Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting" at Orlando club.

+26
tTy
CheesySpartan
Blanch32
Death Roe
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Vlad
The Pantry
Gomer
CORNER BLITZ
Tim Wakefield
Turtleneck
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
SpartanInNH
I.B. Fine
xsanguine
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
tanfan!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Jake from State Farm
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
DWags
30 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 Empty Re: Multiple victims in a "mass shooting" at Orlando club.

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:29

OTPT, your vagina is showing.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 Empty Re: Multiple victims in a "mass shooting" at Orlando club.

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:29

I.B. Fine wrote:
Gomer wrote:Semi-automatic firearms, by their very function, are assault weapons. Any idiot who wants to argue that an AR-15 is not "technically an assault-rifle" need only look at what someone with a basic level of training, was able to accomplish with one. Over 100 casualties from one individual is an extremely effective assault. So let's stop with with this "they're not assault weapons" nonsense.

Any mass shooting is a terror crime. People are being terrorized by assault weapons on a daily basis. It doesn't matter if it's gays at a nightclub, patients and staff at a clinic, black people at a church service, or people hanging out on a street corner in the city. The terror is the fear of getting randomly gunned down by some nutjob with an assault weapon.

Did you see the FBI statistics Goose posted above? I think more people die from lightning strikes a year than typically by rifle.
If you live in fear of "assault rifles" you shouldn't leave the house.
Did you read what I posted? Seriously. Go back, actually read and try processing it.

Goose's statistic makes my very point.

What weapons are being used to commit all of these mass-assaults?

Those are assault weapons. By the very nature of their function and use.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-12, 12:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Oh now we can talk about banning lightning strikes yay
Seriously? that's your take away?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-06-12, 12:33

Gomer wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Did you see the FBI statistics Goose posted above? I think more people die from lightning strikes a year than typically by rifle.
Did you read what I posted? Seriously. Go back, actually read and try processing it.

And you can't write a law that would ban your definition of assault weapons without sweeping up hunting rifles and/or pistols. Let alone trying to collect them from tens of millions of Americans.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-12, 12:33

Gomer wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

So any semi automatic gun is an "assault weapon" and should be banned. OK. Like stated above there are millions of them and a tiny percentage are involved in crimes, but OK, how do you propose seizing them?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:35

Better lose all of your legally registered weapons in a canoe accident and report it to law enforcement if there's a chance Gomer gets his way.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-12, 12:37

xsanguine wrote:OTPT, your vagina is showing.

the macho man thing was played out years ago. Along with frosted tips.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:37

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Gomer wrote:Semi-automatic firearms, by their very function, are assault weapons. Any idiot who wants to argue that an AR-15 is not "technically an assault-rifle" need only look at what someone with a basic level of training, was able to accomplish with one. Over 100 casualties from one individual is an extremely effective assault. So let's stop with with this "they're not assault weapons" nonsense.

Any mass shooting is a terror crime. People are being terrorized by assault weapons on a daily basis. It doesn't matter if it's gays at a nightclub, patients and staff at a clinic, black people at a church service, or people hanging out on a street corner in the city. The terror is the fear of getting randomly gunned down by some nutjob with an assault weapon.

So the 30-06 deer rifle is an assault weapon? The Glock 9 pistol is an assault weapon?

Would you try to ban anything short of pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles and revolvers?
First off, yes. Those are assault weapons. Capable of rapid, sustained fire. Easy to conceal. Deadly effective. If I wanted to assault a group of people, a Glock 9 with some high capacity mags would be very effective. Wouldn't it?

Second. Ban? No. Set very high standards for ownership, operation, training, certification, etc.? You're god damned right.

Third, as it relates to self-defense and the right to protect oneself; pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles and revolvers are still very effective. Though I'd replace pump action shotguns with break-action shotguns in that lineup.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-12, 12:37

xsanguine wrote:Better lose all of your legally registered weapons in a canoe accident and report it to law enforcement if there's a chance Gomer gets his way.

Any guesses what percentage of guns are actually registered? Plenty of guns existed before we started registering things to make it easier for some to sleep at night.

Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2016-06-12, 12:38; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Did you formulate an opinion yet?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:38

I.B. Fine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

So any semi automatic gun is an "assault weapon" and should be banned. OK. Like stated above there are millions of them and a tiny percentage are involved in crimes, but OK, how do you propose seizing them?
Where did I say banned or seized?

Jesus Christ you guys are quick to the draw with strawmen. I need a flame-thrower to combat this army of them that you are rolling out.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:39

I.B. Fine wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Better lose all of your legally registered weapons in a canoe accident and report it to law enforcement if there's a chance Gomer gets his way.

Any guesses what percentage of guns are actually registered? Plenty of guns existed before we started registering things to make it easier to sleep at night.

A percentage that isn't low enough.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-12, 12:39

xsanguine wrote:

Individual rights
Lightning strikes
Assault weapon definition in the dictionary
This guy had a license
Big bad government
Big good government against Islam
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-06-12, 12:39

Gomer wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

So the 30-06 deer rifle is an assault weapon? The Glock 9 pistol is an assault weapon?

Would you try to ban anything short of pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles and revolvers?
First off, yes. Those are assault weapons. Capable of rapid, sustained fire. Easy to conceal. Deadly effective. If I wanted to assault a group of people, a Glock 9 with some high capacity mags would be very effective. Wouldn't it?

Second. Ban? No. Set very high standards for ownership, operation, training, certification, etc.? You're god damned right.

Third, as it relates to self-defense and the right to protect oneself; pump action shotguns, bolt action rifles and revolvers are still very effective. Though I'd replace pump action shotguns with break-action shotguns in that lineup.

A pump action loaded with 7 rounds of buckshot can do a pretty good job, and if you're any good with it you could probably rival a semi-auto.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:40

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Gomer wrote:

And you can't write a law that would ban your definition of assault weapons without sweeping up hunting rifles and/or pistols. Let alone trying to collect them from tens of millions of Americans.
Ban? Did I say ban?

WHERE'S MY SELF-DEFENSE FLAME THROWER. I'M BEING ATTACKED BY STRAWMEN!!!!!
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:41

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Gomer wrote:

A pump action loaded with 7 rounds of buckshot can do a pretty good job, and if you're any good with it you could probably rival a semi-auto.
That's why I said they are considered assault weapons and said that break-action are more appropriate in the third list.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:42

xsanguine wrote:

Individual rights
Lightning strikes
This guy had a license
Big bad government

Well, when you get one make sure to share it. At some point you'll have to learn that having a point and be willing to defend it is a positive character trait. And that trying to hide behind some false deniability is a character flaw.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-12, 12:43

Gomer wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Jesus Christ you guys are quick to the draw with strawmen.  I need a flame-thrower to combat this army of them that you are rolling out.  

As stated above, there are many million guns held by law abiding citizens, and not so law abiding citizens, that meet your standard for "bad" guns, short of confiscation, how do you thing your rules change anything?
Isn't it time to consider the other side of the equation, the finger on the trigger?
The guy in Orlando was known by law enforcement, wouldn't that be an easier avenue?

Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2016-06-12, 12:47; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-12, 12:43

xsanguine wrote:

Individual rights
Lightning strikes
This guy had a license
Big bad government

Well, when you get one make sure to share it. At some point you'll have to learn that having a point and be willing to defend it is a positive character trait. And that trying to hide behind some false deniability is a character flaw.

I'm sorry you don't like my posts regarding this matter. be sure to demean your daughter as you just did to other females.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 12:45

xsanguine wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like my posts regarding this matter. be sure to demean your daughter as you just did to other females.

Your posts are fine, just saying you haven't taken a stand and presented any sort of argument for whatever stand you think you have taken.

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 502811600 What females have I "demeaned"?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-12, 12:46

LooseGoose wrote:Wags - "assault rifle" is a made up political term. Even the people that made up the name admit that now.

Hunting rifles are deadlier than "assault rifles", they shoot just as fast and generally fire a more lethal round.

Obviously this is going to change for this year - but over the past 10 years ALL rifles have been involved in approximately 300 murders per year. Rifles are not the problem. IF you really want to impact murders, handguns are involved in approximately 6,000 murders per year. But for politicians there is no easy sexy target like an "assault handgun" - so they mislead the public about "assault rifles" and accomplish exactly nothing.

I think it's because when the hand gun murders take place they're never this spectacular or egregious even though they outrage us. It's like the car accident deaths vs airplanes.

I certainly don't have an answer. I'm just relegated to the belief that this shit is unstoppable and I hope it doesn't touch me personally. As shitty and selfish as it sounds, there's really nothing else we can do. My thought has been eviserated. I've got no others.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-12, 12:47

xsanguine wrote:

I assume you're against gun control, then?

I'm for talking about "real solutions" only to talk through it and end up at "well, can't do anything about it. fuck it."

Unfortunately otpt, yes, fuck it we can't do anything" is the answer. There are longer term solutions as society evolves, but for now, these men you're talking to are gutless cowards who truly believe that their gun is the only thing that has kept them alive to this day. They are afraid of every bump in the night and they will not consider a solution that involves limiting guns. It's just the way it is. Without people voluntarily giving up the guns that they think they so desperately need there is no way to contain guns.

So, any solution has to be built around the framework that guns are too prevalent and won't go away. Really all you can do is try to help people on the "seriously, you don't want to murder people. Stop it" front. Again, unfortunately people are scared of the boogie man, so they will want to attribute this to the fact that the guy was brown and his parents were from Afghanistan and maybe liked Isis. But, the issue isn't Isis. The issue is that an American born guy thought that joining Isis and murdering gay people was a good idea. In other words, dude was fucking crazy. So, since guns aren't going anywhere, and there will always be a boogie man that people will want to blame for everything, you need help people with their mental issues that cause them to think these ideas are rational.

Of course, the same people that are terrified of the boogie man and need their guns to stay alive and want to blame everything on whomever Americas current enemy is also have this habit for cutting mental health funding time and time again in every state in the country. So, back to your post, we're all fucked.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 12:52

I.B. Fine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

Jesus Christ you guys are quick to the draw with strawmen.  I need a flame-thrower to combat this army of them that you are rolling out.  

As stated above, there are many million guns held by law abiding citizens that meet your standard for "bad" guns, short of confiscation, how do you thing your rules change anything?
Isn't it time to consider the other side of the equation, the finger on the trigger?
The guy in Orlando was known by law enforcement, wouldn't that be an easier avenue?
Like I said, set very high standards for ownership, operation, training, certification, etc.

Require mandatory registration of all firearms.  Law abiding citizens who meet the requirements can continue to own and operate their firearms.

Ensure that there are strict enforcement measures for non-compliance.

These standard should include some sort of basic mental health check, standards for securing weapons and strict penalties if they are stolen while unsecured or otherwise come up "missing" or are used by someone else in a crime, and documentation and approval of all weapon transfers.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-06-12, 12:53

xsanguine wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

According to the father sounds like the motivation was homophobia. He saw two men kissing a month ago and was upset about it.

If it's homohobia stemming from Islamic religious belief... that won't be the cause to a large segment of the population. It has to be gun nuts, Christian bigotry, something that can be tied to whites, etc.

More details emerging looks like he was a radical Islamic nut and the fbi was watching him.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-12, 12:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I'm for talking about "real solutions" only to talk through it and end up at "well, can't do anything about it. fuck it."

Unfortunately otpt, yes, fuck it we can't do anything" is the answer. There are longer term solutions as society evolves, but for now, these men you're talking to are gutless cowards who truly believe that their gun is the only thing that has kept them alive to this day. They are afraid of every bump in the night and they will not consider a solution that involves limiting guns. It's just the way it is. Without people voluntarily giving up the guns that they think they so desperately need there is no way to contain guns.

So, any solution has to be built around the framework that guns are too prevalent and won't go away. Really all you can do is try to help people on the "seriously, you don't want to murder people. Stop it" front. Again, unfortunately people are scared of the boogie man, so they will want to attribute this to the fact that the guy was brown and his parents were from Afghanistan and maybe liked Isis. But, the issue isn't Isis. The issue is that an American born guy thought that joining Isis and murdering gay people was a good idea. In other words, dude was fucking crazy. So, since guns aren't going anywhere, and there will always be a boogie man that people will want to blame for everything, you need help people with their mental issues that cause them to think these ideas are rational.

Of course, the same people that are terrified of the boogie man and need their guns to stay alive and want to blame everything on whomever Americas current enemy is also have this habit for cutting mental health funding time and time again in every state in the country. So, back to your post, we're all fucked.

Here Xsan, Travis pretty much covered it. I'm going to the park. Have fun talking about freedom.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-06-12, 12:55

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 502811600 Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-06-12, 12:56

Gomer wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

As stated above, there are many million guns held by law abiding citizens that meet your standard for "bad" guns, short of confiscation, how do you thing your rules change anything?
Like I said, set very high standards for ownership, operation, training, certification, etc.

Require mandatory registration of all firearms.  Law abiding citizens who meet the requirements can continue to own and operate their firearms.

These standard should include some sort of basic mental health check, standards for securing weapons and strict penalties if they are stolen while unsecured or otherwise come up "missing" or are used by someone else in a crime, and documentation and approval of all weapon transfers.
So if said gun owning "law abiding citizens" don't meet your requirements, what do you do with the guns they've owned for years?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-06-12, 13:00

Pretty much. I'm just so beat down on this shit. I'm giving up. Never felt like that before. Just gonna take my ball and go home. I don't think we can come to a concensus. Limit immigration? Ban certain types of guns? Spend more on mental health? People will be on both sides of all of those so passionately that it won't change.

So, here we are.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 13:01

Here Xsan, Travis pretty much covered it. I'm going to the park. Have fun talking about freedom.

You can't be this daft.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-06-12, 13:01

I.B. Fine wrote:

Any guesses what percentage of guns are actually registered? Plenty of guns existed before we started registering things to make it easier for some to sleep at night.

Mine aren't
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 13:02

I.B. Fine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

So if said gun owning "law abiding citizens" don't meet your requirements, what do you do with the guns they've owned for years?

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 More%20police
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-12, 13:02

xsanguine wrote:

You can't be this daft.

I've made you tilt without even having to say anything and without having to hear your anarchy bullshit. good day.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 13:03

xsanguine wrote:

You can't be this daft.

I've made you tilt without even having to say anything and without having to hear your anarchy bullshit. good day.

You can't claim tilt if you haven't even said anything yet, sport.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 13:07

I.B. Fine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

Current owners could be grandfathered, be held to less-stringent criteria. At the barest of minimums, they should be required to register all of their firearms and be required to comply with all new laws regarding securing weapons and weapon transfer. Possessing an unregistered firearm should result in some form of strict punishment (jail/prison), not a slap on the wrist.

Given the ease with which mentally unstable people can mow down 100 people in a dark club with any ol' garden variety firearm, I do think they should be required to partake in some sort periodic mental health assessment to own semi-auto firearms or otherwise surrender their weapons. Revolvers, break/bolt action weapons would be held to a lesser standard.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 13:09

xsanguine wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

AHHHHHHHHH ANOTHER STRAWMAN!!! QUICK GET ME MY SELF-DEFENSE FLAMETHROWER!!!!!
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 13:11

If I was a proponent of gun control, OTPT wouldn't be complaining of having to "hear my bullshit", because I haven't brought up the things he whining about. So what we can take away from this interaction is that OTPT simply doesn't like to be confronted by differing opinions... but still feels compelled to participate to satisfy some inner fear just too insecure to articulate his opinion.

It's okay to be vulnerable, bro. It builds character.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-12, 13:13

Gomer wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

What do you do with individuals that refuse to register these weapons for political reasons and state agents become aware of their existence?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 13:14

Oh.... while I'm updating the lawbooks, let's do away with high capacity magazines and otherwise limit the capacity of these assault weapons.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-06-12, 13:16

xsanguine wrote:
Gomer wrote:

What do you do with individuals that refuse to register these weapons for political reasons and state agents become aware of their existence?
If they are found with one in their possession... be it during a traffic stop, hunting, spot check at the local gun range, etc.  Lock them up for a year or two (maybe with a multiplier for each weapon found during the subsequent investigation).

Last edited by Gomer on 2016-06-12, 13:31; edited 1 time in total
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-06-12, 13:19

Multiple victims in a "mass shooting"  at Orlando club.  - Page 4 502811600
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next