Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

+19
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
Motown Spartan
Rocinante
Heathens '87
NigelUno
MattyFresh
DWags
Nordic
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
23 posters

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 19 Apr 2021 - 18:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:They’re not wrong about legacy fans tbh. Very few are going to stop watching games and fewer yet will not be watching them in 5 years.

Having the term legacy fans get out there is not exactly great pr in the short term. But they’re not wrong

And that's the damnable misery of it. It is true, sadly. When the Glazers did their hostile takeover of United in 2005, I couldn't bring myself to watch them for probably 6 months. It was too sad, too deflating. But then I caught a couple of minutes of a game and some of the players just reminded me if how much I enjoy watching THEM and the game itself.

At this point, if it all goes through as it currently is laid out, I don't know if I'd watch the Super League, but if I do, it would be on a pirated stream, even if I have whatever pay streaming service that they will put it on (they are supposedly in talks with Amazon, Facebook, and others).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 19 Apr 2021 - 19:04

Well said.

[tw]1384252197081272326?s=19[/tw]

He also adds, regarding the shirts before the game, at the end that he hasn't seen one football fan that likes this and that football is ultimately for the fans and because of the fans.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 19 Apr 2021 - 19:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I get the whole "earn it" thing.. considering the founders are automatically in.

but what is the "for the fans" piece? That seems like some hyperbole shit

No, this is an affront to fans.

Fan groups were not consulted at all.

The ESL teams have reportedly said that they don't have to worry about losing the "legacy fans", and that this is about reaching new markets (North America and Asia, primarily). Completely taking the fans for granted.

And beyond their own fans, perhaps more importantly, is what it does to every fan of every other club in every level. They basically told them, "Your team will never play with the big boys". Teams like Leicester City, and West Ham that are both right in the mix for Champions League spots. And no more hopes and dreams of smaller clubs in lower leagues getting to that level.

Most of these clubs, at least in England, were started by poor, working class people, as the teams for workers at mills, railroads, etc. "Created by the poor, stolen by the rich" reads a sign outside Old Trafford today.

Obviously, this is something I feel strongly about, so forgive me if I'm ranting too much. Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 502811600

don't apologize. it's nice to have this perspective because i am obviously a noob fan that the super league is trying to appeal to
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 19 Apr 2021 - 19:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:Well said.

[tw]1384252197081272326?s=19[/tw]

He also adds, regarding the shirts before the game, at the end that he hasn't seen one football fan that likes this and that football is ultimately for the fans and because of the fans.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 1486952199 Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 1486952199
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 12:25

I have never in my life seen something in sports anywhere in the world spark such strong and nearly universal outrage among coaches, players, fans, media, and governments. It gives me some hope.

I'm starting to think that either this thing is going to collapse, or the Super League will negotiate something. And by negotiate, I mean pay huge bribes to governments, the leagues, UEFA, FIFA, broadcasters, etc.

Ideally, this thing collapses, but also forces UEFA and FIFA to institute massive reforms.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 13:39

miami what do you think the massive reforms would/should look like? i know it was complained that too many teams/too many games but that means less $ so the powers won't like that
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 15:11

Reforms that are more on the structural/administrative side, rather than the format of the tournaments. Despite the scandal and arrests a few years ago, there is still a lot of corruption, a lack of transparency, etc., with UEFA and FIFA. Also, there have been calls for more equitable distribution of money to the various European Leagues, more input from club teams and national team organizations regarding timing/scheduling for club tournaments as well as international tournaments and friendlies.

Bottom line is that UEFA and FIFA think they're the only game in town (which they kind of are, short of a Super League), and they behave like monopolies tend to do if left unregulated. The UEFA/FIFA issues shouldn't be obscured by the opposition to the Super League. It doesn't make them good, only the lesser of two evils.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 15:39

[tw]1384577055447212032?s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 16:07

Ed Woodward is OUT at Manchester United. The second most disastrous thing that has happened to United in the last 60 years (behind the Glazers themselves). I'm fucking doing cartwheels.

With Cheslea and City pretending that they have some moral high ground by trying to leave, this could all be collapsing.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 16:50

MiamiSpartan wrote:Ed Woodward is OUT at Manchester United. The second most disastrous thing that has happened to United in the last 60 years (behind the Glazers themselves). I'm fucking doing cartwheels.

With Cheslea and City pretending that they have some moral high ground by trying to leave, this could all be collapsing.

[tw]1384583282428465161?s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 17:11

This is nuts
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 17:40

This is a good day. It is not the end of this, though. Greedy owners will regroup and try it again at some point. But this shows that the fans and players have power.

I hope the momentum that has built with so many parties on board, including the British government, can push to implement ownership restrictions. It is the only way to prevent another attempt in a few years. Why weren't any German teams involved? Because it is a legal requirement in Germany that the club (i.e., fans/members) must own 50% + 1 share, so that no outside investors can own a majority stake.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 18:38

that sounds like an excellent rule, miami. COYS
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 20 Apr 2021 - 20:22

it has collapsed. did the fans just win over $? what kinda bizzaro fuckin world am i in?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 0:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:it has collapsed. did the fans just win over $? what kinda bizzaro fuckin world am i in?

Yes, pretty much. But fans = money. If fans can come together, they're the most powerful force in sports. The coming together is the hard part, especially in large enough numbers to have an impact.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 0:54

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:it has collapsed. did the fans just win over $? what kinda bizzaro fuckin world am i in?

Yes, pretty much.  But fans = money.  If fans can come together, they're the most powerful force in sports.  The coming together is the hard part, especially in large enough numbers to have an impact.  

good point

It’s a beautiful thing.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 12:51

Other than coaches, fans, members of The Royal Family and major sponsors the Super League collapsed faster than the first version of the XFL.

Kroenke even apologized.

An incident like this reminds me of what MSU prof Eugene Jennings, explaining on how bad products came to fruition, “When a group of people with an idea are in a closed room long enough they create their own reality.”

The owners of the 6 Premier teams along with the Italian and Spanish teams convinced themselves the Super League was a great idea.

No one else did.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 14:15

GRR Spartan wrote:Other than coaches, fans, members of The Royal Family and major sponsors the Super League collapsed faster than the first version of the XFL.

Kroenke even apologized.

An incident like this reminds me of what MSU prof Eugene Jennings, explaining on how bad products came to fruition, “When a group of people with an idea are in a closed room long enough they create their own reality.”

The owners of the 6 Premier teams along with the Italian and Spanish teams convinced themselves the Super League was a great idea.

No one else did.

I don't know if you or others here saw the quotes from Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, but he was living in a delusional world, saying stuff like how 16-24 year olds don't follow the game as much anymore and that they say the games are too long so the leagues should look at shorter games.

Dude, you've priced 16-24 year olds out. They often can't afford modern ticket prices, nor the various TV/streaming packages needed to watch games. As for their attention span, they reportedly were basing that on research about video games.

Most of the clubs have offered completely hollow, insincere, bullshit apologies. They can stuff their sorries in a sack.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

MattyFresh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 14:41

the spurs pretty much said we couldn't deny the opportunity if it was going to happen. which i'm fine with. it would be stupid not to join if it was going to happen - going to collectively take the big clubs to avoid it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 14:42

and the spurs are down to southampton. fucking hell
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 18:42

So happy this super league shit is flushing itself down the toilet. Aren't the clubs and players complaining about too many games already?
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 21 Apr 2021 - 19:09

MattyFresh wrote:So happy this super league shit is flushing itself down the toilet. Aren't the clubs and players complaining about too many games already?

it would have replaced the champions league so probably nothing additional
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Fri 23 Apr 2021 - 18:03

Suck it arsenal
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 23 Apr 2021 - 18:19

aualum06 wrote:Suck it arsenal

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 13 3434560931 $$$
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 10:25

This is so fucking stupid
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 10:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This is so fucking stupid

Is it another peacock day. That's fucking stupid
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 20:40

aualum06 wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This is so fucking stupid

Peacock is easy to get
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 20:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Peacock is easy to get

That isn't the issue
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 25 Apr 2021 - 10:27

COME ON YOU SPURS
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 2 May 2021 - 11:56

Huge scenes in Manchester. Fans protesting on the pitch, in the stands, and in the luxury boxes. Game against Liverpool likely delayed, may get postponed. Teams still at hotels and fans blocking the buses (at least from United's team hotel) from leaving.

This is how you protest an ownership that has raped the club if £1.5 Billion. Hopefully it stays peaceful, though.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 2 May 2021 - 12:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:Huge scenes in Manchester.  Fans protesting on the pitch, in the stands, and in the luxury boxes.  Game against Liverpool likely delayed, may get postponed.  Teams still at hotels and fans blocking the buses (at least from United's team hotel) from leaving.

This is how you protest an ownership that has raped the club if £1.5 Billion.  Hopefully it stays peaceful, though.

I hear those holigans can get rough.

Last edited by DWags on Sun 2 May 2021 - 12:32; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 2 May 2021 - 12:23

What do you mean raped the club of 1.5b
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 2 May 2021 - 13:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What do you mean raped the club of 1.5b

The Glazers bought the club with loans in 2005.  They then put the debt of those loans on the club (the club was 100% debt free prior to their takeover, only spending what they earned).  They have never put one penny of their money into the club, either at the time of purchase or since.  Between their own dividend payments and and the debt/interest payments, it has cost the club over £1.5 Billion.  That's actual money that the club earned and was taken out of the club due to their ownership.  And they still have the club nearly £500m in debt despite all that, so effectively it is more like £2 billion that they have the cost the club.  

There have been some reports of throwing bottles at police and I don't support the violence, though I think those are relatively minor incidents that I've heard about so far.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 2 May 2021 - 14:25

Probably not the best weekend for all of my Liverpool sources to be banning social media for some totally unrelated protest.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 2 May 2021 - 14:45

Well, I have to admit, soccer just got a lot more interesting
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun 2 May 2021 - 16:33

Like any protest, some protestors will, unfortunately, go a little too far...but then so will some police.  The media should report this video below as much as they were quick to show one cop that got a cut on his face.

Edit: tweet was taken down. Not sure why. Showed 2 cops on a protestor on the ground while a third punched him a few times. Then two others forced the ones filming it to leave.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 3 May 2021 - 0:52

really hope the spurs go into the last game against leicester city with a chance at the top 4/to take them out of it. could be fun.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Mon 3 May 2021 - 7:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:really hope the spurs go into the last game against leicester city with a chance at the top 4/to take them out of it. could be fun.

The first bale goal was sick yesterday
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 7 May 2021 - 7:57

Leave it to Arsenal to screw up what could have been all-English finals in both the Champions League and Europa League. Not that I wanted City and Chelsea there either, but any excuse to mock Arsenal.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 7 May 2021 - 7:59

MiamiSpartan wrote:Leave it to Arsenal to screw up what could have been all-English finals in both the Champions League and Europa League. Not that I wanted City and Chelsea there either, but any excuse to mock Arsenal.

That was some easy money with villareal being the underdog.
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next