Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+16
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Probably CF
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
Rocinante
NigelUno
Pervis Muldoon
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
20 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by tGreenWay Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:43 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Miami, did you ever watch Bridge of Spies? It’s a 2015 film from Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks. Really interesting and based on a true story. Apologies if we discussed this. I wasn’t in the mood to look back to see and I’m a forgetful old man.

Yes, I have. Really enjoyed it. It's been a few years, but have been meaning to watch again whenever I see it when scrolling whichever streaming service it's on. I forgot it was Spielberg, but then again he and Hanks do so much history stuff together that it makes sense.

It was so well done that I wasn’t surprised to see Spielberg’s name pop up at the credit roll. Not sure how this movie snuck past my wife and I, but better eight years late than never. Glad you liked it, and yes, it’s airing a lot on one of the channels right now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by DWags Wed May 03, 2023 2:46 am

The Plumbers.  HBO.

It’s a series that I thought I was looking forward to. Woody Harrelson plays Howard Hunt. It’s kind of a docucomedy   Hunt and G Gordon Liddy are complete  idiots in it.  I guess I’ll watch part two it’s not great, but have some funny things in it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri May 05, 2023 11:44 pm

So I'm starting to watch The Diplomat on Netflix. Heard from different people it was pretty good. (Ep 2, so far good)...
BUT, the guy that plays the PM was also the PM on Ep 1 of the Black Mirror. Distracting. pig🐖🐽
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat May 06, 2023 12:36 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So I'm starting to watch The Diplomat on Netflix. Heard from different people it was pretty good. (Ep 2, so far good)...
BUT, the guy that plays the PM was also the PM on Ep 1 of the Black Mirror. Distracting. pig🐖🐽

Very good. Modern day GoT without the swords and stuff. Just finished it.  Was also going to recommend.

SPOILER ALERT: Don't click until you finish the series:
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat May 06, 2023 12:42 am

Shrink is pretty funny. I didn't like first episode and bailed. But twife kept going.  Caught a few later episodes while she was watching and started to like it. Some of the characters make me laugh.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat May 06, 2023 5:31 pm

DWags wrote:The Plumbers.  HBO.

It’s a series that I thought I was looking forward to. Woody Harrelson plays Howard Hunt. It’s kind of a docucomedy   Hunt and G Gordon Liddy are complete  idiots in it.  I guess I’ll watch part two it’s not great, but have some funny things in it.

Not sure it’s intended to be comedic, but those two were such laughable buffoons IRL that it comes off that way.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun May 07, 2023 2:34 pm

The Permit outlaw. Netflix.

Dude is a farmer from DeWitt.  Steve Glew.

“The Pez Outlaw” follows the story of Steve Glew, a small-town Michagander, who made 4.3 million dollars smuggling knock-off Pez dispensers from Europe and selling them in the United States.

Son helped him.  His son is wearing an MSU cap in the Documentary
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun May 14, 2023 10:29 pm

Renfield was cute for all the bloody mess.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun May 14, 2023 11:02 pm

DWags wrote:The Permit outlaw. Netflix.

Dude is a farmer from DeWitt.  Steve Glew.

“The Pez Outlaw” follows the story of Steve Glew, a small-town Michagander, who made 4.3 million dollars smuggling knock-off Pez dispensers from Europe and selling them in the United States.

Son helped him.  His son is wearing an MSU cap in the Documentary

Saw that one. Crazy story. Recommend as well.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun May 14, 2023 11:03 pm

We should to merge this with the Netflix thread. They are basically the same thing. I'm always confused which one to post in.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun May 14, 2023 11:10 pm

Yeah, kinda agree, but the movie I posted about isn't streaming yet... so?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 pm

SISU....

Whole thing is fucking awesome.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu May 18, 2023 10:09 pm

Nordic wrote:We should to merge this with the Netflix thread. They are basically the same thing. I'm always confused which one to post in.

Another sign you’ve reached old age, pops.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri May 19, 2023 12:13 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:We should to merge this with the Netflix thread. They are basically the same thing. I'm always confused which one to post in.

Hey pal, I dare you to cross this line
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri May 19, 2023 3:14 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:SISU....

Whole thing is fucking awesome.

landmine to the head tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 6 1550444538 lol! lol! lol!
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri May 19, 2023 4:06 pm

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don’t call me pal, guy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri May 19, 2023 4:06 pm

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Also, I’m too old to see any line.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:49 pm

Went and saw the new and final Indiana Jones and thought hmm that was pretty good and way better than the last one which was the crystal one in South America or whatever

Last edited by aualum06 on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

tGreenWay and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:00 pm

aualum06 wrote:Went and saw the new and final Indiana Jones and thought hmm that was pretty good and way better than the last.one which was the crystal one in South America or whatever

I’ve probably seen the OG more than any other movie. As a kid the summer of ‘81 it was the thing to do.

The other two were alright. Looking forward to it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:53 pm

aualum06 wrote:Went and saw the new and final Indiana Jones and thought hmm that was pretty good and way better than the last one which was the crystal one in South America or whatever

That’s good news. Crystal Skull was awful.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:21 pm

Gees... Astroid City... uh, not sure what to say. Not great. Very artsy fartsy. You really got to be in a mood to make this not horrible.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:17 pm

Amazon Prime & Hulu have 5 seasons of Line of Duty about an anti-corruption unit in a British police department. Easy season has a conclusion and a few carryovers to the next .  Episodes are about 50 minutes.

Balthazar (French w/subtitles)on AmazonPrime  is also entertaining.

Since the actors have joined the writers who were already on strike, I know I’ll be watching more older movies I may have overlooked plus more foreign produced TV.  

The only things saving networks this fall will be college and NFL football.  Won’t be shocked to see some TV shows that scheduled to return go away because actors go to the theater or Broadway and are no longer available.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:39 pm

Mrs Davis on peacock... wow. Good show. Unique and original. Some new shows ARE created every once in a while, apparently.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:49 am

aualum06 wrote:Went and saw the new and final Indiana Jones and thought hmm that was pretty good and way better than the last one which was the crystal one in South America or whatever

Just saw on cnn the amount of AI used for this show and Harrison Ford. Pretty crazy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:42 pm

Happened upon a movie labeled comedy from 2010 called Rubber. It’s about an old tire that comes to life and discovers it has the power to blow things up, including bottles, animals, and people. Then it becomes obsessed with a woman and starts following her. Don’t have time to watch the rest, but this is one of the weirdest fucking movies I’ve seen in years. It’s gotta be a mind-fuck on late night tv with some weed in your system. lol

EDIT: I couldn’t leave this mess of a movie. It’s an obvious metaphor complete with Greek chorus I won’t bother to go into here, but this should’ve become a late night cult classic. It’s so bad it’s fantastic.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:11 am

tGreenWay wrote:Happened upon a movie labeled comedy from 2010 called Rubber. It’s about an old tire that comes to life and discovers it has the power to blow things up, including bottles, animals, and people. Then it becomes obsessed with a woman and starts following her. Don’t have time to watch the rest, but this is one of the weirdest fucking movies I’ve seen in years. It’s gotta be a mind-fuck on late night tv with some weed in your system. lol

EDIT: I couldn’t leave this mess of a movie. It’s an obvious metaphor complete with Greek chorus I won’t bother to go into here, but this should’ve become a late night cult classic. It’s so bad it’s fantastic.

The story of a sentient, telekinetic, homicidal tire is a tale as old as time, but Rubber still manages to feel different. Four lugnuts!
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:51 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Happened upon a movie labeled comedy from 2010 called Rubber. It’s about an old tire that comes to life and discovers it has the power to blow things up, including bottles, animals, and people. Then it becomes obsessed with a woman and starts following her. Don’t have time to watch the rest, but this is one of the weirdest fucking movies I’ve seen in years. It’s gotta be a mind-fuck on late night tv with some weed in your system. lol

The story of a sentient, telekinetic, homicidal tire is a tale as old as time, but Rubber still manages to feel different. Four lugnuts!

It was at once impressive that a tire could rent a motel room and horrifying that it would be so openly hostile to the housekeeper. If it didn’t have cash for a small gratuity then it shouldn’t have taken the room in the first place. Historic and firmly established social protocols were violated.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:40 pm

Champions on prime.

Cute af.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:12 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

That’s good news. Crystal Skull was awful.

Sorry, I felt it was in line with the other Indiana Jones movies.

If you have seen the Spielberg created "biopic" you can see he has always been a big of a smart alec.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:33 pm

Watching Justified....

fuck Elmore Leonard stories were good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:25 am

Have we discussed "Barbie"?

Dang, I thought it was good. Not sure how kids would enjoy it, other than the pretty colors I guess. I do know a couple young adults that should learn a lesson or two from it.
Plus "Closer to fine" in it multiple times.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:33 am

Dark Winds on AMC....👍🏼👍🏼
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:53 pm

No one will save you - hulu
Sci Fi/horror with no dialog.
Anyone?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:53 am

It has only taken me 12 years to get around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If you like murder mysteries, this is a good one. I enjoyed it enough that I now want to read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. If you haven’t seen it but plan to, heads up on a couple sex assault scenes and Rooney Mara’s tits in others.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:22 am

tGreenWay wrote:It has only taken me 12 years to get around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If you like murder mysteries, this is a good one. I enjoyed it enough that I now want to read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. If you haven’t seen it but plan to, heads up on a couple sex assault scenes and Rooney Mara’s tits in others.
There's also a film trilogy in Swedish. I liked the Liam Neeson one, and wanted more, so I watched that and enjoyed it. I think the Swedish versions are, or have been on Tubi, Prime, and others. Not sure where they are now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:58 am

Leave the world behind. Netflix, C+ ?

Esmail is good with the creepy, but the premise is a bit goofy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:09 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:It has only taken me 12 years to get around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If you like murder mysteries, this is a good one. I enjoyed it enough that I now want to read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. If you haven’t seen it but plan to, heads up on a couple sex assault scenes and Rooney Mara’s tits in others.
There's also a film trilogy in Swedish. I liked the Liam Neeson one, and wanted more, so I watched that and enjoyed it. I think the Swedish versions are, or have been on Tubi, Prime, and others. Not sure where they are now.

I assume there are subtitles or do I have to sign up for Babbel before watching them? Wink
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:26 am

Okay, so, this recommendation is something of a departure from what I’ve recommended previously:

Bank of Dave is a fun little movie that’s not a heavyweight film and is more feel good than anything, but I really liked it.
It’s based on what the producers called a true-ish story. A rich guy in a small northern England town has used his own money as loans to people who needed seed cash to invest in things that would ultimately benefit the entire community. Based on the needs of the people in his town, Dave wants to open a bank that serves really only as a lender for local projects. The problem is, the banking industry in England hasn’t allowed a new bank in ages, and the ones that do exist are all run by wealthy insiders. A London lawyer who is hired by Dave is supposed to tell him he has no chance, but is impressed not only by Dave but by the people of Dave’s town.
Like I said, it’s a fun little movie and worth a watch. On Netflix (and I think for rent on Prime).
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:25 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Leave the world behind. Netflix, C+ ?

Esmail is good with the creepy, but the premise is a bit goofy.

I guess C+ is fair, maybe a little generous. Waste of a lot of good talent, they couldn't save it. I mean, two random Swill posters as lead actors wouldn't have made it any worse.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:52 am

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I assume there are subtitles or do I have to sign up for Babbel before watching them? Wink
Subtitles, but they may having dubbed. I don't like watching foreign films with dubbing though. The across often suck. I prefer the original audio with subtitles.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next