Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Ian

+18
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
duffy munn
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
PennSpartan
NigelUno
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
22 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Hurricane Ian - Page 2 Empty Re: Hurricane Ian

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 am

Lot of nice places on Captiva. 16 feet would likely put the whole island under water
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:35 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
I was watching one of the stations and they were reporting that most people have decided to stay home rather than evacuate. So after this storm there are going to be a lot of stories of people who wish they wouldn't have stayed behind and should have evacuated.

I don’t understand why people do this. Maybe it’s because I live in Michigan. But if I had several days notice that a tornado was going to be in my area on a certain day, I would get my family out of here that day. Wouldn’t batten down the hatches on the house or anything, pretty unlikely it’s actually going to hit my house, but why take a chance and stay if I know it could be very bad?

Perfect analogy
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:41 am

The accuracy of the long range forecasts has gotten crazy good over the last few years or so. It's pretty much going exactly where they said it would 5+ days ago. Used to be I wanted to be in the middle of the cone that far out because I knew it would always change.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:05 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
I was watching one of the stations and they were reporting that most people have decided to stay home rather than evacuate. So after this storm there are going to be a lot of stories of people who wish they wouldn't have stayed behind and should have evacuated.

I don’t understand why people do this. Maybe it’s because I live in Michigan. But if I had several days notice that a tornado was going to be in my area on a certain day, I would get my family out of here that day. Wouldn’t batten down the hatches on the house or anything, pretty unlikely it’s actually going to hit my house, but why take a chance and stay if I know it could be very bad?
Yesterday it was looking like a direct hit on Tampa, last night it moved further south. A little wobble can change the trajectory by about 100 miles. A lot of people want to 'tough it out', prove they are better than nature, or it isn't as bad as they show on TV. The ones that piss me off are the families with small kids. Ok you survived the storm, but now its going to take a week for anyone to get to you and get you out, while you have no power or water.
If there is a 16ft storm surge, this is going to be unlike anything since Katrina, IMO, although hopefully not in as populated an area. I still think Tampa is going to be affected but hopefully not as bad. I think I also heard it is now moving at 2 mph, that is basically stalled out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:38 pm

I would feel the need to pertekt.. shooting my gun at the hurricane..

pew pew!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 pm

Tampa Bay is fucking empty right now. Suspect
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:21 pm

I have a cousin in ft Meyer. There are 2 little kids and 1 on the way. I don't get it. They have the means to evacuate, but they didn't.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:54 pm

Regarding evacuation, they have evacuation zones.  Those are based primarily on potential for storm surge.  If you're not at threat for that, you aren't asked to evacuate, and that usually only extends a mile or less inland.  If you have shutters or hurricane impact windows, and aren't in an evacuation zone, you aren't at a big risk of real danger.  When you see roofs ripped off a house, it is because a window broke, the hurricane gets inside the house, and the roof gives because it is getting destroyed from the inside.

Don't think of it in terms a tornado in Michigan, because your houses are primarily made if wood, right?  Isn't brick usually decorative?  So think of Michigan houses as the 2nd little pig when the big bad wolf comes huffing puffing, and Florida homes are the 3rd little pig.

Having said that, there are older homes, a TON of mobile homes (not just like UM fans, even really nice ones that retirees buy).  And some people don't have shutters or hurricane windows. It's madness to stay in any of those situations.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Dendrobates wrote:I have a cousin in ft Meyer. There are 2 little kids and 1 on the way. I don't get it. They have the means to evacuate, but they didn't.

I don't either Dendro. The going down with the ship people need to understand it's just a ship. And it's insured.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Condo we go down to is two miles south of St Pete Beach. Our front door is maybe 50 yards from the gulf. I’m thinking it’s fucked.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:32 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:Regarding evacuation, they have evacuation zones.  Those are based primarily on potential for storm surge.  If you're not at threat for that, you aren't asked to evacuate, and that usually only extends a mile or less inland.  If you have shutters or hurricane impact windows, and aren't in an evacuation zone, you aren't at a big risk of real danger.  When you see roofs ripped off a house, it is because a window broke, the hurricane gets inside the house, and the roof gives because it is getting destroyed from the inside.

Don't think of it in terms a tornado in Michigan, because your houses are primarily made if wood, right?  Isn't brick usually decorative?  So think of Michigan houses as the 2nd little pig when the big bad wolf comes huffing puffing, and Florida homes are the 3rd little pig.

Having said that, there are older homes, a TON of mobile homes (not just like UM fans, even really nice ones that retirees buy).  And some people don't have shutters or hurricane windows. It's madness to stay in any of those situations.

I’ve long maintained I didn’t want to retire to Florida, but this cements it. No way I want to live in a pig.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:38 pm

SIL went to stay with her daughter farther inland, Bradenton area. They're currently trying to keep water out of their house. Daughter's brother is without power at his house. Gonna be a long day and night for them.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm

Didn’t realize how many friends are in the Tampa area, with one in Fort Myers. All of them bugged out, but I can’t tell if the woman in Fort Myers is staying or not. She says she’s safe, so alrighty then.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:57 pm

Miami that makes sense but I’d still just go for a drive because hey staying here sounds more dangerous than not staying here.

I have another question though- a lot of people own condos and stuff all along the coast of florida but don’t regularly live there. Do they have like services that will come to secure their windows and shit if necessary before a hurricane? It would seem insane for them to fly in, do whatever they gotta do, and fly out when a major storm is on the way. Seems to make sense to pay someone else to do it. Is that a thing?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:41 pm

[tw]1575194411104817152?s=46&t=bBd504A2FZUJbadp8GEz4Q[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Miami that makes sense but I’d still just go for a drive because hey staying here sounds more dangerous than not staying here.

I have another question though- a lot of people own condos and stuff all along the coast of florida but don’t regularly live there. Do they have like services that will come to secure their windows and shit if necessary before a hurricane? It would seem insane for them to fly in, do whatever they gotta do, and fly out when a major storm is on the way. Seems to make sense to pay someone else to do it. Is that a thing?

Yes, there are usually management companies, and/or third parties that don't that kind of thing if necessary. But people in those condos usually close their shutters when they head back to wherever their permanent residence is. And so many have hurricane windows now that even that they don't even have to worry about shutters.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:59 pm

Water in Tampa Bay recedes dramatically as Hurricane Ian approaches
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:03 pm

Mrs. GreenWay informs me we have friends in Cape Coral. This will be their first hurricane since moving to FLA less than a year ago. They decided to stay put. They are also anti-vaxxers, so make of that what you will.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:07 pm

The Pantry wrote:Water in Tampa Bay recedes dramatically as Hurricane Ian approaches

I'm not a weathertologist, but I don't think that is a good sign.

Last edited by Nordic on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:08 pm

DWags wrote:[tw]1575194411104817152?s=46&t=bBd504A2FZUJbadp8GEz4Q[/tw]

SyFy will be airing their new movie Sharkicane in November.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm

My Business partner move down to Englewood Florida. He left and went to his sons house in Miami. Said he had shattered up his house and is hoping for the best. He tells me he’s 5 miles from the ocean. He doesn’t know if the surge will make it to his house but he’s very worried about it. He was bragging to me how he has these electronic shutters put on his house a couple years ago. Today he was telling me he hopes they’re enough
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:[tw]1575194411104817152?s=46&t=bBd504A2FZUJbadp8GEz4Q[/tw]

SyFy will be airing their new movie Sharkicane in November.

Starring IAN Ziering, naturally.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:21 pm

Judging from vid from Weather Channel so far, this thing isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hope it stays that way.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:27 pm

The Pantry wrote:Judging from vid from Weather Channel so far, this thing isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Hope it stays that way.
It's bad.  My buddy in Naples lives on a canal. Water is 3 feet from entering his house,  his house is about 8 feet or so above the canal.  This is going to be bad.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:28 pm

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Water in Tampa Bay recedes dramatically as Hurricane Ian approaches

I'm weathertologist, but I don't think that is a good sign.
You'd think that after the 2004 tsunami, people would know that.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:32 pm

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Judging from vid from Weather Channel so far, this thing isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Hope it stays that way.
It's bad.  My buddy in Naples lives on a canal. Water is 3 feet from entering his house,  his house is about 8 feet or so above the canal.  This is going to be bad.
WC is showing shots from Naples and Sanibel now. Yeah, it looks bad. Good luck to your bud.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:35 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I'm weathertologist, but I don't think that is a good sign.
You'd think that after the 2004 tsunami, people would know that.
It's a completely different event than a Tsunami drawing water out. This is pushed out because the winds were coming from the North, so pushing it South out of the bay. It isn't coming back in as a Tsunami, and should be gradual.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:43 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You'd think that after the 2004 tsunami, people would know that.
It's a completely different event than a Tsunami drawing water out. This is pushed out because the winds were coming from the North, so pushing it South out of the bay. It isn't coming back in as a Tsunami, and should be gradual.
Yeah, I get that. Just not a good sign in general when water recedes (except for normal tides) cause you know it's coming back bigger than it was.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:48 pm

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
WC is showing shots from Naples and Sanibel now.  Yeah, it looks bad.  Good luck to your bud.

Yeah, it is hard to imagine just how bad.  Storm surge in Ft Myers is up to the second floor of houses and it hasn't even peaked yet.
[tw]1575189530943946752?t=AoTvmNZFeF--N23O-3S-GQ&s=19[/tw]

And this, especially the 0:35 mark with the collapsed houses floating.
[tw]1575188234010705920?t=FUg2jzLyAH5HKV9XNXUZAQ&s=19[/tw]

And only a few pictures and vids are getting out so far.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, I get that. Just not a good sign in general when water recedes (except for normal tides) cause you know it's coming back bigger than it was.
Right. Fortunately, I don't THINK it will come back bigger than it was. At least as I'm imaging it, the circulation of the storm won't be pushing the water back in, sonl it should flow naturally. I'm not positive about that, though.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:34 pm

InTenSity wrote:Tampa Bay is fucking empty right now. Suspect

Good
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:35 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:Regarding evacuation, they have evacuation zones.  Those are based primarily on potential for storm surge.  If you're not at threat for that, you aren't asked to evacuate, and that usually only extends a mile or less inland.  If you have shutters or hurricane impact windows, and aren't in an evacuation zone, you aren't at a big risk of real danger.  When you see roofs ripped off a house, it is because a window broke, the hurricane gets inside the house, and the roof gives because it is getting destroyed from the inside.

Wood frame houses are a form of construction all over the country as they as cheap to build.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:09 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Tampa Bay is fucking empty right now. Suspect

Good
Not the city... the actual bay.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Hurricane Ian - Page 2 Img_5610

That's a 2 story building in pelican Bay. This is Bonita Bay,  just north of naples.

Last edited by InTenSity on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:12 pm

My friends in Naples at around noon said high winds no power. Much worse now.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:16 pm

Someone here has family in Punta Gorda if I remember correctly.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:28 pm

kingstonlake wrote:Someone here has family in Punta Gorda if I remember correctly.

My Dad's place was there, he sold it in July.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 pm

Sorta wonder. Do some people not evacuate because they've watched too much Weather Channel coverage of hurricanes? "Here, hold my beer. I can do that."
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:33 pm

The Pantry wrote:Sorta wonder.  Do some people not evacuate because they've watched too much Weather Channel coverage of hurricanes?  "Here, hold my beer.  I can do that."
Do you want me to tell you the type that think they should ride this out?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:41 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
WC is showing shots from Naples and Sanibel now.  Yeah, it looks bad.  Good luck to your bud.

Yeah, it is hard to imagine just how bad.  Storm surge in Ft Myers is up to the second floor of houses and it hasn't even peaked yet.
[tw]1575189530943946752?t=AoTvmNZFeF--N23O-3S-GQ&s=19[/tw]

And this, especially the 0:35 mark with the collapsed houses floating.
[tw]1575188234010705920?t=FUg2jzLyAH5HKV9XNXUZAQ&s=19[/tw]

And only a few pictures and vids are getting out so far.

Now that sonuvabitch Ian is censoring images, too? What an asshole.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next