Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

+27
Nordic
CORNER BLITZ
Giant Moose
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
DWags
Vlad
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
MiamiSpartan
SpartyScotty
Rocinante
Screw tRCMB
tanfan!
steveschneider
Wally Fairway
WhiteGreenShow
Other Teams Pursuing That
Heat Miser
HT
Stoops21
Watch Out Pylon!
duffy munn
Triple Sparty
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 3 Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Vlad Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 9:34

HT wrote:We've been playing sloppy, but we've also been playing very vanilla. Dantonio's following the example set by his mentor Jim Tressel in handling the non-conference. It's going to be very vanilla and I don't seriously expect things to get less bland until we play Michigan. Then, the playbook will open up a bit.

Also, the team is going to have some degree of trouble focusing because on paper, they should win easily. We're also going to look sloppy because every team is giving us their best shot because we're the #2 team in the country. It's a very precarious spot.

We're going to look sloppy again on Saturday, and I'll be fine as long as we win and show some improvement. Most importantly, we need to stay healthy. That's my only major issue right now, since despite how we've looked so far, Dantonio teams typically get better as the season rolls on.

Only panic right now if we sustain another major injury. Until then, just enjoy the season and hope that we don't get burned by sloppy play.  

You could be right about MD holding back for now, since the schedule is pretty much backloaded (minus Oregon).  Hope so.

And agree on injuries.  We really need to get a couple of guys back, and hope like hell that other starters don't go out.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 3 Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Guest Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 9:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:if I were to hear someone discussing how difficult MSU's schedule is and refers to playing 4 bowl teams from last year - and 3 of those bowl teams are Air Force, Western Michigan and Central Michigan - it reminds me of one thing: there are entirely too many bowls.
Bob?   Please, no more posts like this.   You'll ruin your reputation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 10:01

HT wrote:We've been playing sloppy, but we've also been playing very vanilla. Dantonio's following the example set by his mentor Jim Tressel in handling the non-conference. It's going to be very vanilla and I don't seriously expect things to get less bland until we play Michigan. Then, the playbook will open up a bit.

Also, the team is going to have some degree of trouble focusing because on paper, they should win easily. We're also going to look sloppy because every team is giving us their best shot because we're the #2 team in the country. It's a very precarious spot.

We're going to look sloppy again on Saturday, and I'll be fine as long as we win and show some improvement. Most importantly, we need to stay healthy. That's my only major issue right now, since despite how we've looked so far, Dantonio teams typically get better as the season rolls on.

Only panic right now if we sustain another major injury. Until then, just enjoy the season and hope that we don't get burned by sloppy play.

Or you could wait to panic after MSU loses an actual game.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 10:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:if I were to hear someone discussing how difficult MSU's schedule is and refers to playing 4 bowl teams from last year - and 3 of those bowl teams are Air Force, Western Michigan and Central Michigan - it reminds me of one thing: there are entirely too many bowls.

Decent point, Bob. +1
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteGreenShow Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 10:34

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Decent point, Bob. +1

I am impressed, OTPT's sister is showing logic and reasoning that OTPT never did. Addition by subtraction I guess. RIP OTPT, you left your board presence in good hands.
WhiteGreenShow
WhiteGreenShow
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 21:22

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Four weeks into the season, with the pre-season favorites still holding serve, you can only go with the default list.  So if the playoffs started tomorrow, I'd say OSU, MSU, TCU and Bama. Why not?

Have they earned it? Not necessarily, but we don't know any better yet.

I guess I'm not following your thinking. You say MSU doesn't look like a playoff team, but you would pick them to be in the playoffs?

I would pick you to bash your head in with a crow bar.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 22:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:- it reminds me of one thing: there are entirely too many bowls.

you can just go and shut your whore mouth!

one of the saddest days of the year is when college football ends
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 22:47

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Decent point, Bob. +1

Show us your tits.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 29 Sep 2015 - 23:50

College football analysis sucks including our own beat off writers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 6:01

Vlad wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I guess I'm not following your thinking.  You say MSU doesn't look like a playoff team, but you would pick them to be in the playoffs

Not enough data available yet.  We're barely entering conference play.  So yeah, if the playoffs start tomorrow, go with the preseason favorites.

We get it Vlad, you don't want to choose because you remember those old rcmb threads that were mercilessly bumped regarding you and MSU sports.

This isn't the rcmb. Just state how you feel and why. Then move on.

MSU in my opinion is not a playoff team unless or untill we improve our defensive backfield play. As of right now, I definitely see a loss to osu and that will knock us out of the playoffs. The only way the big ten gets two teams into the playoffs is if we beat osu. Then maybe. As of now, I don't see us winning out.

So, as of today we might be #2, but it's going to be tough in Columbus. I'm sure when we do lose you'll have at least three threads started almost immediately. Congrats on that. P
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 7:24

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Not enough data available yet.  We're barely entering conference play.  So yeah, if the playoffs start tomorrow, go with the preseason favorites.

We get it Vlad, you don't want to choose because you remember those old rcmb threads that were mercilessly bumped regarding you and MSU sports.

MSU in my opinion is not a playoff team unless or untill we improve our defensive backfield play. As of right now, I definitely see a loss to osu and that will knock us out of the playoffs. The only way the big ten gets two teams into the playoffs is if we beat osu. Then maybe. As of now, I don't see us winning out.

So, as of today we might be #2, but it's going to be tough in Columbus. I'm sure when we do lose you'll have at least three threads started almost immediately. Congrats on that. P

I think it goes deeper than that. It's a talent issue. the defensive backfield lacks the talent necessary to win out. Think 2009 when the Defense couldn't stop anyone. Any team with a decent qb and decent o line will pick this defense apart. The offense isn't all that good either. So, a team with a good defense like Michigan could beat this team. We will know more on saturday if the change in the lineup actually gets the defense off the field on third down. I will be there cheering them on.

I was at a dinner party last night and the guy next to me said your team in number 2 "for now." Ah, the naysayers are all coming out because they can see our team is flawed in so many ways. Bummer
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 7:31

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

THE GAME.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 9:09

Tanfan! wrote:
DWags wrote:

This isn't the rcmb.  Just state how you feel and why. Then move on.

MSU in my opinion is not a playoff team unless or untill we improve our defensive backfield play.  As of right now, I definitely see a loss to osu and that will knock us out of the playoffs. The only way the big ten gets two teams into the playoffs is if we beat osu.  Then maybe. As of now, I don't see us winning out.  

So, as of today we might be #2, but it's going to be tough in Columbus. I'm sure when we do lose you'll have at least three threads started almost immediately.  Congrats on that. P

I think it goes deeper than that.  It's a talent issue.  the defensive backfield lacks the talent necessary to win out.  Think 2009 when the Defense couldn't stop anyone.  Any team with a decent qb and decent o line will pick this defense apart.  The offense isn't all that good either. So, a team with a good defense like Michigan could beat this team.  We will know more on saturday if the change in the lineup actually gets the defense off the field on third down.  I will be there cheering them on.

I was at a dinner party last night and the guy next to me said your team in number 2 "for now."  Ah, the naysayers are all coming out because they can see our team is flawed in so many ways.  Bummer
Yeah it SUCKS, there's a possibility we could lose 1-3 games.  What a fucking disaster that would be.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 9:10

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

MSU in my opinion is not a playoff team unless or untill we improve our defensive backfield play.  As of right now, I definitely see a loss to osu and that will knock us out of the playoffs. The only way the big ten gets two teams into the playoffs is if we beat osu.  Then maybe. As of now, I don't see us winning out.  

So, as of today we might be #2, but it's going to be tough in Columbus. I'm sure when we do lose you'll have at least three threads started almost immediately.  Congrats on that. P

You're just bitter cuz I got Vladidated by our own beat writers!  Razz

Hey, how's Bobby Williams doin' anyways??  Tell him I said hello, and that he was a terrible head coach.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 9:19

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hey, how's Bobby Williams doin' anyways??  Tell him I said hello, and that he was a terrible head coach.

Bobby's at Alabama. Thought you would know that since you picked Bama as a Top 4 team (even though they lost).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 9:40

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Except I said this isn't a number two team immediately after the Oregon game. It's on the blue board. No big deal. It was just a valid observation and discussion. You're able to do that withou being a dick to your home fan base. But I get there are people who enjoy doing that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:03

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Except I said this isn't a number two team immediately after the Oregon game. It's on the blue board. No big deal. It was just a valid observation and discussion. You're able to do that withou being a dick to your home fan base. But I get there are people who enjoy doing that.

Keep winning. That's all we can do.

Bama/UGA and ND/Clemson will separate some teams this weekend.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:12

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Keep winning. That's all we can do.

Bama/UGA and ND/Clemson will separate some teams this weekend.

It's so early. Like you say, just win. It would be great if we all get the feeling every week of the season that this team just doesn't seem to be a top two team but god damn they just keep winning. At least we only have ourselves to blame if we blow this. Not like 2011 where rules kept us out of the rosebowl in spite of beating Wisconsin.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:17

I think the officiating will determine our future.

You heard it here first.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think the officiating will determine our future.

You heard it here first.

Why join these discussions? You provide no substance at all. You repeat yourself and just seem to want to needle real Spartan fans. Why? What joy is derived from such behavior? Did your parents not pay enough attention to you growing up? Do you behave similarly in real life?
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Screw tRCMB Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:35

SpartyScotty wrote:

You heard it here first.

Why join these discussions? You provide no substance at all. You repeat yourself and just seem to want to needle real Spartan fans. Why? What joy is derived from such behavior? Did your parents not pay enough attention to you growing up? Do you behave similarly in real life?
Well, at least he's not worried.
Screw tRCMB
Screw tRCMB
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 10:47

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

..... But I get there are people who enjoy doing that.  

You say you get it, but I don't think you get it. In the end, it's just about saying what's on your mind. Not much more than that.  To the extent the SB's feel "needled", that's sort of collateral damage, and yes, there is a small bit of enjoyment to be gained from it, but that's not the primary focus.

They're a fragile bunch, those SBers.

Anyway, glad we agree that this doesn't look anything like a #2 team right now.  But we are where we are, and we go forward from here!
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 11:18

SpartyScotty wrote:

You heard it here first.

Screw tRCMB wrote:
SpartyScotty wrote:

Well, at least he's not worried.

New guys bringin' it.

I like.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 11:21

SpartyScotty wrote:

You heard it here first.

Bob actually goes to the games and is knowledgeable about college sports. You just have to pay close attention to the 1 post out of 1,000 where he lets that slip.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 11:54

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

You say you get it, but I don't think you get it. In the end, it's just about saying what's on your mind. Not much more than that.  

No Vlad, everyone on this board knows when you "choose to say what's on your mind". More than that, you've said you like to rub it in to people who are upset about losses.  I will never understand that type of personality,(especially because I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you aren't the type that would grind someone to their face) but what are we going to do?  You are who you are.  Saying this team doesn't seem like a number two team in the country isn't far fetched.   We have work to do. We have the proper mechanism in place to work on it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 12:22

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

You say you get it, but I don't think you get it. In the end, it's just about saying what's on your mind. Not much more than that.  

No Vlad, everyone on this board knows when you "choose to say what's on your mind". More than that, you've said you like to rub it in to people who are upset about losses.  I will never understand that type of personality,(especially because I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you aren't the type that would grind someone to their face) but what are we going to do?  You are who you are.  Saying this team doesn't seem like a number two team in the country isn't far fetched.   We have work to do. We have the proper mechanism in place to work on it.

Only thing I'll slightly disagree with is the "doesn't seem like a number two team in the country" point. Its not like Coach D himself woke up one morning and said "we are the #2 team in tht country!" There are processes in place. Independent voters put them there. If you have an issue with the ranking take it up with the voters. All the coaches and team has done is gone out and won 4 football games. Against the teams that they are scheduled to play where they are scheduled to play them. And they will go out and play Purdue this week because that is what the schedule says. That's all they control, is to show up and play where scheduled, and do their damnedest to win. The rest is up to the voters in both polls.

This Vlad idiot doesn't like our #2 ranking. He can't blame this team or this coaching staff for that.
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 13:42

Tanfan! wrote:
DWags wrote:

I think it goes deeper than that. It's a talent issue. the defensive backfield lacks the talent necessary to win out. Think 2009 when the Defense couldn't stop anyone. Any team with a decent qb and decent o line will pick this defense apart. The offense isn't all that good either. So, a team with a good defense like Michigan could beat this team. We will know more on saturday if the change in the lineup actually gets the defense off the field on third down. I will be there cheering them on.

I was at a dinner party last night and the guy next to me said your team in number 2 "for now." Ah, the naysayers are all coming out because they can see our team is flawed in so many ways. Bummer
Was he pointing out our flaws, or was he smart enough to realize that considering that the #1 team is on our schedule, it is pretty much guaranteed that #2 is temporary? If we're still #2 when we face OSU, we will either move up or move down after that. Was he a local? If so, of course he's just assuming that the CFP will be OSU and three SEC teams. Don't let yourself get trolled, brah. You should have shot back that he's right that #2 is just "for now"...until we move up to #1 in November. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not, you can't let non-Spartans talk shit.

But I am reminded a bit of 2009 with the secondary, especially with more of the bend-but-don't-break defense than we've seen the last few years (TBF, last year we broke more than we bent in many cases). However, we didn't have a DL in 2009 anything like what we have now (even Worthy was only a Frosh). Or an LB corps as good as what we have now. The secondary might actually have more talent now than we had then, but we're measuring things on a whole different scale now, so they seem as bad or worse. The DL and blitzing LBs should help the secondary, but it didn't work like it should have against CMU. On his podcast, Travis Jackson pointed out that they were picking up our blitzes really well on 3rd down and that a lot of their big pick ups were in holes vacated by the blitzing LBs. They were completing those a lot in the middle. Maybe the safeties need to come up better/quicker, I'm not sure.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 14:09

Tanfan! wrote:
DWags wrote:

The problem is...Nicholson, our most highly recruited guy in the secondary was benched and has been shoddy all year.

Need him to play at a high level or the secondary simply won't be all that good especially with Cope out.

Lets prey Hicks is a new and improved edition of his old self.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 14:10

Well, Air Force did play Western in their bowl game last year Wink
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 14:23

The_Dude wrote:

Well, Air Force did play Western in their bowl game last year Wink
and I think Central's game was on HGTV at 10:30 pm on a Sunday.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 15:19

DWags wrote:
Vlad wrote:

No Vlad, everyone on this board knows when...Saying this team doesn't seem like a number two team in the country isn't far fetched.   We have work to do. We have the proper mechanism in place to work on it.

So what are we arguing about again?? (Most of the time I don't even know what you're upset about. But I do enjoy getting you all riled up in every thread. Like an involuntary reaction.)

And I notice it's very important for you to get "everyone on this board" behind you. Do you really think "everyone" supports you on everything?  Are you familiar with the term "Dwagsification for the RCMB"??  That's quite a bit to carry around with you, isn't it??

But if you need "everyone's" support to argue with me, I guess that's ok. It shouldn't take a small army to hold your own against me, but maybe I'm underestimating myself. :-) Enjoy the circle-jerks with "everyone".
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 20:53

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

No Vlad, everyone on this board knows when...Saying this team doesn't seem like a number two team in the country isn't far fetched.   We have work to do. We have the proper mechanism in place to work on it.

So what are we arguing about again?? (Most of the time I don't even know what you're upset about. But I do enjoy getting you all riled up in every thread. Like an involuntary reaction.)

And I notice it's very important for you to get "everyone on this board" behind you. Do you really think "everyone" supports you on everything?  Are you familiar with the term "Dwagsification for the RCMB"??  That's quite a bit to carry around with you, isn't it??

But if you need "everyone's" support to argue with me, I guess that's ok. It shouldn't take a small army to hold your own against me, but maybe I'm underestimating myself. :-) Enjoy the circle-jerks with "everyone".

Now there's some anger.

Nigel taco me. Told you it's easy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:00

And freakin'' Vlad still thinks his is the only opinion that counts.

So sad.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:19

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

You say you get it, but I don't think you get it. In the end, it's just about saying what's on your mind. Not much more than that.  To the extent the SB's feel "needled", that's sort of collateral damage, and yes, there is a small bit of enjoyment to be gained from it, but that's not the primary focus.

They're a fragile bunch, those SBers.

Anyway, glad we agree that this doesn't look anything like a #2 team right now.  But we are where we are, and we go forward from here!

Bullshit. You have already admitted that you get off on posting after losses ( and wins that don't meet your satisfaction) to piss off fellow Spartans. Don't even try backpedaling on that.

As for saying what is on your mind, it always the completely negative in regards to MSU sports. Even in the best of times. Don't you think that is a little fucked up ?

Hell, you wondered out loud last year if Tom Fucking Izzo could remain relevant in college basketball. I don't remember a retraction after he made the final four, AGAIN. Just admit that the only reason you post here (or trcmb) is to stir the pot and grind on your own.

Now that MSU football and basketball are flat out elite, this place cannot by as fun for you. I do wonder what you will bitch about if we win the whole damn thing in either sport. My guess is that you will simply go away. Which would be nice.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:20

duffy goes golfing during big games. Don't listen to anything he says about anything.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:37

Giant Moose wrote:duffy goes golfing during big games. Don't listen to anything he says about anything.

I wasn't playing golf during the game. It was dark outside.

And Russell Byrd is currently banging your wife.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:41

duffy munn wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:duffy goes golfing during big games. Don't listen to anything he says about anything.

I wasn't playing golf during the game. It was dark outside.

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 3 1790780388
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 21:42

You are so childish, duffy.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 22:05

Giant Moose wrote:You are so childish, duffy.

I thought that was the idea ?

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed 30 Sep 2015 - 22:24

duffy munn wrote:

LOL
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next