Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

+19
I.B. Fine
Cameron
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Wally Fairway
Dendrobates
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
SawGreen
Death Roe
keanro
DWags
y2kMgrad
kingstonlake
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
TheReal_LWS
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas Empty I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-18, 22:47

First penny that evil corporation has ever received from me. That hurt. Badly.

But she didn't want an Android, no matter how hard I tried to talk her into it.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas Empty Re: I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-18, 22:53

Did you leave your soul at the door too?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas Empty Re: I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-18, 22:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Did you leave your soul at the door too?

I hope not. But I definitely feel like I put it in jeopardy.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-18, 22:56

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Did you leave your soul at the door too?

He lost his soul when he was ordered to camp, OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-18, 23:04

How old is she bee?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-18, 23:08

Make sure she keeps her eye on that thing. Those things get stolen faster than a booger in Harbaughs left nostril.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-18, 23:12

kingstonlake wrote:Make sure she keeps her eye on that thing. Those things get stolen faster than a booger in Harbaughs left nostril.

Seriously? seems like they would be pretty easy to track.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-18, 23:17

Rocinante wrote:How old is she bee?

Creepy
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-12-18, 23:21

I have an iPhone 6 and my two years are up so I'm due for a new phone. Is it worth it to get the 8 or should I wait until the 10 or whatever?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-18, 23:22

y2kMgrad wrote:I have an iPhone 6 and my two years are up so I'm due for a new phone. Is it worth it to get the 8 or should I wait until the 10 or whatever?

I have no idea. I know nothing about iPhones. But I can tell you that the Note 8 is awesome! I almost walked out of the store with one of those for myself.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-18, 23:27

y2kMgrad wrote:I have an iPhone 6 and my two years are up so I'm due for a new phone. Is it worth it to get the 8 or should I wait until the 10 or whatever?

The 14 is going to be killer.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-18, 23:50

Turtleneck wrote:

Creepy

Not really dickface. Just wondering when people find it appropriate to buy a high end smartphone for their kid. But go ahead and go there, perv.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-19, 00:55

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Creepy

Not really dickface. Just wondering when people find it appropriate to buy a high end smartphone for their kid. But go ahead and go there, perv.

Both my girls got them in 5th or mayb 6th grade. They have both used them for homework. In that time we had to tell our daughter to take two pics down from the internet. I don’t follow them but my wife is pretty good. Now that one is turning 21, she’s been figuring it out on her own.

But there isn’t an age Roc. Just do what you think is right. Most parents will have a pretty good idea what their kid can handle. You’ll figure it out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-19, 01:05

Rocinante wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Creepy

Calm down. We all know that is what you were asking.

Ok. Serious question. Do they have cell towers where you live in Utah? Also, how many Johnny Utah jokes do you hear in a day?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by keanro 2017-12-19, 06:09

Good thing is that she didn't ask for an Iphone X.
keanro
keanro
Spartiate

http://4wheelonline.com/kumho-tires.223939

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 08:00

She's had a phone for a couple of years now. As she got more active in school we needed to be able to get a hold of her and have her get a hold of us.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 08:01

keanro wrote:Good thing is that she didn't ask for an Iphone X.

Yeah, she knew that thing was out of the question. Both because of the wait and because of the the cost. Is it really worth that much? Apple is off their rocker.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-19, 08:02

You can definitely get her a sweet camo Otterbox now for her iPhone 8!!!!!!
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 08:03

Death Roe wrote:You can definitely get her a sweet camo Otterbox now for her iPhone 8!!!!!!

She went with the Gold iPhone and wanted a clear case to show it off.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-12-19, 08:14

I just scrapped a 5 year old low end Moto for a new Moto Z. Honestly, other than being larger for my old eyes, there isn't much difference. What mystical spell has been cast to make folks want to replace a phone every 2 years?

I never went to the "I" dark side. What's it like?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 08:18

SawGreen wrote:I just scrapped a 5 year old low end Moto for a new Moto Z. Honestly, other than being larger for my old eyes, there isn't much difference. What mystical spell has been cast to make folks want to replace a phone every 2 years?

Most of the time it is battery life. As a phone hits 2 years old the battery life can start to plummet. Also, with updates to newer OS, sometimes the phone starts to slow down.

I don't know, my daughter has been using a hand-me-down iPhone 5 from my mom. She seems to love it. I hate Apple. With a passion. And will never personally go over to the dark side.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-19, 08:21

Battery life is the difference saw green. After having non iPhones for a decade I switched a few years ago because those non iPhones always turned into effective LAN lines since they constantly had to be plugged in for the last 6-12 months I had it. My iPhone hasn’t had that problem and is the only reason I like it better. Otherwise it’s the same shit. It’s a phone.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 08:25

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Battery life is the difference saw green. After having non iPhones for a decade I switched a few years ago because those non iPhones always turned into effective LAN lines since they constantly had to be plugged in for the last 6-12 months I had it. My iPhone hasn’t had that problem and is the only reason I like it better. Otherwise it’s the same shit. It’s a phone.

It is all in your head. Apple uses the same batteries that everyone else does.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-19, 08:27

SawGreen wrote:I just scrapped a 5 year old low end Moto for a new Moto Z. Honestly, other than being larger for my old eyes, there isn't much difference. What mystical spell has been cast to make folks want to replace a phone every 2 years?

I have had Windows phones since about 2005 because I liked them and my job is somewhat Microsoft-centric. I usually kept the phones about four years. I'm facing replacing my 2013 phone in a year or so and I'm f'ed now, having to decide between the dark side and Android.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-19, 08:45

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Battery life is the difference saw green. After having non iPhones for a decade I switched a few years ago because those non iPhones always turned into effective LAN lines since they constantly had to be plugged in for the last 6-12 months I had it. My iPhone hasn’t had that problem and is the only reason I like it better. Otherwise it’s the same shit. It’s a phone.

It is all in your head. Apple uses the same batteries that everyone else does.
Perhaps they do now. This is a few years ago. Making my previous phone go from fully charged to dead in three minutes was not in my head lws. That happened a lot.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-12-19, 08:53

Those phones are so damn expensive. I don’t think I would like my kid enough to spend that much money on a phone I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2017-12-19, 09:15

They are caught up in the hype, and justify it with stories of battery life.
I still rock a Galaxy SIII (that's right the 3), sure the battery life doesn't hold up.
But you know what they did with this amazing device ..... they made it so I can open the back of the case and put in a brand new battery.
Then again I use this device 60% to text family & friends, 35% to make phone calls and about 5% to do other things (surf the interwebs). I'm not looking for a gaming, music, or video device.
I might update in the next year or two, when I find one they are giving away ... maybe a S6 or S7, when they come out with the 10 or 12.

full disclosure - I don't really like paying just to have new things, I own 4 vehicles - Mrs. Fairway drives the newest one & it is a 2012. I really like having no payments for things like phones, cars, and the like.
My kids and wife do all have iPhones because they are of that brainwashed tribe.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-19, 09:21

Wally Fairway wrote:My kids and wife do all have iPhones because they are of that brainwashed tribe.

I have an iPhone.....i think it's a 4, still works, still holds a charge all day, no reason to change. My kids think I'm a dork for not upgrading.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-19, 09:43

Dendrobates wrote:Those phones are so damn expensive. I don’t think I would like my kid enough to spend that much money on a phone I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas 502811600

Yeah I think until she’s like 16 at least, she gets my old phone.

I’m sure that attitude will last. :D
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-19, 09:54

Dendo and Roc, who knows what they'll have out when your kids start texting each other.   16 years ago, I wouldn't have dreamt that this stuff would exist.  25 years ago and I'd tell you you're all crazy to talk about phones with screens that I can watch t.v. with in a stadium and text my friends.   Shits moving fast as hell.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-19, 10:19

When is the appropriate time to get their children a brain implant?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-19, 10:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:When is the appropriate time to get their children a brain implant?

Dammit Travis. Beat me to it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-12-19, 11:05

The whole smart phone and social media thing scar s me with kids. Even though you teach your kids what’s right and smart, they’re still fucking kids and fuck it. The whole predator thing scares me. I have no idea what is right to do or not. And frankly, I don’t think any of us knows.

But I really want to stick with my kid not getting the best and top of the line stuff. Even though I may be to afford it. I’m grateful I wasn’t given what I was given as a kid. Of course, my family didn’t have a pot to piss in. I get my view points will change on some things in the future, but I see what it’s done for my husband and me, and I think that’s beneficial .

Plus, fuck the hype of getting new phones every 2 years. Mine is a piece of shit and it’s been 3 years. I’m getting a new one soon only because of that. Probably looking st a Samsung, or something similar that may be cheaper.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-19, 11:31

The sooner the kid gets an iPad the better.

Love,
Boomers
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-12-19, 12:22

Dendrobates wrote:The whole smart phone and social media thing scar s me with kids. Even though you teach your kids what’s right and smart, they’re still fucking kids and fuck it. The whole predator thing scares me. I have no idea what is right to do or not. And frankly, I don’t think any of us knows.

But I really want to stick with my kid not getting the best and top of the line stuff. Even though I may be to afford it. I’m grateful I wasn’t given what I was given as a kid. Of course, my family didn’t have a pot to piss in. I get my view points will change on some things in the future, but I see what it’s done for my husband and me, and I think that’s beneficial .

Plus, fuck the hype of getting new phones every 2 years. Mine is a piece of shit and it’s been 3 years. I’m getting a new one soon only because of that. Probably looking st a Samsung, or something similar that may be cheaper.

We don't actually HAVE to get new phones every 2 years, but our monthly plan doesn't change whether we get them or not. So in that sense I'm kinda selling myself short if we don't get them. But our phones are working fine so I think I'm just going to cancel the insurance and use them until they break or I drop it into the toilet or something.

As far as children, I told my 7yo she can get a phone as soon as she's old enough to get a job and buy it. I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas 1f44d
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-12-19, 12:25

My daughter knew the passcode to my wife's Iphone before she could talk.
She also kind of has a phone. It was an old one that I had, Sony Xperia, but its more like a small tablet.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-19, 14:01

We're getting my daughter (11yo) an iPod touch for Christmas. That's what she wants the most. Doesn't have a phone, and has never asked for one. I'm sure she'd take one, but she's had a Samsung tablet for a couple of years, and she can text from that and play games, etc. She's always with someone who has a phone and that we trust, so it's not like we need her to have a phone to be in contact. The only thing a phone would offer her is the ability to do more of the texting and stuff when she's away from wifi (not like kids actually use the phone feature of a phone much), and I'm glad she's not so into texting/chatting that she can't be out of contact from her friends for a few hours. I'll enjoy that while it lasts.

Wife and I don't really want to submit her to the Apple world, but my daughter is begging for it. Not because she loves Apple products, but just so that she can iMessage and Facetime with friends. She's tried to get her friends to download Skype or something else, but they (and/or their parents) are too clueless to comprehend that there are better, more versatile options than what Apple tries to make you use. FTR, I have no problem with Apple products (I'm typing this on an iMac, and still use an iPod classic for my music), but some people need to realize that there is more out there.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-12-19, 14:24

If you're buying a $700+ phone for a child, no one is going to weep crocodile tears for you.

I think you're delusional if you think not using an Apple product is some moral cause.  You choose the Android/Chrome/MS universe and your money ios going to a different group of multi-nationals.  

The only reason Android isn't a sole source OS like Apple's iOS is China told Google they would prohibit Google manufacturing and sales in China after they bought Motorola after plans to have a separate Android for Google products leaving other firms to fend for themselves.

You can spend $700+ on an Andoid phone too.  Just other multinationals getting your money for their stuff.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-19, 14:43

GRR Spartan wrote:If you're buying a $700+ phone for a child, no one is going to weep crocodile tears for you.

I think you're delusional if you think not using an Apple product is some moral cause.  You choose the Android/Chrome/MS universe and your money ios going to a different group of multi-nationals.  

The only reason Android isn't a sole source OS like Apple's iOS is China told Google they would prohibit Google manufacturing and sales in China after they bought Motorola after plans to have a separate Android for Google products leaving other firms to fend for themselves.

You can spend $700+ on an Andoid phone too.  Just other multinationals getting your money for their stuff.

HOT TAKE!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-19, 15:03

GRR Spartan wrote:If you're buying a $700+ phone for a child, no one is going to weep crocodile tears for you.

I'd rather have white people getting my money. I'll switch to Apple tomorrow. Thanks.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next