Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

+19
I.B. Fine
Cameron
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Wally Fairway
Dendrobates
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
SawGreen
Death Roe
keanro
DWags
y2kMgrad
kingstonlake
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
TheReal_LWS
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas - Page 2 Empty Re: I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

Post by Guest Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm

TheReal_LWS wrote:

HOT TAKE!

As if none of his $$ is going to "multinationals"....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas - Page 2 Empty Re: I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas

Post by Cameron Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:09 pm

My next phone might be an iPhone. I have a Droid Razr HD that's old as fuck and I have hated the thing since virtually the day I got it. I had an iPod touch for a while (got stolen) that I really liked, and I much prefer iTunes to GooglePlay Music, so that's a point for Apple. I'll do more research once I'm actually ready to upgrade, but I'm leaning towards whatever the newest model of iPhone is that still has a headphone jack for my next phone. I don't care about having the latest and greatest, so if I can save some money getting new old stock, I pretty much always will, and not just for phones.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Cameron wrote:My next phone might be an iPhone. I have a Droid Razr HD that's old as fuck and I have hated the thing since virtually the day I got it. I had an iPod touch for a while (got stolen) that I really liked, and I much prefer iTunes to GooglePlay Music, so that's a point for Apple. I'll do more research once I'm actually ready to upgrade, but I'm leaning towards whatever the newest model of iPhone is that still has a headphone jack for my next phone. I don't care about having the latest and greatest, so if I can save some money getting new old stock, I pretty much always will, and not just for phones.

That would be the 6s I think. I have it. It’s got kind of a small screen and it’s range for WiFi is significantly less than my old Samsung galaxy s5. It’s much more intuitive though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

HOT TAKE!

Feel so strongly about it that he said it twice.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 am

Why didn’t LWS standup to his daughter and tell her he’s paying the bills and the phone contract so she gets what he decides until she’s got her own job and money to buy her “evil corporation” iPhone?

If it was a $200 Moto from Costco or nuthin’ my money says she grits her teeth and accepts the free phone.

What the hell are you going to do for her car or choice of college?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:36 am

Shut the fuck up GRR.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

GRR Spartan wrote:Why didn’t LWS standup to his daughter and tell her he’s paying the bills and the phone contract so she gets what he decides until she’s got her own job and money to buy her “evil corporation” iPhone?

If it was a $200 Moto from Costco or nuthin’ my money says she grits her teeth and accepts the free phone.

What the hell are you going to do for her car or choice of college?

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas - Page 2 Giphy
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:19 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Shut the fuck up GRR.

Back at you OPTI

Fuck you and a very secular Happy Holidays
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am

LooseGoose wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

HOT TAKE!

Never said it wasn't.

We just choose what corporations we all buy from.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Shut the fuck up GRR.

Back at you OPTI

Fuck you and a very secular Happy Holidays

I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas - Page 2 1966794946 I feel dirty....I just bought my daughter an iPhone8 for Christmas - Page 2 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Dendrobates wrote:The whole smart phone and social media thing scar s me with kids. Even though you teach your kids what’s right and smart, they’re still fucking kids and fuck it. The whole predator thing scares me. I have no idea what is right to do or not. And frankly, I don’t think any of us knows.

But I really want to stick with my kid not getting the best and top of the line stuff. Even though I may be to afford it. I’m grateful I wasn’t given what I was given as a kid. Of course, my family didn’t have a pot to piss in. I get my view points will change on some things in the future, but I see what it’s done for my husband and me, and I think that’s beneficial .

Plus, fuck the hype of getting new phones every 2 years. Mine is a piece of shit and it’s been 3 years. I’m getting a new one soon only because of that. Probably looking st a Samsung, or something similar that may be cheaper.

You may want to check this out:
The Boogeyman Exists; And He's In Your Child's Back Pocket: Internet Safety Tips For Keeping Your Children Safe Online, Smartphone Safety, Social Media Safety, and Gaming Safety
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:54 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:Honestly, you should consider switching the entire family to Apple products. Android's operating system is just fucking terrible. I had that piece of shit Galaxy S4 Active for a few months and I had to return it twice. Garbage.
This post is fanboi bullshit.

Android's OS is fine. Have had an S4 Active, S6 Active, and picked up an S8 Active last week. Never any issues with the OS. Either you're lying through your teeth or you got a lemon.

The S8 Active is pretty nice. Biggest battery (4000 mAh) of the S8 line (and 50% bigger than the iPhone 8). Had it charged to 100% yesterday morning. It's currently at 60% 36 hours later. Reviews I've seen say it can stream video for 24 hours straight without charging.

Plus:
With Samsung's most resilient phone yet, you can run in the rain, play in the mud, spill on it, splash it, dunk it, then wipe it off and keep going. The IP68 dust and water resistance ingress Protection rating means your phone is completely protected against dust, and it is water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. Your phone has also passed military specification (MIL-STD-810G) testing against a subset of 20 specific environmental conditions, including temperature, dust and sand, shock and vibration, low pressure, and high altitude.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:Honestly, you should consider switching the entire family to Apple products. Android's operating system is just fucking terrible. I had that piece of shit Galaxy S4 Active for a few months and I had to return it twice. Garbage.

Yeah.......no.

Wife and I have had nothing but Androids since 2008. We've had nothing but great service out of those handsets.

TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 am

Apple's iPhones slowed to tackle ageing batteries
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42438745
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am

I couldn't hold out on my kids past 11 or 12 and they were about the last ones in class to get one.  And it absolutely had to be IPhone.  As outrageous as I think it is the kids start to get too jealous and feel excluded.
The one good thing about it is it is ALL they want and so I don't have to continue living in toy clutter hell.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 am

The Pantry wrote:
This post is fanboi bullshit.

Android's OS is fine. Have had an S4 Active, S6 Active, and picked up an S8 Active last week. Never any issues with the OS. Either you're lying through your teeth or you got a lemon.

The S8 Active is pretty nice. Biggest battery (4000 mAh) of the S8 line (and 50% bigger than the iPhone 8). Had it charged to 100% yesterday morning. It's currently at 60% 36 hours later. Reviews I've seen say it can stream video for 24 hours straight without charging.

Plus:
With Samsung's most resilient phone yet, you can run in the rain, play in the mud, spill on it, splash it, dunk it, then wipe it off and keep going. The IP68 dust and water resistance ingress Protection rating means your phone is completely protected against dust, and it is water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. Your phone has also passed military specification (MIL-STD-810G) testing against a subset of 20 specific environmental conditions, including temperature, dust and sand, shock and vibration, low pressure, and high altitude.
I have the regular S8, not the active. I know it says it has whatever IP rating that it can be submerged in a few feet of water for up to 30 minutes, and I've seen people doing underwater shots with them on youtube and everything, but I'm still afraid to try. Am I just stupid and paranoid?

I also read this stuff about how you're not supposed to charge your phone after using it in the water for X hours, and that you should also blow water out of the other crevices.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:12 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:and that you should also blow water out of the other crevices.

We are still talking about the phone, right?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 pm

on

Own an iPhone 5s and that isn't shocking.
Its like everything with a processor and a battery. Keep adding on stuff on the software side with the older processor and battery, something's got to give.

Apple keeps allowing you to upgrade older units. My 5s is at the bottom of the list which means its the next one that won't get updated.

Android takes a different approach with new versions that go along with newer, faster, more powerful processors. If you can live without the latest and greatest Android iOS you get a new phone. Conversly Apple gives you updates but be aware your phone's performance might suffer with each update.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:00 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:
on

Own an iPhone 5s and that isn't shocking.
Its like everything with a processor and a battery. Keep adding on stuff on the software side with the older processor and battery, something's got to give.

Apple keeps allowing you to upgrade older units. My 5s is at the bottom of the list which means its the next one that won't get updated.

Android takes a different approach with new versions that go along with newer, faster, more powerful processors. If you can live without the latest and greatest Android iOS you get a new phone. Conversly Apple gives you updates but be aware your phone's performance might suffer with each update.
Android updates it software for older phones, too. Maybe they stop supporting updates sooner than Apple, but on my last phone, I was still getting notices for occasional software updates after 2.5 years. Some manufacturers might continue to update longer than others.

But is that a good thing to update phones that are 2-3 years old? Honestly, updates for 90% of the population are usually pretty worthless, especially after a year or so. Once you've had your phone for a year to a year and half, do you really need an update? If your phone is working fine, it won't make it much better, and is more likely to make it worse (software that is well beyond your hardware, as you were saying). If your phone is struggling, an update isn't likely to help (the update at that point isn't made to fix issues on old phones). The new features on software updates usually aren't anything so revolutionary that it has a big impact on most users, especially of old phones. I stop doing updates on my phones after about a year. Just not worth the risk of trying to fix something that ain't broke at that point.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:49 am

Trying to backup my daughters iphone 6 and transfer all her shit to the 8. I'm getting the spinning wheel of death using icloud. Now I have to haul out a laptop, plug it in and download itunes. WTF. With android all I ever do is punch in my gmail account and voila! all my shit is on my new phone.

Apple fugging sux.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:01 am

Nordic wrote:Trying to backup my daughters iphone 6 and transfer all her shit to the 8. I'm getting the spinning wheel of death using icloud. Now I have to haul out a laptop, plug it in and download itunes. WTF. With android all I ever do is punch in my gmail account and voila! all my shit is on my new phone.

Apple fugging sux.

Still not as bad as when they were young and you had to assemble those fucking toys Christmas Day.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:06 am

Good point. Thanfully both are teenagers so it is cloths and phones.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:14 am

Ghost, what did you get little b for Christmas?
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Nordic wrote:Good point. Thanfully both are teenagers so it is cloths and phones.

Gets easier. Just give them money. That shit fits.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:Ghost, what did you get little b for Christmas?

Kid got more toys than we know what to do with. Took half of them and hid them in a closet unopened.

Nice. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I'm sorry everyone thinks I'm you. lol
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:29 pm

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:Good point. Thanfully both are teenagers so it is cloths and phones.

Gets easier. Just give them money. That shit fits.

Wags? Will you come read to me on Halloween?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2