the ammo lockers anymore.

Not really following the MSM so don't know but as far as I have heard the protests have been peaceful with no property damage or unlawful occupation of buildings.

As I said, the administrators, egged on by ambitious politicians. are over reacting, which BTW, concedes, needlessly, the high moral ground to the protesters.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2024-04-26, 10:32; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t care I’m just joking please repost your link about who you think is paying for this. I looked in the other threads, can’t find it.

I know your joking, see the emoji.  🥰

As I said, when I'm off my phone I will try to do that.

The article said that some of the funding is coming from groups claiming to be pro-Palestinian rights but some of these groups are hiding who is really funding them behind the 503 anonymous donor law.

I searched for this due to the "organic" claims being made, which funding from "outside" groups suggests isn't completely true.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-26, 10:35

I googled it and I found that the New York post thinks that George Soros is paying for the protests. You know that you sound no less crazy, yeah?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 10:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I googled it and I found that the New York post thinks that George Soros is paying for the protests. You know that you sound no less crazy, yeah?

Good for you but no link? 😀

It was from some outfit called something like, newsnation, and they were quoting testimony to Congress from some State Department guy.  I looked up thier media rating and they seemed solid, though I had never heard of them.

As I said, it was more about who was paying to organize the protests, aka organic to college students or funded by outside of college groups, which does not mean the college students are not sincere, but raises questions about spontaneous protests.

I would think that after the astroturfed Tea Party & MomsforLiberty that any protest group would be vetted for funding by rational people, but that's just me, I guess.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 11:25

Page 7 of Israel War Thread...

Regarding today's protests...

As always, follow the money.

What groups are organizing these protests and where are they being funded from?

Typically the MSM is failing to report on this...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/25/us/college-protests-what-is-happening/index.html

So we may have to resort to less well-known sources, whose integrity we have less knowledge of...

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/israel-palestine/who-is-organizing-pro-palestine-protests/

Amid the recent wave of demonstrations both on and off college campuses, Jonathan Schanzer, a former Treasury Department official, says the organizing parties are not organic but cultivated by potentially dangerous groups.

“They’re extremely organized. There are a lot of the Islamist-leaning groups that I think many of us have come to expect here,” Schanzer told NewsNation. “These are not spontaneous. They are not necessarily organic. They are cultivated by groups that have an axe to grind.”

Back in November, Schanzer called for a more aggressive investigation of ties between pro-Palestinian groups in the U.S. and terrorist organizations in his testimony to Congress.

There are links to more information in the newsnationnow link.

Acorrding to this link: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsnation/   NewsNationNow is listed as no bias and highly factual.

Regarding the Vietnam War protests, and yes, being 8 years older that DWags it was personal...

What caused the protests on college campus to ramp up was the removal of the exemption for the draft of college students.  It really isn't that hard to figger out.  When 50% of college students were afraid they would be sent off to a seemingly endless war that was killing hundreds every month it was personal.  I was so very happy on the draft lottery day for my age group, in the spring of 1973, when my birthday was chosen as the 315th day to be drafted, which meant there was literally no way I was going to be drafted.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-26, 11:27

Trapper Gus wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I googled it and I found that the New York post thinks that George Soros is paying for the protests. You know that you sound no less crazy, yeah?

It was from some outfit called something like, newsnation, and they were quoting testimony to Congress from some State Department guy.  I looked up thier media rating and they seemed solid, though I had never heard of them.

As I said, it was more about who was paying to organize the protests, aka organic to college students or funded by outside of college groups, which does not mean the college students are not sincere, but raises questions about spontaneous protests.

I would think that after the astroturfed Tea Party & MomsforLiberty that any protest group would be vetted for funding by rational people, but that's just me, I guess.

Newsnation?!?  Isn't that the outfit that started because they thought Fox News was getting too liberal?  Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   502811600
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 11:32

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Newsnation?!?  Isn't that the outfit that started because they thought Fox News was getting too liberal?  Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   502811600

If you had read the next post, you would have found this, https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsnation/ and maybe, do you have a link stating that?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-26, 11:44

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

If you had read the next post, you would have found this, https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsnation/ and maybe, do you have a link stating that?

I think I got Newsnation and OAN confused. OAN was the one I remembered.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 11:52

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I think I got Newsnation and OAN confused. OAN was the one I remembered.

Well As I said, I had never heard of them so I did what I could to vet them, they still could be some biased reporting in sheep's clothing for all I know, so anything anyone knows about them I would be clad to read.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 11:53

https://www.bridgemi.com/talent-education/pro-palestinian-protests-spread-michigan-state-amid-nationwide-arrests
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 12:02

Trapper Gus wrote:Page 7 of Israel War Thread...

So we may have to resort to less well-known sources, whose integrity we have less knowledge of...

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/israel-palestine/who-is-organizing-pro-palestine-protests/

Amid the recent wave of demonstrations both on and off college campuses, Jonathan Schanzer, a former Treasury Department official, says the organizing parties are not organic but cultivated by potentially dangerous groups.

“They’re extremely organized. There are a lot of the Islamist-leaning groups that I think many of us have come to expect here,” Schanzer told NewsNation. “These are not spontaneous. They are not necessarily organic. They are cultivated by groups that have an axe to grind.”

Back in November, Schanzer called for a more aggressive investigation of ties between pro-Palestinian groups in the U.S. and terrorist organizations in his testimony to Congress.

Acorrding to this link: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsnation/   NewsNationNow is listed as no bias and highly factual.

Regarding the Vietnam War protests, and yes, being 8 years older that DWags it was personal...

What caused the protests on college campus to ramp up was the removal of the exemption for the draft of college students.  It really isn't that hard to figger out.  When 50% of college students were afraid they would be sent off to a seemingly endless war that was killing hundreds every month it was personal.  I was so very happy on the draft lottery day for my age group, in the spring of 1973, when my birthday was chosen as the 315th day to be drafted, which meant there was literally no way I was going to be drafted.

None of the claims the Schanzer guy made are corroborated by any evidence. Just him saying it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-04-26, 12:03

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I think you're thinking of "NewsMax" or something like that. It's the latest republican/libertarian mainstream media "news" network designed to put an end to democracy.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 12:23

Cameron wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Page 7 of Israel War Thread...

None of the claims the Schanzer guy made are corroborated by any evidence. Just him saying it.

Well he is sort of an expert in this area...however reading the entire article it isn't just him saying these things...

Previously, Dr. Schanzer served as a counterterrorism analyst at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, where he took part in the designation of numerous terrorism financiers.

Dr. Schanzer got his start in the policy world as a research fellow at the Middle East Forum, a Philadelphia-based think tank. He then worked as a research fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, where he authored the book Al-Qaeda's Armies: Middle East Affiliate Groups and the Next Generation of Terror. After his stint at Treasury, he was deputy executive director of the Jewish Policy Center and the editor of the JPC's journal, inFOCUS Quarterly

https://schanzer.pundicity.com/about
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 12:26

That's not corroborating evidence.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 12:31

Also, from your link:

After his stint at Treasury, he was deputy executive director of the Jewish Policy Center and the editor of the JPC's journal, inFOCUS Quarterly.

Let's look into this JPC, shall we?

Mission

The JPC passionately supports a strong American defense capability, U.S.-Israel security cooperation, and missile defense. We support Israel in its quest for legitimacy and security.

That seems impartial, this guy is probably being totally even-handed here.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 12:40

[tw]1783701647488856415[/tw]
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 12:42

Cameron wrote:Also, from your link:

After his stint at Treasury, he was deputy executive director of the Jewish Policy Center and the editor of the JPC's journal, inFOCUS Quarterly.

Let's look into this JPC, shall we?

Mission

The JPC passionately supports a strong American defense capability, U.S.-Israel security cooperation, and missile defense. We support Israel in its quest for legitimacy and security.

That seems impartial, this guy is probably being totally even-handed here.

You would think he probably knows much more about this that we do, given his background, how much of an advocate for one side is certainly a valid question, however, the question of how the protests are organized is just stating the facts, not advocation and he isn't the one writing the article...

Urja Sinha wrote:

(NewsNation) — Columbia University is warning of potential outside agitators as students hold continued protests calling for a cease-fire in Gaza and a divestment from Israel.

The demand has its roots in the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, a decades-old campaign against Israel’s policies toward the Palestinians. The movement has taken on new strength as the Israel-Hamas war surpasses the six-month mark and stories of suffering in Gaza have sparked international calls for a cease-fire.

But there are several organizations apart from the school groups who are supporting the pro-Palestine movement, calling for many of the same changes students nationwide are.

https://muckrack.com/urja-sinha
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 12:53

Here is the rest of his bio...

Jonathan Schanzer is vice president of research for the Foundation for Defense of Democracies and the author of the new book State of Failure: Yasser Arafat, Mahmoud Abbas and the Unmaking of the Palestinian State. His previous book, Hamas vs. Fatah: The Struggle for Palestine, is still the only book on the market that chronicles the Palestinian civil war.

And the link to his current employment...

https://www.fdd.org/

The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD) is a Washington, DC-based nonpartisan 501(c)(3) research institute focusing on national security and foreign policy. FDD does not accept donations from any foreign governments.

FDD conducts in-depth research, produces accurate and timely analyses, identifies illicit activities, and provides policy options – all with the aim of strengthening U.S. national security and reducing or eliminating threats posed by adversaries and enemies of the United States and other free nations.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 13:00

"Let me just go ahead and flood the zone with a bunch of extraneous information in the hopes that you forget how wrong I was..."

That's my impression of you.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-26, 13:03

Cameron wrote:Let me just go ahead and flood the zone with a bunch of extraneous information in the hopes that you forget how wrong I was...

It’s a weird strategy when it’s actually the exact opposite, say nothing at all for like just a few hours and let people move past it and forget that you were acting like a conspiracy theory nutter, is the most effective way to wiggle out of being accountable for your dumbest posts.

We’ve all been there. Most understand that hiding away and letting the thread get to the next page will accomplish so much more than any link ever could.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 13:21

Cameron wrote:"Let me just go ahead and flood the zone with a bunch of extraneous information in the hopes that you forget how wrong I was..."

That's my impression of you.

The difference between that idea and me is that I don't try to keep score, what I am trying to do is have the widest understand of the issues at hand, thus links to more sources of information.  The ideas which turn out to be in error drop off of the discussion, organically.

BTW, the article from The Bridge on the protests at MSU show a University President to "gets" how to manage the protest.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-26, 13:37

I see video of police on campus with about 50 of those plastic white zip ties they use in mass arrests. I guess I shouldn’t have a problem with that if I don’t have a solution, but when you go to campus with those already on your belt, what is the mindset of the cops? That they plan to deescalate the situation or plan on arresting a shit ton of people?

I know, “but wags if it gets out of control, they need them handy”. While that’s logical, don’t you think wearing 50 of those around your belt gives you a mindset that maybe you don’t have to deescalate for too long because they just handed you option b.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-26, 13:41

DWags wrote:I see video of police on campus with about 50 of those plastic white zip ties they use in mass arrests. I guess I shouldn’t have a problem with that if I don’t have a solution, but when you go to campus with those already on your belt, what is the mindset of the cops? That they plan to deescalate the situation or plan on arresting a shit ton of people?

I know, “but wags if it gets out of control, they need them handy”. While that’s logical, don’t you think wearing 50 of those around your belt gives you a mindset that maybe you don’t have to deescalate for too long because they just handed you option b.

At MSU?

I will say the President did the right thing by talking to the protestors and allowing the encampment to go on. If at the same time he is readying the police, then I take back what I said.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-26, 13:43

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:I see video of police on campus with about 50 of those plastic white zip ties they use in mass arrests. I guess I shouldn’t have a problem with that if I don’t have a solution, but when you go to campus with those already on your belt, what is the mindset of the cops? That they plan to deescalate the situation or plan on arresting a shit ton of people?

At MSU?

I will say the President did the right thing by talking to the protestors and allowing the encampment to go on. If at the same time he is readying the police, then I take back what I said.

I think the video was at Columbia.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-26, 19:04

[tw]1783881528088408554[/tw]

[tw]1783897184238485595[/tw]
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-27, 09:05

That they only care about killing on one side causes me to question their commitment to protecting all innocent lives.

I fear the students are being manipulated by groups with a one sided viewpoint.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-27, 09:20

Protests on campuses. Let’s put it here.   200.gif?cid=ddb306a56s35p157q9faizk6ymgbhuzucdlqpclfv13diycn&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next