Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Valenti 2020

+22
Tim Wakefield
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Nordic
InTenSity
Bill Cain
Turtleneck
DWags
InfantrySpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
kingstonlake
steveschneider
26 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 Empty Re: Mike Valenti 2020

Post by DWags 2020-08-19, 15:53

Ever realized ho foster hated 97.1 and how bitter he was at them.

Bad feelings parting ways

Foster regrets his stay at 97.1
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-19, 16:32

DWags wrote: Ever realized ho foster hated 97.1 and how bitter he was at them.

Pretty heavy read. I hope we get the rest of the story from him.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-19, 17:27

Spent fifteen years in the business.There’s absolutely no loyalty in radio, and there never has been. Minus the stroke, Foster’s description of his hatred for the job mirrored my own. I dreaded going in every day. Best decision I ever made was getting out. Went back to MSU, refocused my career trajectory, and never looked back.
The one thing that really stands out from Foster’s blog entry is that no one from his station went to visit him in the hospital. That’s disgusting.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-19, 17:31

tGreenWay wrote:

Spent fifteen years in the business.There’s absolutely no loyalty in radio, and there never has been. Minus the stroke, Foster’s description of his hatred for the job mirrored my own. I dreaded going in every day. Best decision I ever made was getting out. Went back to MSU, refocused my career trajectory, and never looked back.
The one thing that really stands out from Foster’s blog entry is that no one from his station went to visit him in the hospital. That’s disgusting.

Yeah, that blew me away too. Pretty cold.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-19, 17:33

That's not true, he said Wojo visited him. And though no longer in Detroit radio, Rob Parker visited him.

No mention of longtime partner and idol to some, Mike Valenti.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-08-19, 20:04

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That's not true, he said Wojo visited him. And though no longer in Detroit radio, Rob Parker visited him.

Newspaper guys... who happen to be radio guys.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-19, 20:10

tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t think him and Valenti got along. I follow Terry on twitter and I think the on air tension was real but I can’t comment much because I didn’t really listen to the show when he was on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-19, 21:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That's not true, he said Wojo visited him. And though no longer in Detroit radio, Rob Parker visited him.

Yeah, he must be referring to the strictly radio guys, cuz that’s what it said in the blog post. He’s exempting the guys from the newspaper. Unfortunately, pinheads like me interpreted that to mean everybody, and it casts a bad light on the people like Wojo.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-19, 21:33

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t think him and Valenti got along. I follow Terry on twitter and I think the on air tension was real but I can’t comment much because I didn’t really listen to the show when he was on.

IMO, it doesn’t matter if they didn’t get along. Maybe you don’t want to go there alone, so grab a couple others from the station and visit as a group. Would’ve cut down on the awkwardness. Instead, Valenti looks real bad, and deservedly so.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-19, 21:46

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

IMO, it doesn’t matter if they didn’t get along. Maybe you don’t want to go there alone, so grab a couple others from the station and visit as a group. Would’ve cut down on the awkwardness. Instead, Valenti looks real bad, and deservedly so.

10+ years ago when I used to commute, I would listen to them sometimes. They got along, they had a pretty good back and forth banter. They did stuff off the air together, they would talk about it. Mike was always making cracks about Terry's kids, Terry would crack on Mike for his intro to Bobby Williams in his Lansing radio days. It was fun. I don't know if it turned sour towards the end but you could kind of tell after Terry came back the relationship wasn't the same. Mike was kind of mean spirited towards him even. Whatever, Valenti is kind of a douche. The couple of times I met him he actually asked me about DWags when I told him who I was on the old board. Wags was actually in his head. lol. And that was before I even "e-knew" Wags like I do now.

I would be shocked if Valenti owns this. He will either ignore it, or more likely, come back with some kind of reason why it's Terry's fault.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-20, 12:47

Saw Sullivan tweet last night he regretted not going to the hospital to visit Terry and that they are going to meet for lunch soon.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-08-20, 13:44

Douchebag radio personality is a douchebag in real life. Story at 11.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-08-20, 15:44; edited 2 times in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 14:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

10+ years ago when I used to commute, I would listen to them sometimes. They got along, they had a pretty good back and forth banter. They did stuff off the air together, they would talk about it. Mike was always making cracks about Terry's kids, Terry would crack on Mike for his intro to Bobby Williams in his Lansing radio days. It was fun. I don't know if it turned sour towards the end but you could kind of tell after Terry came back the relationship wasn't the same. Mike was kind of mean spirited towards him even. Whatever, Valenti is kind of a douche. The couple of times I met him he actually asked me about DWags when I told him who I was on the old board. Wags was actually in his head. lol. And that was before I even "e-knew" Wags like I do now.

I would be shocked if Valenti owns this. He will either ignore it, or more likely, come back with some kind of reason why it's Terry's fault.

It’s possible the stroke changed Foster’s personality; that can and does happen. It can turn a previously nice person mean. It’s also possible Valenti didn’t think his partner was ready to return to the show, for whatever reason. Slurred speech and forgetfulness are post-stroke side effects, as is long term lost memory. And, like you said, it could just be Valenti being a douche and Terry was pissed his radio partner snubbed him during a huge crisis in his life. Hell if I know. Foster always seemed like a nice guy, and not many people I know have said that about Valenti.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-20, 14:36

tGreenWay wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

It’s possible the stroke changed Foster’s personality; that can and does happen. It can turn a previously nice person mean. It’s also possible Valenti didn’t think his partner was ready to return to the show, for whatever reason. Slurred speech and forgetfulness are post-stroke side effects, as is long term lost memory. And, like you said, it could just be Valenti being a douche and Terry was pissed his radio partner snubbed him during a huge crisis in his life. Hell if I know. Foster always seemed like a nice guy, and not many people I know have said that about Valenti.

I think they were just two very different people that clashed at times. I think they also respect the hell out of each other and are proud of what their show accomplished.

Also, just out of curiosity how much money does a host a guy like Wojo, Valenti or Foster make doing their sports radio shows? I'm guessing around 70 - 80k?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 14:44

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I think they were just two very different people that clashed at times. I think they also respect the hell out of each other and are proud of what their show accomplished.

Also, just out of curiosity how much money does a host a guy like Wojo, Valenti or Foster make doing their sports radio shows? I'm guessing around 70 - 80k?

No idea what they make, but I’d be surprised if Valenti made less than $100k, and not surprised if he made a lot more. I don’t know his numbers or going rates for Detroit radio, but the medium overall isn’t doing well and hasn’t been for a long time, and now covid. Add to that radio has always paid shit for dollars to most of the voices, which leaves a little more for the big draws.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 14:45

Hatch, I forgot to ask what your previous name was on TOB? And why was Valenti interested in DWags?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-20, 14:49

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

No idea what they make, but I’d be surprised if Valenti made less than $100k, and not surprised if he made a lot more. I don’t know his numbers or going rates for Detroit radio, but the medium overall isn’t doing well and hasn’t been for a long time, and now covid. Add to that radio has always paid shit for dollars to most of the voices, which leaves a little more for the big draws.

Huh, his advertisers always seem like local tax attorneys, body work shops and Tito’s. Seems like most of the ads are low budget and he has a four person staff on the show. I’m stunned over 100k but I will take your word for it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 15:00

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Huh, his advertisers always seem like local tax attorneys, body work shops and Tito’s. Seems like most of the ads are low budget and he has a four person staff on the show. I’m stunned over 100k but I will take your word for it.

I could be wrong. Like I said, I don’t know Detroit radio wages or Valenti’s numbers. Maybe it’s less.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-08-20, 15:19

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I could be wrong. Like I said, I don’t know Detroit radio wages or Valenti’s numbers. Maybe it’s less.

According to indeed.com

"The average salary for "sports radio" ranges from approximately $26,937 yearly for Host/Hostess to $99,534 yearly for Director."

For ESPN -

"Average ESPN hourly pay ranges from approximately $19.00 per hour for Associate to $92.81 per hour for Host/Hostess. The average ESPN salary ranges from approximately $37,178 per year for Associate to $60,000 per year for Host/Hostess."

This chat reminded me I have a friend in my circle that was a radio show host and I think the pay was unbelievably low. We are talking like Burger King Wages.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-20, 15:34

tGreenWay wrote:Hatch, I forgot to ask what your previous name was on TOB? And why was Valenti interested in DWags?

Everyone is interested in me. Ask your wife
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-20, 16:02

I do not even really remember, it was a long time ago, probably a decade plus.

Long story short, a couple of my single buddies are "regulars" at a bar in Royal Oak. I go out with them occasionally (or used to). We know the owner pretty well, they know most of the staff pretty well, etc. Valenti married a girl who used to be a server at this bar. Back in the day, whenever we would go in there would be kind of like a VIP table where we would sit and drink with the owner and a couple of the other regular types that were good friends with the owner. A few times Valenti was at that table sitting next to/across from me. I don't know how the board got brought up, we were probably BS'ing about MSU sports and it got into that. I do remember that as soon as that board came up one of the first things he started talking about was DWags because Wags used to harass him about saying that MSU hoops era was over in '03/'04ish.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-20, 16:04

BTW my buddy was "dating" MV's wife before he met her.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-20, 16:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I do not even really remember, it was a long time ago, probably a decade plus.

Long story short, a couple of my single buddies are "regulars" at a bar in Royal Oak. I go out with them occasionally (or used to). We know the owner pretty well, they know most of the staff pretty well, etc. Valenti married a girl who used to be a server at this bar. Back in the day, whenever we would go in there would be kind of like a VIP table where we would sit and drink with the owner and a couple of the other regular types that were good friends with the owner. A few times Valenti was at that table sitting next to/across from me. I don't know how the board got brought up, we were probably BS'ing about MSU sports and it got into that. I do remember that as soon as that board came up one of the first things he started talking about was DWags because Wags used to harass him about saying that MSU hoops era was over in '03/'04ish.

Some night when I’m drunk I’ll tell you why. Many people bugged him about that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 18:23

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I do not even really remember, it was a long time ago, probably a decade plus.

Some night when I’m drunk I’ll tell you why. Many people bugged him about that.

So, tonight then.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-20, 18:25

Hatch, are you saying you don’t remember your screen name over there? I mean, I don’t want to call you a liar in public, because your kids might stumble onto this site twenty years from now, but if the fib fits...
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-08-20, 19:41

tGreenWay wrote:Hatch, are you saying you don’t remember your screen name over there? I mean, I don’t want to call you a liar in public, because your kids might stumble onto this site twenty years from now, but if the fib fits...

I had many names, I had been over there since like 2000. My most recent before I came here was...WhiteBoyHatcher

Previously I remember I was Ezekiel P Jebediah and at one point Charles Rogers' Clavicle
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-20, 21:12

tGreenWay wrote:Hatch, are you saying you don’t remember your screen name over there? I mean, I don’t want to call you a liar in public, because your kids might stumble onto this site twenty years from now, but if the fib fits...

Roary
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-26, 15:00

Steve!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-10-26, 15:19

Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-26, 15:23

What’s up?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 15:32

steveschneider wrote:What’s up?

Nick Foles enormous schwanstucker and mike’s smelly ass.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-26, 15:44

tGreenWay wrote:

Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 502811600
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-26, 16:34

I have to hand it to Mike V thought his perspective was pretty good. Hey WBH he's lined up with you that it's going to take 3 years to turn this around. It's a rebuild the real measure of Mel's job is going to be how he recruits so that's where it's at.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-27, 14:43

tGreenWay wrote:

I have to hand it to Mike yesterday after a tough MSU loss he didn't tell his audience to take a whiff of his ass. He must be growing up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-27, 14:47

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I have to hand it to Mike yesterday after a tough MSU loss he didn't tell his audience to take a whiff of his ass. He must be growing up.

He’s got three years of new material and doesn’t want to alienate his listenership right off the top.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-27, 14:51

btw I found the video where he invites the listeners to take a whiff. I of course turned it off before he said it but it's right there at the beginning.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-11-02, 11:43

Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 276803595
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-11-02, 11:53

what time??

edit: 2pm-6pm est it looks like. noon here.

"GOOOOOOOOD AFTERNOOON!!!!!"
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-11-02, 14:03

This intro....Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-11-02, 14:12

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:This intro....Mike Valenti 2020 - Page 7 1966794946

Clown music and Michigan gets me every time
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next