Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's with chicks "claiming" baby names?

+33
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
Rocinante
The Pantry
Robert J Sakimano
tanfan!
Rook
Sponge Worthy
Crazy Jim9
Nommad2
AMwood
Rodeo Burger
ROtown Sparty
Fat Guy on Couch
Zeno
SpartanGuard
LoneWolfSparty
Larry Kazamias
Narwhal
Roger Waymeth
The Doctor
GRR Spartan
Giant Moose
goodbar
Chief Sparty
kingstonlake
Freddie_Quell
Stoops21
Cosmo_Kramer
WBill
Travis of the Cosmos
Senior Dickfist
37 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? Empty What's with chicks "claiming" baby names?

Post by y2kMgrad Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 pm

So tWife is pregnant and we found out a few weeks ago that we're having another girl. A week later, her cousin's wife told us we couldn't name her Sophia because that's what she is going to name her first girl. Then this past weekend a friend of ours told us not to name her Emily because she's claiming that name. WTF? Neither of these girls is even pregnant. We weren't considering either name but now I want to name her  Sophia Emily just to piss them both off.

Is this new? I don't remember going through this with our first one.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? Empty Re: What's with chicks "claiming" baby names?

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Stick with your first choices: Eunice Ruth.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? Empty Re: What's with chicks "claiming" baby names?

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Stick with your first choices: Eunice Ruth.

Or Helen Beatrice.
Or Winifred Josephine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Brandy Hoke has a nice ring to it.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Draw a line in the sand. Sophia Emily it is. Don't forget to piss on their legs to show dominance!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Senior Dickfist wrote:Draw a line in the sand.  Sophia Emily it is.  Don't forget to piss on their legs to show dominance!

Dominance is best shown through a solid mounting.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Can you not name her Elizabeth either? I'm sorta saving that one and I dont want to deal with the awkwardness of my hypothetical daughter sharing a name with a fellow message board poster's kid.

Thx.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm

It's sort of like calling out "shotgun" only different.

Last edited by WBill on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm

I'd go with a stripper name like Cherry, Misty or Bambi
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Can you not name her Elizabeth either? I'm sorta saving that one and I dont want to deal with the awkwardness of my hypothetical daughter sharing a name with a fellow message board poster's kid.

Thx.

I've got dibs on Elizabeth. Not the name; but on your hypothetical Elizabeth when she turns 18.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm

The Pantry wrote:I'd go with a stripper name like Cherry, Misty or Bambi

Kristi Tyme Outte

Last edited by Turtleneck on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Seven
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:Seven

Minus Forty Eight
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Minus Forty Eight

Seven costanza
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Just name her one of those names out of spite
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Freddie_Quell Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:31 pm

lol at having kids. (esp daughters) dude you are screwed!!!
Freddie_Quell
Freddie_Quell
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Plain and simple. Tell them to **** off.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm

Stoops21 wrote:Just name her one of those names out of spite

You can name a kid out of spite, sure, but good luck returning a jacket for spite.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

Seven costanza

Seinfeld is not funny.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

10-4, the next tailgate I'm at there's going to be some serious mounting!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chief Sparty Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Why can't they both be named Sophia? I have four friends that share my name plus my gf's dad. Since when did names become exclusive?
Chief Sparty
Chief Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Chief Sparty wrote:Why can't they both be named Sophia? I have four friends that share my name plus my gf's dad. Since when did names become exclusive?
You know four other people named Chief Sparty? That's amazing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:So tWife is pregnant and we found out a few weeks ago that we're having another girl. A week later, her cousin's wife told us we couldn't name her Sophia because that's what she is going to name her first girl. Then this past weekend a friend of ours told us not to name her Emily because she's claiming that name. WTF? Neither of these girls is even pregnant. We weren't considering either name but now I want to name her  Sophia Emily just to piss them both off.

Just mix it up a bit and go with Sofeeya or M.E. Lee.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm

You must have named your first kid a name that was on somebody else's list and unknowingly pissed people off.

All of the hens have been clucking about it since then, and they don't want it to happen again.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:11 pm

goodbar wrote:

Just mix it up a bit and go with Sofeeya or M.E. Lee.

I'm partial to Sophily and Emilia.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

I'm partial to Sophily and Emilia.

I am partial to Syphilis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Brandy Hoke has a nice ring to it.

My dad knows a guy who named his daughter Maizy Blue. What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? 502811600 
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

I am partial to Syphilis.

Sybil and Phyllis, amirite?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:

My dad knows a guy who named his daughter Maizy Blue. What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? 502811600 
That girl will end up dating AMwood.
tGreenWay wrote:

Sybil and Phyllis, amirite?
Yes, and maybe not such a bad name. Suggest it to tWife and let us know.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 pm

You could always go with an automotive name. Mercedes, Ferrari, Bentley and Porsche are all good ones. Personally, I'd stay away from Lexus and Infinity...the names are cheap and have little history
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 pm

y2kMgrad wrote:So tWife is pregnant and we found out a few weeks ago that we're having another girl. A week later, her cousin's wife told us we couldn't name her Sophia because that's what she is going to name her first girl. Then this past weekend a friend of ours told us not to name her Emily because she's claiming that name. WTF? Neither of these girls is even pregnant. We weren't considering either name but now I want to name her  Sophia Emily just to piss them both off.

Not new and you shouldn't give a shit. When our first was born we had a girl's name and a boy's name chosen because we chose not to know the gender. 8 years later when child #2 finally was on the way we found it was a boy so we had a name ready to go. That was until after he was born and we both agreed he didn't look like a Nathan.

Her's a link you may find enlightening.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-tell-someones-age-when-all-you-know-is-her-name/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Did you ever find out the gender?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Doctor Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:50 am

Turtleneck wrote:Did you ever find out the gender?

People need to keep the names a secret until the kid is actually born. You can't shotgun a name; however, I would avoid using the same name as any of your close friends children.
The Doctor
The Doctor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Waymeth Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:00 am

How bout something classy, like Mary Sue?
Roger Waymeth
Roger Waymeth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Narwhal Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:09 am

Your friends are doing a favor those 2 names are played out!
Narwhal
Narwhal
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:31 am

Just go with something that rhymes with Raiden.  Super unique.
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 am

Not new. And you don't have to do what friends tell you. I know scum fans don't understand that.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanGuard Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am

As a girl, the only rationale I can see is that you want your kid to have a somewhat unique name, especially among people your kids might end up playing with. I was a little bummed when a friend of mine named her son Max, because that's what I'd name a son if/when I have one and now I don't want her to think I'm copying. But she had her kid first so she got dibs on it (and I'm probably still going to name my hypothetical future son Max, so whatever). Tell your wife's friends that if they wanted to beat you to those names, they should have had a kid first. Though I don't know why they're trying to shotgun two of the most popular names for little girls right now...they're going to end up sorely disappointed when their someday-daughters get to preschool.
SpartanGuard
SpartanGuard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:40 am

Senior Dickfist wrote:Draw a line in the sand.  Sophia Emily it is.  Don't forget to piss on their legs to show dominance!

Turtleneck wrote:

What's with chicks "claiming" baby names? 1966794946 

SpartanGuard wrote:As a girl, the only rationale I can see is that you want your kid to have a somewhat unique name

So they go with Emily or Sophia? If you want a unique name shoot for the moon. Qwerty Sparklebottom __________.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeno Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:42 am

Whatever you name your kid, throw some Ys in where they shouldn't be.  That's a thing now.
Zeno
Zeno
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next