Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Deer Hunting Thread.

+34
steveschneider
tGreenWay
pulling69
Senior Dickfist
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
TheReal_LWS
Green Note
The Pantry
Toe
Tankster
NigelUno
tMolson
CORNER BLITZ
Death Roe
DWags
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
MSU addict
CheesySpartan
GirbaudJeans
SpartanGuard
xsanguine
Big Ten Referee
AvgMSUJoe
Rocinante
Jake from State Farm
SpartanMikey
Robert J Sakimano
LoneWolfSparty
tTy
38 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 Empty Re: Swill Deer Hunting Thread.

Post by Guest 2016-09-29, 12:01

Triple Sparty wrote:Will be bow hunting all next week. Anything going on in mio then?

What day are you coming up? Things slow down here between Labor day and Opening day. After a little burst around hunting
it's slow again until the snow flies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-09-29, 23:32

I pulled cards today and FINALLY saw some bachelor groups coming through! I hadn't seen shit all summer. I had pics of bear, 'yotes, bobcat, a zilly coons, squirrels and rabbits, but literally zero deer. Not even does/fawns.

Now, though, I have at least three 6/8 points visiting my mineral spots frequently. Baited everything hard, and I will be out there on Saturday. Can. Not. Wait!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-09-30, 07:21

tTy wrote:I pulled cards today and FINALLY saw some bachelor groups coming through!  I hadn't seen shit all summer.  I had pics of bear, 'yotes, bobcat, a zilly coons, squirrels and rabbits, but literally zero deer.  Not even does/fawns.

Now, though, I have at least three 6/8 points visiting my mineral spots frequently.  Baited everything hard, and I will be out there on Saturday.  Can. Not. Wait!

We set up a new stand about 28 yards from a highway. Deer have beaten this path down to dirt. Put up a camera and 3 days later already had a monster 9 running that trail. Lots of corn still up though so we know there are more. Passing on all those 4-7 pts the last 3 years will pay dividends.

EDIT: For non deer hunters, highway means deer path that is heavily traveled. I forgot there are a lot of obtuse idiots on this board.

Last edited by TheReal_LWS on 2016-09-30, 09:38; edited 2 times in total
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-09-30, 09:22

I'll be in a stand Monday thru Friday. Unless it gets warmer. Then I'll just try to shoot some geese.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-30, 11:19

Something to keep in mind as you're driving up for opening day.  Be careful out there.

Passenger killed after van hits deer

According to the Mason County Press, the crash happened when a minivan was heading west on US-10 and hit a deer. The deer was impaled by the vehicle. One half of the deer's body went through the minivan's windshield and landed in the back of the vehicle and the remainder of the deer hit an eastbound vehicle. The eastbound vehicle received very little damage.

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 739b7407-8e4d-4061-832f-65c7680a3ea9-large16x9_US10_Fatal_mason_county_sheriff
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-02, 19:07

I have an "I just fucked up trying to shoot a decent 6 point" story. Super pissed....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-10-02, 19:15

LooseGoose wrote:Something to keep in mind as you're driving up for opening day.  Be careful out there.

According to the Mason County Press, the crash happened when a minivan was heading west on US-10 and hit a deer. The deer was impaled by the vehicle. One half of the deer's body went through the minivan's windshield and landed in the back of the vehicle and the remainder of the deer hit an eastbound vehicle. The eastbound vehicle received very little damage.

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 739b7407-8e4d-4061-832f-65c7680a3ea9-large16x9_US10_Fatal_mason_county_sheriff

If you see them effers don't slam on the brakes, all that does is lower the front end so the deer can get you through the windshield. Automobiles are replaceable.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-02, 21:14

Don't swerve or break for any animal unless it's an elephant.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-10-02, 21:27

Pull the hand brake and side swipe em.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-04, 12:39

Not a deer and not in Michigan......but posting it because I want to.

Field & Stream ‏@FieldandStream 19m19 minutes ago
Fourteen-Year-Old Nebraska Girl Shoots Potential State-Record Elk http://fieldandstre.am/BWYxOL #Hunting

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 Ct78SNAVIAEUpnd
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-10-04, 12:43

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 381515_270436333017210_100001525361143_729352_1398485525_n

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-04, 12:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 381515_270436333017210_100001525361143_729352_1398485525_n

Good to see you've found love.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-04, 12:59

tTy wrote:I have an "I just fucked up trying to shoot a decent 6 point" story. Super pissed....

Saturday night I let a really nice 6 walk. Very high, heavy-beamed. Hope he can make it another year but we have some yahoos near us that will probably kill him.

That morning I had to pass a shooter doe because she had a button standing right behind her when she finally presented a shot.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-10-04, 13:03

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 381515_270436333017210_100001525361143_729352_1398485525_n

Good to see you've found love.
thanks, man.. you boys up in Mio have some real lookers. I put my house in East Lansing up for sale and I put a bid on on a trailer in your neck of the woods.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-04, 13:08

LooseGoose wrote:Something to keep in mind as you're driving up for opening day.  Be careful out there.

I've seen an accident happen just like that right in front of me. The deer tried jumping over a van and didn't come close. Wasn't fatal though. Dude driving was drenched in blood (deer's). Looked like he was straight out of a horror movie.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-04, 13:22

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I've seen an accident happen just like that right in front of me. The deer tried jumping over a van and didn't come close. Wasn't fatal though. Dude driving was drenched in blood (deer's). Looked like he was straight out of a horror movie.

Last fall I saw the same accident on Hines Dr. It was a Ford Flex, the roof line was bent, the windshield was spidered, but didn't perforate. And it was a monster buck laying dead on the side of the road.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-04, 19:57

tTy wrote:I have an "I just fucked up trying to shoot a decent 6 point" story.  Super pissed....

So, I don't really give a crap about antlers and whatnot.  Sure, it'd be sweet to shoot the Heartford buck and hang it on my wall, but I don't really care about that.  I just love venison.... In other words, if it's legal, and doesn't still have milk on it's lips, I'm shooting it.  So long as I don't screw up.... Well, Saturday, I screwed up.  Got up in the stand at about 4pm, it was misting out a little bit and was threatening to rain all day long.  Wind was very light, you could hear everything in the woods.  I had zero action for a couple hours when this smallish six starts walking in.  Takes him 10-15 minutes to cover the last 30-40 yards, very cautious, etc.... He is finally standing at my bait, quartering away, head down to munch on another sugar beet.  I put the bead right behind his front shoulder, exhale, hold my breath, pull the trigger on my Xbow.......*click*, nothing.....

Deer picks his head up and turns to look at me for about 5 minutes straight.  I still have my XBow up and aimed at him because I can't move and spook him.  So I wait it out with my left shoulder just burning from holding my pose for so long and he finally goes back to eating.  I am not quite sure WTF just happened, so I decide to take the chance of re-cocking the Xbow with my hands in the stand (stupid as fuck, yeah, I know...), but I did it finally.  I was already to shoot again, but this time I had to wait another 5 minutes for him to get back into an ethical shooting position, and finally, I get another quartering away shot (he had his ass pointing at me during this time).  I place the crosshairs right behind his left front shoulder, exhale, hold my breath, and squeeze......*click*, nothing....

This time he picked his head up and walked off about three paces.  kept his eyes on me the whole time and I still have to hold my pose so as to not spook him.  He checked me out for another 5 minutes or so and then stomped his right front twice, and bounded off about 4 or 5 good bounds.  Pretty sure he didn't know there was a person there, but by then he knew something was up.

I left 20 minutes pass before I decided to climb down out of the stand to see WTF was up with my XBow.  I got back to the jeep and checked 'er out.... I didn't have the damn bolt seated far enough back and the anti dry-fire mechanism was still engaged.  The *click* was the bow string moving about half a centimeter into the ADF Mechanism.  IDIOT!!!!!!

Oh well, that'll never happen again, and at least I didn't spook the quarry.  I have plenty of pics of him over the past 5 weeks or so, so I think I'll get another chance.

Still pissed.  Would have been a great start to the season.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-04, 20:02

Bob and Loose as neighbors in Mio.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-05, 09:10

tTy wrote:
tTy wrote:I have an "I just fucked up trying to shoot a decent 6 point" story.  Super pissed....

So, I don't really give a crap about antlers and whatnot.  Sure, it'd be sweet to shoot the Heartford buck and hang it on my wall, but I don't really care about that.  I just love venison.... In other words, if it's legal, and doesn't still have milk on it's lips, I'm shooting it.  So long as I don't screw up.... Well, Saturday, I screwed up.  Got up in the stand at about 4pm, it was misting out a little bit and was threatening to rain all day long.  Wind was very light, you could hear everything in the woods.  I had zero action for a couple hours when this smallish six starts walking in.  Takes him 10-15 minutes to cover the last 30-40 yards, very cautious, etc.... He is finally standing at my bait, quartering away, head down to munch on another sugar beet.  I put the bead right behind his front shoulder, exhale, hold my breath, pull the trigger on my Xbow.......*click*, nothing.....

Deer picks his head up and turns to look at me for about 5 minutes straight.  I still have my XBow up and aimed at him because I can't move and spook him.  So I wait it out with my left shoulder just burning from holding my pose for so long and he finally goes back to eating.  I am not quite sure WTF just happened, so I decide to take the chance of re-cocking the Xbow with my hands in the stand (stupid as fuck, yeah, I know...), but I did it finally.  I was already to shoot again, but this time I had to wait another 5 minutes for him to get back into an ethical shooting position, and finally, I get another quartering away shot (he had his ass pointing at me during this time).  I place the crosshairs right behind his left front shoulder, exhale, hold my breath, and squeeze......*click*, nothing....

This time he picked his head up and walked off about three paces.  kept his eyes on me the whole time and I still have to hold my pose so as to not spook him.  He checked me out for another 5 minutes or so and then stomped his right front twice, and bounded off about 4 or 5 good bounds.  Pretty sure he didn't know there was a person there, but by then he knew something was up.

I left 20 minutes pass before I decided to climb down out of the stand to see WTF was up with my XBow.  I got back to the jeep and checked 'er out.... I didn't have the damn bolt seated far enough back and the anti dry-fire mechanism was still engaged.  The *click* was the bow string moving about half a centimeter into the ADF Mechanism.  IDIOT!!!!!!

Oh well, that'll never happen again, and at least I didn't spook the quarry.  I have plenty of pics of him over the past 5 weeks or so, so I think I'll get another chance.

Still pissed.  Would have been a great start to the season.

Stuff happens. If it was easy then the woods would be full of people. It is hard, it requires time, luck, practice, scouting, preparation, equipment, experience, setting up properly, etc. Lots of things that can go wrong. That is why you are successful 1 out of every 30-50 hunts. The deer have all of the advantages which is why I love when ignorant people start mouthing off about hunting tools and techniques.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox, I bet you never not seat your bolt far enough back ever again. Live and learn.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-05, 09:29

Turtleneck wrote:Bob and Loose as neighbors in Mio.
We wouldn't be neighbors so no worries.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-10-05, 09:30

he'd probably put forth a vote to have me banned from the trailer park..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-05, 09:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You flatter yourself, in real life you wouldn't be worth the effort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-10-05, 09:42

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

holy repetitive posting, Batman!
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-10-05, 10:05

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You flatter yourself, in real life you wouldn't be worth the effort.  
I could show you my entertainment center inside the trailer... and maybe we could compare mustard stains on our MSU t-shirts... or you could teach me the finer points in rolling up a garden hose.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-09, 10:32

I'm normally a pretty lazy hunter. I've set up on the same piece of private property for the last 15 years, and shot, roughly, a half dozen deer or so. I have never gone out scouting and actively pursuing big bucks or anything like that because, frankly, I don't care THAT much. I just like venison, and if a venison runs in front of me where I normally set up, then cool. If not, then, cool too...

That said, I was on some public property last week and found an active buck scrape. I've never hunted one before. What do I do? Someone told me to go get some fake buck piss, make the scrapes bigger, and spray it all over them. But how often do I do this? When do I go back to hunt it? I don't want to set up a cam because my cams are expensive and it's on public land and I don't want them getting ripped off. So it would be tough to pattern him...

Lil help?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-09, 11:36

tTy wrote:I'm normally a pretty lazy hunter. I've set up on the same piece of private property for the last 15 years, and shot, roughly, a half dozen deer or so. I have never gone out scouting and actively pursuing big bucks or anything like that because, frankly, I don't care THAT much. I just like venison, and if a venison runs in front of me where I normally set up, then cool. If not, then, cool too...

That said, I was on some public property last week and found an active buck scrape. I've never hunted one before. What do I do? Someone told me to go get some fake buck piss, make the scrapes bigger, and spray it all over them. But how often do I do this? When do I go back to hunt it? I don't want to set up a cam because my cams are expensive and it's on public land and I don't want them getting ripped off. So it would be tough to pattern him...

Lil help?

I normally piss in the middle of the scrape, lay down next it with my bowie knife in my teeth and cover myself in leaves.

Around noon I get up and go home for a bowl of bean soup.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2016-10-09, 11:42

tTy wrote:I'm normally a pretty lazy hunter. I've set up on the same piece of private property for the last 15 years, and shot, roughly, a half dozen deer or so. I have never gone out scouting and actively pursuing big bucks or anything like that because, frankly, I don't care THAT much. I just like venison, and if a venison runs in front of me where I normally set up, then cool. If not, then, cool too...

Lil help?

Yes does piss on the scrapes to attract the bucks
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-11, 08:43

tTy, weather has been pretty good this year. I've only raised my bow once, didn't pull back as the doe had the button behind her, and then she was obscured by limbs. Never even considerd drawing on the big 6 that walked by me. No other shots, though I've seen a lot of deer.

Any updates from you?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-11, 19:40

TheReal_LWS wrote:tTy, weather has been pretty good this year. I've only raised my bow once, didn't pull back as the doe had the button behind her, and then she was obscured by limbs. Never even considerd drawing on the big 6 that walked by me. No other shots, though I've seen a lot of deer.

Any updates from you?

Finally got a nice 8 on my cam.... once in the middle of the night, and once right at high noon the very moment I was at that funeral in Three Rivers this past Saturday.  Just threw a bunch more bait out, but didn't have a card in the cam to pull.... The six and his buddy (another 6) are still hanging around though too...

I'm going to go check out that scrape on public land in the next week or two.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-10-11, 20:09

Do you have a climber Ty? Or are you going to throw up a pop up next to the scrape? I'd plan to sit there all day in a few weeks... Or at least until noon or so.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-11, 20:15

Triple Sparty wrote:Do you have a climber Ty? Or are you going to throw up a pop up next to the scrape? I'd plan to sit there all day in a few weeks... Or at least until noon or so.

I don't have a climber. It is right in the middle of some really tall pines and there is literally zero cover. I'm actually thinking it might better serve me to put up a pop-up about 100 yards out and sit there for the opener of rifle.

Would it be stupid to put up a pop up within range for a XBow or nah? Maybe I'll throw up some pics of the surrounding area this weekend if I have time to run out there so you can see it....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-10-11, 20:24

tTy wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:Do you have a climber Ty? Or are you going to throw up a pop up next to the scrape? I'd plan to sit there all day in a few weeks... Or at least until noon or so.

I don't have a climber. It is right in the middle of some really tall pines and there is literally zero cover. I'm actually thinking it might better serve me to put up a pop-up about 100 yards out and sit there for the opener of rifle.

Would it be stupid to put up a pop up within range for a XBow or nah? Maybe I'll throw up some pics of the surrounding area this weekend if I have time to run out there so you can see it....

If there's no cover a pop up is a pretty good idea. Deer are pretty dumb when it comes to seeing stuff like that, mature bucks might be a different story though.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2016-10-11, 20:28

Why can't I attach pictures directly from my phone anymore? I have a couple good cam pics to share.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-10-11, 20:33

Yep, pop up at forty should be fine. Just make sure you play the wind right, stay off his possible trails in, and get there early.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-12, 07:34

Jake from State Farm wrote:
tTy wrote:

If there's no cover a pop up is a pretty good idea. Deer are pretty dumb when it comes to seeing stuff like that, mature bucks might be a different story though.

Not in the runt. They get dumber than a box of rocks. Pop-up, sprinkle some doe estrus, and the bucks will practically get in the blind with you.

Their eyesight is actually pretty horrendous. They see movement very well, but can't hardly make out a human-being at 10 ft. I've had doe at 6 ft staring right at me. I didn't move a muscle and they never spooked.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-14, 13:49

Wild bull elk has made mid-Michigan its temporary home

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 57fe3cc3ab493.image

Occasionally wildlife travel to areas where they are not typically found. A young bull elk recently has been spotted in several locations in mid-Michigan that are outside its home range.

“We first started receiving reports of a bull elk in Ogemaw County, and then Gladwin County and most recently near Beal City and the Herrick area in Isabella County,” said Chad Stewart, Michigan Department of Natural Resources elk specialist. “We were able to confirm the locations and also that it does appear to be a wild elk.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-14, 14:18

Is self defense a reasonable reason for dropping this beast?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-14, 14:21

TheReal_LWS wrote:Is self defense a reasonable reason for dropping this beast?

You're scared of elk too? Is there anything that doesn't make you paranoid?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-14, 14:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:Is self defense a reasonable reason for dropping this beast?

You are so obtuse. LOL
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-14, 14:49

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

You are so obtuse. LOL

Watch out ! That fly on the wall was sent from OB AM A! Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 6 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next