Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second Stimulus and MSM coverage

+14
DWags
Motown Spartan
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
18 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Second Stimulus and MSM coverage - Page 5 Empty Re: Second Stimulus and MSM coverage

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-03, 13:16

Cam. Relax.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Second Stimulus and MSM coverage - Page 5 Empty Re: Second Stimulus and MSM coverage

Post by Cameron 2021-02-03, 13:33

Rocinante wrote:
Cameron wrote:How close together do stimulus payments need to be to add together? Why doesn't the 1200 we got in July or whenever add to the 600, so we would then only need 200 more to get to 2000? Or do they not add together if they're six months apart, but they do add together if they're four months apart?

This is fucking dumb, just make it 2000. Democrats are the party of overpromising and underdelivering.

I’d rather they get Man Chin and Cinnamon on board and get the thing passed through budget reconciliation because demanding the perfect in leu of the good dooms the whole package to requiring Republican votes that aren’t coming.
Budget reconciliation is pretty clearly the only way anything is going to get done, so we're in agreement there. Just do 2000 instead of 1400. Is the 600 dollar difference the end of the world? Of course not. But it shouldn't really be any harder to do 2000 than it is to do 1400, and I feel strongly it would be better for general Democrat approval ratings, to say nothing of the benefits to struggling Americans.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-02-03, 13:58

Cameron wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I’d rather they get Man Chin and Cinnamon on board and get the thing passed through budget reconciliation because demanding the perfect in leu of the good dooms the whole package to requiring Republican votes that aren’t coming.
Budget reconciliation is pretty clearly the only way anything is going to get done, so we're in agreement there. Just do 2000 instead of 1400. Is the 600 dollar difference the end of the world? Of course not. But it shouldn't really be any harder to do 2000 than it is to do 1400, and I feel strongly it would be better for general Democrat approval ratings, to say nothing of the benefits to struggling Americans.

I agree with you but I also say the party is slave to what those two will be willing to do, so if they won’t, the party needs to move on and get it done.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 07:24

The far left needs to be clear that they want $2000 + $600. Their math sucks. Also, it’s going to be fun to watch them implode when they get $1400 + $600.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 07:25

kingstonlake wrote:Cam. Relax.

He wants his $2600 stimulus money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-04, 07:35

steveschneider wrote:

He does seem a little hyper focused. I'm not gonna be trigger fingered on this issue. There's so much more at stake.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-02-04, 09:49

steveschneider wrote:The far left Joe biden one month ago needs to be clear that they want $2000 + $600. Their math sucks. Also, it’s going to be fun to watch them implode when they get $1400 + $600.

Fixed that little guy for you. It’s not the far left that got off message for what they were actually trying to do like you like to pretend.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-02-04, 09:52

For the record I only got about 30% of the last stimulus and it looks like I’ll get a lower percentage of the next one. It isn’t about self interest, I just think there are a lot of people out there that really really desperately need it and democrats should come through for them instead of squabbling about stupid shit. 2000, 2600, whatever you want to call it, is also woefully inadequate. 1400, is just even more woefully inadequate than 2000 is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 10:01

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:The far left Joe biden one month ago needs to be clear that they want $2000 + $600. Their math sucks. Also, it’s going to be fun to watch them implode when they get $1400 + $600.

Fixed that little guy for you. It’s not the far left that got off message for what they were actually trying to do like you like to pretend.

Joe was referring to $600 + $1400.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 10:02

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

He does seem a little hyper focused. I'm not gonna be trigger fingered on this issue. There's so much more at stake.

If they wanted to $2600 they should have been up front. It just seems shady and dishonest to get the $600 and be like where's my $2000?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-02-04, 10:04

steveschneider wrote:

He wasn’t. You know he wasn’t. He said “we’ll get 2000 checks out the door if you elect these guys” $600 had already gone out. That is not how words work steve and you know it. If your boss did that you’d have plenty of reason to sue for the money the said they’d give you.

Also there is no reason for you to want it to be any different other than your belief that you have to defend papa biden no matter how wrong he is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-02-04, 10:06

That’s all this argument comes down to. A certain segment of people here will make any leap no matter how illogical to defend their chosen hero. It’s no different from trump super fans doing the same. There’s no arguing these people off their perch that papa biden can do no wrong
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-04, 10:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That’s all this argument comes down to. A certain segment of people here will make any leap no matter how illogical to defend their chosen hero. It’s no different from trump super fans doing the same. There’s no arguing these people off their perch that papa biden can do no wrong

You left out the demographic that was and is looking to justify jumping ship on the Biden presidency no matter what he does. They can't wait. God forbid he's actually successful. BuT I oNLy  GoT 1400 ANd nOT 2000! Let's not pretend they aren't out there.

The GOP is out there testing the perimeter.  Look at what they're not doing with that cu.nt Greene. Introducing laws to make it harder to vote in a ton of states.  invading DC. You had an elected official in the GOP support a person saying put a bullet in Pelosi's head. And theyre not gonna Do a thing about it. But yeah, lots quibble about $600.

I do agree on reducing the stimulus threshold and giving that to people who need it. But man there's so much more important things going on.  But we're a instant  gratification society I guess.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 10:37

steveschneider wrote:

He wasn’t. You know he wasn’t. He said “we’ll get 2000 checks out the door if you elect these guys” $600 had already gone out. That is not how words work steve and you know it. If your boss did that you’d have plenty of reason to sue for the money the said they’d give you.

Also there is no reason for you to want it to be any different other than your belief that you have to defend papa biden no matter how wrong he is.

We get it the far left is trying to pull one over on us. You all want $2600.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 10:41

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That’s all this argument comes down to. A certain segment of people here will make any leap no matter how illogical to defend their chosen hero. It’s no different from trump super fans doing the same. There’s no arguing these people off their perch that papa biden can do no wrong

You left out the demographic that was and is looking to justify jumping ship on the Biden presidency no matter what he does. They can't wait. God forbid he's actually successful. BuT I oNLy  GoT 1400 ANd nOT 2000! Let's not pretend they aren't out there.

The GOP is out there testing the perimeter.  Look at what they're not doing with that cu.nt Greene. Introducing laws to make it harder to vote in a ton of states.  invading DC. You had an elected official in the GOP support a person saying put a bullet in Pelosi's head. And theyre not gonna Do a thing about it. But yeah, lots quibble about $600.

I do agree on reducing the stimulus threshold and giving that to people who need it. But man there's so much more important things going on.  But we're a instant  gratification society I guess.

Knowing all the threats to our democracy by racist fascists the day Biden was sworn in far left extremists went on a rampage in Portland and destroyed a Starbucks. Second Stimulus and MSM coverage - Page 5 502811600
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-02-04, 12:47

steveschneider wrote:

Of course I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a $2k check. So would you. Everyone likes getting money.

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I would and will be perfectly fine not getting any further stimulus. That's not why I have a hardon for this issue. I care because I don't want to see the Democrats step on their dicks so fucking soon after taking control. Dumbasses are still out there looking for any reason to vote R, and broken promises are as good a reason as any.

They were so explicitly clear in their promises in Georgia and the way they campaigned hard on that issue seemed to have been a pretty large factor in taking the Senate. "Vote for John and the reverend, and 2000 dollar checks will go out immediately!" There isn't any wiggle room there to send out 1400 dollar checks in a few months, there's no mention of 1400 or the 600 that already passed, just "$2000 checks." Not "$2000 payments," which would support the weaselly, ex post facto installment plan. $2k checks.

The only reason Republicans have any success with their wildly unpopular platform and ideology is that Democrats are feckless idiots who can never deliver.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-02-04, 13:48

Still no reason why it shouldn’t be an additional $2000 other than “papa biden doesn’t want to do that anymore so I don’t want him to anymore”

I’m sure you don’t want to say that that’s why. So give me something. Tell me that you’re suddenly overwhelmingly concerned about the deficit fake fiscal conservative style. Anything.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-02-04, 17:19

I’m not concerned at all about the deficit. I’m concerned about what gets it into reconciliation.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-04, 18:12

$1400
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-02-19, 11:52

Democrats shift Congress into top speed on Covid aid, but it may still be too slow for many

For proof of the political consequences that can bedevil a signature economic plan seen as insufficient, Biden need look no further than his own time as vice president. The Obama administration's $787 billion economic stimulus bill, signed into law on Feb. 17 of the new president's term, was later dinged as too small. But one veteran of that push said the best thing Biden's team can do to is keep pushing.

$1400
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-19, 17:11

Cameron wrote:Democrats shift Congress into top speed on Covid aid, but it may still be too slow for many

For proof of the political consequences that can bedevil a signature economic plan seen as insufficient, Biden need look no further than his own time as vice president. The Obama administration's $787 billion economic stimulus bill, signed into law on Feb. 17 of the new president's term, was later dinged as too small. But one veteran of that push said the best thing Biden's team can do to is keep pushing.

$1400

+ $600 Second Stimulus and MSM coverage - Page 5 969504605
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-04, 15:25

Dumbocrats gonna means test this shit now? Fuck everything blue.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-04, 15:51

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/us/politics/republicans-workers-covid-bill.html

"In Washington, as Democrats advance a nearly $2 trillion economic stimulus bill, they are facing universal opposition from congressional Republicans to the package, which is chock-full of measures to benefit struggling workers a full year into the coronavirus pandemic. The bill includes $1,400 checks to middle-income Americans and extended unemployment benefits, which are set to lapse on March 14."

If you win your wager tonight I hope you get a subscription to a reputable news organization.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-04, 16:07

Except they don't need the fucking Republicans. They are negotiating with themselves, and somehow still getting taken to the cleaners. Tell Joe Manchin to shove it and do what you promised the people of Georgia you were gonna do.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-04, 16:17

Cameron wrote:Except they don't need the fucking Republicans. They are negotiating with themselves, and somehow still getting taken to the cleaners. Tell Joe Manchin to shove it and do what you promised the people of Georgia you were gonna do.

I'll post the quote again.

"In Washington, as Democrats advance a nearly $2 trillion economic stimulus bill, they are facing universal opposition from congressional Republicans to the package, which is chock-full of measures to benefit struggling workers a full year into the coronavirus pandemic. The bill includes $1,400 checks to middle-income Americans and extended unemployment benefits, which are set to lapse on March 14."

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-04, 16:28

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:Except they don't need the fucking Republicans. They are negotiating with themselves, and somehow still getting taken to the cleaners. Tell Joe Manchin to shove it and do what you promised the people of Georgia you were gonna do.

I'll post the quote again.

It has passed the house. Now that they've axed the $15 minimum wage, the parliamentarian has said it can pass through the senate via budget reconciliation. They don't need any Republican votes for that. If there's another excerpt from your article that demonstrates some flaw in my logic, please share that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-04, 16:41

Pelosi spoke about the $15 min wage last week.

https://youtu.be/gwMXOUnFyNY

If she can’t get it done then no one can.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-04, 16:46

I don’t understand why you are so worked up. Every concern you have it sounds like they are working on. All we need is a little patience!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-03-04, 19:23

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson forces Senate to read all 628 pages of Biden's COVID bill aloud

Why didn't the Ds pull this stunt with the tax giveaway? That scam was over 1k pages IIRC.

Also, apparently without a hint of hypocrisy, Johnson said it was “important” to delay the process and read the bill aloud because "so often we rush these massive bills” which few lawmakers have time to read.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-03-04, 20:25

Heat Miser wrote:Republican Sen. Ron Johnson forces Senate to read all 628 pages of Biden's COVID bill aloud

Why didn't the Ds pull this stunt with the tax giveaway? That scam was over 1k pages IIRC.

Also, apparently without a hint of hypocrisy, Johnson said it was “important” to delay the process and read the bill aloud because "so often we rush these massive bills” which few lawmakers have time to read.

I cant imagine voting or being a part of a party that has the likes of Johnso Cruz et al in it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-03-04, 21:10

I really have never self identified as a Dem... But I know I will never, ever vote for an R.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-05, 06:07

Heat Miser wrote:Republican Sen. Ron Johnson forces Senate to read all 628 pages of Biden's COVID bill aloud

Was about to post a link to an article about this for Cameron but you beat me to it. GOP is doing everything possible to keep those checks from going out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-03-05, 06:18

Watching the news I saw the results of some poll that said 38% of people don't think this stimulus bill should pass. That's a lot of people who don't want $1400, I mean a lot of brainwashed republican voters.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-03-05, 06:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:Watching the news I saw the results of some poll that said 38% of people don't think this stimulus bill should pass. That's a lot of people who don't want $1400, I mean a lot of brainwashed republican voters.

I thought I'd seen polls that said 70% supported it, so 30% didn't. Either way, to be fair, they were against it even when Trump was pushing the $2,000 check. Or at least most of the R politicians were, not sure what the polls said.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-05, 17:13

[tw]1367608474625056772?s=20[/tw]
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-05, 18:43

Maybe I hang out in the wrong crowd. A single individual making over  80k needs a "survival" check?

Edit: I understand it's based off 2019 tax year earnings. If it's verfied they have lost their job, then yeah, it's needed.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-03-05, 18:49

kingstonlake wrote:Maybe I hang out in the wrong crowd. A single individual making over 80k needs a "survival" check?

Just because you made 80k in '20, doesn't mean you'll make 80k in '21. Certainly many folks who don't need the $ will get it anyway, but there aren't too many other ways to evaluate who gets $ quickly other than tax returns.

I think everything should flow thru the existing unemployment compensation infrastructure, but that has proven to be a shitshow in many states thanks to the Rs deliberate sabotage of those systems.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-03-05, 18:52

Heat Miser wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Maybe I hang out in the wrong crowd. A single individual making over 80k needs a "survival" check?

Just because you made 80k in '20, doesn't mean you'll make 80k in '21. Certainly many folks who don't need the $ will get it anyway, but there aren't too many other ways to evaluate who gets $ quickly other than tax returns.

I think everything should flow thru the existing unemployment compensation infrastructure, but that has proven to be a shitshow in many states thanks to the Rs deliberate sabotage of those systems.

Seems like it would be easy to identify anyone who's currently in the unemployment system.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-03-05, 19:00

steveschneider wrote:

Was about to post a link to an article about this for Cameron but you beat me to it. GOP is doing everything possible to keep those checks from going out.

Now if it was more money for their campaign donor billionaire friends and also involved a tax cut for them this would have been a done deal months ago.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-07, 12:14

steveschneider wrote:

Manchin dismisses concerns that he would have tanked relief package

A deal came together Friday, with Democrats agreeing to trim unemployment benefits to $300 a week through Labor Day — as opposed to $400 a week through August in the version of the bill passed earlier by the House. And the Senate then passed the bill 50-49 on strictly partisan lines Saturday after a marathon overnight session.
What do you know? They didn't need or get a single Republican on board. So it looks like my assertion that they were negotiating with themselves was right on the money. As was my position that they should have told Joe Manchin to shove it.

Manchin is quickly becoming one of my most despised political figures. Fuck that guy.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next