Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

+27
Nordic
CORNER BLITZ
Giant Moose
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
DWags
Vlad
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
MiamiSpartan
SpartyScotty
Rocinante
Screw tRCMB
tanfan!
steveschneider
Wally Fairway
WhiteGreenShow
Other Teams Pursuing That
Heat Miser
HT
Stoops21
Watch Out Pylon!
duffy munn
Triple Sparty
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 2 Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 10:52

Vlad wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I guess I'm not following your thinking.  You say MSU doesn't look like a playoff team, but you would pick them to be in the playoffs

Not enough data available yet.  We're barely entering conference play.  So yeah, if the playoffs start tomorrow, go with the preseason favorites.

MSU was a preseason favorite to make the playoffs?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 2 Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 10:54

duffy munn wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

He had to jerk off first. It didn't take long though. 20 seconds tops after that news.

Probably worked it to a picture of Devin Gardner.

Just think about how many times a day Vlad with spank it if we actually lose a game.

Amazing how grown men evolve a conversation from the possibility of dropping down a few spots from #2 to jerking off with D. Gardners pictures.  Wink

Whatever gets you off, I guess.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-28, 10:56

Vlad wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Just think about how many times a day Vlad with spank it if we actually lose a game.

Amazing how grown men evolve a conversation from the possibility of dropping down a few spots from #2 to jerking off with D. Gardners pictures.  Wink

Like I said, the two topics are comparable in terms of relevance
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 10:57

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Not enough data available yet.  We're barely entering conference play.  So yeah, if the playoffs start tomorrow, go with the preseason favorites.

MSU was a preseason favorite to make the playoffs?  

About half of the sports personalities I listen to were putting them in, including Mike and Mike on ESPN. And with the top 5-ish pre-season ranking, the Oregon game behind us, yeah, I think we qualify as one of the default four.

Last edited by Vlad on 2015-09-28, 10:59; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 10:58

Vlad wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Or how you evolved from saying MSU was not a playoff team, but picking MSU to be in the playoffs?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-28, 11:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Congrats, you've been Vladidated.

heh.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:03

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Or how you evolved from saying MSU was not a playoff team, but picking MSU to be in the playoffs?

Let's go real slow here, because I understand that not everyone's brain works at the same speed....

TODAY...as things stand today...I would put MSU in the playoffs that start tomorrow, by default (not because they've earned it).  But if the question is - will MSU make the playoffs at the END OF THE SEASON, based on what we've seen so far, I think it's doubtful.

And of course, we still have 8 games to go, a lot is gonna happen.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 11:06

Vlad wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Let's go real slow here, because I understand that not everyone's brain works at the same speed....

TODAY...as things stand today...I would put MSU in the playoffs that start tomorrow, by default (not because they've earned it).  But if the question is - will MSU make the playoffs at the END OF THE SEASON, based on what we've seen so far, I think it's doubtful.

Let's go real slow here, because I understand that not everyone's brain works at the same speed...

And TODAY you would put Alabama in the playoffs? As things stand TODAY?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:09

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Let's go real slow here, because I understand that not everyone's brain works at the same speed...

And TODAY you would put Alabama in the playoffs?  As things stand TODAY?

Yep, same logic as with MSU. They haven't looked good, but they've held serve.  Since not enough data is in, keep 'em in.

Back to MSU.  See Nigel, I'm a bit of a homer.  In spite of my posting history, I can actually never get myself to pick against MSU.  My brackets every year have MSU in at least the FF.  I just can't get my inner self to listen to my outter voice.

Of course, I also don't bet on my own predictions.  I am at least smart to keep my wallet from my emotional bias.  Razz

Last edited by Vlad on 2015-09-28, 11:11; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-09-28, 11:11

Look, as a Division 1 message board athlete with a scholly, I have to take it one game at a time. Right now I'm totally focused on whomever we play next. I know I have to sharpen my typing skills and wit a little, but I made some great calls Saturday and I turned the game around when I put the bad luck flag out. It just felt like the flag had it's mojo back, and I was right. The Pantry put his hat on too, and I think Loose Goose might have changed shirts, feeling his shirt was unlucky st that point.

So, when I look at those positives, I think there's a lot of upside. I think our best game threads are still ahead of us, so I guess I'm feeling optimistic....
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:13

Code_Warrior wrote:Look, as a Division 1 message board athlete with a scholly, I have to take it one game at a time.  Right now I'm totally focused on whomever we play next.  I know I have to sharpen my typing skills and wit a little, but I made some great calls Saturday and I turned the game around when I put the bad luck flag out.  It just felt like the flag had it's mojo back, and I was right.  The Pantry put his hat on too, and I think Loose Goose might have changed shirts, feeling his shirt was unlucky st that point.

So, when I look at those positives, I think there's a lot of upside.  I think our best game threads are still ahead of us, so I guess I'm feeling optimistic....

That's the spirit!!  cheers
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 11:15

Vlad wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yep, same logic as with MSU. They haven't looked good, but they've held serve.  Since not enough data is in, keep 'em in.

Back to MSU.  See Nigel, I'm a bit of a homer.  In spite of my posting history, I can actually never get myself to pick against MSU.  My brackets every year have MSU in at least the FF.  I just can't get my inner self to listen to my outter voice.

Of course, I also don't bet on my own predictions.  I am at least smart to keep my wallet from my emotional bias.  Razz

Alabama lost to Ole Miss.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:15

Oops, sorry!  Forgot that Bama lost to Ole Miss.  My bad!

Take Bama out and put Ole Miss in.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Screw tRCMB 2015-09-28, 11:22

I hate to agree with them, but I agree.  It's at least nice to have a place to have these discussions without being insulted or labelled a troll.  We're all Spartans!  That said, I really hope our team can improve. Injuries hurt, yeah, but Spartans Will!

Last edited by Screw tRCMB on 2015-09-28, 11:37; edited 1 time in total
Screw tRCMB
Screw tRCMB
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 11:25

Screw tRCMB wrote:I hate to agree with them, but I agree. It' sat least nice to have a place to have these discussions without being insulted or labelled a troll. We're all Spartans! That said, I really hope our team can improve. Injuries hurt, yeah, but Spartans Will!

Welcome Back SeeRock!!!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-28, 11:27

Screw tRCMB wrote:I hate to agree with them, but I agree.  It' sat least nice to have a place to have these discussions without being insulted or labelled a troll.  We're all Spartans!  That said, I really hope our team can improve. Injuries hurt, yeah, but Spartans Will!
+1
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-28, 11:27

Vlad wrote:At least as things stand today.

Rexrode and Couch are onboard. In fact, Joe rips this team a new one in today's Freep, and tells the fans to get real.

Always a day late these guys. Must be the medium.

Anyway… It's good to be 4-0.  The national media is still behind us, sort of. There's time to fix the problems.

Agreed. MSU ranks in the bottom 1/3 in total defense and total offense. That's just pathetic considering our expectations coming into the season.

Only big time blowouts of Purdue and Rutgers the next two weeks will get us feeling like we can beat UM.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 11:29

The_Dude wrote:

Rexrode and Couch are onboard. In fact, Joe rips this team a new one in today's Freep, and tells the fans to get real.

Anyway… It's good to be 4-0.  The national media is still behind us, sort of. There's time to fix the problems.

Agreed. MSU ranks in the bottom 1/3 in total defense and total offense. That's just pathetic considering our expectations coming into the season.

Only big time blowouts of Purdue and Rutgers the next two weeks will get us feeling like we can beat UM.

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team - Page 2 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-28, 11:30

The_Dude wrote:

I don't feel that we're going to lose to um, so I'd appreciate it if you don't make blanket generalizations.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:41

Screw tRCMB wrote:I hate to agree with them, but I agree.  It's at least nice to have a place to have these discussions without being insulted or labelled a troll.  We're all Spartans!  That said, I really hope our team can improve. Injuries hurt, yeah, but Spartans Will!

Well, an elderly gentleman did suggest that I masturbate to pics of Devin Gardner.  That was a bit insulting.

But yeah, overall, you're right. People are way nicer over here.  scratch sunny
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Screw tRCMB 2015-09-28, 11:44

Vlad wrote:
Screw tRCMB wrote:I hate to agree with them, but I agree.  It's at least nice to have a place to have these discussions without being insulted or labelled a troll.  We're all Spartans!  That said, I really hope our team can improve. Injuries hurt, yeah, but Spartans Will!

...I masturbate to pics of Devin Gardner.  

Whatever floats your boat, dude.  I'm not here to judge!  tongue
Screw tRCMB
Screw tRCMB
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 11:49

Screw tRCMB wrote:
Vlad wrote:

...I masturbate to pics of Devin Gardner.  

Whatever floats your boat, dude.  I'm not here to judge!  tongue

The joke is on them anyway, because it's actually a picture of Dreadlock Jesus posing with his two September Heismans.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-09-28, 11:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:anytime you go on the road in conference play, anything can happen.

Agreed. Always have to expect refs looking to favor home team, making road games especially susceptible to being decided against MSU for reasons beyond the 22 players on the field.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-28, 12:18

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Nope. All I need is my eyes and the SpartansXtra app.

Your eyes told you that we wouldn't make the tournament last March also, right? I'd start getting a second opinion if I were you.

He really wasn't that far off. Final four, not make the tournament. Really, it's only like a four possibly five game difference.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-28, 12:23

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/25319710/college-football-power-rankings-utah-moves-hello-florida-michigan

While I think there are four teams on our schedule who can beat us, we could also go 4-0 against them and everything in between.

To go four and 0 we need our best and some luck. But it's possible.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-28, 12:31

Malik thinks MSU is hte best in the country.

"I feel like we're the best team in the country, I'm never going to hold my mouth closed about that, but we got to prove it to everyone else, and we have to go out there and play like it," said Malik McDowell, MSU's sophomore defensive tackle.

"Right now we're not playing like it, exactly,'' he said, "but it's just little stuff, so we can get that fixed quickly, and that's all there is to it."
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-09-28, 14:30

Vlad wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Bama held serve ? I could have sworn they lost a game ? Had MSU lost a game, you would have buried them.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Screw tRCMB 2015-09-28, 14:41

nTenSity wrote:Malik thinks MSU is hte best in the country.

"I feel like we're the best team in the country, I'm never going to hold my mouth closed about that, but we got to prove it to everyone else, and we have to go out there and play like it," said Malik McDowell, MSU's sophomore defensive tackle.

"Right now we're not playing like it, exactly,'' he said, "but it's just little stuff, so we can get that fixed quickly, and that's all there is to it."

Great.  More talk.   lol!
Screw tRCMB
Screw tRCMB
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-28, 14:43

DWags wrote:http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/25319710/college-football-power-rankings-utah-moves-hello-florida-michigan

While I think there are four teams on our schedule who can beat us, we could also go 4-0 against them and everything in between.  

To go four and 0 we need our best and some luck. But it's possible.

I don't think we need luck. We just have to get more healthy and back-ups need to step up. We are skilled enough to get through all of the teams remaining.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-09-28, 22:48

DWags wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Your eyes told you that we wouldn't make the tournament last March also, right? I'd start getting a second opinion if I were you.

He really wasn't that far off. Final four, not make the tournament. Really, it's only like a four possibly five game difference.

I wonder if Izzo remains relevant ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-09-28, 23:37

Perspective:

The #2 team last year at this point was....Oregon. They had just squeaked by Washington State (who finished 3-9 btw) 38-31...and were about to lose to the Arizona Fighting DickRods 31-24. They had some injury issues at the time. And yet they made the playoff. I wonder if their fans & media were acting like ours are now?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-09-28, 23:39

Vlad's hemorrhoids flaring up again?

He's miserable so we all have to be miserable with him and his hemorroids?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-09-28, 23:43

GRR Spartan wrote:Vlad's hemorrhoids flaring up again?

The usual suspects fishing for reactions with the same old formula. Yawn.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-09-29, 05:22

Heat Miser wrote:Perspective:

The #2 team last year at this point was....Oregon. They had just squeaked by Washington State (who finished 3-9 btw) 38-31...and were about to lose to the Arizona Fighting DickRods 31-24. They had some injury issues at the time. And yet they made the playoff. I wonder if their fans & media were acting like ours are now?
I imagine that they had their fair share of naysayers. I imagine every fan base has naysayers except maybe those fan bases who think their universities are God's gift to football like SCum, OSU, and Alabama.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-29, 07:20

Heat Miser wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Vlad's hemorrhoids flaring up again?

The usual suspects fishing for reactions with the same old formula. Yawn.

Yeah, he's admitted on here he lives to rub it in to MSU fans when they lose a big game. He'll continue that here. Thing is, it's a bit different here. His formula works better over on the rcmb.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-09-29, 07:24

Analysis: Statistics, computer ranks suggest Michigan State a pretender

Of course, Mark Dantonio pointed out that MSU has played a tough non-conference schedule — the only team in the nation, in fact, to play four bowl teams.

"We've played a very tough out-of-conference schedule, probably the toughest we've played since I've been here," Dantonio said. "Western (Michigan), Oregon, Air Force and Central, they've all (played in) bowl games, they've all won seven to 13 games in there, so there's a lot of wins. Thirty-eight different wins.

MSU is No. 28 in the Sagarin computer rankings with a schedule strength that's 71st, but the Spartans are No. 2 according to RealTimeRpi.com with a schedule strength of 81.

The Billingsley Report, however, has MSU No. 1 in its computer ranks with the No. 36 schedule.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-09-29, 07:56

The_Dude wrote:

Us?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-29, 07:56

if I were to hear someone discussing how difficult MSU's schedule is and refers to playing 4 bowl teams from last year - and 3 of those bowl teams are Air Force, Western Michigan and Central Michigan - it reminds me of one thing: there are entirely too many bowls.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2015-09-29, 08:18

Cook needs to pull his head out of his ass.
Defense needs improvement
We need to get healthy.

If those don't change we will drop 3 games. But good thing our best writers are quick to get walverines to slob their knob. I fucking despise our journalists.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-09-29, 08:50

We've been playing sloppy, but we've also been playing very vanilla. Dantonio's following the example set by his mentor Jim Tressel in handling the non-conference. It's going to be very vanilla and I don't seriously expect things to get less bland until we play Michigan. Then, the playbook will open up a bit.

Also, the team is going to have some degree of trouble focusing because on paper, they should win easily. We're also going to look sloppy because every team is giving us their best shot because we're the #2 team in the country. It's a very precarious spot.

We're going to look sloppy again on Saturday, and I'll be fine as long as we win and show some improvement. Most importantly, we need to stay healthy. That's my only major issue right now, since despite how we've looked so far, Dantonio teams typically get better as the season rolls on.

Only panic right now if we sustain another major injury. Until then, just enjoy the season and hope that we don't get burned by sloppy play.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next