Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 Presidential Election

+21
sεяεηιτλ
Cameron
DWags
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
steveschneider
Nordic
InTenSity
Wally Fairway
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
Pervis Muldoon
Robert J Sakimano
RQA
AvgMSUJoe
PennSpartan
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Trapper Gus
aualum06
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 Empty Re: 2024 Presidential Election

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 07:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Big delay so the Russian Quisling Agent could get new talking points after the MI GOP puked all over their shoes in the MI midterms.

Wouldn't be surprised to see CA's Newsom vs TX's Abbott

US Senate was a path to the Presidency but the way the US Senate has let things stagnate last 12 years has removed a lot of prestige from being a member of that legislative body.

Not really.  Not directly anyway.  Obama and JFK are the only presidents in the last 100 years that went from the Senate to the Presidency.  

I believe 4 others in the last 100 years were former presidents, but had been VPs more recently than Senators.  And two of those only ascended to the Presidency due to the death of their predecessor.

So the Senate has been a path to the vice Presidency, and to getting nominated, but in the latter case usually ended up in a loss.

Presidents who have been Senators

Biden
Obama
Nixon
LBJ
Kennedy
Truman
Harding
Harrison
Johnson
Buchanan
Pierce
Tyler
Harrison
Van Buren
Jackson
Adams
Monroe

Some have been in the US House, too. I sort of think being a Governor is training for the Presidency.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-11-10, 08:14

"I'm SURE she doesn't WORK... lazy progressive millennials only want handouts, amiright. Playing on her computer isn't even a REAL job... sheesh."

This quote brought to you today by douchy grumpy clueless old guy yelling at clouds and cracks in the sidewalk and his neighbor's squirrels and whatever else he can.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 09:04

GRR Spartan wrote:Big delay so the Russian Quisling Agent could get new talking points ...
Sorry to burst your bubble Gramps but I was spot on with my election prediction.

My prediction was that Whitmer would be re-elected (every incumbent gov runnig in the country was re-elected) along with the other executives and that all the props would pass.   I predicted the HOR would flip but that the Senate would be held by dems once they found out how many votes they needed.  

The only thing I was wrong about is that the Senate may actually flip too.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:09

RQA wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Big delay so the Russian Quisling Agent could get new talking points ...
Sorry to burst your bubble Gramps but I was spot on with my election prediction.

My prediction was that Whitmer would be re-elected (every incumbent gov runnig in the country was re-elected) along with the other executives and that all the props would pass.   I predicted the HOR would flip but that the Senate would be held by dems once they found out how many votes they needed.  

What you didn't predict was the Blue Wave in Michigan flipping the State Legislature.

edit - also it will be interesting to see how many more people voted Blue for the HOR. It is looking the highly gerrymandered state of FL, where the vote is almost 50/50 but the gerrymander causes the seats to be 20 / 8 may be the reason the HOR flips. What a farce, we need a National Districting Law like the ones in MI, CA 7 (I think) AZ.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-10, 09:16

Trapper Gus wrote:
RQA wrote:

What you didn't predict was the Blue Wave in Michigan flipping the State Legislature.

edit - also it will be interesting to see how many more people voted Blue for the HOR. It is looking the highly gerrymandered state of FL, where the vote is almost 50/50 but the gerrymander causes the seats to be 20 / 8 may be the reason the HOR flips. What a farce, we need a National Districting Law like the ones in MI, CA 7 (I think) AZ.

He didn’t predict shit, don’t fall down that trap and follow him. Dudes been trying to do victory dances since June and everyone knows it no matter what he tries to say now. Any other random post he made was just hedging. You don’t need to engage him on it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:He didn’t predict shit, don’t fall down that trap and follow him. Dudes been trying to do victory dances since June and everyone knows it no matter what he tries to say now. Any other random post he made was just hedging. You don’t need to engage him on it

Good Point
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2022-11-10, 09:20

Trapper Gus wrote:
Wally Fairway wrote:
What a shitstorm that would be
Someone please tell there are better candidate, our democracy may depend on this - dead serious with this post

Better in what sense, since both have won a Presidental Election they are proven as winning candidates.

I would like a younger set, myself, but as of yet really don't see the combination of some experience and a younger age on the Democratic side that I get excited about and of course the Republican side is a shit show.
Jimmy Carter is also a proven winning candidate (by your definition) - should he be considered? (Oh yeah BHB, GWB and WJC are term limited)

One of these guys is a mumbling octogenarian and the other is a misogynistic narcissistic self-center egotistic asshole - but sure those are choices too.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:24

Wally Fairway wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Better in what sense, since both have won a Presidental Election they are proven as winning candidates.

I would like a younger set, myself, but as of yet really don't see the combination of some experience and a younger age on the Democratic side that I get excited about and of course the Republican side is a shit show.
Jimmy Carter is also a proven winning candidate (by your definition) - should he be considered? (Oh yeah BHB, GWB and WJC are term limited)

One of these guys is a mumbling octogenarian and the other is a misogynistic narcissistic self-center egotistic asshole - but sure those are choices too.

If Jimmy Carter runs and wins the nomination, I will vote for him.  He was a better President than any of the Republicans before or after him.

edit - you are aware that Biden has had a stuttering issue all his life, actually I hope you don't know that because if you do then fuck off and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-10, 09:26; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-10, 09:26

I gave it a lot of thought for 2024 and I think I have the best ticket for the dems.....

Biden Harris
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-11-10, 09:27

per the 'pro-life' christians who find words confusing, I'll be able to get an abortion at my dentist appt on Monday. 2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:28

Robert J Sakimano wrote:per the 'pro-life' christians who find words confusing, I'll be able to get an abortion at my dentist appt on Monday. 2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 3493939353

Prop 3 does not go into effect until December 24th, maybe you can get on for Boxing day
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 09:31

Trapper Gus wrote:

I did not opine on the MI state legislature. But given that MI is a democrat state with union controlled politics that should not come as a surprise to anyone.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 09:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote: who find words confusing

It was the board leftists who flailed about trying to explain what the term "attending health care professional" meant in prop 3.

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:40

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I did not opine on the MI state legislature. But given that MI is a democrat state with union controlled politics that should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Oh sure, that is why the Republicans controlled the legislature since 1984.

2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 420617953
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 09:41

RQA wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: who find words confusing

It was the board leftists who flailed about trying to explain what the term "attending health care professional"  meant in prop 3.

Pretty sure it was your overlords, the leaders of the churches.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 09:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

He didn’t predict shit

Give me a break, Boss ...

Given that the board leftists like to misquote me and/or put words in my mouth to argue against ("strawman"), I thought it best to be on record as to my thoughts about the upcoming election.

I specifically said that Whitmer and the other executive officers in MI would win (didn't exactly go out on the limb there) and that all the props would pass (not out on the limb with that one either) and the the HOR would flip (again, I am a realist) but that the Senate would stay dem.

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-10, 09:43

RQA wrote:

He didn’t predict shit

Given that the board leftists like to misquote me and/or put words in my mouth to argue against ("strawman"), I thought it best to be on record as to my thoughts about the upcoming election.

I specifically said that Whitmer and the other executive officers in MI would win (didn't exactly go out on the limb there) and that all the props would pass (not out on the limb with that one either) and the the HOR would flip (again, I am a realist) but that the Senate would stay dem.

2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5o06mua4cutj51u9sawwc02rq80rp4ev8o8hvo39f&rid=200
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2022-11-10, 09:47

Trapper Gus wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Not really.  Not directly anyway.  Obama and JFK are the only presidents in the last 100 years that went from the Senate to the Presidency.  

I believe 4 others in the last 100 years were former presidents, but had been VPs more recently than Senators.  And two of those only ascended to the Presidency due to the death of their predecessor.

So the Senate has been a path to the vice Presidency, and to getting nominated, but in the latter case usually ended up in a loss.

Biden
Obama
Nixon
LBJ
Kennedy
Truman
Harding
Harrison
Johnson
Buchanan
Pierce
Tyler
Harrison
Van Buren
Jackson
Adams
Monroe

Some have been in the US House, too. I sort of think being a Governor is training for the Presidency.
Right, many have been Senators, but, at least in the last 100 years, only 2 of those Senators that became President were not VPs.

I agree, Governor is more of a path. Maybe it's the idea of having some experience in the executive branch (VP or governor). Even Coolidge (I think?) had one or two cabinet position before president.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-10, 09:52

RQA wrote:

He didn’t predict shit

Going back to the Presidential 2024 race, it seems to me Republicans have a real problem on their hands. Trump does not want to give up his grip on the party, but his influence is not helping. Seems Biden and Dems are in a better position than the GOP now.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 09:54

Trapper Gus wrote:

You're back to this bullshit again?
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Trapper Gus and PennSpartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-10, 10:10

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Trapper likes to complain about trolling, except when he’s doing it.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 10:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Biden
Obama
Nixon
LBJ
Kennedy
Truman
Harding
Harrison
Johnson
Buchanan
Pierce
Tyler
Harrison
Van Buren
Jackson
Adams
Monroe

Right, many have been Senators, but, at least in the last 100 years, only 2 of those Senators that became President were not VPs.

I agree, Governor is more of a path. Maybe it's the idea of having some experience in the executive branch (VP or governor). Even Coolidge (I think?) had one or two cabinet position before president.

Hoover also was a cabinet member.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 10:18

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Oh, come one, you have claimed to be a member of exactly the cohort which votes almost at a 90% rate for Republicans.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 10:19

PennSpartan wrote:
RQA wrote:

Trapper likes to complain about trolling, except when he’s doing it.

I do troll the trolls. 2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 420617953
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-11-10, 10:45

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:per the 'pro-life' christians who find words confusing, I'll be able to get an abortion at my dentist appt on Monday.  2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 3493939353

Prop 3 does not go into effect until December 24th
those pesky women get to start killing children just in time to celebrate the birth of baby jesus!!  2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 10:57

Trapper Gus wrote:
RQA wrote:

Districting. Once the job fell into the hands of democrats the outcome is hardly surprising.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 11:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Prop 3 does not go into effect until December 24th
those pesky women get to start killing children just in time to celebrate the birth of baby jesus!!  2024 Presidential Election  - Page 3 502811600

Well....

I read years ago that if there really was a real person, Jesus, that, based on the stories about Joseph & Mary returning to Bethlehem for taxation, he was probably born sometime in September or October after the harvests were done, but before the winter rains made all the roads into mud.

Of course, since so many of the "heathens" celebrated the Winter Solstice, the Catholic Church changed the date of his birth to be on the same day, to try to rope in the unbelievers.

Just one more thing the Church changed, just like in 1869 they changed when a fetus was a person from 24 weeks to 0 seconds.  Anyone who trusts the Christians to be honest about anything they "believe" in is a fool.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 11:11

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Districting. Once the job fell into the hands of democrats the outcome is hardly surprising.

The districting commission has 4 Democratic Members, 4 Republican Members and 5 Independent Members.

There are rules about some members from each subgroup must vote yes for a districting plan to be approved.

The districts approved, when reviewed by voting experts, were thought to give the Republicans a slight edge, which given that more people vote for Democratics pissed off a bunch of Democratics.

It looks like abortion turned this election, in Michigan, into a Blue Wave that overcame the slight advantage the districts gave the Republicans.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

sεяεηιτλ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-11-10, 11:14

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

This, of course, is another lie of yours. I cant believe you just don’t want honest debate. You cant be that kind of ass.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-11-10, 11:14

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I think you mean, fell out of the hands of republicans to an independent commission... get it right.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/how-michigan-republicans-are-trying-sway-state-s-independent-redistricting-n1283296
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/expert-testifies-gerrymandering-michigan-worse-almost-anywhere
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-11-10, 11:30

DWags wrote:
RQA wrote:

This, of course, is another lie of yours. I cant believe you just don’t want honest debate. You cant be that kind of ass.

More than happy to have an honest debate about it. Clearly districting in recent history favored Republicans.

Now comes an "independent'" commission to do the job. Equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats plus 5 "independent" members. Let's look at these independent members:

1. lists in his bio that he is a strong supporter of prop 2. Is that the position of a Republican or Democrat?

2. A northern Michigan attorney. Do attorneys more often support D or R?

3. A Wayne County attorney.

4. A retired banker. Likely R

5. Auto worker from Saginaw.

4/5 are likely democratic leaning.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 11:47

RQA wrote:
DWags wrote:

More than happy to have an honest debate about it. Clearly districting in recent history favored Republicans.

Now comes an "independent'" commission to do the job. Equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats plus 5 "independent" members. Let's look at these independent members:

1. lists in his bio that he is a strong supporter of prop 2. Is that the position of a Republican or Democrat?

Maybe start with the resulting districts they put in place. These were reviewed by a number of independent experts, both as part of the process, and by the press just to report on what was happening.

All the experts said that the Districting slightly favored a Republican majority in the State legislature, and in the US House.

Your attempt at a conspiracy theory doesn't hold up the results of the commission.

Furthermore, it is hugely flawed.

Could be either, there are honest Republicans, those from the Millikan branch of the party.

Could be either, there are just as many lawyers who are Republicans as Democratics. I would suggest since he is a northerner, he is more likely republican, but that is too much of a generalization.

Could be either, there are just as many lawyers who are Republicans as Democratics.

Could be either, there are bankers who are Republicans and bankers who are Democratics.

Could be either, there are auto workers who are Republicans and auto workers who are Democratics. In fact, Trump has shown this person is more likely a Republican, but again that is an assumption that cannot be proven.

4/5 are likely democratic leaning - total BS RQA - only in your twisted mind, and it doesn't deal with the fact that the districts as set up slightly favored Republicans even though more people in Michigan typically vote for Demcratics.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-11-10, 14:40

RQA wrote:
DWags wrote:

So in other words you are just guessing based on jobs. Blue collar, white collar, whatever. Let me ask you this, I live in Macomb County, where very many people live in one or two bedroom single floor houses, they work at one of the big three as factory workers. Their average income as well below six figures. They are, for a lack of a better word, blue-collar workers. In your opinion do you think they supported trump more, or Biden more?

Also, I’m sure we all have a bunch of friends who are attorneys, take a guess, in my circle of friends who happen to be attorneys, the percentage of home are republican, and who are Democrat.

My point is you are really making huge assumptions. And frankly, districting was way more biased when republicans were in charge.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-11-10, 14:45

DWags wrote:
RQA wrote:

So in other words you are just guessing based on jobs. Blue collar, white collar, whatever. Let me ask you this, I live in Macomb County, where very many people live in one or two bedroom single floor houses, they work at one of the big three as factory workers. Their average income as well below six figures. They are, for a lack of a better word, blue-collar workers. In your opinion do you think they supported trump more, or Biden more?

Also, I’m sure we all have a bunch of friends who are attorneys, take a guess, in my circle of friends who happen to be attorneys, the percentage of home are republican, and who are Democrat.

My point is you are really making huge assumptions. And frankly, districting was way more biased when republicans were in charge.
neither here nor there, but my wife is an attorney and she makes me and my politics look like Strom Thurmond.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-11-10, 16:08

I am not party affiliated. In fact I wouldn't call myself a Dem for anything... THAT SAID, I doubt I will EVER vote for an r.

To be clear, not voting for an R is not saying I'm a D... it's saying I'm not a asshole.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Trapper Gus, sεяεηιτλ and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2022-11-10, 16:30

Perhaps my least favorite thing about Republicans is how they drive me to defend and support Democrats.

It used to be that both parties were kinda shitty, but in rather similar ways. To my mind, the Democrats have stayed about the same (in terms of overall quality, obviously specific policies/issues have evolved over time), whereas the Republicans seem to be engaged in some sort of perverse experiment where they see how crazy and stupid they can get and still win elections. Makes for a pretty easy choice most of the time.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2022-11-10, 17:27

RQA wrote:
DWags wrote:

Rofl, you can explain anything away by just stating you don't trust the integrity of the system. Ergo, you will never ever be happy when something positive occurs for democrats, because such and such. You are basing the integrity on flimsy associations. Guess what, I know lots of repubs support 2, every one of the many guys I know in the auto industry are Rs..except only 1. And that 1 is not confirmed. Every attorney I know is R, and the bankers I know lean R. There you have it, I'm now arguing at your level. Doesn't this all sound ridiculous?
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Wally Fairway and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-10, 18:54

DWags wrote:
RQA wrote:

Engineers tend to be Republican, except when they are not.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-11-10, 19:11

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

Engineers tend to be Republican, except when they are not.

Its hard to cornhole anyone into a specific party. I’d say closest thing I can think of is maybe racist misogynistic people tend to be MAGA’s. Other than that it’s hard.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-11-10, 19:15

When are you going to answer for your crimes dwags? How many bribes did it take to keep you quiet?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next