Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep

+21
Heinrich
TrueGreenSpartan
tTito
xwing
Pervis Muldoon
WCS
MiamiSpartan
Rodeo Burger
JEK
Stoops21
GRR Spartan
Giant Moose
tGreenWay
Bizarro Fletch
Rocinante
DWags
duffy munn
NigelUno
InTenSity
Turtleneck
tanfan!
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep Empty Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 07:45

I won't link it because we all know how much we hate that Rag. Let's just say this, Tom said he was a lifer at MSU. Now he's back to his old "I never say never crap again." You don't here any rumors coming out of Duke or North Carolina or Kansas. Nope, but we here it about Izzo---AGAIN. Tired of it Tom. Make up your fucking mind. Your bullshit answers are going to impact recruiting. We all know you are disappointed you didn't get to another Final Four and that it's now going to take longer to get back there unless a miracle happens. I can see why you might be willing to listen again as you have gotten stomped on the recruiting trail, but developing the players is the route you are going to have to go for a few years. Either accept it and stay at MSU or leave for the NBA. Stop the ambiguous answers as that will only hurt the program. The whole, if I were going, I wouldn't be recruiting is bullshit, Tom. Make it clear. Rant over.  Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep 1550444538 
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep Empty Re: Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep

Post by Turtleneck 2014-05-05, 08:00

I'm not worried.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep Empty Re: Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 08:10

He's already said he is returning next year. It was some type of interview and he said he wasn't going to be cornered into saying he was never going to the NBA. No one wants Roy boy in the NBA, he's somewhere in his mid 60's. Coach K is a living mummy, no one is sure of his age, but probably too old to start in the NBA. I don't read enough Kansas newspapers to know if Self has interest in going, but I talked to people in KC, they seem to believe the seat is starting to get warm for him.

I'd recommend, since neither of us live in MI, to not subject yourself to reading articles from any of the Detroit papers. They have other agenda's to push.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 08:22

"Coach K’s 2014 salary was listed at $9,682,032, an increase of more than $2 million from the previous year.

Krzyzewski’s current salary is $2.7 million more than Alabama Football Coach Nick Saban, the next highest paid college coach. Coach K makes almost $4 million more than the next highest paid college basketball coach, Rick Pitino of Louisville.

Some speculate Duke is dishing out the cash to keep Coach K from leaving for the NBA.

He discussed the Lakers job a few years ago but turned down a reported five year $40 million deal."

http://myfox8.com/2014/04/06/coach-k-tops-list-of-top-paid-college-basketball-coaches/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 08:25

I didn't realize Coach K was paid that much. I wonder if he is going to pull a Paterno and coach way past when he should have retired and help bring down the program he built.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-05-05, 08:37

Other schools have used Izzo to the NBA against MSU in recruiting for 14 years. This is not new. Izzo is also on record as saying he has been approached many times that have not made news. The guy is just being honest when he says he will listen. Why shouldn't he ?

The outrage from the OP is funny. Tom Izzo doesn't owe him or MSU a god damn thing. If he chooses to leave someday for the league I say good for him.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 08:41

duffy munn wrote:Other schools have used Izzo to the  NBA against MSU in recruiting for 14 years. This is not new. Izzo is also on record as saying he has been approached many times that have not made news. The guy is just being honest when he says he will listen. Why shouldn't he ?

Did Tom say in an interview, that other schools have used him leaving, like you said, and some of those schools are now on their 3rd coach in that time frame? Why would Tom want to give up a bargaining chip when negotiating salary?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-05-05, 08:47

Not worried. He'll retire a Spartan. We'll all know when his last game at MSU is, we'll all be watching it. Tickets to it will cost 1000's. He'll walk out on the court, kiss the S and we'll all be old men crying when he does it.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 09:01

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in Tanfan. He's starting to recycle old rants/threads/made up stories like gHost.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-05, 09:55

InTenSity wrote:Coach K is a living mummy, no one is sure of his age, but probably too old to start in the NBA.

Are you daft? The NBA has wanted him for years. Especially after he did so well coaching the pros on the team USA squad.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-05, 09:57

Eh. You could make the case the NBA talk is good for recruiting. NBA connections is all these kids care about these days. If the association wants him, recruits will assume his style of coaching must be good prep for them.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 10:04

Rocinante wrote:

Are you daft?  The NBA has wanted him for years.  Especially after he did so well coaching the pros on the team USA squad.
I could coach the US team to gold medals. Why does everything think that taking the best of the best out of the NBA is a struggle to win gold? The HC of that team is nothing more than a figurehead. What a crock of shit. He's currently 67, he coached the US team when he was 65. The NBA is now pursuing Kevin Ollie, after 2 great years at Uconn, but he might have caught lightning in a bottle with Shabazz.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 10:19

InTenSity wrote:
I could coach the US team to gold medals. Why does everything think that taking the best of the best out of the NBA is a struggle to win gold? The HC of that team is nothing more than a figurehead. What a crock of shit. He's currently 67, he coached the US team when he was 65. The NBA is now pursuing Kevin Ollie, after 2 great years at Uconn, but he might have caught lightning in a bottle with Shabazz.

Well said. It's nice not reading any of duffy's jabs unless they are quoted.  Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep 3493939353
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 10:23

duffy munn wrote:Other schools have used Izzo to the  NBA against MSU in recruiting for 14 years. This is not new. Izzo is also on record as saying he has been approached many times that have not made news. The guy is just being honest when he says he will listen. Why shouldn't he ?

The outrage from the OP is funny. Tom Izzo doesn't owe him or MSU a god damn thing. If he chooses to leave someday for the league I say good for him.

Quoted.

Just because.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 10:40

NigelUno wrote:"Coach K’s 2014 salary was listed at $9,682,032, an increase of more than $2 million from the previous year.

Krzyzewski’s current salary is $2.7 million more than Alabama Football Coach Nick Saban, the next highest paid college coach. Coach K makes almost $4 million more than the next highest paid college basketball coach, Rick Pitino of Louisville.

Some speculate Duke is dishing out the cash to keep Coach K from leaving for the NBA.

He discussed the Lakers job a few years ago but turned down a reported five year $40 million deal."

http://myfox8.com/2014/04/06/coach-k-tops-list-of-top-paid-college-basketball-coaches/

Holy crap. I had no idea he was paid that much. No wonder there are no rumors.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 10:43

NigelUno wrote:

Quoted.

Just because.

I was surprised fletch didn't get a jab in like my obsessed stalker. His answer was actually pretty rational. Stupid but rational. Duffy's was typical and angry as I would expect. He's a very unhappy fellow. Have a nice day.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 10:45

Tanfan! wrote:

Holy crap. I had no idea he was paid that much. No wonder there are no rumors.

According to USA Today, Coach K makes 5 times what Roy Williams makes.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaab/coach/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-05-05, 10:49

I hope you take an aspirin a day, Tanner, to lessen the damage caused by the coming embolism.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 10:51

tGreenWay wrote:I hope you take an aspirin a day, Tanner, to lessen the damage caused by the coming embolism.  

I do. A baby aspirin. I also rollerblade three to four times a week and engage in buggery with sheep.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-05-05, 11:14

Tanfan! wrote:

Well said. It's nice not reading any of duffy's jabs unless they are quoted.  Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep 3493939353

Taking shots from behind the foe button. Ernie-like.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-05-05, 11:16

Yeah, I think Tanfan ignoring a user is cowardly. Seriously, Tanfan, WTF? I expect more from you.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2014-05-05, 11:20

Tanfan! wrote:

I do. A baby aspirin. I also rollerblade three to four times a week and engage in buggery with sheep.

What has this to do with your original post?

Izzo is a stand up guy to date and don't think he'd be recruiting players without a 4 year commitment.

Calipari is out with his recent hip replacement and Krzyzewski had to take a season off due to chronic back issues.

Kevin Ollie and Fred Hoiberg are more likely candidates.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 11:25

Giant Moose wrote:Yeah, I think Tanfan ignoring a user is cowardly. Seriously, Tanfan, WTF? I expect more from you.

You can't ignore the bully. You must confront the bully.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-05, 15:06

Rocinante wrote:

Are you daft?  The NBA has wanted him for years.  Especially after he did so well coaching the pros on the team USA squad.

InTenSity wrote:

It's not about winning the Gold. Of course they won the gold. It's about the fact that the players, a bunch of prima donnas liked him and responded to him. It's not easy to get the respect of the pros.

Tanfan! wrote:

I am not duffy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2014-05-05, 15:11

During izzos I am a lifer speech didn't he say he would no longer listen to the nba and that it would be the last time he would listen? Sick of hearing people saying he doesn't owe us anything. If he wanted to leave he should have a couple years ago. If you say you're a lifer then tell the NBA to **** off. Sorry but this school deserves a coach who will stay loyal and it would be wrong for Tom to end his career in the NBA
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-05, 15:12

I always figured Izzo took the "never say never" approach to maximize his contracts. It's what any smart business person would do.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 15:20

Stoops21 wrote:During izzos I am a lifer speech didn't he say he would no longer listen to the nba and that it would be the last time he would listen? Sick of hearing people saying he doesn't owe us anything. If he wanted to leave he should have a couple years ago. If you say you're a lifer then tell the NBA to **** off. Sorry but this school deserves a coach who will stay loyal and it would be wrong for Tom to end his career in the NBA
Most likely he is a lifer, but what happens if over the next 2 years he misses the NCAA's and takes a 1st or 2nd round loss in the NIT? What if there is a string of bad luck, and the fans turn on him. Fans are fickle, and I could see things even turning on Izzo (people rarely appreciate how good they have it until its gone), but a GM in the NBA is still interested in having him coach. What if MSU feels that he doesn't have any bargaining chips left because they know he isn't going to the NBA, so instead of giving him a raise that he might deserve, they don't act. There are probably a lot of reasons to not give black and white answers. This school and fanbase don't deserve a loyal coach, for the time being though, we are lucky to have not one, but two. 

I doubt the one and done kids give a shit if Tom is around in 4 years, so I don't think that has impacted recruiting that much.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-05-05, 15:29

Rocinante wrote:

Yes, but since he turned down the huge offer from the Lakers, there haven't been many rumblings about Coach K to the NBA. If he wanted to go, he'd have taken the Lakers job. At the time the salary offer was made, it turned heads for what they were willing to pay for a college coach. Not to mention that the Lakers are a destination for free agents. Even a total homer that owned another team knows that they don't have the draw that the Lakers job does (except perhaps Boston).
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-05-05, 16:33

JEK wrote:I always figured Izzo took the "never say never" approach to maximize his contracts. It's what any smart business person would do.
He's also got a lot of friends with NBA franchises, and he has/will have kids who want to make it to the NBA. I think he'd rather have someone call him and then tell them directly that he's not interested, maybe even give them the chance to say their spiel. Even saying No, it builds that relationship with that NBA owner or GM. And talking to someone direct is so much more how Izzo goes about everything, as opposed to using the media as his mouth piece.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-05, 16:44

MiamiSpartan wrote:
He's also got a lot of friends with NBA franchises, and he has/will have kids who want to make it to the NBA.  I think he'd rather have someone call him and then tell them directly that he's not interested, maybe even give them the chance to say their spiel.  Even saying No, it builds that relationship with that NBA owner or GM.  And talking to someone direct is so much more how Izzo goes about everything, as opposed to using the media as his mouth piece.  

Well said. Never hurts to expand your network and build relationships. This applies to college coaches as well.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 16:52

Stoops21 wrote:During izzos I am a lifer speech didn't he say he would no longer listen to the nba and that it would be the last time he would listen? Sick of hearing people saying he doesn't owe us anything. If he wanted to leave he should have a couple years ago. If you say you're a lifer then tell the NBA to **** off. Sorry but this school deserves a coach who will stay loyal and it would be wrong for Tom to end his career in the NBA

Stoops, you have to understand where that comment came from. It came from a very unhappy man, who is basically retired and has nothing going on in his life. He obsesses over me and stalks me daily. The comment was a manifestation of his anger that he likes to direct toward me. The whole Izzo doesn't owe you anything was just your typical troll jab I get from Duffy on a daily basis. He especially likes to attack me personally on the RCMB because he knows I can't respond. I just ignore the troll because that's what he is. White boy hatcher called him a troll and it fits him to a T. But I digress. I do agree with you. Izzo is being two faced when he says he's a lifer then reneges on that comment when things don't go his way in recruiting and his team fails to make another final four. The article just goes to show you that he shouldn't make a stand like that in a press conference after he learns Lebron won't even talk to him.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 16:53

JEK wrote:I always figured Izzo took the "never say never" approach to maximize his contracts. It's what any smart business person would do.

Really? How did that approach work for George Perles? His recruiting fell way off and eventually he was fired for all the posturing he did with the NFL after he made the Rose Bowl.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 16:56

Rocinante wrote:

It's not about winning the Gold.  Of course they won the gold.  It's about the fact that the players, a bunch of prima donnas liked him and responded to him.  It's not easy to get the respect of the pros.

I am not duffy.

I was talking to Intensity
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 16:57

Tanfan! wrote:

Really? How did that approach work for George Perles? His recruiting fell way off and eventually he was fired for all the posturing he did with the NFL after he made the Rose Bowl.  

I think it got him a few raises...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-05-05, 17:00

NigelUno wrote:

I think it got him a few raises...

Oh it did and Izzo doesn't need to resort to George Perles crap to get a raise from Hollis. He doesn't need to hold the university hostage. He got everything he wanted but by then the program fell back into mediocrity because other coaches used that against George. Looks like other coaches might be using the NBA stuff against Izzo and it seems to be working.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-05, 17:01

Tanfan! wrote:

I think that the top recruits don't believe they will be in school for more than 1 year. Most of them are probably the top athlete at their school, and possibly in the region they are playing in. They have pretty big ego's and they are teenagers. Bball recruiting is different than Fball recruiting, so I just don't see how it affects it that much. A great BBall recruit is only around for 1 or 2 years max, Fball needs longer time to develop. Doesn't the NFL also require 3 years removed from HSchool? Bball is only 1 year. I just can't see how it effects the recruiting, except for the kids who are projects and they might be ecstatic just to get a scholarship offer from a D1 school like MSU.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-05-05, 17:01

Tanfan! wrote:I won't link it because we all know how much we hate that Rag. Let's just say this, Tom said he was a lifer at MSU. Now he's back to his old "I never say never crap again."  You don't here any rumors coming out of Duke or North Carolina or Kansas. Nope, but we here it about Izzo---AGAIN. Tired of it Tom. Make up your fucking mind.  Your bullshit answers are going to impact recruiting. We all know you are disappointed you didn't get to another Final Four and that it's now going to take longer to get back there unless a miracle happens. I can see why you might be willing to listen again as you have gotten stomped on the recruiting trail, but developing the players is the route you are going to have to go for a few years.  Either accept it and stay at MSU or leave for the NBA. Stop the ambiguous answers as that will only hurt the program. The whole, if I were going, I wouldn't be recruiting is bullshit, Tom.  Make it clear.  Rant over.  Oh great another article about Izzo might go to the NBA in the Freep 1550444538 

I agree with the spirit of your post, but to me, he's earned the benefit of the doubt. Whatever he wants to do, he can do.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WCS 2014-05-05, 17:06

I'm a Spartan for life and I haven't worked for MSU since my last year as an undergrad.
WCS
WCS
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-05, 17:06

Tanfan! wrote:

I don't think we're losing recruits over the occasional NBA rumor. It's not like this stuff is unique to Izzo. By that logic nobody would ever play for Saban, and he seems to do just fine in recruiting.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-05, 17:13

Tanfan! wrote:

Oh it did and Izzo doesn't need to resort to George Perles crap to get a raise from Hollis. He doesn't need to hold the university hostage.  He got everything he wanted but by then the program fell back into mediocrity because other coaches used that against George. Looks like other coaches might be using the NBA stuff against Izzo and it seems to be working.

Which coaches are using it against Izzo? And how is it working?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next