Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Deer Hunting Thread.

+34
steveschneider
tGreenWay
pulling69
Senior Dickfist
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
TheReal_LWS
Green Note
The Pantry
Toe
Tankster
NigelUno
tMolson
CORNER BLITZ
Death Roe
DWags
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
MSU addict
CheesySpartan
GirbaudJeans
SpartanGuard
xsanguine
Big Ten Referee
AvgMSUJoe
Rocinante
Jake from State Farm
SpartanMikey
Robert J Sakimano
LoneWolfSparty
tTy
38 posters

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 Empty Re: Swill Deer Hunting Thread.

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:18

true story: I saw a tiny little deer laying on the side of the road yesterday near the corner of Harrison and Lake Lansing.. guessing he had been hit (seemed like a weird place to take a nap).

made me sad for the little guy. He was cute.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-14, 14:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:true story: I saw a tiny little deer laying on the side of the road yesterday near the corner of Harrison and Lake Lansing.. guessing he had been hit (seemed like a weird place to take a nap).

Lots of deer to see along the Northern Tier trail. Saw a fawn a couple of weeks ago--still had its spots. Hope it was t the one you saw taking the long nap.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:28

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:true story: I saw a tiny little deer laying on the side of the road yesterday near the corner of Harrison and Lake Lansing.. guessing he had been hit (seemed like a weird place to take a nap).

Lots of deer to see along the Northern Tier trail. Saw a fawn a couple of weeks ago--still had its spots. Hope it was t the one you saw taking the long nap.
oh yeah - I'm on the Northern Tier Trail probably 2-3 times a day.. I'm not a wildlife expert but I've seen all sorts of critters on that trail. Pretty sure I saw a fox once..

I thought it was a hyena but then someone else told me that it was probably a fox based on the description I provided.

tons of deer, though. I've seen them just walking in the middle of Harrison at dawn.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-07-14, 14:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm gettin' my gun greased up for huntin' season.. gonna be a good one.

Here you go Bob (in other words, if it's brown it's down.)

Please note, DMU 333 has unlimited antlerless licenses that may be purchased without application beginning Sept. 5 at 10 a.m.

Core CWD Area - DMU 333 consists of Lansing, Meridian, Williamstown, Delhi, Alaiedon and Wheatfield townships in Ingham County; DeWitt, Bath, Watertown, Eagle, Westphalia, Riley, Olive and Victor townships in Clinton County; Woodhull Township in Shiawassee County; and Oneida and Delta townships in Eaton County
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:31

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm gettin' my gun greased up for huntin' season.. gonna be a good one.

Here you go Bob (in other words, if it's brown it's down.)

Please note, DMU 333 has unlimited antlerless licenses that may be purchased without application beginning Sept. 5 at 10 a.m.

Core CWD Area - DMU 333 consists of Lansing, Meridian, Williamstown, Delhi, Alaiedon and Wheatfield townships in Ingham County; DeWitt, Bath, Watertown, Eagle, Westphalia, Riley, Olive and Victor townships in Clinton County; Woodhull Township in Shiawassee County; and Oneida and Delta townships in Eaton County
thanks man....

I just need to get the filters changed on my turn signals and I'm there, dude.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-07-14, 14:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

oh yeah - I'm on the Northern Tier Trail probably 2-3 times a day.. I'm not a wildlife expert but I've seen all sorts of critters on that trail. Pretty sure I saw a fox once..

I thought it was a hyena but then someone else told me that it was probably a fox based on the description I provided.

tons of deer, though. I've seen them just walking in the middle of Harrison at dawn.

Where's the northern tier trail? Maybe I can go ram some deer with my ebike.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:oh yeah - I'm on the Northern Tier Trail probably 2-3 times a day.. I'm not a wildlife expert but I've seen all sorts of critters on that trail. Pretty sure I saw a fox once..

it's a paved trail system that runs mainly north and south in East Lansing. Basically starts at Harrison Meadows park off of (wait for it...) Harrison Road.

you can take it across Abbot, behind the fire station toward old Whitehills... or you can keep going north to State Road. There are a few other branches that run east/east off the section north of Lake Lansing.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-07-14, 14:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

it's a paved trail system that runs mainly north and south in East Lansing. Basically starts at Harrison Meadows park off of (wait for it...) Harrison Road.

you can take it across Abbot, behind the fire station toward old Whitehills... or you can keep going north to State Road. There are a few other branches that run east/east off the section north of Lake Lansing.

Okay thanks, should I take my firearm for pertection? You never know what you're going to run across in Whitehills.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Okay thanks, should I take my firearm for pertection? You never know what you're going to run across in Whitehills.
what kind of question is that??

I take my gun everywhere. Sometimes I even take two just in case the first one locks up on me when I get to shootin'.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-07-14, 14:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

what kind of question is that??

I take my gun everywhere. Sometimes I even take two just in case the first one locks up on me when I get to shootin'.

Yeah, stupid question. You should never go anywhere without at least two or three firearms.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what kind of question is that??

Yeah, stupid question. You should never go anywhere without at least two or three firearms.
praise Him.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-07-14, 14:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

praise Him.

You're a great American Bob.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-07-14, 14:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:praise Him.

You're a great American Bob.
thanks, man. As are you.

Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 AniJesusRisingBible.gif

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-09-03, 16:10

Been out doing the preseason stuff. Filling feeders, putting up trailcams, cutting shooting lanes.

Moving some honeylocust thorn trees I got a stuck about an inch deep in the back of my hand. I gone? swollen, sore, hurts to bend my wrist. I guess I need to keep an eye on it. My daughter was helping and she couldn't even watch as I pulled the thorn out of my hand. Funny I never felt it go in, but when I bent my wrist slightly I felt a weird pressure. Didn't hurt until I pulled the thing back out of my flesh.

Anyway, shaping up to be a good season. tTy, ever make it to Woods n Water in Imlay City?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-09-03, 17:24

At least four different bucks running around right now
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-09-06, 10:57

tTy, please chime in. What are you doing to prepare? I've been shooting my bow everyday since July 15th.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-09-06, 20:59

I got a late start this year. JUST put out cams and mineral blocks and stuff last weekend (week and a half ago, I guess), sooooo...... There is a big bobcat running around one of my spots that I'd love to get on cam, and there are always bears around all of my spots. We'll see, not much to report as of yet, really. Been too busy killin salmon and working mostly.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-09-07, 07:45

tTy wrote:I got a late start this year. JUST put out cams and mineral blocks and stuff last weekend (week and a half ago, I guess), sooooo...... There is a big bobcat running around one of my spots that I'd love to get on cam, and there are always bears around all of my spots. We'll see, not much to report as of yet, really. Been too busy killin salmon and working mostly.

Can you shoot bobcat?
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-09-07, 07:53

I can't wait to kill some stuff..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 08:29

TheReal_LWS wrote:
tTy wrote:I got a late start this year. JUST put out cams and mineral blocks and stuff last weekend (week and a half ago, I guess), sooooo...... There is a big bobcat running around one of my spots that I'd love to get on cam, and there are always bears around all of my spots. We'll see, not much to report as of yet, really. Been too busy killin salmon and working mostly.

Can you shoot bobcat?

Yes, with the proper license.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 09:05

I have no objection to deer hunting, but there's a herd of deer in my yard every day that I find very helpful. They are eating up the apples that fall from my tree and I see them eating other plants I'll end up removing. What can I do to help these deer avoid getting killed this hunting season?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-09-07, 09:21

steveschneider wrote:I have no objection to deer hunting, but there's a herd of deer in my yard every day that I find very helpful. They are eating up the apples that fall from my tree and I see them eating other plants I'll end up removing. What can I do to help these deer avoid getting killed this hunting season?

Keep them out of the woods.
Spray paint them Hunter Orange
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 09:43

steveschneider wrote:I have no objection to deer hunting, but there's a herd of deer in my yard every day that I find very helpful. They are eating up the apples that fall from my tree and I see them eating other plants I'll end up removing. What can I do to help these deer avoid getting killed this hunting season?

Post "no hunting or trespassing" signs all along your property lines, that will keep them safe, as long as the deer decide to stay on your property.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 10:07

Post "no hunting or trespassing" signs all along your property lines, that will keep them safe, as long as the deer decide to stay on your property.

I live in a residential area, but I believe hunting is allowed not too far from where I live. Hoping they aren't stupid and decide to leave this area.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-07, 10:08

LooseGoose wrote:

Keep them out of the woods.
Spray paint them Hunter Orange

And buy a bunch of these and make sure they wear them.
https://mcphee.com/collections/just-masks/products/bald-eagle-mask
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2017-09-07, 11:27

tTy, you getting those salmon on the big water still? I know they're starting to move into the river systems and from what I've heard, earlier than usual.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-09-07, 13:06

Yeah, well once those apples and plants are gone they'll move on to ones you don't want removed. I can help when that happens...........
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 15:30

steveschneider wrote:

I live in a residential area, but I believe hunting is allowed not too far from where I live. Hoping they aren't stupid and decide to leave this area.

Those effers reproduce pretty well so when you start running them down with your cars come back and let us know if you still want them sticking around.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 16:20

steveschneider wrote:

I'm not against hunting and respect the point you make. I'm grateful for you folks thinning the heard. That being said its a residential area and the posted speed limit is 25mph. I'm not to concerned about hitting any of these deer in a car.

Those effers reproduce pretty well so when you start running them down with your cars come back and let us know if you still want them sticking around.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 16:28

steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, I didn't expect to run down any either. I've been broadsided by them a couple times.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 16:34

steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, I didn't expect to run down any either. I've been broadsided by them a couple times.

These ones are so tame I walk right by them and they don't even get spooked. I really do think the likelihood of these ones causing an accident is way lower than the deer I see out in the country.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 16:41

steveschneider wrote:

These ones are so tame I walk right by them and they don't even get spooked. I really do think the likelihood of these ones causing an accident is way lower than the deer I see out in the country.

Just wait, one of these days you will let down your guard, then bam, four or five will gang up on you and your brand new car will look like it went through downtown Detroit at closing time.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 17:13

steveschneider wrote:

lol!

Just wait, one of these days you will let down your guard, then bam, four or five will gang up on you and your brand new car will look like it went through downtown Detroit at closing time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 19:40

So my friend made a good point. Apple cider presses are easy to make and I could use those apples to make a good fizzy alcoholic cider which got me thinking why should I let those deer get those apples for free?

How fast can I get license and are you allowed to take down a deer on you own lot in a residential neighborhood? I have just under a half an acre.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-09-07, 20:19

Backyard this morning. Pretty sure these 2 are yearling brothers. I haven't hunt deer in many years, but like to observe them. Hope one or both make it through the season.
Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 <a href=Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 Hunt3710" />
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-07, 20:28

steveschneider wrote:So my friend made a good point. Apple cider presses are easy to make and I could use those apples to make a good fizzy alcoholic cider which got me thinking why should I let those deer get those apples for free?

How fast can I get license and are you allowed to take down a deer on you own lot in a residential neighborhood? I have just under a half an acre.

Use a .22. That way, when you miss, you'll probably take out the neighbor who's just about to call the cops on you.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2017-09-07, 20:58

steveschneider wrote:So my friend made a good point. Apple cider presses are easy to make and I could use those apples to make a good fizzy alcoholic cider which got me thinking why should I let those deer get those apples for free?

Safety zone would do you in. You need to be 450 feet away from another residence in order to discharge a firearm while hunting. If you're in the CWD area you can buy all the permits you want, if it's brown it's down.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-09-07, 21:39

These deer are so tame though I could probably walk right up to one and shoot it point blank pointing straight towards the ground so there's no risk of hitting a neighbors house.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-09-07, 22:40

SawGreen wrote:Backyard this morning. Pretty sure these 2 are yearling brothers. I haven't hunt deer in many years, but like to observe them. Hope one or both make it through the season.
Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 <a href=Swill Deer Hunting Thread. - Page 9 Hunt3710" />

FYI, 8 points with brow tines <> yearlings homie.

Yearlings = spots and still have milk on their lips.

RE: salmons, yeah, on the big water out of Frankfort. I haven't been out in a couple weeks, but I MIGHT try it one more time. Going to hit GTEastBay here soon for the cisco. fucking KILLED them last year. Salmon trolling style with smaller spoons on riggers and sliders, not the magnums. They smoke up very nicely.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2017-09-07, 23:34

tTy wrote:
SawGreen wrote:Backyard this morning. Pretty sure these 2 are yearling brothers. I haven't hunt deer in many years, but like to observe them. Hope one or both make it through the season.

FYI, 8 points with brow tines <> yearlings homie.

Yearlings = spots and still have milk on their lips.

RE: salmons, yeah, on the big water out of Frankfort. I haven't been out in a couple weeks, but I MIGHT try it one more time. Going to hit GTEastBay here soon for the cisco. fucking KILLED them last year. Salmon trolling style with smaller spoons on riggers and sliders, not the magnums. They smoke up very nicely.

Homie, happy reading. http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2009-06-01-196036.112113_Debating_reasons_for_variations_in_yearling_buck_antler_size.html
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next