Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Ian

+18
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
duffy munn
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
PennSpartan
NigelUno
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
22 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hurricane Ian - Page 5 Empty Re: Hurricane Ian

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-01, 07:26

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
State funded.  It is a non-profit insurer created by the Florida state legislature.  I don't know if the Federal government gives them anything.

Edit:  Actually state funded sounds like everyone's taxes pay it.  Obviously, there are still all of the insurance premiums that customers pay.  Like any other insurer, they run on that.  But I believe the state backing comes in if they simply can't cover it.  FWIW, Citizens just passed 1 million customers.  There are 10 million residences in the state.  So most don't have it.
How do they do it without a state income tax?  6% sales tax is same as Michigan.  Know there's a massive tourism difference.  How do property taxes work there?
It isn't free insurance. Like any insurance company, they are funded by customer premiums. They then have the right to levy assessments on policy holders if they are in the red after a storm.

But as far as state taxes in general, I looked it up out of curiosity and 81% of all Florida tax collections are transactional taxes (general and selective sales tax). It looks like property taxes per capita are in the middle nationally. But if you want to know more about Florida taxes, this might help: https://floridataxwatch.org/Research/Full-Library/ArtMID/34407/ArticleID/19099/2021-How-Florida-Compares-Taxes
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-10-02, 13:24

Bums me out because I really enjoyed a couple trips to Captiva. Time to face reality.

Ian shows the risks and costs of living on barrier islands
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-10-02, 13:50

The Pantry wrote:Bums me out because I really enjoyed a couple trips to Captiva. Time to face reality.

Don't understand that. If the mega hotels and apartments are surviving seems like the same building standards for single family structures would be insurable. Put em on stilts like the east coast...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-02, 15:01

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Bums me out because I really enjoyed a couple trips to Captiva. Time to face reality.

Don't understand that. If the mega hotels and apartments are surviving seems like the same building standards for single family structures would be insurable. Put em on stilts like the east coast...

Most of the homes on Sanibel and Captiva are on stilts, or have only garage and maybe a patio area on the first floor, but the 12+ foot storm surge also reached the second level/living area of some homes Some have wood frame stilts. Some have concrete stilts. Many of the wood frame stilts were wiped out. The storm surge is powerful, not just rising water. The surge alone broke some hurricane impact windows (the impact rating is for wind and flying objects, not for the power of the ocean).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-02, 15:30

Would think the first floors of the hotels are probably higher than 12 feet. and the footing go down pretty deep.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-02, 17:59

Trapper Gus wrote:Would think the first floors of the hotels are probably higher than 12 feet. and the footing go down pretty deep.

Keep in mind that in addition to the storm surge (which well exceeded 12 feet in some areas), there are also the waves cresting a few feet higher.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-10-02, 21:08

[tw]1576583806173466624?s=46&t=-NypHLd0y0NcH17P9SM4WA[/tw]
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-02, 22:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
How do they do it without a state income tax?  6% sales tax is same as Michigan.  Know there's a massive tourism difference.  How do property taxes work there?
It isn't free insurance. Like any insurance company, they are funded by customer premiums. They then have the right to levy assessments on policy holders if they are in the red after a storm.

But as far as state taxes in general, I looked it up out of curiosity and 81% of all Florida tax collections are transactional taxes (general and selective sales tax). It looks like property taxes per capita are in the middle nationally. But if you want to know more about Florida taxes, this might help: https://floridataxwatch.org/Research/Full-Library/ArtMID/34407/ArticleID/19099/2021-How-Florida-Compares-Taxes

The CEO of Citizens (the Florida one, that is the state backed non-profit insurance company discussed above) was on one of the local Sunday morning talk shoes this morning, and said that they have a $6 billion surplus, and estimate claims of less than $4 billion (on an expected 225,000 claims), so they can handle this, and said that most other insurers can as well. The problem, he said, will come if there is another big storm this year, and at that point they would likely need to levy an assessment.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-10-04, 12:08

it's okay.. the tough, testosterone-driven, Ivy League educated, alpha-male is here to fix things.

Hurricane Ian - Page 5 FeOdiupXoAEYcQf?format=jpg&name=small
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-10-04, 13:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's okay.. the tough, testosterone-driven, Ivy League educated, alpha-male is here to fix things.

He had his minions stop at a local farm supply store and pick up those boots. Not a mark on them and I'll bet they end up in the trash before the day is done.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-10-04, 13:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's okay.. the tough, testosterone-driven, Ivy League educated, alpha-male is here to fix things.

[tw]1577218828043702278[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano, MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, Jake from State Farm and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-04, 13:19

I was going to joke about his rolled up sleeves, however the boots are winning ...

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-10-04, 13:40

Hurricane Ian - Page 5 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-10-04, 15:21

WTF? It's way after Labor Day
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-04, 15:25

Thought this was an interesting story about Babcock Ranch, a 100% solar-powered community a dozen miles outside of Fort Myers. Nobody lost power and the homes sustained minimal damage. The Ranch was an idea of, and built by, former Green Bay Packer Syd Kitson in 2015. Gotta believe a lot of builders will be taking notice.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-04, 15:26

The Pantry wrote:WTF? It's way after Labor Day

Fashion rules are for the poors.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-10-04, 15:57

tGreenWay wrote:Thought this was an interesting story about Babcock Ranch, a 100% solar-powered community a dozen miles outside of Fort Myers. Nobody lost power and the homes sustained minimal damage. The Ranch was an idea of, and built by, former Green Bay Packer Syd Kitson in 2015. Gotta believe a lot of builders will be taking notice.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html
I don't think I've ever heard of that place. A couple of thoughts, the design is interesting. Designing the roads to flood, I'd like to see how that works. The solar being run by FP&L could make the difference of continuing to have power. In FL, if you have Solar and the power goes out, you can't use your solar to power your house, you have to use batteries. I had no clue until after Irma about that. FP&L lobbied for that rule, I agree with part of it, which is that you don't want to electrocute workers, but you should be able to disconnect from the grid and use your own power.
Being inland can get to be unbearable at times, so I wonder how many residence are year round residence at that community. Summers on the west coast, probably even 5 miles from the coast can be really hot and bug filled.
Either way I like the concept.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-10-04, 16:43

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Thought this was an interesting story about Babcock Ranch, a 100% solar-powered community a dozen miles outside of Fort Myers. Nobody lost power and the homes sustained minimal damage. The Ranch was an idea of, and built by, former Green Bay Packer Syd Kitson in 2015. Gotta believe a lot of builders will be taking notice.

I don't think I've ever heard of that place. A couple of thoughts, the design is interesting. Designing the roads to flood, I'd like to see how that works. The solar being run by FP&L could make the difference of continuing to have power. In FL, if you have Solar and the power goes out, you can't use your solar to power your house, you have to use batteries. I had no clue until after Irma about that. FP&L lobbied for that rule, I agree with part of it, which is that you don't want to electrocute workers, but you should be able to disconnect from the grid and use your own power.
Being inland can get to be unbearable at times, so I wonder how many residence are year round residence at that community. Summers on the west coast, probably even 5 miles from the coast can be really hot and bug filled.

Have you checked with Trapper on this? I’m skeptical. Hurricane Ian - Page 5 1494614055
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-04, 18:31

This is federal program to which I was earlier referring. I haven’t read it, so there’s the chance it contains info already mentioned by our Florida Swillers.

https://www.fema.gov/flood-insurance

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2022-10-04, 18:35; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-10-04, 18:33

tGreenWay wrote:This is federal program to which I was referring. I haven’t read it, so there’s the chance it contains info already mentioned by our Florida Swillers.

I'm not sure what you're referencing,  but I'm pretty sure every insurance company that covered those area will deny coverage and say they got flooded. Which is actually true.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-04, 18:36

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:This is federal program to which I was referring. I haven’t read it, so there’s the chance it contains info already mentioned by our Florida Swillers.

I'm not sure what you're referencing,  but I'm pretty sure every insurance company that covered those area will deny coverage and say they got flooded. Which is actually true.

I fully agree with you. Lots of people are going to get soaked from this flood.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-04, 18:57

kingstonlake wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Have you checked with Trapper on this? I’m skeptical. Hurricane Ian - Page 5 1494614055

You didn't stay to the end of that thread apparently, we finally determined that my experience was skewed because I was never more than about 3 miles from water.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-04, 19:02

InTenSity wrote:

Just like homeowners who own backup generators the crossover switching between grid power and backup, or other power can be automatic. Most of the farms around me have this type of switching gear. For those not electrically handy an electrician is required to install the switch gear. This gear totally disconnects from the grid and connects to the alternate power.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-10-04, 21:58

Trapper Gus wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Just like homeowners who own backup generators the crossover switching between grid power and backup, or other power can be automatic.  Most of the farms around me have this type of switching gear.  For those not electrically handy an electrician is required to install the switch gear.  This gear totally disconnects from the grid and connects to the alternate power.
Ok, but that's not allowed in Florida.  Sunshine state discourages solar.  Cuz Republicans lobbying.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-10-05, 11:12

I was just there. Power going out wasn't the problem, it was power transmission due to knocked over power poles and submerged transformers.
Being that far inland certainly helped with the wind and water damage, but I saw plenty of houses close to the coast that survived with very little to no structural damage. Mostly homes built in the last 30 years.
Barrier islands are just not a good places to be in hurricanes.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-05, 11:19

I.B. Fine wrote:

I was just there. Power going out wasn't the problem, it was power transmission due to knocked over power poles and submerged transformers.
Being that far inland certainly helped with the wind and water damage, but I saw plenty of houses close to the coast that survived with very little to no structural damage. Mostly homes built in the last 30 years.

The story is about having a local source of power, then.

With more renewables coming online in the United States there may be more locations that are less affected by weather.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-10-05, 11:57

I.B. Fine wrote:

There's a very good reason why they're called barrier islands.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-05, 14:38

I.B. Fine wrote:

Yeah, inland, where there were still high winds, but not storm surge, it is pretty much mobile homes that got deatroyed. On the islands or on the water in the mainland, it was storm surge, not winds, that did most of the damage.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-10-05, 16:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Yeah, inland, where there were still high winds, but not storm surge, it is pretty much mobile homes that got deatroyed.  On the islands or on the water in the mainland, it was storm surge, not winds, that did most of the damage.

Yeah, after Andrew ('92) they tightened up the codes and enforcement and it shows, but not many houses are designed to be underwater....
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-10-05, 16:47

There is a misconception about the codes.  Miami Dade has the strictest,  well Monroe might have stricter.  Developers fought making these codes state wide. So guess what,  but all of florida has the code that S. Florida does.  On top of that,  I'll post more later,  when it's easier to not correct autocorrect on my phone.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-05, 17:28

I.B. Fine wrote:

I just like the idea of buried lines and the ability to draw your own power when the local utility can’t provide it. Obviously, even if you have buried power lines, it does no good if those lines between Babcock Ranch and the utility have been brought down by wind or whatever, and I doubt the Ranch has a direct feed to the utility.
As for being so close to the water, our friends in Cape Coral really were fortunate. They lost power and water but sustained no flood damage, unlike all their neighbors. Apparently, there’s a large building near them that acted as a buffer. They were lucky and they know it. I’m happy for them but will be curious to see if they stick it out in FLA after less than a year and one large hurricane or return to MI.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-05, 18:21

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I just like the idea of buried lines and the ability to draw your own power when the local utility can’t provide it. Obviously, even if you have buried power lines, it does no good if those lines between Babcock Ranch and the utility have been brought down by wind or whatever, and I doubt the Ranch has a direct feed to the utility.
As for being so close to the water, our friends in Cape Coral really were fortunate. They lost power and water but sustained no flood damage, unlike all their neighbors. Apparently, there’s a large building near them that acted as a buffer. They were lucky and they know it. I’m happy for them but will be curious to see if they stick it out in FLA after less than a year and one large hurricane or return to MI.

Chances are, they'll never get hit with something like this again, that makes landfall as close to them as rhis, and even less likely for it ti be nearly as strong. At least not for a really long time.

On the other hand, Ian made landfall at exactly the same spot as Hurricane Charley 18 years ago, so Mother Nature isn't deck of cards with a finite number of cards that can be dealt.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-10-05, 18:42

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Talked with an old co-worker that bought a house near Cape Coral 8-10 months ago. House was built in 2004 and weathered Ian well. Some minor exterior damage. No water damage. No internet but power is on. He's going to rent it to a damage restoration crew from New Jersey for at least a month.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-10-05, 19:44

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Chances are, they'll never get hit with something like this again, that makes landfall as close to them as rhis, and even less likely for it ti be nearly as strong. At least not for a really long time.

On the other hand, Ian made landfall at exactly the same spot as Hurricane Charley 18 years ago, so Mother Nature isn't deck of cards with a finite number of cards that can be dealt.

I think Irma landed on Marco in 2017. Only about 40 miles south of where Ian landed?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-05, 20:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I’d imagine it’s tougher to predict what might be a 100- or 500-year storm, considering how patterns and storm strengths are changing. All I know is if I lived in Florida, I’d buy something with the most up to date technologies available. Better yet, I’d build to my specs and hire I.B. for the job and make him my bitch.

Hurricane Ian - Page 5 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-10-05, 20:02

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Talked with an old co-worker that bought a house near Cape Coral 8-10 months ago. House was built in 2004 and weathered Ian well. Some minor exterior damage. No water damage. No internet but power is on. He's going to rent it to a damage restoration crew from New Jersey for at least a month.

I’ll be curious to find out how much damage the damage restoration crew inflicts on your former colleague’s place.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-10-05, 20:31

One of the news sites said airbnb's are getting 7 times what the usually do....

So your dude is paying off his mortgage after a couple weeks of that. (Maybe not mortgage)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

The Pantry, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-10-06, 17:28

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I’d imagine it’s tougher to predict what might be a 100- or 500-year storm, considering how patterns and storm strengths are changing. All I know is if I lived in Florida, I’d buy something with the most up to date technologies available. Better yet, I’d build to my specs and hire I.B. for the job and make him my bitch.

Hurricane Ian - Page 5 1494614055

You couldn't afford me....but you may have the opportunity to buy me a beer Saturday. Wink
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-10-06, 19:48

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think Irma landed on Marco in 2017. Only about 40 miles south of where Ian landed?

Yeah, which is actually kind of far in terms of the destructive force, especially considering that passed inland of Fort Myers and didn't produce much, if any storm surge.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-07, 07:25

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

There are a bunch of eggheads who study this sort of thing who propose creating a national grid with buried lines. The really farout ones proposed superconducting lines, though the losses on HV lines are pretty low.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next