Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirius - Sports Related

+26
Wally Fairway
Heat Miser
Jake from State Farm
Watch Out Pylon!
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
aualum06
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
I.B. Fine
NigelUno
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
pulling69
StylesGShmooth
AvgMSUJoe
CORNER BLITZ
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
MattyFresh
DWags
Nordic
30 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 Empty Re: Coronavirius - Sports Related

Post by Heat Miser Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 am

steveschneider wrote:Powerful.

https://twitter.com/mlbonfox/status/1286439030888914945?s=21

Before the anthem. They stood for the anthem. Progress though.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am

I'm still for just not playing the anthem before games. Not needed. I really do respect these players who kneel before if we must play the anthem.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Football team in 14 day quarantine

Couple staff members got the Rona and potentially have to one athlete
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm

DWags wrote:I'm still for just not playing the anthem before games. Not needed. I really do respect these players who kneel before if we must play the anthem.

Especially in front of no crowd, all of the ceremony just seemed really silly. From the ceremonial first pitch stuff, to the announcers excitedly calling out the home team line up like he's firing up the crowd, and then even with the national anthem, it just all seemed overly contrived.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:08 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:I'm still for just not playing the anthem before games. Not needed. I really do respect these players who kneel before if we must play the anthem.

Especially in front of no crowd, all of the ceremony just seemed really silly. From the ceremonial first pitch stuff, to the announcers excitedly calling out the home team line up like he's firing up the crowd, and then even with the national anthem, it just all seemed overly contrived.

I’m not sure there’s a better example for contrived than pro/college sports. Fans or no fans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I’m not sure there’s a better example for contrived than pro/college sports. Fans or no fans

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

That's a fair point, but most of the contriving, at least with things not on the field, is geared toward the fans. So I guess the lack of fans just highlights it more without people hooting and hollering because the PA announcer stretched out a players name.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:16 am

tGreenWay wrote:

Exactly.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Repeat of Championship match of the great Swill 2K Tourney of 2020 on NBA TV right now.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm

steve wrote:The only way out of this is to have a coordinated strategy and testing. You test, isolate the positives and the virus vanished quickly. So simple but so hard and that’s why we won’t see sports again.

Continuing from Yankees/Phillies thread.

This is wrong imo. It just depends on the sport.

The bubble WILL work if teams/personnel are committed to it. MLS and TBT proved that on a small scale, and so far so good for NHL and NBA. Lou Williams and his scrip club chicken wings be damned, the NBA is doing a great job of enforcing the bubble while still allowing the players to have some fun. It actually looks like fun. Guys are golfing and fishing and bowling and spending more time around teammates than they normally do. They are shotgunning beers and playing cards and hooping. It looks like college basically, without the girls. I kind of want to be in the bubble.

I have no doubt the NHL will be similar, especially since they are in areas with far less community spread. And key is people can voluntarily opt out.

I initially (in March) thought that CFB would happen, but I underestimated how far we would be in our fight against the virus, and I also thought $$ would press it forward. It will, but there's just no chance in a contact sport like that WITHOUT a bubble. And despite my jokes in the other thread, you can't put college kids in a bubble to play sports unless you're totally willing to do away with the farce that is amateur athletics. NIL would have to pass and social contracts would need to be broken. Probably not gonna happen.

MLB, though I hope I'm wrong, I don't see it lasting. The non bubble plan is a poor one. Rosters aren't big enough and I'm not sure there is enough $$ to allow them to power through outbreaks.

NFL needs bubbles. I think NFL will move to bubbles. Not one, but multiple.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:55 pm

I kind of want to be in the bubble. Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 502811600 honestly I don't think I'd mind it either. I mean I'm already in my own fucking bubble just not at disney world.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 502811600

The bummer is the parks aren't accessible to them. I imagine they'd be having some real fun if they were. Silver probably had to commission special security to keep the Lopez brothers out.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:34 pm

If football moves to spring, minus well pencil in every top guy to follow this

[ig]CDPUgBSBBBW[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:27 pm

[ig]CDPWh08FXeY[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:If football moves to spring, minus well pencil in every top guy to follow this

[ig]CDPUgBSBBBW[/ig]

Damn. Yep. Didn't think of that. 

What are they going to do about recruiting? If everyone gets another year, how they going to work scholarships. Adding more costs money and how do you put that genie back in the bottle? Imagine Saban with 108 scholarships. And if you don't increase it, your screwing HS kids. Eligibility is going to be a clusterfuck.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 pm

So much sports on tonight. Baseball, hockey, women's hoops  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 1550444538
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Phillies are the latest team to catch the 'rona. Games vs. Toronto cancelled. This keeps happening and we're gonna have a fuckton of makeup games.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Nordic wrote:I gotta give NASCAR credit on how they've handled the covid situation. First with the racing sims, which I only saw  briefly, but looked pretty real. They've been racing for several weeks now without a corona incident (that I'm aware of). Everyone is masked up and they've adjusted their routine (no practice time during the week). They've been at the forefront of the current social issues, which they've handled about as well as they could have.

Looks like they even have some fans in the stands today, spaced a good distance apart.

The NWSL (women's soccer league) has been a success so far as well. They've been going for a few weeks and just completed the quarter finals of knockout tournament. 8 seed knocked out the 1 seed.  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 1550444538

Gotta give NHL and NBA props too. They've obviously taken it serious from the player lockdown to the fan experience. NBA needs to tune the audio to get rid of the empty gym sound, but visually looks good. Adapt and survive.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:25 am

Bassmasters running strong on ESPN2. St. Lawerence River last week (never been)  Lake Champlain this weekend. Fished a Bassmasters event there 10+ years ago. Great lake (no pub intended). Fished against Zona during that time period. No surprise he has made it a long time as a commenter. He's a fun dude to hang out at Motel 6 with some Jack.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Lets get this party started  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353

Off-campus party results in COVID-19 outbreak among Louisville athletes
https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/coronavirus-uofl-soccer-field-hockey-volleyball-paused-covid-19/417-75c022ad-19d3-494e-a57c-da7ef7d7affc

[tw]1291083458480164864[/tw]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Watching Clippers vs Mavs. I like this new look where coaches aren’t wearing suits. Hoping within my lifetime the suit is a thing of the past.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 pm

steveschneider wrote:Watching Clippers vs Mavs. I like this new look where coaches aren’t wearing suits. Hoping within my lifetime the suit is a thing of the past.

Steve trying to make yet another thread all about ath leisure wear.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Watching Clippers vs Mavs. I like this new look where coaches aren’t wearing suits. Hoping within my lifetime the suit is a thing of the past.

Turtleneck, you haven’t lived until you’ve put on a track suit, a white t shirt and a gold chain. It’s comfortable, it’s professional and you can coach just as well in one as you can in a $2000 Isaia suit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Lets get this party started  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/coronavirus-uofl-soccer-field-hockey-volleyball-paused-covid-19/417-75c022ad-19d3-494e-a57c-da7ef7d7affc

Athletic Director Vince Tyra said he was "incredibly disappointed and frustrated"

Athletic Director Vince Tyra is incredibly stupid for expecting anything different. 
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 pm

Nordic wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:Lets get this party started  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353  Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353

Athletic Director Vince Tyra said he was "incredibly disappointed and frustrated"

Athletic Director Vince Tyra is incredibly stupid for expecting anything different. 

Maybe he had just gotten done liking "wear masks so we can play" posts
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 am

steveschneider wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Turtleneck, you haven’t lived until you’ve put on a track suit, a white t shirt and a gold chain. It’s comfortable, it’s professional and you can coach just as well in one as you can in a $2000 Isaia suit.

Steve wants to be the first Coach Paulie Walnuts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:01 am

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 34b37b61fe4a46121326290124ab86fe
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:38 am

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 34b37b61fe4a46121326290124ab86fe

Is that Steve or Paulie? Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 pm

[ig]CEKhIkPlOJU[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:43 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweaver/2020/08/21/iowa-hawkeyes-drop-4-sports-admit-they-are-in-deep-financial-trouble/#6368e9432102

It’s becoming a pattern. Division I athletic programs are dropping sports as a way to address the looming deficits in their budgets. The University of Iowa did just that on Friday, announcing late in the day that they were eliminating men’s gymnastics, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, and men’s tennis

“The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a financial exigency which threatens Iowa Athletics continued ability to adequately support 24 intercollegiate athletics programs at the desired championship level. In March, the NCAA and Big Ten Conference announced the cancellation of their basketball tournaments and all other competitions for the remainder of the year. On Aug. 11, the Big Ten Conference announced a postponement of fall competitions. Iowa Athletics now projects lost revenue of approximately $100 million and an overall deficit between $60-75 million this fiscal year. A loss of this magnitude will take years to overcome. In collaboration with the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld, we determined the current circumstances require us to adjust our sports sponsorship offerings.”
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 pm

https://www.wxyz.com/sports/joe-dumars-fieldhouse-becomes-a-casualty-of-the-pandemic-and-closes-after-25-years

Anyone in the market for some equipment head out to the liquidation this weekend
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:56 am

Ha. Awesome.

[tw]1298731698725814280[/tw]
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:21 am

Nordic wrote:Ha. Awesome.

Who knew Putin was such a big NBA fan?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 am

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 1486952199

NBA season up in air as Lakers and Clippers reportedly vote to quit playoffs
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

There's a lot going on. Kenny Smith walked off the set of Inside last night.

Draymond had some interesting tweets. No time to look up and embed.

Bucks want to finish the season.

Dame said that LeBron and the Clippers did not vote to quit.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am

[tw]1300451340959838215[/tw]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am

I like Izzo's chances in a Bubble match
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:02 am

[tw]1300939069610885121?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:04 pm

What a day for sports. I never thought I'd watch college foots, Kentucky Derby and Le Tour de France all in one day.

Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 1550444538 Coronavirius - Sports Related - Page 8 3493939353
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Here we go...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30001007/tennessee-titans-close-facility-multiple-players-test-positive-covid-19
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next