Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official World Cup 2022 Thread

+18
gomersbro
Cameron
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
aualum06
Floyd Robertson
DWags
steveschneider
NigelUno
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
22 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Who is gonna win? (Countries listed have min of +1200 odds or better plus some local favorites

Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 15

Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Official World Cup 2022 Thread

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-16, 22:50

Picked other...as in, "I don't give a shit".
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Official World Cup 2022 Thread

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-16, 23:06

The Pantry wrote:Picked other...as in, "I don't give a shit".

The World Cup is a great chance to learn to appreciate soccer. Just follow the us team, it’s more fun than you think when you actually care who wins. Give it a shot, it beats the hell out of working or whatever else you’ll be doing at 2 pm on Monday (I think that’s the first game?)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-16, 23:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

The World Cup is a great chance to learn to appreciate soccer. Just follow the us team, it’s more fun than you think when you actually care who wins. Give it a shot, it beats the hell out of working or whatever else you’ll be doing at 2 pm on Monday (I think that’s the first game?)

I care, Travis. I care because you care.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-17, 06:37

Don't give a shit who wins? Or don't give a shit about the tournament? If the former, fair enough. If the latter, thanks for such a stirring contribution to the thread.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-18, 06:49

2 days before the World Cup, Qatar has banned beer from the stadiums, after saying all this time that they would allow it in certain areas.

Budweiser is one of the biggest sponsors of the World Cup. Of course, Qatar can just pay Bud whatever they want without even blinking.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-11-18, 10:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:2 days before the World Cup, Qatar has banned beer from the stadiums, after saying all this time that they would allow it in certain areas.

Budweiser is one of the biggest sponsors of the World Cup. Of course, Qatar can just pay Bud whatever they want without even blinking.
So, FIFA fucked with a fundamentalist Muslim nation and it this will not end well. Shocking. I'm surprised no one could have predicted this.

Patiently awaiting a slew England/Ned/German fans try to drink and become rowdy, somehow leading to their execution.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 10:36

Is there some kind of World Cup pick em we could be doing? Can someone google the words “World Cup pick em” for me I’m very busy

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2022-11-18, 10:42; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-18, 10:41

I voted England.

For the Queen!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-18, 12:11

Who's bright idea was it to hold a WC in the fall during the real football season instead of the summer when it would go up against baseball?

I'm going to start a consulting business that can help plan future World Cups. Two ideas I have: sell beer and don't compete with the superior football - American football.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-18, 12:15

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:2 days before the World Cup, Qatar has banned beer from the stadiums, after saying all this time that they would allow it in certain areas.

So, FIFA fucked with a fundamentalist Muslim nation and it this will not end well. Shocking. I'm surprised no one could have predicted this.

Patiently awaiting a slew England/Ned/German fans try to drink and become rowdy, somehow leading to their execution.

It's a shit show on so many levels.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 12:21

Most of the games are played before American sports start due to, you know, being in Qatar. The only exception would be the Saturday or Sunday 2 pm games but the US does not have any of those, I guess maybe intentionally if there is some extent to which they are concerned about ratings in the us.

But, it was fifa, when they chose to put the tournament in a place that is 120 degrees in the summer. There are a lot bigger problems than tv schedules with this change, like players missing out because they are smack in the middle of their regular season and small 2 week injuries happen.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-11-18, 12:28

steveschneider wrote:Who's bright idea was it to hold a WC in the fall during the real football season instead of the summer when it would go up against baseball?

I'm going to start a consulting business that can help plan future World Cups. Two ideas I have: sell beer and don't compete with the superior football - American football.

steve, football is international. american football is not, at least on the same scale.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-18, 20:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Most of the games are played before American sports start due to, you know, being in Qatar. The only exception would be the Saturday or Sunday 2 pm games but the US does not have any of those, I guess maybe intentionally if there is some extent to which they are concerned about ratings in the us.

But, it was fifa, when they chose to put the tournament in a place that is 120 degrees in the summer. There are a lot bigger problems than tv schedules with this change, like players missing out because they are smack in the middle of their regular season and small 2 week injuries happen.

There is US-England at 2pm on Black Friday, which I believe will have college football up against it. But I feel like those Black Friday games usually aren't all that compelling, and US-England will get more interest from casuals than if we were playing Wales or Iran.

But I agree with your point. Most of the games won't really compete with other sports.

More people working from home (Sorry, Penn) and better streaming should help weekday viewership.

The Round of 16 games on Sat, Dec 3 will be up against college CCGs, but the biggest of those are usually late afternoon/evening, so the WC won't have big competition on that Saturday.

The Quarterfinals are on a Friday and Saturday (no WC games on Sunday, the 11th). There are no NFL games on that Saturday, and if any bowl games start as early as Dec 10, few are watching.

The semi-finals are weekdays, and the 3rd place game and Final is at 10am on Sunday the 18th.

And that's more than anyone really cares to read about.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-18, 20:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Don't give a shit who wins? Or don't give a shit about the tournament? If the former, fair enough. If the latter, thanks for such a stirring contribution to the thread.
Only soccer I enjoyed watching was when my kids played in elementary and middle school. Most boring sport on the planet. Even curling and bowling are more entertaining.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-18, 20:51

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Most of the games are played before American sports start due to, you know, being in Qatar. The only exception would be the Saturday or Sunday 2 pm games but the US does not have any of those, I guess maybe intentionally if there is some extent to which they are concerned about ratings in the us.

There is US-England at 2pm on Black Friday, which I believe will have college football up against it. But I feel like those Black Friday games usually aren't all that compelling, and US-England will get more interest from casuals than if we were playing Wales or Iran.

But I agree with your point. Most of the games won't really compete with other sports.

More people working from home (Sorry, Penn) and better streaming should help weekday viewership.

The Round of 16 games on Sat, Dec 3 will be up against college CCGs, but the biggest of those are usually late afternoon/evening, so the WC won't have big competition on that Saturday.

The Quarterfinals are on a Friday and Saturday (no WC games on Sunday, the 11th). There are no NFL games on that Saturday, and if any bowl games start as early as Dec 10, few are watching.

The semi-finals are weekdays, and the 3rd place game and Final is at 10am on Sunday the 18th.

And that's more than anyone really cares to read about.

Yeah I think it’s safe to say that they just don’t really care about what else is on tv in one country at the end of the day.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-18, 21:43

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Only soccer I enjoyed watching was when my kids played in elementary and middle school. Most boring sport on the planet. Even curling and bowling are more entertaining.

Cool. And yet you post in a thread about it. For what purpose?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-19, 00:03

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Only soccer I enjoyed watching was when my kids played in elementary and middle school.  Most boring sport on the planet.  Even curling and bowling are more entertaining.  

Cool.  And yet you post in a thread about it.  For what purpose?  
To piss off you soccer lovers.  pirat

Game sucks.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-19, 00:09

Travis, please lock this thread until you can explain why the first i in the first word in the title isn’t dotted. That i needs to be dotted just like the second one. Please fix it so my brain stops itching.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-19, 00:38

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Game sucks.

You know what I don’t like pantry? Fantasy football. It’s fucking dreadful. Just an awful awful sin on man. You know which thread I don’t post in, or for that matter which of your posts I don’t reply to? The fantasy football ones. It makes you happy, so whatever, enjoy the thing I don’t enjoy. There’s no need for me to antagonize you about that. You don’t like soccer? Okay. I mean, you’re a sports fan and I do think you’re missing out on something and that you should try it. But if you don’t want to, fine. But there’s no need to be weird about other people liking something you don’t like
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-19, 00:39

tGreenWay wrote:Travis, please lock this thread until you can explain why the first i in the first word in the title isn’t dotted. That i needs to be dotted just like the second one. Please fix it so my brain stops itching.

It’s because of your silly devotion to mobile. It doesn’t do that on desktop. Be an adult and use desktop.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-19, 00:45

tGreenWay wrote:Travis, please lock this thread until you can explain why the first i in the first word in the title isn’t dotted. That i needs to be dotted just like the second one. Please fix it so my brain stops itching.

It’s because of your silly devotion to mobile. It doesn’t do that on desktop. Be an adult and use desktop.

damnit Travis just fix the i and shut the fuck up already.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-19, 02:24

tGreenWay wrote:

Don't agree with his thoughts about soccer being a professional sport worth watching, but he's correct about using desktop on your phone.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-19, 04:25

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don't agree with his thoughts about soccer being a professional sport worth watching, but he's correct about using desktop on your phone.

oh you shut the fuck up too
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-19, 08:49

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Game sucks.
This isnt the RCMB circa 2006. I don't think you're pissing anyone off. No one is trying to convince you to care about the World Cup. No one is taking your bait to argue about it. No one cares what your opinion is on the sport. I hope you enjoy not watching it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-19, 08:51

What the actual fuck?
[tw]1593877426244812800?t=gF7VEG0JfE24WjnFlavLYA&s=19[/tw]

If you click the thread, there's some other gems from this weird, whataboutism-laced press conference.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-19, 08:55

Reading that thread… that is a man who is a big dumb idiot. He was giving a position of power, many many bribes, a microphone, and told to defend Qatar… but at the end of the day he is still just a big dumb idiot that can’t use words good
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-19, 10:06

Today I feel pretty.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-19, 10:16

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Reading that thread… that is a man who is a big dumb idiot. He was giving a position of power, many many bribes, a microphone, and told to defend Qatar… but at the end of the day he is still just a big dumb idiot that can’t use words good well

fify
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-19, 10:17

The Pantry wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Reading that thread… that is a man who is a big dumb idiot. He was giving a position of power, many many bribes, a microphone, and told to defend Qatar… but at the end of the day he is still just a big dumb idiot that can’t use words good well

fify

Official World Cup 2022 Thread - Page 2 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5dd7hvsormage31f1e020xrwq4ed0ezb301c6ts41&rid=200
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-11-19, 10:21

Wow. That thread is wild. I get the feeling Gianni may soon announce his immediate retirement in order to spend more time with his family.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-19, 12:06

tGreenWay wrote:Wow. That thread is wild. I get the feeling Gianni may soon announce his immediate retirement in order to spend more time with his family.

Nah, don't underestimate just how sleazy and corrupt FIFA is.   His predecessor, Sepp Blatter, took the bribes to give Qatar the World Cup, and to give Russia the 2018 one.  He once compared players under contracts worth millions to slavery, suggested that women should wear tight outfits to make it more appealing to watch, and grabbed American player Hope Solo's ass as they were about to walk out on stage st an awards ceremony.  

He was insulated from the international criminal investigations into FIFA corruption, so he skated on that, but it did cause him to lose some support.  He only resigned when it looked like he might not win re-election.  Infantino is practically an angel by FIFA standards.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-11-19, 18:24

tGreenWay wrote:Today I feel pretty.

You are always pretty tGreenway
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-11-20, 16:08

Netherlands +1200 Champs
Netherlands +250 Qtr Final
Ned -180 vs. Senegal
USA to win/Pulisic to score +750
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-21, 06:31

IT'S GAMEDAY BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, AvgMSUJoe and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-21, 07:55

I hope England wins 23-0.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-21, 08:51

It’s really too bad that we have to play wales first. I’d rather that be the last game as it really could just come down to what the us does today
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-21, 08:59

NigelUno wrote:I hope England wins 23-0.

https://twitter.com/georgeamills/status/1594613800384208896?s=21&t=L8KM2cU9EyUrd-yoCOQ15Q
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-21, 09:11

Meh. Two yellow cards inside of the first 3 games (or is it until the semi finals? Not positive). equals a game suspension. Two total, not two in one game. So the captain could wear that armband for 1 game, hope they don’t get any yellow cards in the run of play for several games… but they couldn’t wear it 2 games or they won’t play for the third.

The bad guy is fifa, not the players backing down. That tweet loses sight of that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-21, 09:16

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Meh. Two yellow cards inside of the first 3 games (or is it until the semi finals? Not positive). equals a game suspension. Two total, not two in one game. So the captain could wear that armband for 1 game, hope they don’t get any yellow cards in the run of play for several games… but they couldn’t wear it 2 games or they won’t play for the third.

The bad guy is fifa, not the players backing down. That tweet loses sight of that.
It’s fair to call out their lack of courage. Three Lions my ass. More like three donkeys.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-21, 09:19

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Meh. Two yellow cards inside of the first 3 games (or is it until the semi finals? Not positive). equals a game suspension. Two total, not two in one game. So the captain could wear that armband for 1 game, hope they don’t get any yellow cards in the run of play for several games… but they couldn’t wear it 2 games or they won’t play for the third.

It’s fair to call out their lack of courage. Three Lions my ass. More like three donkeys.

Hard disagree. If fifa says they are going to suspend the player for wearing it then what are they to do? Because that’s basically what fifa has done.

Again, fifa is the bad guy making bad decisions here. Don’t let them distract you away from that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next