Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+26
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
aualum06
Tim Wakefield
MattyFresh
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
Nordic
SawGreen
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Rocinante
DWags
Banks2Mason
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Cameron
30 posters

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue 4 May 2021 - 20:38

Sounds fantastic to me.

I will be sure to rate it on the WBH 1-5 ponytail scale after viewing.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 23 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 4 May 2021 - 20:44

Anyone watch Invincible on prime? I was resistant to an adult cartoon, bit the violence kind of requires it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed 5 May 2021 - 22:48

So Miami, I may not get through this entire movie and I'm not gonna judge it by this one thing. And I don't know a lot about putting hits out on Navy Seals, or how the Russian mob operates. But the one thing I do know is that if you're going to jump out of a minivan and murder someone in their car, it's definitely best to do it while you're stuck in a traffic jam.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 8 May 2021 - 6:26

Have watched about 1/2 the 1st season of Mr. Mercedes. Talk about fucked up.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 9 May 2021 - 20:43

Re: Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse, maybe the screenwriters should have more than a little remorse for the movie they wrote.

Promising Young Woman is just a love letter to the Me, too movement. Just not good, and it does the entire movement wrong.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 9 May 2021 - 21:33

tGreenWay wrote:Re: Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse, maybe the screenwriters should have more than a little remorse for the movie they wrote.

Promising Young Woman is just a love letter to the Me, too movement. Just not good, and it does the entire movement wrong.

So I almost watched Clancy last week. Hard pass?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 9 May 2021 - 22:32

tGreenWay wrote:Re: Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse, maybe the screenwriters should have more than a little remorse for the movie they wrote.

To have great source material, with depth of plot and depth of characters, but then decide, "Nah, throw that in the garbage, let's do something completely different instead," was a bold move that did not pay off.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 10 May 2021 - 11:46

DWags wrote:

It’s not a good movie and does the book no justice. But, if you’re looking to kill 110 minutes because there’s nothing else to do or watch, skip it and take a nap.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 19 May 2021 - 23:38

Wonder Woman 1984 is terrible and long and terrible. And the worst part is Chris Pine has something wrong with his face now. He was the greatest Chris. Now he’s meh. But yeah. Terrible movie.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 19 May 2021 - 23:51

Godzilla vs. Kong was better than Tenet.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 20 May 2021 - 7:06

Tehran on Apple TV. Pretty good spy series about a Mossad agent inserted into Iran. Israeli show, so you'll need to be able to handle subtitles. Maybe about 20% is in English though.

And speaking of foreign language spy series, Hulu has the German "Deutschland" series, which is great. Three seasons so far, Deutschland 83, Deutschland 86, and Deutschland 89. Each season is set in those years and surround major Cold War events. I love Cold War spy stuff, but it is so often about Russia, so it is cool to see it focused on East Germany, from German perspective.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 20 May 2021 - 8:55

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

It’s not a good movie and does the book no justice. But, if you’re looking to kill 110 minutes because there’s nothing else to do or watch, skip it and take a nap.

I finished it last weekend. I thought it was terrible and I'm an action movie guy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 20 May 2021 - 9:00

Re-watched the A team last night. Great movie.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 20 May 2021 - 9:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:Tehran on Apple TV. Pretty good spy series about a Mossad agent inserted into Iran. Israeli show, so you'll need to be able to handle subtitles. Maybe about 20% is in English though.

And speaking of foreign language spy series, Hulu has the German "Deutschland" series, which is great. Three seasons so far, Deutschland 83, Deutschland 86, and Deutschland 89. Each season is set in those years and surround major Cold War events. I love Cold War spy stuff, but it is so often about Russia, so it is cool to see it focused on East Germany, from German perspective.

I really enjoyed Tehran. Very well done.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 21 May 2021 - 16:25

Mare of East Town is pretty good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat 22 May 2021 - 22:44

Holy shit does nomadland suck. I’d stick a knitting needle in my eye if I wasn’t drunk and need to finish this. Worst movie ever.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 23 May 2021 - 0:44

I made it a point to watch SNL because Lil Nas X was the musical guest. I think he's a really interesting kid. I watched his first performance and honestly was chuckling out loud thinking about how something like that would have played in like 1995.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun 23 May 2021 - 1:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I made it a point to watch SNL because Lil Nas X was the musical guest. I think he's a really interesting kid. I watched his first performance and honestly was chuckling out loud thinking about how something like that would have played in like 1995.

Didn’t watch. What about the performance?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 23 May 2021 - 1:49

It was very gay and very sexually suggestive.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 23 May 2021 - 8:17

DWags wrote:Holy shit does nomadland suck. I’d stick a knitting needle in my eye if I wasn’t drunk and need to finish this. Worst movie ever.

I can only assume that a lot of critics and members of the Academy are lonely, depressed, 70+ year olds.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 7 Jun 2021 - 20:26

Anyone watch "The underground railroad" on prime?

I know it's fiction, wonder how much is based on real events... I'm sure it's a book I didn't read.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:17

Jupiter's legacy. It got better as it went.
Army of the dead, entertaining enough, a few interesting tidbits.
Mindhunter: Unabomber. Finished it in a couple days.
Start up. Only on season 1, I like it, trying to see if I recognize all the spots in Miami.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:21

Without scrolling has anyone been impressed with Mare of Eastown? If you haven’t watched the lone season seven episodes do it. No way do you guess how it ends. No way. I don’t see a season two.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:21

Without scrolling has anyone been impressed with Mare of Eastown? If you haven’t watched the lone season seven episodes do it. No way do you guess how it ends. No way. I don’t see a season two.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 6:36

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Anyone watch "The underground railroad" on prime?

I know it's fiction, wonder how much is based on real events... I'm sure it's a book I didn't read.

Watched it this weekend. I don't think any of it is based on actual events, other than a lot of the treatment of slaves. But some of the major events are so far from reality that it was more like a parallel universe (not in a sci-fi/time travel way). And I don't say that as a complaint. I'd rather them obviously step away from real history than change small things or do some sketchy revisionism. The slave treatment scenes that were realistic were still very powerful and disturbing. I liked the show.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 6:42

MiamiSpartan wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Anyone watch "The underground railroad" on prime?

Watched it this weekend. I don't think any of it is based on actual events, other than a lot of the treatment of slaves. But some of the major events are so far from reality that it was more like a parallel universe (not in a sci-fi/time travel way). And I don't say that as a complaint. I'd rather them obviously step away from real history than change small things or do some sketchy revisionism. The slave treatment scenes that were realistic were still very powerful and disturbing. I liked the show.
Yeah assumed, more thinking of the Carolina episodes where they treated the slaves so vastly different. Just wondering if there is a shred of hostory in any of it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 6:48

InTenSity wrote:Jupiter's legacy. It got better as it went.
Start up. Only on season 1, I like it, trying to see if I recognize all the spots in Miami.

My wife watched Start Up. I only kind of watched some here or there, as I had other things going on. Seemed good. It was weird to see Miami host that Cryptocurrency expo last week, combined with the gang wars going on, after she was just watching that show.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 6:51

DWags wrote: Without scrolling has anyone been impressed with Mare of Eastown? If you haven’t watched the lone season seven episodes do it. No way do you guess how it ends. No way. I don’t see a season two.

Yeah, that was good. I didnt see the ending coming.

I think it was only planned as a limited series for just the one season, so I doubt there is a season 2 unless they force one.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 7:02

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yeah assumed, more thinking of the Carolina episodes where they treated the slaves so vastly different. Just wondering if there is a shred of hostory in any of it.

I know what you mean, with the South Carolina town, right? The first episode seemed very real. Then the 2nd, with South Carolina, was like, "Did I miss ever learning about some unknown little story/experiment? And by episode 3, with North Carolina's law, that's when I was sure they weren't trying to pretend to be historical, and was able to enjoy it in that context.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 14:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I finished it last weekend. I thought it was terrible and I'm an action movie guy.

I try to support Michael B. Jordan because he’s such a big time Spartan fan, or at least he was. I may have to reassess that attitude in the future.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 15:07

InTenSity wrote:Jupiter's legacy. It got better as it went.

Watched something in the past couple of years that had to do with the Behavioral Science Unit of the FBI and its pursuit of the Unabomber. It was a limited series run and very interesting in how they used Ted’s use and spelling of certain words to narrow down his geographic origin. Knowing where he came from helped considerably when it came discovering suspects. Can’t remember the name, but I’ll look for it or maybe someone here remembers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 15:13

DWags wrote: Without scrolling has anyone been impressed with Mare of Eastown? If you haven’t watched the lone season seven episodes do it. No way do you guess how it ends. No way. I don’t see a season two.

Very much enjoyed the series and didn’t see the end coming. There was one storyline especially that I thought was subtle but well done. There’s also one piece of the ending I have a huge problem with because it just wouldn’t happen, but I’ll mention that another time, with a warning, because it includes so many spoilers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 15:20

And Miami, since you enjoy Cold War spy stuff, have you watched Spy City? I’m enjoying it so far.
And then there’s The Courier, w/Benedict Cumberbunbatch. The true story of how a civilian salesman was recruited by MI6 and the CIA to pick up info from a Russian source. All that info helped the US when it stood its ground against Khrushchev during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 15:26

Speaking of Jupiter's Legacy, how inclined are you to start a series knowing Netflix already cancelled it?

I won't watch this even if you gave it great reviews... specifically because I'd be pissed it was cancelled. I think that's half the reason I'm finding it hard to find stuff to watch.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 17:44

tGreenWay wrote:And Miami, since you enjoy Cold War spy stuff, have you watched Spy City? I’m enjoying it so far.
And then there’s The Courier, w/Benedict Cumberbunbatch. The true story of how a civilian salesman was recruited by MI6 and the CIA to pick up info from a Russian source. All that info helped the US when it stood its ground against Khrushchev during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I've heard of The Courier. Will definitely check it out at some point. Oleg Penkovsky is the Soviet agent that he would get the info from, I believe. Always been really fascinated by Penkovsky.

Thanks for the heads up on Spy City. Looks like it's on AMC+, which I don't have, but I'll have to sign up for a free trial.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 18:32

Yes, it’s Penkovsky. I haven’t checked yet to see how much of the story is real vs. how much is Hollywood, but it was quite a friendship created between Greville Wynne and Penkovsky, at least in the movie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 20:31

tGreenWay wrote:

Very much enjoyed the series and didn’t see the end coming. There was one storyline especially that I thought was subtle but well done. There’s also one piece of the ending I have a huge problem with because it just wouldn’t happen, but I’ll mention that another time, with a warning, because it includes so many spoilers.

Thought the writing should win awards.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 8 Jun 2021 - 21:39

Half way throught "nobody" and enjoying it very much....
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 4:28

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Speaking of Jupiter's Legacy, how inclined are you to start a series knowing Netflix already cancelled it?

I won't watch this even if you gave it great reviews... specifically because I'd be pissed it was cancelled. I think that's half the reason I'm finding it hard to find stuff to watch.
I didn't know they cancelled it. That sucks. It set up for season 2, but you can watch season 1 as a standalone.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 4:38

Go to bed, InTen.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next