Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

+45
TrapperGus
Dendrobates
Motown Spartan
MattyFresh
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
Banks2Mason
NigelUno
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
tGreenWay
aualum06
Townie
Cameron
AvgMSUJoe
SPARTASOTAN
Three_Putt_Par
Code_Warrior
Rocinante
cardinal fang
WBill
Mentalstate
Chief Sparty
Duke Silver
Heat Miser
Jethro Bodeen
dubie7006
Munn Field
Wally Fairway
By-Tor
DWags
The Pantry
InTenSity
Turtleneck
TrueGreenSpartan
Blanch32
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
49 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 14 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by DWags 2022-04-25, 14:06

I think up north starts exactly where Bob decides to stop driving on 75 North. Mark that location and we have our answer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 14 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-25, 15:11

DWags wrote:I think up north starts exactly where Bob decides to stop driving on 75 North. Mark that location and we have our answer.

I thought we decided on the Bob scale, it was somewhere north of Bath but south of Sleepy Hollow State Park... So like Laingsburg.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-04-25, 15:20

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
DWags wrote:I think up north starts exactly where Bob decides to stop driving on 75 North. Mark that location and we have our answer.

I thought we decided on the Bob scale, it was somewhere north of Bath but south of Sleepy Hollow State Park... So like Laingsburg.
how about that little convenience store on Round Lake Road right by the lake?

seems like a good line of demarcation.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-04-25, 17:49

I hate that this thread is still alive.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-04-25, 17:51

Rocinante wrote:I hate that this thread is still alive.

It's a great thread, just in search of better direction.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-25, 17:57

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I hate that this thread is still alive.

Just waiting to find the right place to end it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-04-25, 18:01

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Just waiting to find the right place to end it.

I'm waiting for it to start
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-04-25, 18:10

It’s terrible because there’s only one right answer.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-25, 18:16

Rocinante wrote:It’s terrible because there’s only one right answer.
Right, Pinnconning.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-25, 18:27

For those who’ve forgotten: Clare is the Gateway to the North, therefore, anywhere due north of Clare is Up North. Here endeth the lesson.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-25, 18:28

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Rocinante wrote:It’s terrible because there’s only one right answer.
Right, Pinnconning.

And the home of a mighty fine cheese, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-25, 19:43

tGreenWay wrote:For those who’ve forgotten: Clare is the Gateway to the North, therefore, anywhere due north of Clare is Up North. Here endeth the lesson.

That's really far south.

And, St Louis is the gateway to the west but is not, in fact, the west.  Therefore, Clare is not, in fact, the north.

Last edited by Motown Spartan on 2022-04-26, 06:06; edited 1 time in total
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-04-25, 23:42

I’m not telling you again because none of you appreciate objective truth.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-04-26, 00:00

tGreenWay wrote:For those who’ve forgotten: Clare is the Gateway to the North, therefore, anywhere due north of Clare is Up North. Here endeth the lesson.

No it's not. A simple declaration does not make it so. Grow up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-26, 03:52

Motown Spartan wrote:

That's really far south.

And, St Louis is the gateway to the west but is not, in fact, the west.  Therefore, Clare is not, in fact, the gateway to the north.

You want to edit your post, Motown, cuz it doesn’t make sense.
Meanwhile, I stand by my previous statement(s).
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-26, 03:52

Turtleneck wrote:

You grow up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-26, 06:06

tGreenWay wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

That's really far south.

And, St Louis is the gateway to the west but is not, in fact, the west.  Therefore, Clare is not, in fact, the north.

You want to edit your post, Motown, cuz it doesn’t make sense.
Meanwhile, I stand by my previous statement(s).

Fixed. You can stand by your incorrect statement all you want.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-04-26, 06:12

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

You grow up.

Please grow your horrible opinion north.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-04-26, 08:00

Didn't we decide a long time ago that Dewitt is up north?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-26, 08:47

So, really the answer should be where rental and vacation homes out number permanent full time residents around the nearest lake.

Seems like someone should be able to run a report on some database for that.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-04-26, 14:27

Jake from State Farm wrote:Didn't we decide a long time ago that Dewitt is up north?

If Bob has been there it’s not up north. Bob often visits DeWitt. He has summer home in DeWitt on a ditch often filled with stale rain water. It’s beautiful.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-04-26, 14:54

Mio is nice.. though it might be a little too diverse.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-04-26, 15:49

I've hardlined for the Bridge for years. After thinking about it, I'm willing to make a concession.

The 45th Parallel. It is honored on every major highway headed north. That line grants some quality northern L.P. towns (Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, Bellaire, Alpena, Leland, etc) Up North status while excluding poser towns like Traverse City, Grayling, Ludington, Clare, etc.

Besides, only a tiny amount of the U.P. is below the 45th. That portion doesn't count as up north either.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-26, 16:11

The Pantry wrote:I've hardlined for the Bridge for years. After thinking about it, I'm willing to make a concession.

The 45th Parallel. It is honored on every major highway headed north. That line grants some quality northern L.P. towns (Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, Bellaire, Alpena, Leland, etc) Up North status while excluding poser towns like Traverse City, Grayling, Ludington, Clare, etc.

Besides, only a tiny amount of the U.P. is below the 45th. That portion doesn't count as up north either.

You’re a great Spartan Swiller, Pantry.
After giving this a great deal of consideration, and in the interest of maintaining a collegial Swill, I’m willing to drop my lifelong insistence of Clare as the Gateway to the North and my once firmly held belief that anything north of Clare is Up North.
Moving forward, I am joining Pantry in recognizing the 45th Parallel as the line of demarcation separating lower Michigan from Up North. If Pantry is willing to make concessions, I am, too, and I hope more will join us.
Compromise is not a bad word. It’s how things get done.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-26, 16:14

Turtleneck wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:Didn't we decide a long time ago that Dewitt is up north?

If Bob has been there it’s not up north. Bob often visits DeWitt. He has summer home in DeWitt on a ditch often filled with stale rain water. It’s beautiful.

We learn something new every day. Here I thought Bob summered on Lake Interstate.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-26, 16:28

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I've hardlined for the Bridge for years. After thinking about it, I'm willing to make a concession.

You’re a great Spartan Swiller, Pantry.
After giving this a great deal of consideration, and in the interest of maintaining a collegial Swill, I’m willing to drop my lifelong insistence of Clare as the Gateway to the North and my once firmly held belief that anything north of Clare is Up North.
Moving forward, I am joining Pantry in recognizing the 45th Parallel as the line of demarcation separating lower Michigan from Up North. If Pantry is willing to make concessions, I am, too, and I hope more will join us.
Compromise is not a bad word. It’s how things get done.

Does the entire town have to lie north of the 45? I believe the southern part of Gaylord is south of the 45th. Maybe that makes Gaylord the Gateway to the North.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-26, 16:40

Gonna need some cut outs for Elk Rapids, Alden, Glen Arbor, Frankfort, Beulah...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-04-26, 16:59

NigelUno wrote:

Gonna need some cut outs for Elk Rapids, Alden, Glen Arbor, Frankfort, Beulah...
Glen Arbor and The Homestead are really difficult being near the border
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-04-26, 17:43

Clare is a poser town? Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 14 502811600
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-04-26, 18:48

duffy munn wrote:

Clare is a poser town? Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 14 502811600
Whomever in Clare was responsible for erecting that sign was taking advantage of I-75 not yet being completed years back. Without taking detours from Lansing or the Detroit area to northern MI, all traffic had to see that stupid sign.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-04-26, 21:48

I keep almost engaging in this inane thread. What is wrong with me.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-26, 21:56

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Whomever in Clare was responsible for erecting that sign was taking advantage of I-75 not yet being completed years back. Without taking detours from Lansing or the Detroit area to northern MI, all traffic had to see that stupid sign.

Clare used to be up north but modern highways and modern vehicles has moved that line farther north.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-27, 06:32

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Whomever in Clare was responsible for erecting that sign was taking advantage of I-75 not yet being completed years back. Without taking detours from Lansing or the Detroit area to northern MI, all traffic had to see that stupid sign.

Clare used to be up north but modern highways and modern vehicles has moved that line farther north.
This makes sense... when everyone drove 55 and couple hundred miles felt like a true journey, up north was closer.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-04-27, 10:12

Rocinante wrote:I keep almost engaging in this inane thread. What is wrong with me.
it's okay - we all have a fascination with the clippity-clop of the horses, the splish-splashing of the waves and the whispy pennyloafers dancing across the windswept veranda.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-04-27, 10:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I keep almost engaging in this inane thread. What is wrong with me.
it's okay - we all have a fascination with the clippity-clop of the horses, the splish-splashing of the waves and the whispy pennyloafers dancing across the windswept veranda.

Mackinac Island is definitely Up North.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-04-27, 10:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Some people like cruises, some like Mackinaw.

The SO is a big fan, so have been at the Grand quite a bit, but not since covid or the new owners. One plus, though for the price not so much, are open bar cocktail parties.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-04-27, 12:31

it's an interesting thread, that is for sure. i like to watch from afar.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-05-16, 10:35

Wildfire in Northern Michigan spreads over 2,710 acres, officials say

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/05/15/wildfire-in-nothern-michigan-spreads-over-2500-acres-officials-say/

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-05-16, 10:46

Turtleneck wrote:Wildfire in Northern Michigan spreads over 2,710 acres, officials say

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/05/15/wildfire-in-nothern-michigan-spreads-over-2500-acres-officials-say/

I wish clickondetroit understood basic map concepts, like how to make an inset map so you know roughly where the detail map is.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-05-16, 13:03

My dad and his buddies used to go up to Black River Ranch all the time hunting and whatever else they did up there. I assume most of those old fucks are dead now and it's been taken over by a younger generation.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next