Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

+26
PSUfan28
Heat Miser
Wally Fairway
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
MSU addict
The Pantry
Turtleneck
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Senior Dickfist
GRR Spartan
Tim Wakefield
Cym Jim
aualum06
tTy
NigelUno
Bob Lee Swagger
Rocinante
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
MattyFresh
30 posters

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-19, 23:32

So we spent $80 million on a goalie. Alisson, Brazil’s starter. I’m sure he’s really really good... but when I look back a year ago I was sitting right behind him at comerica Park for 45 minutes and didn’t know who he was at the time. Also we scored 5 goals on him 3 months ago, not that there was anything he could have done about any of them.

*Interlude for Miami to put in that one Klopp quote from two years ago*

That was a stupid thing to say. But, I will point out that even after this and VVD and Fabinho and Keita and Salah and AOC, our net spend since Klopp showed up is only 80 million pounds. Relatively miniscule. But it was still a stupid thing to say.

Anyway, before the champions league final we probably needed to do this. After... while Karius’ concussion did have an impact, he has such a hill to climb to get back and it probably has to happen somewhere else. He did something stupid again in a preseason game last week and it was like the end of the world. Without Alisson it would have been a season full of questioning every single goal given up.

Anyway he better be fuckin good for the money spent (and I wonder how much of that was a post Salah premium we had to pay to Roma. That had to factor in.) From all reports he will be, but like VVD (who has already justified his price) he has a point to prove now.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-19, 23:54

I do still think we need one more attacking player to get over the hump. Be it the rumored Fekir, or Pulisic or whatever.... we got lucky as hell last year with Firmino Salah and Mane not really picking up any serious injuries. One of them is bound to go down for a bit at some point and we have nothing to replace them really other than Solanke who is young still or Sturridge who will die in the first game he’s required as is tradition. Keita is going to be super fun to watch but squad wise he’s more or less a replacement for Can. We still need one more.

But having a defense that feels relatively settled (Lovren made the World Cup starting 11 team I mean what the hell) is a nice feeling after a few years of constant worry.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-19, 23:55

Maybe I’m underestimating Shaqiri (sp?) but I feel like he’s mostly a replacement for AOC who is all but confirm to be out for the whole year.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-20, 00:02

Talking to yourself again, Travis?

STFU
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-20, 00:05

The Pantry wrote:Talking to yourself again, Travis?

STFU

Mostly Miami when he shows up and sees it.

You know, pantry, funny thing about soccer is that the way teams change players is waaaaaaaaaay more what you would consider “American” than American sports are. It’s a capitalist system where players are almost exclusively bought and sold for cash.

American sports frown upon that and have a more communist system of making trades equal and a governing body that can nullify them if they want. You should look into it. It appeals to what you claim to be your values.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-20, 22:08

Sorry, Trav, I don't have much to say about Liverpool transfers, just like I don't with other college football teams' crootin. It seems you're recognizing Klopp's hypocrisy on one thing, so that's a step in the right direction, I suppose.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-23, 02:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:Sorry, Trav, I don't have much to say about Liverpool transfers, just like I don't with other college football teams' crootin. It seems you're recognizing Klopp's hypocrisy on one thing, so that's a step in the right direction, I suppose.

I get it dog. Hell, I’m glad I said it before Klopp himself said the other day “oh yeah no that was probably stupid to say.” Dude is doing what he needs to do to compete and with the money available to him. Can’t hate. Said something stupid.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-24, 18:25

So Trav, I saw that Salah and Mane are confirmed to be available for the game Saturday (it was pretty likely going to be the case when they arrived to training last week, but it sounds like they officially said that they will be). I'm sure you're happy.

I have my free ticket all set for the United-Real Madrid game in Miami (at least according to the person giving them to me, I don't have it in my hand). So I'm glad to give a big fuck you to the bastards that run these games and not give them any more money (ok, it's actually a little fuck you in the big picture). They're dicking fans over so much, especially for the game in Miami. In the United section, including fees/taxes, it would have cost me $234. It's not the money, it's the principle. Even tickets in the third level cost $180, including fees. To be in the rafters for a friendly involving mostly youth and reserve players? Really? For the game in the Shit House, the United section was going for $116, I think. Pricey, but not horrible, as they're good seats (which is probably what you got for the Scouse section). I could have bought a plane ticket and gone to the game in AA for less than it would have cost me to pay for an equivalent ticket in Miami. Fucking dicks. They talk such bullshit about how this tournament grows the sport in this country, yet they're the ones hurting it by pricing out families. What's nice is that ticket sales have been down, and they have had to offer specials and discounts for tickets, so that's good. They're seeing pushback from the fans.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-24, 22:13

Yeah I got in the $116 section, which is fine by me. But yeah the prices are pretty stupid as a whole. But they’ve been selling out so I guess they haven’t had an incentive to lower it yet. Hopefully what you mentioned about not having sold a bunch of seats is the case and they’ll come down a bit in the future.

But yeah the good news for me is that we have basically everyone there. Only Firmino, Alisson and Lovren are missing. So hopefully they’ll all get time. I don’t really love that we’re playing united (or city on Thursday for that matter) instead of just some random team from a different league. I think that’s a better way to do it. How many people are actually going because it’s liverpool vs United? A handful I guess. Most are either fans of one of the teams and would go regardless or they’re just going regardless. Making rival teams play in preseason games just seems cheap.

But whatever I’m gonna hug Klopp.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-25, 15:24

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yeah I got in the $116 section, which is fine by me. But yeah the prices are pretty stupid as a whole. But they’ve been selling out so I guess they haven’t had an incentive to lower it yet. Hopefully what you mentioned about not having sold a bunch of seats is the case and they’ll come down a bit in the future.

But yeah the good news for me is that we have basically everyone there. Only Firmino, Alisson and Lovren are missing. So hopefully they’ll all get time. I don’t really love that we’re playing united (or city on Thursday for that matter) instead of just some random team from a different league. I think that’s a better way to do it. How many people are actually going because it’s liverpool vs United? A handful I guess. Most are either fans of one of the teams and would go regardless or they’re just going regardless. Making rival teams play in preseason games just seems cheap.

But whatever I’m gonna hug Klopp.
They were offering discounts this summer, so maybe that helped fill in some games. Part of it is fatigue as you have a lot of teams that come to the US nearly every year now, and often play in a lot of the same cities (not unlike how MSU's bowl attendances dwindled when they played in Orlando or Tampa in 4 out of 5 years). When you do that, and increase ticket prices, it's not a good combination. I think the Ann Arbor game will have a good crowd, as neither team has played nearby in a while (United played in AA in 2014, and Chicago in 2015, but nothing close since...not sure about Liverpool). Maybe Miami for United-Madrid, but Madrid was here last year, and again a few years ago, so there is some fatigue for them among fans.

I agree about playing rivals from the same countries. It's lame on a pre-season tour. They try to sell it as these fierce rivalries, but since they're just friendlies any way, I like to see United against teams that they don't often play.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-28, 22:22

That was a pretty awesome day Miami. Had a great view of Shaqiri’s crazy ass goal

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 7bd45310
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-29, 18:08

That was a hell of a goal, Trav. Glad you had a good time. Hope you were able to enjoy the whole experience.

United are here in Miami, now. I'm soaking in as much of it as I can. 4 years ago they played in Miami, but it was literally on 3 days notice. Back then, the ICC had a "championship game", but with so little notice there wasn't time for events or anything to be set up. So this is the first time they've ever had a pre-planned game within about 1,000 miles, which leads to some hype, events, etc.

Met Bryan Robson today (80s/early 90s captain and legend). Will probably meet Peter Schmeichel and Denis Irwin tomorrow (90s legends who Cym Jim probably despises). I'm not an autograph hound, but just trying to take in what I can for the experience.
Tempting to go to their practice field, but that feels weird. I have no problem going to official things like meet and greets or if they have an open practice, but waiting outside their practice field (not stadium practices, but at a DII college) or hanging around the hotel like some at this Bryan Robson thing were talking about, all feels a bit much.

Not that anyone here cares about my jock sniffing plans.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-07-29, 18:16

Friday night it turns out that Klopp hit up an event for the local supporters club and I was sorta bummed to not be a part of the local supporters club haha. I get it.

But at the same time, yeah, I don’t know if I could be one of those people waiting outside of the team hotel or whatever. I’m glad those people exist so that the teams feel welcome and all, but I just couldn’t do it.

It was startling to me how many people there were and not like half assing it. I mean some were for sure, but I guess you don’t realize until you’re there how many people a) love this shit and b) love one of these two clubs in the area. It was cool to be around so many people that get it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-09, 12:45

Tick Tick Tick. That's the sound of the time bomb at United counting down.

Ah well, season kicks off tomorrow, and I can't wait. Hoping we can scrape out a 0-0 draw at home to Leicester. Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 55953254
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-09, 13:11

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 18675-archer-archer-wooo
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-10, 15:02

Lol weak
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-08-10, 17:09

Pogba and Shaw scored United's two goals. Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 23 502811600 Mourinho should have brought on Martial to complete the hat trick of goals by players that Mourinho has an irrational dislike of.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-10, 17:22

Hi, Travis!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-11, 15:32

Disappointing draw open for Everton
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-11, 16:02

Senior Dickfist wrote:Hi, Travis!

Hey dickfest!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-11, 17:46

I’m going to watch Man City vs Arsenal tomorrow. Fired up!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 10:18

That went about as expected.

It’d be so cool if Daniel Sturridge could go back to being Daniel Sturridge and also not get hurt this season. Which I suppose is a big part of going back to being Daniel Sturridge. Anyway.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-12, 11:28

Arsenal lucky not to be down2-0.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-08-12, 11:56

What do you think about man city travis
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 12:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What do you think about man city travis

They’re really fuckin good otpt. We can beat them one on one, but there’s no playoff here. We need other teams to sometimes be able to beat them too. We’ll see if that happens.

But they are one of the best teams in Europe. Up there with Barcelona and Munich.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-12, 12:31

What do you think about Swindon Town Travis?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-12, 12:37

Arsenal has Chelsea next week. Tough start to the season.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-08-12, 12:38

Is this supposed to be better soccer than the world cup
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 12:41

LooseGoose wrote:What do you think about Swindon Town Travis?

*checks 538’s thingy*

Not very much goose.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-two/

This spi thing isn’t very useful when it comes to the big teams. But if you’re asking “who is going to do what in one of the lower leagues” it’s a decent resource to look at to get a feel for who stands where.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 12:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Is this supposed to be better soccer than the world cup

Yes. Though, maybe not yet. It’s mostly about practice time, like any international competition. They’re fun, but the players barely get any time to learn how to play together. In the leagues they eventually start clicking on all cylinders.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-12, 12:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:What do you think about Swindon Town Travis?

*checks 538’s thingy*

Not very much goose.

This spi thing isn’t very useful when it comes to the big teams. But if you’re asking “who is going to do what in one of the lower leagues” it’s a decent resource to look at to get a feel for who stands where.

lol, it took me a moment to find a list of Tables to get that name. IT was fun to see names in those lower leagues that were in an old DOS based League Manager program I used to play 30 years ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 13:11

LooseGoose wrote:

*checks 538’s thingy*

Not very much goose.

lol, it took me a moment to find a list of Tables to get that name. IT was fun to see names in those lower leagues that were in an old DOS based League Manager program I used to play 30 years ago.

I’d like to see Portsmouth in league 1 come back to prominence someday. My understanding (I only started following this stuff closely 5 ish years ago) is that they were one of the regular premier league teams until their owners decided to go all in and literally ended up going broke. Had to sell off all of their players to stay alive. Then relegated a few years in a row. They’ve been swimming in the lower leagues for awhile now trying to get back.

I’m sure someone else here will know more about it. It’s an interesting story.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-12, 13:24

LooseGoose wrote:

I’d like to see Portsmouth in league 1 come back to prominence someday. My understanding (I only started following this stuff closely 5 ish years ago) is that they were one of the regular premier league teams until their owners decided to go all in and literally ended up going broke. Had to sell off all of their players to stay alive. Then relegated a few years in a row. They’ve been swimming in the lower leagues for awhile now trying to get back.

I’m sure someone else here will know more about it. It’s an interesting story.

I know Bury, Port Vale, Swindon Town maybe Grimsby off that League 2 table were in the Premier league in that game. That's the sum of my knowledge of soccer/English football.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-12, 13:25

...oh, and that David Beckham decided to marry Posh Spice after seeing her on a music video while lounging in his room with a teammate.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-12, 13:41

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=juS9Ul5QtwY

This sums up the last decade for Portsmouth pretty well
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-08-19, 12:45

Just turned it on. Manchester United wtf
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-08-19, 13:26

I watched Arsenal vs Chelsea. First off I’m starting to really dig this PL stuff. I like that is a morning thing, it’s 2 hours and the. You can move on and have your day.

Regarding the match thought Arsenal had it and left two easy goals on the table. Much better match to watch than vs Man Vity last week.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-08-19, 15:03

My dude Steve. I’m glad you’re getting into it. Arsenal had a rough way to start off the schedule
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tek Jansen 2018-08-21, 11:02

aualum06 wrote:Just turned it on. Manchester United wtf

It's amazing how Mourinho just sours like clockwork, and how they can spend all that money and still not find a way to outscore their opponents.
Tek Jansen
Tek Jansen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tek Jansen 2018-08-21, 11:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My dude Steve. I’m glad you’re getting into it. Arsenal had a rough way to start off the schedule

But Liverpool - great start to the year. Smashing the Hammers at home and holding off Palace on the road with another clean sheet. Joe Gomez might be pushing "world class" Lovren. Naby Keita is only going to get better and better. Sadio Mane might outscore Salah this year.

My two questions right now are is Bobby Firmino going to stay healthy all year and how long will it take Fabinho to integrate in the midfield - last year Klopp nicely brought along Robbo and Ox as they learned the scheme.
Tek Jansen
Tek Jansen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next