Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

+19
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
Motown Spartan
Rocinante
Heathens '87
NigelUno
MattyFresh
DWags
Nordic
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
23 posters

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by DWags 06/03/22, 10:33 am

Wow. Mexico. Insane riots after soccer matches.

Mexico suspends Sunday soccer. Videos are crazy
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by MiamiSpartan 06/03/22, 10:43 am

DWags wrote:Wow. Mexico. Insane riots after soccer matches.

Mexico suspends Sunday soccer. Videos are crazy

Awful scenes.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 07/03/22, 08:30 am

Wasn't sure were to put this, but holy shit. Massive soccer fan riot in Mexico. Conflicting reports on deaths. Based on the reddit video, it sure looks like there are. Shocked

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/t7qi60/a_football_match_between_queretaro_and_atlas/

[Tw]1500310274070528002[/tw]

Edit: Didn't see dwags post
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 07/03/22, 03:47 pm

3-0 au
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 07/03/22, 04:59 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:3-0 au

Are we regulated yet?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 07/03/22, 07:09 pm

Nordic wrote:Wasn't sure were to put this, but holy shit. Massive soccer fan riot in Mexico. Conflicting reports on deaths. Based on the reddit video, it sure looks like there are. Shocked

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/t7qi60/a_football_match_between_queretaro_and_atlas/

[Tw]1500310274070528002[/tw]

Edit: Didn't see dwags post

I've seen pics and vids of people that were pretty clearly dead. And naked, as some were stripped naked while they were being viciously beaten and kicked in the head by groups of people. Not to mention those that had chairs, poles, etc., and were savagely beating people.

This isn't hooliganism, it's not people crushed by a crowd. This is public murder. Mexico should not be playing any games in front of fans in Mexiconfor quite sometime (club or national team).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 10/03/22, 09:33 pm

Those that follow the English Premier League closely probably saw this, but the UK government sanctioned Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich today. He is one of the wealthiest Russian oligarchs, and one of the 5-10 closest with Putin.

He announced a few days ago that he was putting the club up for sale. Now the sanctions mean he can't sell, without a special dispensation that would mean that he receives no money from the sale.

Chelsea received a license to operate limited football activities, meaning they can still play games. However:

- They can not sell any merchandise.

- They can not sell any match tickets. Only current season ticket holders can attend games since those were already bought.

- They can not buy players.

- They can not sell players.

- They can not sign players to new contracts (so players whose contracts end this summer can't renew).

- Separately, their shirt sponsor cancelled the deal and asked that they remove the sponsor from the jersey for future games (they left the sponsor on for their game today, but there probably wasn't time to get new jerseys with the players names/numbers so quickly.

Fuck 'em. I hope every player is able to cancel their contract and leave on a free. Chelsea deserve this to wreck them after 20 years of buying success with criminal blood money.

But expect the Premier League to try to work around this and help Chelsea however they can. After all, they are big supporters of dictators that bomb civilians and brutally suppress dissidents.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 10/03/22, 09:37 pm

I’m so confused Miami what is the end game if he can’t sell and they can’t do anything until when?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 10/03/22, 09:38 pm

Fuck em is right
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 10/03/22, 10:48 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’m so confused Miami what is the end game if he can’t sell and they can’t do anything until when?

Bleed them dry of money I assume Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 2599972566

I don't know shit about Chelsea, but it sucks for the players.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/03/22, 06:49 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’m so confused Miami what is the end game if he can’t sell and they can’t do anything until when?

They're pretty much in limbo until the sanctions end or some special dispensation is granted. The club is frozen, not seized, so it isn't like the UK government can sell the club like they sell assets seized in criminal proceedings.  All of his businesses/assets in the UK are frozen, so this isn't just about Chelsea, but they are the most prominent.

I had seen something that it may be able to be sold, and the money would go into an account and just sit there, unable to be touched, until the sanctions are over.  

But if a sale doesn't happen and get closed quickly, whonknows what this will mean for the summer.  That's why I think the PL will try to get something worked out with the government to allow them to buy/sell players, sign new contracts, etc.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 11/03/22, 08:32 am

I have no idea about this shit, but could the primere league force relegation?
Kick them out. Make him take a bath on cash flow.
If they still have to pay the players but they are playing in a lower tier league?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/03/22, 05:10 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I have no idea about this shit, but could the primere league force relegation?
Kick them out. Make him take a bath on cash flow.
If they still have to pay the players but they are playing in a lower tier league?

I don't know if they can directly, but leagues can deduct points. Derby County (in the Championship) got deducted 21 points this season for financial mismanagement by a previous owner, which resulted in them entering administration (similar to bankruptcy, I think). Italy deducted a lot of points from teams involved in a match fixing scandal about a decade ago, causing some of the big boys (Juve was one, IIRC) to be relegated.

But Chelsea haven't broken any league rules, and Roman bears far less direct responsibility for the war than the PL team owners that are directly involved in bombing Yemen and murdering journalists. So I don't think they can deduct points from Chelsea for this.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 11/03/22, 11:26 pm

tottenham @ man u tomorrow. pretty big match for the spurs i reckon, to keep any hope of top 4.

COYS
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 12/03/22, 12:11 am

What time is the game tomorrow otpt (I swear to Christ if you give me mountain time while talking to an est person about a gmt sport I’m going to lose my fucking shit)

Liverpool plays Brighton in like 7 hours so I should probably go to sleep. At this point they’re all huge if you don’t want a sports washing evil team to win yet again. Can’t afford to lose anything
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/03/22, 07:53 am

Rooting for Liverpool Travis how is that not a red card on the goalie?

Tottenham Man U is at 1230est 1030mountain
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 12/03/22, 08:59 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rooting for Liverpool Travis how is that not a red card on the goalie?

Fuck this peacock shit btw
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/03/22, 09:08 am

aualum06 wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rooting for Liverpool Travis how is that not a red card on the goalie?

I was shocked to see that Tottenham Man U match was on peacock. That being said, I don’t really mind it. I just turn on the app and hit the match. Feels like it’s on NBC or USA or whatever.

What’s your beef with it?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 12/03/22, 09:09 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

I was shocked to see that Tottenham Man U match was on peacock. That being said, I don’t really mind it. I just turn on the app and hit the match. Feels like it’s on NBC or USA or whatever.

I don't pay for peacock :-(
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/03/22, 09:11 am

aualum06 wrote:

My parents still pay for xfinity cable and apparently they got peacock free through there and i use their login. Not sure if you have a cable deal like that?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 12/03/22, 09:17 am

aualum06 wrote:

My parents still pay for xfinity cable and apparently they got peacock free through there and i use their login. Not sure if you have a cable deal like that?

No not so lucky
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 12/03/22, 09:23 am

Yeah I got it via having xfinity internet.

That was some bullshit from the goalie but whatever it all worked out nicely.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 12/03/22, 01:20 pm

fucking ronaldo
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 12/03/22, 02:25 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:fucking ronaldo

That guy's not too bad
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 18/03/22, 10:02 am

Champions league draw- 😍
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 20/03/22, 10:59 am

1 step closer to regulation. Let's go
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 24/03/22, 05:42 pm

Italy lost to north Macedonia in the World Cup qualifying playoffs and will not make the World Cup for the second time in a row….

That just makes me sad really. The World Cup and following Italy is what got me into this whole sport in the first place
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 24/03/22, 06:04 pm

USA vs Mexico @ 10:00 pm on Paramount+, Univision and CBSsports.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 24/03/22, 07:49 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:USA vs Mexico @ 10:00 pm on Paramount+, Univision and CBSsports.

Cero a dos, incoming!!!

Actually, though, if we lose it shouldn't be a big deal.  The next game, Panama at home, is the big one.  Win that and we at least get in the playoff.  
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 24/03/22, 07:51 pm

Anyone know if Matty is okay?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 24/03/22, 11:57 pm

That game set soccer fandom in the us back 20 years
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 25/03/22, 12:11 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That game set soccer fandom in the us back 20 years

Meh, I doubt many were watching outside of big soccer fans. 10pm, up against the NCAA, on lower tier networks (except in Spanish).

Two incredible chances that should have been easy goals 9 times out of 10. But I'll take a point, especially with Panama drawing. Fucking Canucks are worthless though.

Big game against Panama next, but without McKennie and Dest (both injured) and Yedlin and Weah (both suspended). Hopefully Reyna can go the full 90.

We can now draw against Panama and get at least the playoff. Win against Panama and we all but qualify outright (barring Costa Rica overcoming a 7 point GD deficit in 2 games).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 25/03/22, 08:37 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That game set soccer fandom in the us back 20 years

Meh, I doubt many were watching outside of big soccer fans. 10pm, up against the NCAA, on lower tier networks (except in Spanish).

Two incredible chances that should have been easy goals 9 times out of 10. But I'll take a point, especially with Panama drawing. Fucking Canucks are worthless though.

Big game against Panama next, but without McKennie and Dest (both injured) and Yedlin and Weah (both suspended). Hopefully Reyna can go the full 90.

We can now draw against Panama and get at least the playoff. Win against Panama and we all but qualify outright (barring Costa Rica overcoming a 7 point GD deficit in 2 games).

I was being a bit facetious. But my eyes were bleeding at the time so I would ask that I be excused
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 25/03/22, 09:32 am

So, why was it such a big deal that Italy lost yesterday? Are they some kind of powerhouse? Was that a David and Goliath type match? ESPN made an awful big deal about it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 25/03/22, 11:39 am

DWags wrote:So, why was it such a big deal that Italy lost yesterday? Are they some kind of powerhouse? Was that a David and Goliath type match? ESPN made an awful big deal about it.

One of the biggest powerhouses dwags. They’ve won the World Cup 4 times, most recently in 06. Only I think Brazil has won more (fact check, I could be wrong on that). They won the Euros last summer.

But, since winning the euros they’ve done too much putzing around in their qualification games and it fucked them.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 25/03/22, 12:01 pm

Fact check- I was mostly right. Brazil have won 5, Italy and Germany 4

Also, yes, David vs Goliath. North Macedonia didn’t even exist when Italy won its 3rd World Cup in 1982
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 25/03/22, 12:40 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:So, why was it such a big deal that Italy lost yesterday? Are they some kind of powerhouse? Was that a David and Goliath type match? ESPN made an awful big deal about it.

One of the biggest powerhouses dwags. They’ve won the World Cup 4 times, most recently in 06. Only I think Brazil has won more (fact check, I could be wrong on that). They won the Euros last summer.

But, since winning the euros they’ve done too much putzing around in their qualification games and it fucked them.

If it wasn't for the fact that they just won the Euros 9 months ago, it wouldn't have been big, but not as big of an upset. As it is, it's basically a 16 seed over a 1.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 27/03/22, 06:47 pm

Big one tonight. Costa Rica currently winning late in their game to draw even on points. Gotta leave it all on the field tonight.

Let's fucking go!!!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 27/03/22, 07:28 pm

3-0!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 27/03/22, 07:37 pm

Goal differential is big
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next