Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob how's your garden?

+22
tGreenWay
The Pantry
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
Trapper Gus
Dendrobates
NumbersDude
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Jake from State Farm
Rick Saunders
WhiteBoyHatcher
pulling69
GRR Spartan
Nordic
MattyFresh
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
Robert J Sakimano
26 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 Empty Re: Bob how's your garden?

Post by The Pantry 2022-04-30, 20:21

tGreenWay wrote:Sorry, Pantry. All I’ve ever used is white vinegar out of the bottle. It worked well, though. Killed everything except chickweed. I noticed it killed both the weed and the closest grass, but it doesn’t take long for the grass to grow back.
btw, be very careful where you use salt. You’ll turn the soil right around the immediate area into unusable dirt.
Salt will be minimal. Not planning to spray the solution on things I don't intend to kill. Regular 5% white vinegar seems unsuitable for killing weeds...or am I wrong?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-04-30, 20:30

HOA. Also I have a corner lot and the way the house is built the backyard is relatively small and has a kid playscape thing in it. The side yard is the big open space, but I don’t think they want me building a garden there
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-30, 20:57

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Sorry, Pantry. All I’ve ever used is white vinegar out of the bottle. It worked well, though. Killed everything except chickweed. I noticed it killed both the weed and the closest grass, but it doesn’t take long for the grass to grow back.
btw, be very careful where you use salt. You’ll turn the soil right around the immediate area into unusable dirt.
Salt will be minimal. Not planning to spray the solution on things I don't intend to kill. Regular 5% white vinegar seems unsuitable for killing weeds...or am I wrong?

No idea on what the percentage is. I’ll check mine out tonight or tomorrow and let you know. As for salt, yeah—I have no idea how much renders the soil useless, but I do know whatever amount you put down will leach into the surrounding soil.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-30, 21:01

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:HOA. Also I have a corner lot and the way the house is built the backyard is relatively small and has a kid playscape thing in it. The side yard is the big open space, but I don’t think they want me building a garden there

Could you put in a vegetable garden if you surrounded it with a perennial or wildflower garden? Kind of a camouflage so the rest of the neighborhood doesn’t end up getting the vapors when they see what the new people (aka: you) have done to a perfectly suitable unlandscaped corner lot.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-04-30, 21:47

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:HOA. Also I have a corner lot and the way the house is built the backyard is relatively small and has a kid playscape thing in it. The side yard is the big open space, but I don’t think they want me building a garden there

Could you put in a vegetable garden if you surrounded it with a perennial or wildflower garden? Kind of a camouflage so the rest of the neighborhood doesn’t end up getting the vapors when they see what the new people (aka: you) have done to a perfectly suitable unlandscaped corner lot.

Maybe. Honestly it’s tough to say. Until I actually get the keys next week i can’t say that I have a super great grasp on the lay of the land. I’ve spend a total of like 1.5 hours in the house, mostly thinking about the house itself in that time.

It’s kinda weird to have spent all that money on something but not be able to answer basic questions about it but I think that’s part of the housing market we’re in really. You don’t get 10 opportunities to go see something and wander outside before pulling the trigger
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-01, 00:06

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe. Honestly it’s tough to say. Until I actually get the keys next week i can’t say that I have a super great grasp on the lay of the land. I’ve spend a total of like 1.5 hours in the house, mostly thinking about the house itself in that time.

It’s kinda weird to have spent all that money on something but not be able to answer basic questions about it but I think that’s part of the housing market we’re in really. You don’t get 10 opportunities to go see something and wander outside before pulling the trigger

Did you exempt the house from an inspection? I don’t remember if you did or not.
Also, let me know if you need names for anything, whether it’s painting or hvac or a fixer who works the bribes for Clinton County officials.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-05-01, 02:50

tGreenWay wrote:

Did you exempt the house from an inspection? I don’t remember if you did or not.
Also, let me know if you need names for anything, whether it’s painting or hvac or a fixer who works the bribes for Clinton County officials.

Yeah, it’s been built more recently than Matt coghlin’s freshman year so felt pretty comfortable with that. Probably should have reached out to you on that a bit ago. The new house won’t need anything but we’re reaching the finishing stages on making the old house look presentable
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-05-01, 11:15

My bro just got a house somewhere in Lansing, it was listed less than a day and he had to basically make the offer on the spot. My cousin sold hers in Lansing in less than 24 hours as well. Crazy
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-01, 19:26

tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, it’s been built more recently than Matt coghlin’s freshman year so felt pretty comfortable with that. Probably should have reached out to you on that a bit ago. The new house won’t need anything but we’re reaching the finishing stages on making the old house look presentable

Buying new(ish) def helps. Houses around here are generally selling very quickly, so my guess is yours will move quickly, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-05-01, 20:56

aualum06 wrote:My bro just got a house somewhere in Lansing, it was listed less than a day and he had to basically make the offer on the spot. My cousin sold hers in Lansing in less than 24 hours as well. Crazy

It's gone well beyond crazy. Sellers are receiving a dozen offers over list within hours. Being a buyer is brutal right now. Losing bidding wars is deflating. IMO this is not good.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-05-01, 21:01

Having just bought the house and needing like another month before listing the old house, I would appreciate if it continues being mega crazy for at least another month or so.

I do wonder if the work we’re putting into the old house will really pay off. We’ll never know if we just listed it as is if we would have gotten the same offer as replacing the counters is going to get us (amongst other things). Either way though I imagine that we’ll be pleased with the money we get out of it if the insanity can just hold on for a month
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-05-01, 21:05

duffy munn wrote:
aualum06 wrote:My bro just got a house somewhere in Lansing, it was listed less than a day and he had to basically make the offer on the spot. My cousin sold hers in Lansing in less than 24 hours as well. Crazy

It's gone well beyond crazy. Sellers are receiving a dozen offers over list within hours. Being a buyer is brutal right now. Losing bidding wars is deflating. IMO this is not good.
I got a coworker looking ... he can't be relied on to show to meetings because at a moments notice he has to run to look at a house. It's been months and he's still looking.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-05-01, 21:07

duffy munn wrote:

There was one we really wanted in January. Long story short- we lost it to a bid that was exactly the same as ours. They must have flipped a coin or the other people were first or something. We ended up finding one that scored very similarly (if I had a scoring system) somethings better though right before interest rates started going up. Nothing like either of them has gone on the market since so if we didn’t get the second one I can’t imagine how pissed we’d be right now
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-05-01, 21:12

Talked to my dad, my brother had his listed at 11, guy in the door at 1130 offering 25k over list.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbersDude 2022-05-01, 21:28

Can I post gardening/farming pictures or someone will get upset?

Last edited by NumbersDude on 2022-05-02, 00:39; edited 1 time in total
NumbersDude
NumbersDude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-05-01, 21:45

My strawberries are well behind the grass growing.in them
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-05-29, 19:06

Did the vinegar experiment at roughly 22% acetic acid.  It killed some grass in the sidewalk and driveway cracks but fairly ineffective on anything else.  Resprayed today using what I had left of Roundup 365.  Ordered some Ortho Ground Clear today and gonna give that a try.  Looked at RM43.  That stuff appears to kill everything in the spray area...not quite what I'm looking for.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-05-29, 20:12

Got two strawberries that might be ready to pick tomorrow. First row of radishes up. Potatoes starting to pop up. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, watermelon, muskmelon and some lettuce planted yesterday
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-06-22, 13:37

my cherry tomato plants are growing out of control. Producing some small fruit, probably maturing in the next 14 days or so. Jalapenos are coming in.

was just out staking up my tomato plants, winding my cucumbers through a lattice (your mom likes my cucumber to wind through her lattice), and my squash is looking just smashing.

little early to tell on my yellow and red peppers, but the leafy vegetation looks very healthy

Been really dry on my East Lansing farm of late. The grass is pretty crispy in spots. I hate having to water - I prefer natural irrigation - but I've been doing quite a bit of it lately.

(watering the crops, I mean. I don't care about the grass).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

aualum06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-06-23, 00:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:my cherry tomato plants are growing out of control. Producing some small fruit, probably maturing in the next 14 days or so. Jalapenos are coming in.

was just out staking up my tomato plants, winding my cucumbers through a lattice (your mom likes my cucumber to wind through her lattice), and my squash is looking just smashing.

little early to tell on my yellow and red peppers, but the leafy vegetation looks very healthy

Been really dry on my East Lansing farm of late. The grass is pretty crispy in spots. I hate having to water - I prefer natural irrigation - but I've been doing quite a bit of it lately.

(watering the crops, I mean. I don't care about the grass).

I didn't do any edibles this year, just flowers. I did give my mom a tomato plant for Mother's Day. The thing is enormous. Fruit is starting to sprut. Been a good growing season. I haven't had to water much this year (flowers). Mother nature has been (mostly) taking care of it for me.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-06-23, 09:59

Things coming in well, potatoes look good as well as the melons and tomatoes and broccoli. Strawberries produced well and the radishes and lettuce are starting to be consumed.

Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 Pxl_2048
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-07-08, 11:52

my cherry tomato plant is literally over taking the garden and might very well overtake the house at some point.

I'm thinking I might have to prune it a little, as it really is impacting a tomato and squash plant. I'm afraid pruning it in the height of summer might damage it, though - I'll have to do some research.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-07-08, 12:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:my cherry tomato plant is literally over taking the garden and might very well overtake the house at some point.

I'm thinking I might have to prune it a little, as it really is impacting a tomato and squash plant. I'm afraid pruning it in the height of summer might damage it, though - I'll have to do some research.

I believe pruning it will make it grow more fruit if done right at least that's what people say
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-07-12, 12:20

We have 1 pot with cherry tomatoes and 1 cucumber one. Kind of sad to say this is our first time doing anything like that.
The cherry tomatoes are doing well. The cucumber plant not so much. We just got some ladybugs on it to help with these little bugs eating it. I can't tell if it's just that or it's a fungus as well. I'm hoping it's just the bugs because I think it's too far gone if it's a fungus
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-13, 19:10

(Continued from the Post your current weather status thread):

As a result, I’ve had to water everything. Fucking Mother Nature is messing with me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-14, 11:54

Dendrobates wrote:We have 1 pot with cherry tomatoes and 1 cucumber one. Kind of sad to say this is our first time doing anything like that.
The cherry tomatoes are doing well. The cucumber plant not so much. We just got some ladybugs on it to help with these little bugs eating it. I can't tell if it's just that or it's a fungus as well. I'm hoping it's just the bugs because I think it's too far gone if it's a fungus

Grab a couple pics and post them here for us to figure out, or do an image search. Or you can also find out by googling common cucumber growing problems and match your pic with those results. I hate cukes so I never grow them, but we might be able to ID what’s ailing them.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-07-31, 19:52

Put my gallon jug of sun dills together this morning.

Meanwhile a woodchuck has a hole that appeared in my potatoes the last few days.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-07-31, 19:59

Let my daughter pick what she wanted to plant. Watermelon, pumpkins, and cucumbers. Rat bastard chipmunks and doves arm to have obliterated the melon and cucumbers. Pumpkins thriving. Solidifies my belief that there is no logical use for pumpkins outside of ornamental use.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-07-31, 20:01

kingstonlake wrote:Let my daughter pick what she wanted to plant. Watermelon, pumpkins, and cucumbers. Rat bastard chipmunks and doves arm to have obliterated the melon and cucumbers. Pumpkins thriving. Solidifies my belief that there is no logical use for pumpkins outside of ornamental use.

I don't plant them anymore because they take over so much space
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-08-01, 09:30

kingstonlake wrote:Let my daughter pick what she wanted to plant. Watermelon, pumpkins, and cucumbers. Rat bastard chipmunks and doves arm to have obliterated the melon and cucumbers. Pumpkins thriving. Solidifies my belief that there is no logical use for pumpkins outside of ornamental use.

That is a big reason why I have been hesitant to grow a few things for fun. All my effort, and money spent to start it just for a few dollars of produce may not be worth it. Rabbits, birds, and chipmunks are likely to destroy it anyway. So why bother?
But my daughter had interest in it for a second. I do have a decent amount of cherry tomatoes (and damn are they really sweet).

I think the lady bugs helped with my cucumber plant. I also believe my issue was that the cucumbers weren't getting fertilized. I had it mixed up. I thought the flower with the start of a cucumber meant it was already fertilized. But really, it's the female flower that will turn into a full grown cucumber if it's fertilized. So I watched a video, and inseminated the 2 that I've got. You learn as you go right?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-01, 13:30

my cherry tomatoes and jalapenos are prolific. The squash and zuchini are coming in nicely. Not looking like a great year for my tomatoes but, but still holding out hope.

red and yellow bell peppers are so-so. They seem to be getting squeezed out by the cherry tomatoes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-08-11, 16:30

First muskmelon today and the woodchuck has been trapped
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-09-16, 17:02

It’s pretty much consensus that the barberry bush is the most useless, ugly, POS thing you could have in your yard, right?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-09-16, 17:09

Did anyone plant Brussels sprout this season?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2022-09-16, 19:45

kingstonlake wrote:It’s pretty much consensus that the barberry bush is the most useless, ugly, POS thing you could have in your yard, right?

It's also an invasive species. You're supposed to get rid of them... for realz.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-09-16, 19:49

Pop goes the weasel.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-09-17, 09:25

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Pop goes the weasel.

or in my case, the mole(s)
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-17, 09:31

kingstonlake wrote:It’s pretty much consensus that the barberry bush is the most useless, ugly, POS thing you could have in your yard, right?

Crabgrass?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-05-06, 09:20

Tulips are showing out today

Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 20230511
Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 20230512
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-05-06, 09:22

Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 20230513
Bob how's your garden? - Page 7 20230514
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next