Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Irma

+26
By-Tor
kingstonlake
pulling69
tTy
TheReal_LWS
Heat Miser
Other Teams Pursuing That
Wally Fairway
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
Death Roe
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
DWags
The Pantry
I.B. Fine
Dendrobates
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
30 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Hurricane Irma - Page 2 Empty Re: Hurricane Irma

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:54 am

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Was just out and saw big lines at gas stations, like 3-5 cars deep waiting. If it comes it won't be until Saturday or later. Are you people not going to leave your house all week? Weird. Hell, maybe they all work really close and don't use 1/2 a tank or more per week like most people around here.

Mob mentality. If people perceive there will be a shortage, or prices will go up...they're going to get gas now.
Oh yeah, that's totally what it is. That and a sheep mentality. One guy says, "Oh, look, people are getting gas, I better get gas." Then the guy behind him says, "This guy in front of me is getting gas, he must know something, so I'm going to get some, too." And then a small line starts, and people are like, "Wow, look at this line for gas! We better get in line now or we'll miss out."

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Good luck dudes. If you want to flee to MI we'll find a place to put you up. It might be a pit in Travis' basement but at least it will be safe from Irma.
I'll take my chances with Irma, floating on an inner tube in the ocean, before going to Travis' pit.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:18 pm

No more flights out of S. Florida for the weekend. Southwest says all sold out. Delta says nothing available. I kinda wanted to put my kids on a flight to MI to stay for a couple of weeks. My work policy is stupidly insane, we have to take PTO, unless we're in Hurricane Warning. I just wish I knew where it was heading. I'm liking the CMC models though, but GFS is worrisome.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Death Roe wrote:I have a couch, a La-Z-Boy, and a pullout bed in my living room.

Heh.
Do you also have an explode inside her bed?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:32 pm

InTenSity wrote:No more flights out of S. Florida for the weekend. Southwest says all sold out. Delta says nothing available. I kinda wanted to put my kids on a flight to MI to stay for a couple of weeks. My work policy is stupidly insane, we have to take PTO, unless we're in Hurricane Warning. I just wish I knew where it was heading. I'm liking the CMC models though, but GFS is worrisome.

I remember your employer's ridiculous policy from the last time there was a chance for a major storm.

As for gfs and cnc models--I don't know what they are, but I always pay attention to the European model, which seems to be consistently more accurate than the American model.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pm

InTenSity wrote:No more flights out of S. Florida for the weekend. Southwest says all sold out. Delta says nothing available. I kinda wanted to put my kids on a flight to MI to stay for a couple of weeks. My work policy is stupidly insane, we have to take PTO, unless we're in Hurricane Warning. I just wish I knew where it was heading. I'm liking the CMC models though, but GFS is worrisome.
Schools closed at least Thursday and Friday. Employers should really follow the lead of schools in a situation like this. This isn't shaping up to be your typical storm, where big companies should just follow some strict policy. There's a time for policy and a time for common sense and humanity.

I've got cancelable hotel rooms booked in Tampa and Naples, in case this heads up the East coast, as that would at least give me 100 miles or so of cushion. But it could be over on the East side and still bring hurricane force winds over there. So I don't know at what point hotels shut down, or how safe they are.

At this point, with talk of this being the biggest, baddest Hurricane on record, if it ends up being far enough away that we "only" get Cat 1 or Cat 2 level winds, I'd take that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Scary stuff to have to deal with that. Good luck to you guys. Keep us updated
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:21 pm

A friend who is a news producer for one of the networks posted on Facebook that Irma could blow beyond a cat 5 storm into a hurricane with strength previously undocumented. Crazy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 pm

tGreenWay wrote:A friend who is a news producer for one of the networks posted on Facebook that Irma could blow beyond a cat 5 storm into a hurricane with strength previously undocumented. Crazy.
The libs are gonna blame it all on Trump
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:A friend who is a news producer for one of the networks posted on Facebook that Irma could blow beyond a cat 5 storm into a hurricane with strength previously undocumented. Crazy.

Hoo boy, you're gonna get it from Goose now. Oh wait, no you won't.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:11 pm

The Pantry wrote:

p.s. This friend of mine, when not working in news, spent years working for Michigan House Republicans. So, you know, that pesky liberal media.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

p.s. This friend of mine, when not working in news, spent years working for Michigan House Republicans. So, you know, that pesky liberal media.  
Glad there's someone of trust to keep you semi evenkeel on politics.  You should introduce him to Travis one of these days  Wink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Gas the car up. Book a hotel you can cancel in Valdosta.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:09 pm

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Glad there's someone of trust to keep you semi evenkeel on politics.  You should introduce him to Travis one of these days  Wink

Hurricane Irma - Page 2 502811600

Truth be told, every single one of the evening anchors I worked with were politically on the Right. One even listened to Rush afternoons while prepping for the 5 & 6. Another bitched about taxes most days. They were always truthful with storytelling, though.

Just one more nail in the coffin that is the myth of the liberal media. bom
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Couldn't we rename Irma to something more appropriate to match her power? Screw the alphabet rule: Lets go with Hurricane Racquel or Svetlana.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:27 pm

I can still book a flight out of FT Lauderdale on Saturday morning. I'm just unsure what to do. I don't really want to leave my wife behind. She's telling me to take the kids. Now it looks like they are saying it will be in the area as a Cat 4, which isn't as bad as 185 mph winds. Also, if it doesn't hit Miami directly it won't be too bad here, or shouldn't be. This would also mean I'm away for at least a week, and unable to do anything around here.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm

InTenSity wrote:I can still book a flight out of FT Lauderdale on Saturday morning. I'm just unsure what to do. I don't really want to leave my wife behind. She's telling me to take the kids. Now it looks like they are saying it will be in the area as a Cat 4, which isn't as bad as 185 mph winds. Also, if it doesn't hit Miami directly it won't be too bad here, or shouldn't be. This would also mean I'm away for at least a week, and unable to do anything around here.

Can you book it and buy insurance in case you want to cancel it?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Hurricane Irma - Page 2 502811600

Truth be told, every single one of the evening anchors I worked with were politically on the Right. One even listened to Rush afternoons while prepping for the 5 & 6. Another bitched about taxes most days. They were always truthful with storytelling, though.

Just one more nail in the coffin that is the myth of the liberal media. bom
Read Yahoo at lunch. Wanna choke those bitches.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Mob mentality.  If people perceive there will be a shortage, or prices will go up...they're going to get gas now.
Oh yeah, that's totally what it is.  That and a sheep mentality.  One guy says, "Oh, look, people are getting gas, I better get gas."  Then the guy behind him says, "This guy in front of me is getting gas, he must know something, so I'm going to get some, too."  And then a small line starts, and people are like, "Wow, look at this line for gas! We better get in line now or we'll miss out."

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Good luck dudes. If you want to flee to MI we'll find a place to put you up. It might be a pit in Travis' basement but at least it will be safe from Irma.
I'll take my chances with Irma, floating on an inner tube in the ocean, before going to Travis' pit.
Smart. That's smart.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 pm

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I can still book a flight out of FT Lauderdale on Saturday morning. I'm just unsure what to do. I don't really want to leave my wife behind. She's telling me to take the kids. Now it looks like they are saying it will be in the area as a Cat 4, which isn't as bad as 185 mph winds. Also, if it doesn't hit Miami directly it won't be too bad here, or shouldn't be. This would also mean I'm away for at least a week, and unable to do anything around here.

I read the insurance policy, kind of a gray area and I could see them denying the claim.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Do you have points? You can usually cancel flights booked with points with no penalty. Obviously you should check the policy first.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 pm

InTenSity wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I read the insurance policy, kind of a gray area and I could see them denying the claim.

I'd book some hotels that you can cancel in a few cities. Orlando...Gainesville...Tallahassee...Valdosta?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 pm

That's exactly what I would do most likely, though obviously not in your situation. Find a hotel somewhere out of the danger zone further upstate or on the left coast with an indoor pool and some amenities. Do any hotels have indoor pools/waterparks there? Will they get rain in Central Florida?

Book a condo or hotel room at the Mariott world center in Orlando.

Or hell scope air bnb for a house with a pool somewhere in that area.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

This storm could go right up the middle of Florida. If my wife didn't have to stay, we'd probably be gone. That's what's holding me back. I don't want to leave her. Going north might not get us out of trouble either.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Don't be a hero bro. Ask her what she wants you to do. Do exactly that.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:34 pm

InTenSity wrote:This storm could go right up the middle of Florida. If my wife didn't have to stay, we'd probably be gone. That's what's holding me back. I don't want to leave her. Going north might not get us out of trouble either.

How young are your kids?

This storm looks deadly. They're talking about the highest recorded wind speeds ever.

If Plan A is to stay, come up with a Plan B and C. Book some hotel rooms. Gainesville...Valdosta...something. Hopefully, you'll end up canceling them.

If this storm hits you, you're not going to want your kids in the middle of it.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Yeah and that's why you do what your wife tells you to do.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 pm

InTenSity wrote:This storm could go right up the middle of Florida. If my wife didn't have to stay, we'd probably be gone. That's what's holding me back. I don't want to leave her. Going north might not get us out of trouble either.
Unless your wife has a guarantee from her employer that you and your kids can stay at the hospital, your best bet is to let her do her job and you get your kids out of there. As Nigel suggested, Valdosta might be a good place if you can still get a room there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:03 pm

It's easy sitting in MI and making suggestions but st this late date I'd be looking to go to north and inland to a place like Albany GA. But with 19M-20M in the state and about 3M in Dade County leaving would be a heller.

InTenSity, all of us hope the storm takes a turn north and all you need to do is tolerate big rain while the storm stays off shore. Keep your family and yourself safe.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Unless your wife has a guarantee from her employer that you and your kids can stay at the hospital, your best bet is to let her do her job and you get your kids out of there. As Nigel suggested, Valdosta might be a good place if you can still get a room there.
We can stay at the hospital, but only us, her brother and his family can't. It is limited to children and spouses only. I believe we would have a place to sleep and food while there. I'd love for us to be able to put both kids on the plane and have my parents pick them up, but my son is too young to travel alone, according to the rules. I'll decide tomorrow.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:54 am

I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Too soon, Bob.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Too soon, Bob.
but thoughts and prayers work so well.. Hurricane Irma - Page 2 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am

Bob it's so too soon that it hasn't even happened yet. It's negative too soon. You have slipped into a time vortex in which it's so soon that I think it's technically 3 days from now where you are.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Bob it's so too soon that it hasn't even happened yet. It's negative too soon. You have slipped into a time vortex in which it's so soon that I think it's technically 3 days from now where you are.
so you're saying it's always too soon..? No

maybe I should just stick with my sports analysis and commentary.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Too soon, Bob.

To some people, they offer comfort. Not sure why this bothers you so much. Carry on.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:36 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

To some people, they offer comfort. Not sure why this bothers you so much. Carry on.
Hurricane Irma - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Bob it's so too soon that it hasn't even happened yet. It's negative too soon. You have slipped into a time vortex in which it's so soon that I think it's technically 3 days from now where you are.
so you're saying it's always too soon..?   No

maybe I should just stick with my sports analysis and commentary.
Sometimes it's too soon other times it's too late. Which if my math is right happened 3 days ago.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:38 am

Just heard that Spirit is probably ceasing operations Friday afternoon. Tracks now have it downgraded to just a Major Cat 3, but probably a Cat 4 on landfall. As long as its not a cat 5, I feel better. Thanks WBH for reaching out, although I really don't think there is a way to get out of here once you get down here by plane.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

My wife told my daughter to pray. If it makes my daughter feel better, I'm not going to say anything. If it makes my wife feel better, I'm not going to stop that, even if I don't necessarily believe in it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:45 am

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

My wife told my daughter to pray. If it makes my daughter feel better, I'm not going to say anything. If it makes my wife feel better, I'm not going to stop that, even if I don't necessarily believe in it.
your support of free speech and freedom of thought makes you a great American.

good luck with things, dude!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next