Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

+26
Rodeo Burger
kingstonlake
MattyFresh
tbone12
Giant Moose
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
CheesySpartan
The_Dude
The Pantry
HT
Turtleneck
Duke Silver
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
Brock Middlebrook
SpartanInNH
Ass Dan
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
Dr. Strangelove
Floyd Robertson
30 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 Empty Re: MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

Post by Guest 2015-08-21, 15:28

Ex-MSU softball player makes first comment since report

In her first comments since investigators released their external report, former Michigan State softball player Alyssa McBride tells the Lansing State Journal she went public with her allegations against head coach Jacquie Joseph and assistant Jessica (Beech) Bograkos to make people “aware of the mistreatment and abuse that goes on within this program.”
McBride provided the LSJ with a letter detailing her response to a 98-page investigation MSU released Wednesday via the Freedom of Information Act. That report – which was written by Gerald J. Gleeson II of Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, the law firm retained by the school – portrayed McBride’s allegations of being hit intentionally twice during batting practice as “false, or at minimum, grossly exaggerated” and provided plenty of salacious claims against the former player and her family. It also cleared Joseph and Bograkos of any wrongdoing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 Empty Re: MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink?

Post by Guest 2016-05-11, 21:37

Young MSU riding surge into Big Ten softball tourney
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-12, 18:06

Chris Solari ‏@chrissolari 7m7 minutes ago
Errors end MSU's short stay in Big Ten softball tournament as Illinois rallies for 3-2 win. http://on.lsj.com/1TduSs7

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 CiSbeC8WgAA1WyI
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-01, 13:34

Opportunity lost long ago.

Being Hutch: The story behind Michigan's iconic coach, and what's next for Carol Hutchins

Michigan's Carol Hutchins is the NCAA's all-times winningest softball coach with a career record currently standing at 1,485-476-4.

Carol Hutchins signed a deal for roughly $15,000 in 1985. At 26 years old, she was the new softball coach at the University of Michigan. The contract stipulated she spend half the workweek on secretarial duties.

When not busy with the mimeograph, Hutchins tried to figure out how to coach. She was hired at U-M because her predecessor, Bob De Carolis, didn't see college softball as a viable career. In reality, at the time, he was right, but Title IX was beginning to knock over the scaffolding of collegiate athletics. Rabble-rousers like Hutchins – who as a student-athlete at Michigan State in the late 1970s sued her own athletic department for Title IX violations, and won – did the kicking.

Hutchins is now paid nearly $230,000 annually. The coach who had to water the field herself at U-M in the mid-1980s runs a program operating out of a $5.5 million facility in 2016.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-01, 14:03

Seriously can we fire this train wreck now or is hollis too scared?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-01, 14:05

Blanch32 wrote:Seriously can we fire this train wreck now or is hollis too scared?

Your assumption is Hollis gives a fuck. I'm pretty sure he either doesn't care or doesn't think a coaching change will make a difference.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-01, 14:07

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:Seriously can we fire this train wreck now or is hollis too scared?

Your assumption is Hollis gives a fuck. I'm pretty sure he either doesn't care or doesn't think a coaching change will make a difference.

He bougot her a brand new stadium....so it should. Hell, worked for the baseball team
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-01, 14:27

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Between the BTN money and Hollis desire to keep Ambassador and Mrs. Secchia happy I think you are spot on. Joseph has 2 important fans in the Secchia's and she'll be allowed to make excuses until she retires when I suspect she'll be replaced by former player and current asst Bograkos who was at the center of last year's investigation being the batting practice pitcher allegedly throwing at certain players.

Its been a grease fire for over a decade and will continue to be one because after men's basketball, football and women's basketball coming in a distant 3rd, everything including ice hockey has very low expectations.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-15, 05:11

MSU softball coach Joseph gets new three-year deal

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-15, 06:35

Did she at least take a pay cut?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-15, 07:19

DWags wrote:Did she at least take a pay cut?

Doesn't say and who cares. This is all that matters (taken from a different article):

The Spartans finished 27-28 and 8-15 in the Big Ten this past season, Joseph's 23rd at the helm of the program. Joseph is 634-656-1 at MSU with nine winning seasons, though none since 2007.

MSU: Where We Demand Excellence (except in softball).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-15, 07:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:Did she at least take a pay cut?

Doesn't say and who cares. This is all that matters (taken from a different article):

The Spartans finished 27-28 and 8-15 in the Big Ten this past season, Joseph's 23rd at the helm of the program. Joseph is 634-656-1 at MSU with nine winning seasons, though none since 2007.

MSU: Where We Demand Excellence (except in softball).

22 years a below .500 record an expiring contract. What am I missing?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-15, 08:00

When it comes to softball I've come to the conclusion that so long as former Ambassador and Mrs. Secchia want Joseph coaching at the softball stadium named after them Hollis will agree.
MSU softball helps pump up the graduating athletes numbers and fulfills MSU's team participation obligation to the Big Ten so the athletic department can get the big annual BTN check as a member of the conference.

Last night when I saw the report it reminded me of the after hours press releases that are common practice in aa when bad news is announced. I guess it is possible that Hollis made some inquiries about a coaching change and found that no one wants a job with a program that's FUBAR. Maybe it's bad timing but why not announce or even give the extension a few weeks later after the news of Ron Mason's death isn't the biggest news about MSU sport. It's not like other schools were lining up to give Joseph offers and "steal " her from MSU.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-15, 08:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:MSU softball coach Joseph gets new three-year deal

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 502811600

Pathetic.

If not revenue, fuck winning, sleep with a major donar. That's how it works at msu. So fucking sad
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-15, 08:18

GRR Spartan wrote:When it comes to softball I've come to the conclusion that so long as former Ambassador and Mrs. Secchia want Joseph coaching at the softball stadium named after them Hollis will agree.
MSU softball helps pump up the graduating athletes numbers and fulfills MSU's team participation obligation to the Big Ten so the athletic department can get the big annual BTN check as a member of the conference.

Last night when I saw the report it reminded me of the after hours press releases that are common practice in aa when bad news is announced. I guess it is possible that Hollis made some inquiries about a coaching change and found that no one wants a job with a program that's FUBAR. Maybe it's bad timing but why not announce or even give the extension a few weeks later after the news of Ron Mason's death isn't the biggest news about MSU sport. It's not like other schools were lining up to give Joseph offers and "steal " her from MSU.

We have a new stadium, explain to me how fubar? Methinks it's the coach. It has to be. Guarantee another coach can still suck and get kids with good grades
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-06-15, 08:20

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 W-golf-14-big-ten-champions

MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 W-xc-14-natl-champions
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-15, 09:00

Blanch32 wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:When it comes to softball I've come to the conclusion that so long as former Ambassador and Mrs. Secchia want Joseph coaching at the softball stadium named after them Hollis will agree.  
MSU softball helps pump up the graduating athletes numbers and fulfills MSU's team participation obligation to the Big Ten  so the athletic department can get the big annual BTN check as a member of the conference.  

Last night when I saw the report it reminded me of the after hours press releases that are common practice in aa when bad news is announced.  I guess it is possible that Hollis made some inquiries about a coaching change and found that no one wants a job with a program that's FUBAR.   Maybe it's bad timing but why not announce or even give the extension a few weeks later after the news of Ron Mason's death isn't the biggest news about MSU sport.  It's not like other schools were lining up to give Joseph offers and "steal " her from MSU.

We have a new stadium,  explain to me how fubar?  Methinks it's the coach.  It has to be.  Guarantee another coach can still suck and get kids with good grades

FUBAR because among the coaching community Joseph has dug such a hole from a recruiting standpoint who wants to take the job.  Like any scholarship sport, the coaching fraternity is a small universe.  The new stadium is nice but how many years will it take a new coach to turn around the mindset of HS and travel ball coaches / players that MSU gives a damn.  MSU softball has seen quality instate and Midwest  recruits chose to play their college ball at CMU, WMU, IU and even GVSU and more recently SVSU for more than 10 years.  There are players who have chosen to be be walkons in aa or South Bend rather than accept an MSU softball scholarship.  Giving Joseph a 3 year extension shows on top of the recruiting hurdles the AD doesn't give a damn about winning.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-06-15, 10:07

GRR Spartan wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

We have a new stadium,  explain to me how fubar?  Methinks it's the coach.  It has to be.  Guarantee another coach can still suck and get kids with good grades

FUBAR because among the coaching community Joseph has dug such a hole from a recruiting standpoint who wants to take the job.  Like any scholarship sport, the coaching fraternity is a small universe.  The new stadium is nice but how many years will it take a new coach to turn around the mindset of HS and travel ball coaches / players that MSU gives a damn.  MSU softball has seen quality instate and Midwest  recruits chose to play their college ball at CMU, WMU, IU and even GVSU and more recently SVSU for more than 10 years.  There are players who have chosen to be be walkons in aa or South Bend rather than accept an MSU softball scholarship.  Giving Joseph a 3 year extension shows on top of the recruiting hurdles the AD doesn't give a damn about winning.

Simple: hire any one of those coaches, and see how it goes. You act as if barriers to entry for women's softball are insurmountable. Hell, our football team just played for the natty, so that excuse is gone for all sports
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-15, 10:40

I'm not one to say I know what the hell is going on, but to say nobody will want to take the job might be a stretch. Hollis seems to be running a decent program, but my god, from the outside this move seems to be just plain weird. Our baseball team took a uofM assistant and has started to look better. I just don't believe there isn't a young assistant coach somewhere that would be willing to take this on. From Central, From OSU, From Indiana, anywhwere. Become a head coach, do what you can.

Three more years now. I've never followed Softball until the controversy last year, but it seems, from the outside, we should be able to do better. Hollis obviously disagrees.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-15, 10:55

I tend to think all the focus is on FB and BB. It appears Hollis just wants to tread water in the other sports. Look at hockey.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-12-10, 05:31

Joseph Enters NFCA Hall of Fame

Pioneer category, not for team performance MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-21, 18:10

Michigan State‏ @Michigan_State 1h1 hour ago
More
Michigan State softball: What a difference five years makes http://bit.ly/2q7fqUQ #Spartans
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-22, 12:01

@ tOSU on BTN right now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-12, 08:42

May 11 highlights of scUm ass whooping.
The interview at the end was pretty fun.

https://youtu.be/cdFXZje5Hxc
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-05-12, 17:27

SawGreen wrote:May 11 highlights of scUm ass whooping.

Go White
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-12, 19:01

SawGreen wrote:May 11 highlights of scUm ass whooping.

Coach Joseph 4 Life with that victory MSU Softball troubles - coach on the brink? - Page 6 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-12, 19:10

Currently losing 2-0 in first to northwestern
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-12, 19:23

4-0.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-12, 21:33

11-0 final
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-13, 09:59

So I watched a total of one game this year and just turned on the score a couple times yesterday. I have to say it was fun watching them beat Michigan. They were having so much fun.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-06, 07:54

2019 B1G Softball Tournament

We have a coach-for-life who can't even get MSU into the tournament. SMH.

I'm not sure how the conference tournament doesn't include all conference teams but we figured out a way to miss it by going 4-18 lol.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-06, 12:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:2019 B1G Softball Tournament

I'm not sure how the conference tournament doesn't include all conference teams but we figured out a way to miss it by going 4-18 lol.

I still think it’s about money. A new coach will expect certain changes/additions to be made, all of which will cost dollars the department doesn’t want to allocate for a non-rev sport. This is more of the amateur, intercollegiate sport old-timey purists like Travis prefer and love.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-06, 12:32

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:2019 B1G Softball Tournament

I still think it’s about money. A new coach will expect certain changes/additions to be made, all of which will cost dollars the department doesn’t want to allocate for a non-rev sport. This is more of the amateur, intercollegiate sport old-timey purists like Travis prefer and love.

I thought Secchia already dropped a bunch of money on the program for facility improvements?

EDIT: I haven't been on that part of campus since 2008, so I'm sure what the field is like these days.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-06, 17:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I thought Secchia already dropped a bunch of money on the program for facility improvements?

EDIT: I haven't been on that part of campus since 2008, so I'm sure what the field is like these days.

He did lay out money to upgrade the women’s diamond. It’s nice, as is the new(ish) baseball facilities known as Kobs Field at McLane Stadium.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-02-14, 10:40

Jacqui Joseph's job is safe for another three decades.

[tw]1492994443426906113[/tw]

Congrats to Ashley Miller!
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6