Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Irma

+26
By-Tor
kingstonlake
pulling69
tTy
TheReal_LWS
Heat Miser
Other Teams Pursuing That
Wally Fairway
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
Death Roe
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
DWags
The Pantry
I.B. Fine
Dendrobates
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
30 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 Empty Re: Hurricane Irma

Post by Heat Miser 2017-09-08, 18:48

FYI...95 is clear to Daytona.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-09-08, 18:55

Just got this info from a friend of mine in case anyone is still considering options...

+++++++++++

here is a snap shot for getting out of Dodge from Mel  FBO is FIxed Base Operation afa private airport
PC 12 is the Pilatus turbo prop   AOPA is the Pilots association  

Mel
I don't "know" anyone operating down there...

BUT,

I just ran the numbers on using jets for MIA and MCO for departures to STL and DFW....it worked out to $1,300 to $1,666./seat.

So....what I'd do is get them onto Eljet at: http://www.ellejet.com/tools.php  

AND...They should try and assemble as large a group willing to go to the same place up north to spread the costs..BEFORE they call this place... They are Brokers, but have deep resources... ie: know where different birds are sitting and waiting for a flight order... I'd suggest they look at a PC-12 load OR even a Westwind/older lear at the $2K per hour price point...they need to aim for Jackson, MI I'd think...closest/shortest flight time, gets them "behind" and "below" the beast...nothing to the "north" does this close in/short miles...I looked at STL/DFW for this same reasoning...

Where can they get to for pick up?...MIA is NOT a good choice...Orlando is much better today/tonight...

Other, small fields are very usable too...depends on the acft used...

There is also a chance they could call AOPA HQ up in MD...ask for the flight planning department...ask them for some names and numbers of FBO's operating recip SEL, like C-210 or PA-30 some place in MI/LA/East EX/OK/AR area... it is about an 800 mil run down into MCO +/- ... say 4hr one way and the same return... these can hold 6 people max, and 2 should be short people!..but, around $400/hr should cover such birds.. 5 seats paying, 8 hr round trip...is only like $500/seat or so...

Sorry, this is the best I can do at this late date...
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-08, 19:21

Heat Miser wrote:FYI...95 is clear to Daytona.
Daytona and north up to Jacksonville are starting to look like the most favorable places to be in FL.

A friend and his family lived in the Miami area for 20 years before buying a place in Hernando Beach a few months ago. Was on a business trip and finally got back home today to button things up...putting the shutters up tomorrow.

The Gulf coast looks like it's gonna get hammered worse than Charlie in 2004.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-08, 19:26

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Props to the European model for once again nailing the path almost perfectly. As is too often the case, the American model was an also-ran.
??? The European model had the thing turning north sooner so the storm would have stayed in the Atlantic.

I believe you are mistaken. That was the American model.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-08, 19:28

Wrong thread...
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-08, 19:37

Floyd Robertson wrote:Wrong thread...

Oops. Still an interesting article, and by interesting, I mean maddening.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-08, 19:54

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
???   The European model had the thing turning north sooner so the storm would have stayed in the Atlantic.

I believe you are mistaken. That was the American model.
Hard for either the European or US models to be wrong with both offering multiple models.  The only European model I previously saw was the Atlantic side path in this pic

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 Europe10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-08, 23:30

Winds are picking up again. back up to 160 sustained. Shifting west a bit. Now worried about my work peeps more than you message boardings folks. Our office is in an evac zone and they put an auto response on all ~ 800 employees emails that the office is closed on Monday with a support # for clients.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-08, 23:33

Well, Miami is now outside of the cone of death, but just barely. If it came up the right side of the cone, we'd still get our ass beat. We still are probably going to get winds that are equivalent to a Cat 1 or Cat 2, but 24 hours ago, we were looking certain to get Cat 4-5 winds. It's a very weird feeling to be hopeful that we will get Cat 1-2 level winds. What a monstrous bitch Irma is to make that a good scenario.

I feel for the folks on the Gulf coast, though. The longer it keeps going West before turning North, the better for them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-08, 23:41

We'll see how they look in the morning. Just know that Bob will be praying for you all in case he hasn't already told you 18 times.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-09-08, 23:53

Thoughts and prayers for everyone in Florida and also in the islands and stuff too but focused thoughts, and prayers, on Florida. I like to weigh my thoughts and prayers just to make sure that God knows that 90% of my thoughts and prayers are targeted at those of you in Florida and 10% towards those people elsewhere. I wouldn't want those thoughts and prayers getting sent somewhere they shouldn't be. 

I mean, looks it'd be easy for me to say "thoughts and prayers for everybody impacted" but then you have to share my thoughts and prayers. I just want to make sure that God knows that my thoughts and prayers are not equal for everybody. It's important.

Bob is probably gone for the the weekend but i believe he echoes my sentiment. Maybe slight different weighting on his thoughts and prayers. I'm not sure.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-09-09, 01:43

Use to live in Naples. Still have many friends there. Most all are riding it out.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-09, 02:36

kingstonlake wrote:Use to live in Naples. Still have many friends there. Most all are riding it out.

Naples should be the plural of nipples. Hurricane Irma - Page 6 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-09-09, 03:00

This is kinda cool.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-09, 05:48

Looking at the vid Weather Channel is showing of Irma's actual path it is bouncing along Cuba. Sorta looks like it might just blow through the Florida Straits and out into the Gulf instead of turning north.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-09-09, 07:05

The Pantry wrote:Looking at the vid Weather Channel is showing of Irma's actual path it is bouncing along Cuba. Sorta looks like it might just blow through the Florida Straits and out into the Gulf instead of turning north.

That would be the best possible outcome.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-09, 07:46

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Looking at the vid Weather Channel is showing of Irma's actual path it is bouncing along Cuba. Sorta looks like it might just blow through the Florida Straits and out into the Gulf instead of turning north.

That would be the best possible outcome.
Would be great for Florida but the thing would pick up strength again and slam somewhere else
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-09-09, 08:10

I think it's headed for the Krispy Kreme on Ponce.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 11:42

Fuck. Just called a guy I used to buy from. His daughter is still in Naples. I told him to talk her into coming over here. I really don't think Naples is equipped to deal with this.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 11:53

She's staying somewhere that has impact windows, so should be ok and is about 10 miles inland, so should be out of the surge area's.

Another tidbit, produce prices is going to be expensive this winter.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-09-09, 11:58

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 At201711_model

My 80+ year old father and his wife are intent to ride it out in Ft. Myers, despite the hounding of all their children to bug out. Wasn't so big a deal a couple days ago when it looked like Miami was toast, but now they are dead center.
Basically live in a swamp at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, I think he's 10' above sea level.
I told him he better have a step ladder under the attic access for when the water starts coming in and hope the roof is still there. Hurricane Irma - Page 6 294152859
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 12:03

I.B. Fine wrote:Hurricane Irma - Page 6 At201711_model

My 80+ year old father and his wife are intent to ride it out in Ft. Myers, despite the hounding of all their children to bug out. Wasn't so big a deal a couple days ago when it looked like Miami was toast, but now they are dead center.
Basically live in a swamp at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, I think he's 10' above sea level.
I told him he better have a step ladder under the attic access for when the water starts coming in and hope the roof is still there. Hurricane Irma - Page 6 294152859
He should really go inland if he can. I wish him good luck, they are readjusting the surge level on the west side of the state, he shouldn't be near any rivers or the Gulf. Do anything you can to get him to move.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-09-09, 12:06

InTenSity wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

He should really go inland if he can. I wish him good luck, they are readjusting the surge level on the west side of the state, he shouldn't be near any rivers or the Gulf. Do anything you can to get him to move.

6 grown children and many friends have been trying, have offers to stay at friends homes inland, but stubbornness runs strong in my family, common sense, not so much.
I think the house is pretty solid and in a somewhat protected area so it probably will take the wind, but he is underestimating the storm surge potential, I fear, and the inability to get anywhere if the shit hits the fan.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 12:09

I.B. Fine wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

6 grown children and many friends have been trying, have offers to stay at friends homes inland, but stubbornness runs strong in my family, common sense, not so much.
I think the house is pretty solid and in a somewhat protected area so it probably will take the wind, but he is underestimating the storm surge potential, I fear, and the inability to get anywhere if the shit hits the fan.
Florida Emergency Information Line -- 800-342-3557

The Florida Emergency Information Line (FEIL) is a toll-free hotline activated at the time of an emergency to provide an additional resource for those in Florida to receive accurate and up-to-date information regarding an emergency or disaster situation impacting the State of Florida.

FEIL line is currently activated and available 24 hours/7 days a week.

Call them. Explain the situation. Maybe they can still get someone out there to get him out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 12:13

LEE 239-533-0622

That's the number for Lee County emergency.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-09-09, 12:15

InTenSity wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Florida Emergency Information Line -- 800-342-3557

The Florida Emergency Information Line (FEIL) is a toll-free hotline activated at the time of an emergency to provide an additional resource for those in Florida to receive accurate and up-to-date information regarding an emergency or disaster situation impacting the State of Florida.

FEIL line is currently activated and available 24 hours/7 days a week.

Call them. Explain the situation. Maybe they can still get someone out there to get him out.
Appreciate the info, I'll pass it along. He is actually in great shape for his age and is perfectly capable of getting in his car and driving, but his mind is made up and I just hope the storm surge isn't more than 10', or just up to his floor level, which is still 3' above the garage floor.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2017-09-09, 12:34

It's apparently raining like crazy in the Keys already. I was in Key West a couple years ago and it rained pretty hard for 1.5-2 hours and the water in the street between Sloppy Joe's and Captn Tony's was knee deep.
Throw in a little tidal surge and I can't imagine what this will be like.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-09, 13:57

They are saying the surge could be 10-15 feet in the Naples and Ft. Myers areas.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 14:00

I was just watching a Key West webcam, there are some really fucking stupid people that this storm is going to get rid of.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-09, 15:19

InTenSity wrote:I was just watching a Key West webcam, there are some really fucking stupid people that this storm is going to get rid of.

Yep, the ol' surge and purge.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-09, 16:32

Miami.

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 DJTuHN-W4AARhYC
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 16:57

Feeder band. My concern now is the tornados.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-09, 17:37

InTenSity wrote:I was just watching a Key West webcam, there are some really fucking stupid people that this storm is going to get rid of.

This is why it's a bad idea to stand at the southernmost point as a hurricane is approaching.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-09, 17:50

The Pantry wrote:

This is why it's a bad idea to stand at the southernmost point as a hurricane is approaching.

IIRC, that's not even the southernmost point. It's actually somewhere else nearby.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-09-09, 17:59

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

IIRC, that's not even the southernmost point. It's actually somewhere else nearby.
Yeah, just to the West, it is further South, but that's a military base.

But "The Southernmost Point Accessible By Civilians" doesn't fit as nicely on t-shirts.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-09, 20:26

Check out this post-Irma video from the U.S.Virgin Islands.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/906669462736265216
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 20:45

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 QwfJHuv
I'm the blue dot. \./
Can someone edit the size if needed?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-09-09, 20:52

How certain are they that this thing tracks north instead of northwest toward New Orleans? I'd be sleeping restless in the big easy
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-09-09, 20:54

By-Tor wrote:How certain are they that this thing tracks north instead of northwest toward New Orleans? I'd be sleeping restless in the big easy
at this point they're pretty certain it's going up Florida.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-09, 21:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, just to the West, it is further South, but that's a military base.

But "The Southernmost Point Accessible By Civilians" doesn't fit as nicely on t-shirts.

Hurricane Irma - Page 6 502811600

The alternative would be just as long but kinda cool. "I got thrown in the brig at the real southernmost point."
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next