Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Ian

+18
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
duffy munn
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
PennSpartan
NigelUno
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
22 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hurricane Ian - Page 3 Empty Re: Hurricane Ian

Post by kingstonlake 2022-09-28, 18:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Someone here has family in Punta Gorda if I remember correctly.

My Dad's place was there, he sold it in July.

Ahh. Ok. Good deal!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-28, 19:05

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Sorta wonder.  Do some people not evacuate because they've watched too much Weather Channel coverage of hurricanes?  "Here, hold my beer.  I can do that."
Do you want me to tell you the type that think they should ride this out?
You tell me. Made no sense to not evacuate IMO. Just sayin', WC has a way of glamortizing hurricanes and might have an impact on the way people think.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-28, 19:25

Trapper Gus wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Regarding evacuation, they have evacuation zones.  Those are based primarily on potential for storm surge.  If you're not at threat for that, you aren't asked to evacuate, and that usually only extends a mile or less inland.  If you have shutters or hurricane impact windows, and aren't in an evacuation zone, you aren't at a big risk of real danger.  When you see roofs ripped off a house, it is because a window broke, the hurricane gets inside the house, and the roof gives because it is getting destroyed from the inside.

Don't think of it in terms a tornado in Michigan, because your houses are primarily made if wood, right?  Isn't brick usually decorative?  So think of Michigan houses as the 2nd little pig when the big bad wolf comes huffing puffing, and Florida homes are the 3rd little pig.

Having said that, there are older homes, a TON of mobile homes (not just like UM fans, even really nice ones that retirees buy).  And some people don't have shutters or hurricane windows. It's madness to stay in any of those situations.

Wood frame houses are a form of construction all over the country as they as cheap to build.

Except in most of Florida. Even houses built in the 1950s/60s down here are cinderblock, except the roof of course. Maybe less so in inland areas like Orlando, or older areas like North Florida. Most areas of the country are wood, like you said. I only singled out Michigan since that's where most of you are.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-28, 19:50

kingstonlake wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

My Dad's place was there, he sold it in July.

Ahh. Ok. Good deal!

Unless you know the sale price, you can’t possibly know if Floyd’s dad got a good deal. Hurricane Ian - Page 3 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-28, 20:02

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
You tell me. Made no sense to not evacuate IMO. Just sayin', WC has a way of glamortizing hurricanes and might have an impact on the way people think.

If you're in a mandatory evacuation zone, live in a mobile home/old wood home, or don't have shutters/impact windows, yes, it makes sense to evacuate. People staying on the beaches/barrier islands, or right near the bays/rivers, when there is going to be even 5 foot storm surge, let alone 10+ feet, is just bonkers.

Otherwise, to each their own. There is a reason that there are mandatory evacuation zones, and not so mandatory evacuation zones.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-28, 20:19

[tw]1575253395304288271?s=46&t=-uYaPcZzOkH5qQQdvxbPlg[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-09-28, 20:44

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
You tell me.  Made no sense to not evacuate IMO.  Just sayin', WC has a way of glamortizing hurricanes and might have an impact on the way people think.
These are super red counties.  Usually conservative tough guys who stay,  which is typical that the second they're in trouble expect the government they hate to bail them out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-28, 20:55

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
You tell me.  Made no sense to not evacuate IMO.  Just sayin', WC has a way of glamortizing hurricanes and might have an impact on the way people think.
These are super red counties.  Usually conservative tough guys who stay,  which is typical that the second they're in trouble expect the government they hate to bail them out.
Please. Don't drag politics into this on the main board.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-09-28, 21:03

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
I never noticed.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-28, 21:12

DWags wrote:[tw]1575253395304288271?s=46&t=-uYaPcZzOkH5qQQdvxbPlg[/tw]

Was just going to post this. This is just amazing to watch. First the water flowing in, then the speed with which it is being blown up the street.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-09-28, 21:18

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Please.  Don't drag politics into this on the main board.
I'm dragging facts,  not politics.  I'm sorry reality hurts.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-28, 21:35

Here is another amazing video. This isn't an ocean front place, BTW. This is the Caloosahatchee River with ocean like waves.
[tw]1575185681609265152?t=VFNOQZY5b8t-6-ywCN61JA&s=19[/tw]
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-09-28, 21:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:Here is another amazing video. This isn't an ocean front place, BTW. This is the Caloosahatchee River with ocean like waves.
[tw]1575185681609265152?t=VFNOQZY5b8t-6-ywCN61JA&s=19[/tw]

Holy shit
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-28, 22:02

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Please.  Don't drag politics into this on the main board.
I'm dragging facts,  not politics.  I'm sorry reality hurts.
If you did actual research you'd likely discover "your side" has just as many idiots that didn't evacuate.

Stop making shit up here and post it in tBin where it belongs.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-09-28, 22:04

[tw]1575266715293843462?s=46&t=e9WoyAvNSCgHI48OUgvxwA[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-28, 22:44

DWags wrote:[tw]1575266715293843462?s=46&t=e9WoyAvNSCgHI48OUgvxwA[/tw]

Brutal. Reminds me of scenes from Titanic and Poseidon Adventure.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-09-29, 08:17

What a difference 50 years makes.

[tw]1575180764471246862[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-09-29, 09:07

You know what. I'll retract my statement about the evacuee's and those that stayed. This storm was supposed to go further north when it turned with less than 24 hours into Ft Myers and that area. The roads were already clogged with people evacuating Sarasota and possibly Bradenton. The storm surge has never been seen before. 24 hours may sound like a long time, but it really isn't, especially if a drive that would normally be an hour or 2 long could be 4+ hours. Let alone finding a place to stay. I saw 3 chinook helicopters flying over my house and heading somewhere to SW Florida.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-09-29, 09:31

InTenSity wrote:You know what. I'll retract my statement about the evacuee's and those that stayed. This storm was supposed to go further north when it turned with less than 24 hours into Ft Myers and that area. The roads were already clogged with people evacuating Sarasota and possibly Bradenton. The storm surge has never been seen before. 24 hours may sound like a long time, but it really isn't, especially if a drive that would normally be an hour or 2 long could be 4+ hours. Let alone finding a place to stay. I saw 3 chinook helicopters flying over my house and heading somewhere to SW Florida.

It's already being reported that hundreds of people are dead. That number will probably sky rocket in the next few days and I can't imagine a worse way to die.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-09-29, 09:31

My 88 y.o father, like a lot of people in the Ft Myers area, apparently, underestimated it and rode it out.
Luckily he's fine, but got a dose of religion yesterday, apparently a lot of others aren't so lucky.
His pool cage started coming apart and he thought he'd go outside and tie it down, Shocked  it's gone.
I think that's when he realized shit was real and stayed inside watching the water creeping up toward his house.
Luckily never got in, but close enough to drowned his generator. Not sure what other damage, yet
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-09-29, 10:55

Apparently a 72 year old male went out to empty his pool and is now dead. WTF would someone go out to empty their pool in the middle of a hurricane?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 11:06

duffy munn wrote:
InTenSity wrote:You know what. I'll retract my statement about the evacuee's and those that stayed. This storm was supposed to go further north when it turned with less than 24 hours into Ft Myers and that area. The roads were already clogged with people evacuating Sarasota and possibly Bradenton. The storm surge has never been seen before. 24 hours may sound like a long time, but it really isn't, especially if a drive that would normally be an hour or 2 long could be 4+ hours. Let alone finding a place to stay. I saw 3 chinook helicopters flying over my house and heading somewhere to SW Florida.

It's already being reported that hundreds of people are dead. That number will probably sky rocket in the next few days and I can't imagine a worse way to die.

That number is totally a WAG at this point.  The AP report was that a law officer just made it up with no data.  Let's hope it is wrong.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-09-29, 11:07; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-29, 11:07

Jake from State Farm wrote:Apparently a 72 year old male went out to empty his pool and is now dead. WTF would someone go out to empty their pool in the middle of a hurricane?

The fucking idiot that used to live next door to me went out in the middle of Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and started up his generator. Because a running gas motor with the engine and gas tank completely exposed, in 100 mph winds that can toss things bigger than a generator, is such a good idea. What made it worse, was he put it on MY lawn, which also means it was only about 10 feet from my house. When the storm cleared, I fucking laid into him. It took a lot to keep from punching him.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 11:09

InTenSity wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Good
Not the city... the actual bay.

Oh, not so good
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 11:10

It looks to me like the Swillers who live in FL are posting today, a good thing.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 11:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Wood frame houses are a form of construction all over the country as they as cheap to build.

Except in most of Florida. Even houses built in the 1950s/60s down here are cinderblock, except the roof of course. Maybe less so in inland areas like Orlando, or older areas like North Florida. Most areas of the country are wood, like you said. I only singled out Michigan since that's where most of you are.

Interesting, because of termites maybe?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-29, 11:13

duffy munn wrote:

To be fair, I believe the Sheriff of Lee County speculated that they could have that many, so not really reported like it is confirmed or a starting point.

It is certainly possible though. There are thousands of mobile homes just across the bridges from Sanibel and Ft Myers Beach (so still just off the water ways meaning massive storm surge). Aerial footage of that area showed mobile homes on their side, upside down, jammed up against others. I saw another video (I think from more inland in Ft Myers), of one mobile home getting shredded in an instant, almost like it had exploded (but no ball of fire).

If many people stayed in those, it will definitely increase the toll.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-29, 11:24

Thats the excuse we will hear, as people blame anyone but themselves. Im sure some will try to sue the National Weather Service. But thats bullshit, IMO. Even when everyone thought it was going to Tampa, Ft Myers was still in the cone, and the center path still had it going very close to Ft Myers, with 100mph+ winds and 5-8 foot storm surge predicted. If people thought that wasn't enough, or that a slight change in direction when they're still very much in the cone, wasn't going to happen, then I don't know what to tell them. And if anyone lived in a mobile home or on the coast, then they still had plenty of time to get to a shelter. They don't have to get several hours away in order to get to a much safer place.

And I'm not a "everyone should evacuate" person. But I do believe that those under mandatory evacuation zones should have.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-29, 11:26

Part of the causeway to Sanibel is gone.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-29, 11:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

To be fair, I believe the Sheriff of Lee County speculated that they could have that many, so not really reported like it is confirmed or a starting point.

It is certainly possible though. There are thousands of mobile homes just across the bridges from Sanibel and Ft Myers Beach (so still just off the water ways meaning massive storm surge). Aerial footage of that area showed mobile homes on their side, upside down, jammed up against others. I saw another video (I think from more inland in Ft Myers), of one mobile home getting shredded in an instant, almost like it had exploded (but no ball of fire).

If many people stayed in those, it will definitely increase the toll.

Goodness gracious.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-29, 11:28

The Pantry wrote:Part of the causeway to Sanibel is gone.

Can’t blame it for leaving. The weather really sucked.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-09-29, 11:33

I.B. Fine wrote:My 88 y.o father, like a lot of people in the Ft Myers area, apparently, underestimated it and rode it out.
Luckily he's fine, but got a dose of religion yesterday, apparently a lot of others aren't so lucky.
His pool cage started coming apart and he thought he'd go outside and tie it down, Shocked  it's gone.
I think that's when he realized shit was real and stayed inside watching the water creeping up toward his house.
Luckily never got in, but close enough to drowned his generator. Not sure what other damage, yet

Glad your pops is okay. Oh, and now we know which of your parents passed along the mutated common sense gene. Hurricane Ian - Page 3 1494614055 Hurricane Ian - Page 3 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 11:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Thats the excuse we will hear, as people blame anyone but themselves. Im sure some will try to sue the National Weather Service. But thats bullshit, IMO. Even when everyone thought it was going to Tampa, Ft Myers was still in the cone, and the center path still had it going very close to Ft Myers, with 100mph+ winds and 5-8 foot storm surge predicted. If people thought that wasn't enough, or that a slight change in direction when they're still very much in the cone, wasn't going to happen, then I don't know what to tell them. And if anyone lived in a mobile home or on the coast, then they still had plenty of time to get to a shelter. They don't have to get several hours away in order to get to a much safer place.

And I'm not a "everyone should evacuate" person. But I do believe that those under mandatory evacuation zones should have.

Anyone on those sandbar-like islands should have left, foresure.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-29, 11:58

Some of you that are familiar with Ft Myers Beach may have been to Times Square, which is (was) all the shopping and restaurant places by the pier, right where you cross over the bridge from the mainland. It is leveled.

This tweeter has some other videos of the area, too, showing the destruction.
[tw]1575498520370376704?t=OZ7tn7Z1Q14tk6I41SYApw&s=19[/tw]
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-09-29, 12:03

Yep, its gone in 3 different sections. Definitely only reachable by boat or helicopter.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-09-29, 12:13

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yep, its gone in 3 different sections. Definitely only reachable by boat or helicopter.

That thing is fucked. Not just the parts of the bridge spans that have collapsed, but the inland foundation has been washed out. That is not a quick fix.

https://www.fox4now.com/weather/hurricane-center/causeway-collapse-broken-spirit-ians-wrath-upon-swfl
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-09-29, 12:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:Some of you that are familiar with Ft Myers Beach may have been to Times Square, which is (was) all the shopping and restaurant places by the pier, right where you cross over the bridge from the mainland. It is leveled.

This tweeter has some other videos of the area, too, showing the destruction.
[tw]1575498520370376704?t=OZ7tn7Z1Q14tk6I41SYApw&s=19[/tw]

Damn...
and the other side of the causeway was torn up for the Margaritaville resort
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2022-09-29, 12:31

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:My 88 y.o father, like a lot of people in the Ft Myers area, apparently, underestimated it and rode it out.

Glad your pops is okay. Oh, and now we know which of your parents passed along the mutated common sense gene. Hurricane Ian - Page 3 1494614055 Hurricane Ian - Page 3 2809484752

I hope I would have GTFO. Wind is one thing, tidal surge is another.
I have no desire to drowned in my attic or swim with sharks, snakes and sewage...
The late course change really threw a lot of people, heading in and north put you right in the track of it, unless you got all the way to Georgia. Miami was the safer choice.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2022-09-29, 12:50

Glad the Florida swill contingent is ok. Here’s hoping DeSantis can take his head out of his ass long enough to coordinate. Or that he has the sense to get out of the way and let the professionals handle it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2022-09-29, 13:12

MIA - DTW right now. Straight over central and north Florida. Lots of clouds below. The 1 time I'd like a window seat.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next